PDA

View Full Version : I just got a ball winder!!

IrishKnitter
02-20-2007, 10:07 PM
I ordered a ball winder this weekend from joann.com using a 50% off coupon...and it came tonight!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited! I don't have any new yarn, so I pulled out all the little leftover hand wound balls from previous projects and wound them.

:happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

This is so silly, but I feel like a "real" knitter now...I don't just have needles and yarn, I have TOOLS!!! :teehee:

Ingrid
02-20-2007, 10:26 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

madametj
02-20-2007, 10:29 PM
which one did u get? they have two and i was wondering which had better quality :thinking:

p.s. do u have the code? do u think it will still work? :teehee:

Cristy
02-20-2007, 10:32 PM
I remember when I got my ball winder--I felt the same way! Now I REALLY want a heavy duty wooden one like they have at the LYS....do I actually wind enough yarn to justify it--No, but I want it anyway...

madametj
02-20-2007, 10:33 PM
50% off code for today: FEBH750 :cheering:

IrishKnitter
02-20-2007, 10:34 PM
This is the one that I got:

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=24985&PRODID=80806&source=search

If you go to the main page, www.joann.com, at the top you'll see a link that says "Save 50% today." I just checked, and it's good until tonight.

Good luck!! :)

IrishKnitter
02-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Oops, I was posting at the same time that you both were! Sorry for the delayed reaction.

A wooden one would be nice!!! I wonder how much more expensive those are...

Is it bad that as I'm winding my first few balls of yarn, I'm thinking, "Now I just need a swift and my set will be complete." :teehee:

redwitch
02-20-2007, 10:46 PM
I've made my own because they are so expensive! It was lots of fun to make and now proudly use.

The ball-winding is heaps of fun hey!!!
I always wind multiple times even when they arrive in balls not hanks because:
-it's fun

-it gives me stackable balls

-winding more than once gives better tension so the wool doesn't get stretched (and then shrink back later when the item has already been knitted) - this may not hold for everyone though so don't freak out those of you who have always wound once!

Sarah

madametj
02-20-2007, 10:51 PM
just ordered one with the discount :happydance:

i just wish the shipping was a little cheaper :doh:

MrsDavis3
02-20-2007, 10:57 PM
For the past few days I have been looking at the Umbrella Swifts and Center-pull Ball Winder in the Oct '06 Schoolhouse Press catalog.

Umbrella swift of steel and nylon from Japan --- $37
Umbrella swift of unfinished wood from Sweden --- $60
Center pull ball winder --- $36.95

Are these prices way higher than the chain store online? I would rather buy from S.P.

IrishKnitter
02-20-2007, 11:01 PM
:cheering:

Yay! So far the quality is good! All 2 hours that I've had it for. :teehee:

Of course, I was so excited/distracted by my ball winder that I messed up my knitting. :pout:

I'm knitting in the round, and all of a sudden I realized that my stockinette "v's" are now on the inside of the hat, instead of on the outside. :wall:

Last time this happened, I attempted to fix it myself, and ended up ruining it and having to frog the whole thing. This time, I've learned my lesson. I'll bring it into my LYS on Thursday night for help! I :heart: my LYS!

madametj
02-20-2007, 11:01 PM
how many days exactly did it take to ship?

I want it now!!! :pout: :teehee:

IrishKnitter
02-20-2007, 11:02 PM
I was really surprised at how fast it came. I ordered it Saturday or Sunday (I can't remember). I didn't even think it would ship until today b/c of the weekend and the holiday. I just used standard shipping.

It was a nice treat to see it waiting on my front porch!!

IrishKnitter
02-20-2007, 11:06 PM
For the past few days I have been looking at the Umbrella Swifts and Center-pull Ball Winder in the Oct '06 Schoolhouse Press catalog.

Umbrella swift of steel and nylon from Japan --- $37
Umbrella swift of unfinished wood from Sweden --- $60
Center pull ball winder --- $36.95

Are these prices way higher than the chain store online? I would rather buy from S.P.

The ball winder actually looks like the same one I just bought. At Joann's, it was $50 originally, but I had a 50% off coupon. With shipping and tax, it was about $36 total.

kblue
02-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Isn't it GREAT :woot: :woot: :woot:

I love having one and i'm sure you will too. They're so fun....its makes me want to go out and buy yarn not just to knit up but to wind it into a ball using the ball winder :rofl:

PCwombat
02-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Yay! I just ordered one! :cheering: :cheering: :happydance: :blooby:

Now, who can I rope (lol, no pun intended) into holding the yarn for me while I wind? :teehee:

MrsDavis3
02-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Buy a swift!

feminine_earth
02-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Redwitch, how did you make your own?? Please share! I'm a cheapo, and I like making things. I want to make my own ball winder, too! :)