PDA

View Full Version : KNITTED HAT, POMPOM OR NO POMPOM? DISCUSS !

steff
02-19-2007, 02:28 AM
Hey everyone,.... should a knitted cap have a pompom or not?
I.E does it look better with a pompom at the top/ pompom hanging down from the top? Or even 2 pompoms hanging down from drawstrings from the top?

Now which gender wears a pompom on the hat?

Boys?
Girls?
Both?

This IS an issue,..im currently debating it with my BF :)

Now which age group of each gender would wear a pompom on their hat?

If you DONT want a pompom on your haT or if it scares the hell out of you then why not?

Jan in CA
02-19-2007, 04:53 AM
:teehee:

This is totally a personal issue of course. I'm not generally a pompom person, but they look cute on kids and some hats for females.

Chrissie
02-19-2007, 05:54 AM
I love pompoms on hats...they look so cute@!

humblestumble
02-19-2007, 06:42 AM
No pompoms here for me. I don't really like them. If it was for a baby, I might consider it though. But I try to make them look funny. I will have a kid that's sillied to death.

Knitting_Guy
02-19-2007, 07:56 AM
They're ok for a kid's hat, but just look silly on an adult.

five_six
02-19-2007, 08:01 AM
yeah, no pompoms for me either, and I don't even like them on kids stuff :shrug:

Are we helping you win the war at all? :teehee: Or is all lost...

zkimom
02-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Pom poms are great for babies and toddlers.

After age 5 -- no pom poms.

I remember when my son was 3 or 4 we were at the lake swimming and a woman I knew casually came with her son of the same age.

Poor little tyke -- she had him wearing one of those baseball caps with the propeller on the top! :teehee: OMG! It looked so ridiculous on him that to this day when I see him (he's gotta be 12 or 13!) I can't get that image out of my head.

It was then I vowed I would never humiliate any of my children in that manner, ever. (ok, so I did lick and stick cheerios to their little faces when I was bored, but I never took them out in public that way!)

Nope, nothing silly on the tops of my hats.

Best,
Susan

Guin
02-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Pom poms are great for big kids crafts..making animals .

I wouldn't use them on a babies or toddlers hats or clothing ..too much of a choking hazard.

Ingrid
02-19-2007, 10:14 AM
There is a very large, male crisis worker at work who wears an ear-flapped, pom-pom laden hat. He's trying for the wierdest hat contest, I think. But to be honest, only he could pull it off. :teehee: Pom poms for little children who beg for them.

miccisue
02-19-2007, 10:40 AM
I'd vote no pom pom. They do kind of cover up the place at the top where the yarn is gathered, but that's about it.

Besides that, all my attempts to make pom poms come out less than even mediocre. They all look like they're going bald.....no matter how many much yarn I wrap and tie, they are the skimpiest, ugliest, un-full pom poms anyone has ever seen. :verysad:

msoebel
02-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Personally, I vote UGH on pom-poms. Teen girls can pull them off on the top of their hats, or little children. Grown ups should probably avoid them, although they can look look in SMALL sizes on the ends of strings attached to ear flaps (think snow boarder hat).

Of course, I am not a fan of the fringe either, so I may not be a reliable source on this.

Misty

nadja la claire
02-19-2007, 11:48 AM
I say no pom-poms. I can't stand them :ick: even for kids hats.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

steff
02-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Thank you for your views BUT ive seen a lot of young males i.e. college boys wearing woollen cap with a pompom at the top and guess what?

They ALL have GF's!!!
Not only that the pompom does cover up the part where the yarn gathers :)
:cheering:

aylaanne
02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Alright Steff, here's my vote.

