PDA

View Full Version : merry maiden dress yarn sub help

mjscott
02-19-2007, 09:53 PM
I would like to knit the Merry Maiden Dress from the new interweave knit magazine. It calls for JJ"s Specialty Yarns Kaleidoscope which is a 8 ply DK wool. I'm looking to sub it with yarn that's cheaper, I can't spend 75.00 on a 4 year old's dress! Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Maranda

niffer
02-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Have a look at Yarndex (http://www.yarndex.com), I believe you can compare and contrast yarns in there quite well.

Julie
02-20-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm going to use Henry's Attic Kona Superwash -- if I can get gauge with the heavier weight. Either that or KP Merino Style (bare -- in either case I'll dye it myself). I'd really rather use the superwash though! :D

Not sure about the mohair yet. I'll have to take DD to the yarn store and see if she thinks it's too itchy. ;)

mjscott
02-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestion I've never dyed anything before. I wonder if I could figure it out. What do you use? kool aid?

Julie
02-20-2007, 04:16 PM
I started out dyeing with kool-aid and Wilton's icing colors (better palette than kool-aid!) and then I finally got brave and started using acid dyes. Which aren't as scary as they seem. :D

feminine_earth
02-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Ooohhh...what a pretty little dress! I wish I had a daughter or niece to knit it for! :pout: