PDA

View Full Version : OT: starting at McDonald's tonight!

hydeemarie
02-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Starting my first job @ McDonald's tonight. I'm kind of excited but kind of nervous!! What were your first jobs? experiences? :muah:

brendajos
02-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Well if I don't include walking beans (which was forced labor that I was paid for :D ) and babysitting then I would go with the movie theatre. Did the concession stand, video rentals, and ticket sales. Small town theatre. I LOVED it. Even after I quit there I still spent lots of time hanging out there and talking with the people I worked with. Free movies, soda, and popcorn, and video rentals.... what more could a teenager ask for?

mrs desert rain
02-19-2007, 04:33 PM
gosh, must be a small-town thing to work at the movie theatre! that was my first 'real' job as well, outside of babysitting and catching crickets (which my parents paid us a nickel to capture and release outside... again, small-town thing, i think...)

ETA: good luck on your first day!!! what will your role be?

dustinac
02-19-2007, 04:46 PM
:cheering: Congrats!!

Well beside babysitting... I would help out at a river rafting place that my friend's family owned.. nothing like scrubbing out dirty ol' river buses :rofl:

CateKnits
02-19-2007, 05:16 PM
My first job was handing out shirts and shoes to plebes (that's the newbies at the Naval Academy). I was jealous that I got stuck on t-shirts and my two friends got jock-strap duty! :roflhard: :roflhard:
We think it's funny that the Naval Academy hires a bunch of high school girls for two weeks every summer to do this. Mostly it's funny because the plebes, who were older than us, had to call us "ma'am" as we gave them their underwear. :teehee:

knit-errant
02-19-2007, 05:26 PM
Congrats! :)

My first job was teaching electric bass and guitar lessons.

My first "real" job was working as a tire buster, later moving on to mechanic. At least as far as the mechanic work went, we usually went onsite to work -- usually on work large trucks/semis . Really odd hours too; lots of places wanted their trucks worked on at night, after normal-people hours.

Being an 18 year old girl, I had to be twice as good to be thought half as compentent. That got old real quick. Dudes, it's a vagina; not a learning disability. (Can I say that w/o getting in trouble?) :wall:

Jan in CA
02-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Hmmm... I guess my very first job would be babysitting and at one point I stuffed newspapers for a few months. My first REAL job I guess would be hairdresser.

Congrats!

Stiney
02-19-2007, 06:53 PM
My first job was Dunkin Donuts when I was 15. It was boring, I smelled like coffee and donuts all the time :ick: (I like both, but smelling like them is ick), the uniform was scratchy, and the counter was positioned so that in the afternoon, the setting sun was in my eyes.

Oh, and my manager stole our tip money.

bjc1050
02-19-2007, 07:13 PM
At the age of 15 I worked at the lunch/soda fountain counter in a local drugstore for $.50 an hour and had to mop the floor for the entire store at closing time (guess that really dates me, lol). Babysitting for the same pay was much easier...didn't have to clean the house - just pick up after the kids and myself. Soon as I got my license, I moved up to working at Tastee Freeze for $1.25 per hour.

XbelovedXoneX
02-19-2007, 07:24 PM
besides babysitting, my first job was as a waitress at a retirement home. It wasn't quite a nursing home because most of the people that lived there were completely independent. I actually worked there for 2 years! It was fun sometimes because it was all high school kids, and hell the other times when others took everything way too seriously.

Chrissie
02-19-2007, 07:50 PM
My first job was working in a haunted house....I dressed up as a scary dead zombie and jumped out at people.... :teehee:

Brrlracinbt
02-19-2007, 08:03 PM
My first job was making subs at Subway... I hated smelling like a sandwich all the time!

snowbear
02-19-2007, 08:18 PM
First real job was working for the state at a Park, giving tours for Pawnee Bill's Museum...I learned about FICA.. and hated it, lol

wow... ok really feel old now....( just going to hobble over w/ my cane and sit in rocking chair..) gezzzz was it really that long ago? I was 15... no comment on how long that has been....

jmp3775
02-19-2007, 09:02 PM
I worked at the video/photo store in town when I was 14. I worked there until I was 19. Free movie rentals and photo developing- it wasnt too bad.

vaknitter
02-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Enjoy McDonald's !! Believe it or not that was my first job too (other than babysitting). We were living in Utah at the time and the legal work age was 14 so I got the job at McD's the day school let out in 9th grade. I really got the job b/c that summer my parents were flying me to visit my best friend in Hawaii and I needed spending money so I only worked there for one summer then we moved. (yes, I am a Navy brat)

For what's worth I really enjoyed the Golden Arches - keep in mind this was 17 yrs ago - I worked early morning on the drive thru.

The best part - if my drawer was balanced at the end of my shift I got a free ice cream cone - WOOHOO. and I still love McD's ice cream.

Krystal
02-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Hey a fellow Mickie D'er... haha.

My first job aside from babysitting my very first job was with McDonald's when I was 15. I won't lie. I HATED it. But only because of one perticular manager... I quit after 3 months because I didn't need the job I just wanted one and after 3 months of crying going in and crying leaving because of the *** hole, I just didn't want to work anymore.