I refuse to make a hat without a pom pom. People ask me to make them hats and I warn them, it will have a pom pom, and if they don't like it they should go buy a pom-less hat. I even put a bell in the pom on my brother's hat. I just don't know of any other way to do it. :rofl:

steff
02-19-2007, 09:13 PM

I refuse to make a hat without a pom pom. People ask me to make them hats and I warn them, it will have a pom pom, and if they don't like it they should go buy a pom-less hat. I even put a bell in the pom on my brother's hat. I just don't know of any other way to do it. :rofl:

You put a bell on the pompom ??? What does that mean?
refuse to make a hat without pompom?
Good on ya! :cheering:
Snowboarders and skiers wear hats with pompoms, so why not !
My Bf wears a hat with a pompom , if he were to refuse hed know about it LOL

How old is your brother ayalaane?

steff
02-19-2007, 09:14 PM
Personally, I vote UGH on pom-poms. Teen girls can pull them off on the top of their hats, or little children. Grown ups should probably avoid them, although they can look look in SMALL sizes on the ends of strings attached to ear flaps (think snow boarder hat).

Of course, I am not a fan of the fringe either, so I may not be a reliable source on this.

Misty

which fringe do you refer to?

aylaanne
02-19-2007, 09:42 PM

You put a bell on the pompom ??? What does that mean?
refuse to make a hat without pompom?
Good on ya! :cheering:
Snowboarders and skiers wear hats with pompoms, so why not !
My Bf wears a hat with a pompom , if he were to refuse hed know about it LOL

How old is your brother ayalaane?

When I made my brother's pom pom, I did it like a normal pom, by wrapping yarn around a cardboard square and then sliding the loops off and tying it in the middle. But when I tied it, I attached a bell to the string that I was tying it with. When I cut the loops, the bell was hidden.

My brother is 23, and my husband is 27, and he was the recipient of the first pom pom hat I made:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/aylaanne/PICT0109.jpg

syndactylus
02-19-2007, 09:55 PM
just to be contrary, I'm going to have to go with earmuffs.

madametj
02-19-2007, 10:43 PM
gotta admit i hate pom-pommed hats with a passion

steff
02-20-2007, 06:47 PM
When I made my brother's pom pom, I did it like a normal pom, by wrapping yarn around a cardboard square and then sliding the loops off and tying it in the middle. But when I tied it, I attached a bell to the string that I was tying it with. When I cut the loops, the bell was hidden.

My brother is 23, and my husband is 27, and he was the recipient of the first pom pom hat I made:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f376/aylaanne/PICT0109.jpg[/quote]

Nice pic aylaane!!!
What a great hat!!!
Personally ive always prefferd the pompom to be up on top rather than flopping over,
Me personally i always have my hat a bit bigger so it can flop over and the pompom either flops over to the side or to the back.
My BF has his pompom right on top though :happydance:

Which do you prefer? pompom on top? or flopepd to the side?

steff
02-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi Aylaane
Which do you think is better then?
Also have u any more pics of those hats?

Everyone else,
Post your views

Kirochka
02-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Unless it's the Jayne hat (http://redshirtknitting.com/?page_id=222), in which case it MUST have a pom pom...! :teehee:

zazzu
02-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Unless it's the Jayne hat, in which case it MUST have a pom pom...!

Oh, I LOVE Jayne Cobb's hat! Only a real man could pull that off (or a man not afraid of anything).

I would never wear a pom-pom hat. But then, I hate hats of any kind and refuse to wear them except in extreme cold. Fortunately, I live in Southern California.

But I love it when other people wear pom-pom hats, because I get to laugh at them behind their backs! Okay, not really, I don't do that (I just smile). But it is entertaining to see people in goofy-looking hats. :D

BTW, I've never made a hat - can the pom-pom be done in a contrasting color? I'd love to see a neon-orange-and-green pom-pom on a conservative black hat. Again...free entertainment. And ya gotta admit, it would take guts to wear it. :teehee:

steff
02-22-2007, 12:12 PM
The jayne hat is undoubtely a girls hat.
Men look good in a ribbed hat with a pompom

as for contrasting colors, i would say that Black with a white pompom is nice and smart
or even white with a dark blue pompom.
My BF wears an army green one with a Black pompom :muah:
and oh boy doesnt he look HOT HOT HOT!!!

Kirochka
02-22-2007, 05:39 PM
The jayne hat is undoubtely a girls hat.

"Man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." Jayne Cobb is most definitely a man. :eyebrow:

brownishcoat
02-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Jayne ain't no girl! He'll show you his man parts, if you're still not convinced. :teehee:

DianaM
02-22-2007, 06:06 PM
:heart: Jayne

As for pompons, I really don't care much about them. Plus my cat would eat them.

steff
02-22-2007, 07:59 PM
LOL!!!
So this "jayne" is a man???

