PDA

View Full Version : I am new -- love the site

cmello
02-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Hi, my name is Carol and I just discovered this site last week and joined last friday. This is my first post.

I have only been knitting for one year. I have learned from books. It's great to find a site with free videos. I intend to order the CD.

I am left handed but knit right handed using the English method. I was told at a knitting convention in Santa Clara last year that the Continental method is faster. I just can't seem to get the hang of it...I have tried probably more than a dozen times. I can't even successful knit one stitch using it. :??

Should I keep trying or is there something about having to use the right hand needle to catch up stitches that makes it more difficult for southpaws?

Carol

nadja la claire
02-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi Carol Welcome. :waving:

The CD is a very good reference tool.

I'm an English knitter and I do just fine. I have the same problem with Conti knitting, one day I'll take the time to learn it but it's not like I go at a snails pace. You should do what's comfortable for you.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

miccisue
02-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Welcome, nice to have you here!

I really can't answer your question about the difficulty of a southpaw knitting continental, but I will say that although it does look faster (looks that way to me, too!) I think I'd stay with what I learned an am comfortable with. I'm not discouraging you from trying to learn continental as one of these days I'd like to learn it, too; but if you're like me, your free time is limited...and as I usually have at least 2 projects I need to complete, my practice time is limited so I stick with what I know.

Whichever, do what makes you happy....that's the whole point behind doing our craft. :wink: :thumbsup:

MaryS
02-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi Carol, :waving:

Welcome to the best knitting site in the world (IMHO).

I'm also a leftie who knits right handed English. I CAN knit Conti if I absolutely HAVE to (like there's a gun to my head, LOL), but it isn't as comfortable or natural for me as English is. And trying to PURL Conti is a lost cause.

Just do what feels right and makes you HAPPY. :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

There's NO wrong way to knit. :happydance: :happydance:

Happy Knitting xxx xxx

Mary

CarmenIbanez
02-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Welcome, welcome! And I agree, do what feels comfi and don't worry about the rest! I knit really weird, but it works for me!

cmello
02-19-2007, 01:41 PM
:hug:

thank you for the welcome and the advice.

I think I will give up on the Conti knitting. I am slow but will be satisfied with just being able to knit. Like the Slowski turtles say in the TV commercials, what's the hurry? where's the fire?

I tried LH knitting for years and always messed up. Finally decided to follow E. Zimmerman's advice and try RH knitting. It works!

Used to crochet for years. Love knitting so much better. Have knitting project on my bed. When I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep, pick up my knitting and knit away. Have fallen back asleep knitting. Funny to wake up with needles in your hands.

So far, have only completed scarfs, dish cloths, berets, and leg warmers. I was working on a pair of socks but I misplaced them and their pattern. Also working on my first sweater.

Carol

Knitting_Guy
02-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Welcome Carol.

I don't know the first thing about conti, so can't help you with your question. Sorry.

cmello
02-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi Knitting Guy,

I have an old IBM Laptop PC. Model A22p.

My son screwed it up playing games on it with the firewall turned off. Now it is so virus ridden, Windows is unusable.

It's old, it does not have DVD, just CD-RW.

Do you think I can install Linux on it? What would you suggest? I'd love to have a Linux system at home to play with.

Carol

cmello
02-19-2007, 02:17 PM
this is my work computer. (I am working right now, can't you tell?)

it has windows on and I have no choice. company laptop required setup.

Carol