I ended up 3 years later, getting another job with McDonald's but at a different store. Turns out EVERYONE hates and loathes and detests the store I had started with. And the store I ended up at was amazing. I loved the people and my job too. The people make all the difference.

I have since decided to stay with the company. I transferred to another store in my city that had a full time position available and I couldn't be happier. (I even met my fiance there!)

Will you be working Service or Kitchen? I have done both, and I HATTTTTED service... but I am not much of a people person. Working in kitchen is soooo much fun. (tho you have to get used to the minor burns you inevitably get)

I hope your first job experience is a whole lot better than mine. It's always depending on the people you work with because they create the work environment... I hope they are great!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

DianaM
02-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Paid: Cashier at a thrift store. Did translations and jewelry sorting when I was off the register. Then came CNA, Cook and CNA again.

Unpaid jobs: library assistant and while doing my practice: psyche ward, therapist and working with abused and abandoned children.

hydeemarie
02-19-2007, 09:40 PM
I worked the front cash register tonight!! :wall: It was very confusing at first, but after a bit, I understood alot! :happydance:

CateKnits
02-19-2007, 09:51 PM
I was going to mention, my second job was at a McDonald's...I kept it for five days. They trained me for two hours, then left me on counter alone when three buses came in. After my fourth shift, one of the managers informed me that I would not get paid because they had no record of hiring me. I never did end up getting any money. :-x
But, I've known a bunch of people that have worked there (that store, even) with no problems. My friend enjoyed it! I'm much happier in a job where I don't have to talk to the public. :teehee: I'm sure that says a lot.

Krystal
02-19-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm much happier in a job where I don't have to talk to the public. :teehee: I'm sure that says a lot.

haha, that's why I much prefer doing Kitchen or Maintenance. Especially maintenance because I don't talk to anyone I don't want to.

I enjoyed working the register at first, but my natural hermit-ness shone through eventually and I started to really dislike it.

Eloewien
02-20-2007, 12:19 AM
My first job was Taco Bell... and after a while, I did it all. Opening prep in the morning, closing cleanup at night, front register, drive thru, line work. I was kinda their universal person to fill in wherever needed. It was when I was 16 (parents made me get a job as soon as I could drive myself there). I couldn't get a job sooner because there wasn't a job within walking distance that the felt was safe for a 15 year old... also they worried about me walking 2+ miles through Richmond, VA at night.

Now, 10 years later, I'm a technical trainer at a tech support callcenter. I wish I could go back to the simplicity of Taco Bell, but it doesn't pay enough to cover my morgage...

Oh- and if you don't like kids- don't go after my second job- Chuck E. Cheese... I walked out one day cuz the kids and evil manager got to me...

Good luck at McDs!

imported_Knitty_Kat
02-20-2007, 12:56 AM
Congrats on your first job. I had my first job at thirteen. I took care of other peoples' horses in exchange for free board for my horse. Got up every morning at 4am because my dad had to take me to muck stalls and turn the horses out before he went into work.

When I turned 16, I got my first "real" job as a cashier at Publix. I hated it so much that I quit after only five weeks. I actually had a guy come in every Tuesday afternoon and I guess he had OCD (or he had nothing better to do than be an arse) because he would always pay in $100 bills and demand his change back, in order starting with the highest denomination bill and then finishing up by handing him quarters, dimes, nickels and lastly pennies. If I didn't give him his change back in the proper order, he'd throw it at me and demand I do it again. Me being me by about the third time he threw his change back at my face I was fed up and called him a ****. In my blind rage, I probably had a few other choice names for him that I can't recall. I was subsequently written up. The final straw was the woman who came through my checkout and asked me if *I* would wipe down her groceries because her child puked all over them and then tried to get me to honor food stamps for her case of beer. She pitched a wizzy fit because I couldn't do that.

After that I got a job at the public library and loved it so much I worked there for almost three years. :-)

humblestumble
02-20-2007, 01:35 AM
Careful of the oil! I once knew a girl in one of my classes at highschool who didn't come to school for a week or so because she got splattered with the scalding stuff and got like 2nd degree burns. :ick: :shock: I don't mean to scare you, but, just be careful there and wear non slick shoes for sure! :D I've only worked at Subway before and in an office, so I can't really relate much. The only thing I can really say is this; although it's just a fastfood place, expect people to sometimes be VERY rude, sometimes even particularly at you, when you did nothing wrong. Some people just have cruddy moods, 'SPECIALLY if they eat greasy, fatty foods.

When it wasn't fun anymore, and a fellow coworker (always had a bad attitude and played nice with everyone, but talked behind everyone's back to everybody else) picked a fight with me over stupid stuff, I quit. The manager laughed at it, so I definitely left. Other than that, it was always fun. For 2 years or so, I worked with the best crew. We always had fun!

:hug: congrats on the job though, it is so rewarding to earn your own money steadily.

CarmenIbanez
02-20-2007, 01:37 AM
I worked at a cookie place and at a restaurant called Red Robin. I can't for the life of me remember which one came first. My husband's first job was McDonalds and he loved it!