Aylaane where are you?

aylaanne
02-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Hey steff sorry I've been absent my mom went in the hospital yesterday with gall bladder issues, and I had to go and stand in for her with her husband and two kids while they tried to move. I've been a little stressed.

Anyways, Um, most of the pom poms I've made so far have been floppy poms, but I don't mind close-fitting poms either. I like them because I think they add a bit of levity to the garment, and most of the time I think that touch of silliness is a good thing. If someone I'm knitting for isn't confident enough to go outside in a hat that may, or probably, make them look silly to many of the people in the street, then they're probably not confident enough to wear my knitting, period. So for me it's a philosophical thing as well as an artistic thing.

I do think they look kind of silly, but I like that. And, for the record, I don't wear hats because my hair is nearly always in a french twist, so instead I made a version of Calorimetry from knitty and I wear that when it's cold enough.

steff
02-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey steff sorry I've been absent my mom went in the hospital yesterday with gall bladder issues, and I had to go and stand in for her with her husband and two kids while they tried to move. I've been a little stressed.

Anyways, Um, most of the pom poms I've made so far have been floppy poms, but I don't mind close-fitting poms either. I like them because I think they add a bit of levity to the garment, and most of the time I think that touch of silliness is a good thing. If someone I'm knitting for isn't confident enough to go outside in a hat that may, or probably, make them look silly to many of the people in the street, then they're probably not confident enough to wear my knitting, period. So for me it's a philosophical thing as well as an artistic thing.

I do think they look kind of silly, but I like that. And, for the record, I don't wear hats because my hair is nearly always in a french twist, so instead I made a version of Calorimetry from knitty and I wear that when it's cold enough.

Hey Aylaane
Hope your mum gets better soon.

you said about confidence to wear a pompomed hat
now that is sooooooo true!!!
If a man wasnt confident enuff to wear a hat with a pompom outside then hes not my kinda man period!

Kirochka
02-22-2007, 09:00 PM
LOL!!!

:teehee: Steff, Jayne Cobb is a character on the (tragically cancelled) TV series Firefly (http://imdb.com/title/tt0303461/), and was played by the very-much-a-man Adam Baldwin. In one of the episodes, he receives a hat knitted by his mother. That's the hat we're talking about!

From the series:

Jayne: Well, I say as a rule that girlfolk ain't to be trusted.
River: Jayne is a girl's name.
Jayne: Well Jayne ain't a girl. She starts on that "girl's name" thing, I'm a show her good an' all I got man parts.
Simon: I'm trying to think of a way for you to be cruder. It's just not coming.

:muah:

steff
02-23-2007, 06:34 AM

LOL
I know what you mean, leave the hat wearing to the boys :)
pompoms and all :)

steff
02-23-2007, 08:11 PM
LOL!!!

:teehee: Steff, Jayne Cobb is a character on the (tragically cancelled) TV series Firefly (http://imdb.com/title/tt0303461/), and was played by the very-much-a-man Adam Baldwin. In one of the episodes, he receives a hat knitted by his mother. That's the hat we're talking about!

From the series:

Jayne: Well, I say as a rule that girlfolk ain't to be trusted.
River: Jayne is a girl's name.
Jayne: Well Jayne ain't a girl. She starts on that "girl's name" thing, I'm a show her good an' all I got man parts.
Simon: I'm trying to think of a way for you to be cruder. It's just not coming.

:muah:

A lot of men end up receiving hats knitted by their mums
i think that those same men should honor their mums efforts by wearing the hats!
pompom or no pompom!
men should wear the hats if their mums/sisters/wives/GF's knit them

End of!!!

steff
02-25-2007, 08:53 PM

Misty

What do you mean by a fringe?

steff
02-28-2007, 08:55 PM
I soooooooo Wish someone could join the crusade on my side :)
:??

steff
03-03-2007, 02:47 AM
Has this topic gone stale? or do people not want to join the crusade :)

steff
03-03-2007, 02:49 AM
Has this topic gone stale? or do people not want to join the crusade :)