SabrinaJL
02-20-2007, 01:54 AM
When I was 15 I had a summer job as a library assistant. One of my favorite jobs ever. I mostly dealt with the summer reading program stuff. Kids and books. Two of my favorite things. :)

Kaydee
02-20-2007, 12:18 PM
My first job (besides the standard babysitting) was a lifeguard the summer I turned 16. It was the best job ever, and I actually did it through college. I got to sit out in the sun all day and if there weren't a lot of people (and it usually didn't get crowded unless it was the weekend) I could swim or read.

I also worked catering the summer before I went to college which I hated. I had no serving experience but my parent's friends owned the place so they hired me. I had to work weddings until 12 or 1am then we had to let up for the next day...I wouldn't get out until 2:30, not fun. Once two of the wait staff got into a fight over whether to put out champagne glasses for a non-alcholic wedding (they were serving sparkling cider) and one threw a glass at the other's head. Thankfully that was my last night.

AnreeAce
02-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Congratulations on your first job, and for making it through your first shift.

My first "real" job was at Wendy's. Before too long they figured out that I was responsible (which means that I could make it to work even if I had a hangover) and had me doing morning prep before opening. I averaged half a crate of onions every morning, peeled, sliced and shaken out so they were easy to get onto the burgers. After I left I swear it was 2 weeks before I stopped smelling like onions! :rofl:

I still eat at Wendy's every now & then.

msoebel
02-20-2007, 12:49 PM
Well, the first "real" job I had (the ones where you are paid by check and not just handed cash) was working as an administrative assistant at a community college. I loved it. It involved a lot of time to study, and there were many hours a day when I had full responsibility over the building and office.

Before that, I did the typical babysitting, but I also worked one year taking care of an elderly woman who had been diagnosed with alzheimers and was just entering the dementia. She couldn't remember anymore who she was most of the time, and had a hard time communicating with me. But she was so sweet and I loved sitting with her during the day and just talking to her about her family and the view from the window.

Misty

orcoastknitter
02-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Good luck in your new job!

My first job was when I was 16 or 17, I can't remember. I worked for a small family owned electrical business. Where they sold lighting fixtures. I had assemble the fixtures and ceiling fans. Plus include the light bulbs. I remember her telling me if the glass in the fixture is clear it gets clear blubs, if it's frosted they get white. The fun part was trying to find boxes to put them in, that didn't have "Made in Taiwan" written on the side, so she didn't appear cheap. Of course, where I had to find the boxes was upstairs in the attic of the store that must have had 50 years of dust. I also had to wash coffee cups and flithy ashtrays. And have coffee always available. The best part was when the husband and wife would fight. It was never pretty.

PurpleMittens
02-21-2007, 11:30 AM
My first job was as a "kennel attendant" for the family vet. He was an old guy, had been in business for decades, and he was terrific. The best part was that he had been around long enough that he did not care so much about the "rules" so I got to do a number of things that should have been limited to the vet techs, like assisting in surgery. There was of course a lot of cleaning up after poop, heh. The best part was just being around Doc Odom all day. I never actually figured out how much I got paid an hour... he just gave me a check every two weeks, and I always assumed he would treat me right, so I never inquired. Working for someone like that is the best.

newamy
02-21-2007, 12:28 PM
McD's was one of my first jobs but I had done baby sitting and child care for migrant workers prior to that. The same summer I had the McD's job I got a job assisting a receptionist at a country radio station.

I hope you like McDonald's I did not like it at all. I didn't like the manager, the uniform, the shoes, the speed thing. Ick.

First jobs are always an adventure though.

hydeemarie
02-21-2007, 01:51 PM
so far I'm not really diggin' the job.... i'll have to wait and see what becomes of it!! :shrug:

jeanius80
02-21-2007, 02:34 PM
mcd's. for me too! almost 2 years when i was 16 but i temporarily quit b/c i am too easy going and later went back cause i realized i liked getting a paycheck. lol i didn't like being rushed to hurry up and hand out the food. the store i worked at kept the girls up front and the guys back cooking. i guess they figured people would rather buy food from women??? :??

this made me crack up!:knit-errant

said:
Dudes, it's a vagina; not a learning disability. :rofl: :roflhard:

Krystal
02-21-2007, 03:32 PM
mcd's. for me too! almost 2 years when i was 16 but i temporarily quit b/c i am too easy going and later went back cause i realized i liked getting a paycheck. lol i didn't like being rushed to hurry up and hand out the food. the store i worked at kept the girls up front and the guys back cooking. i guess they figured people would rather buy food from women??? :??

this made me crack up!:knit-errant

said:
Dudes, it's a vagina; not a learning disability. :rofl: :roflhard:

It's actually like that in most stores. I am not entirely sure why, but only the really attractive guys seem to get a chance at service.

At the store I am currently with there is like 10 girls for every 1 guy. So we have girls everywhere. Heck, on day shift alone we have 8 girls working and 2 guys, and depending on the manager working it could easily be 10 girls 2 guys. lol.