PDA

View Full Version : What To Do With Left-Over Sock Yarn??

auburnchick
02-20-2007, 11:51 PM
I finished knitting up my 2nd pair of socks and still have at least half a skein left over. They were lettuce edge socks, which means I didn't have much "leg" to do, cutting down on the amount of yarn used.

However, I really don't want to make up another pair of socks with this.

What do you suggest?

Here's a picture of the socks I just finished knitting:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o76/forauburn/DSC01908.jpg

CateKnits
02-20-2007, 11:55 PM
You could make little wrist warmers. Or...hmmm...yeah, if you find a project for it, could you let me know, too? :teehee:

knittingdoula
02-21-2007, 02:40 AM
I say put it aside, then wait until you have other sock yarns and make a Log Cabin blanket a la Mason Dixon. Wendy Johnson is also doing one on her blog, albeit slowly.

Cute socks, btw. Nice work!

Annyka
02-21-2007, 07:02 AM
What was the pattern for the lettuce-edge socks? I'm looking for a "short sock" pattern (a little more than anklet socks, but not halfway up my calf socks either).

Old Knitter
02-21-2007, 08:33 AM
I save my extra sock yarns and use them for contrasting toes and heels on some socks. Sometimes I start the cuff in a diiferent colot for about an inch.

auburnchick
02-21-2007, 09:33 AM
I say put it aside, then wait until you have other sock yarns and make a Log Cabin blanket a la Mason Dixon. Wendy Johnson is also doing one on her blog, albeit slowly.

Cute socks, btw. Nice work!

Oh, that's a GREAT idea! Especially since I seem to be in "sock mode" right now. AND I have that book already! Thanks!

auburnchick
02-21-2007, 09:35 AM
What was the pattern for the lettuce-edge socks? I'm looking for a "short sock" pattern (a little more than anklet socks, but not halfway up my calf socks either).

The pattern is in the sock "pamphlet" titled "Knit Socks Whatever the Yarn!." I picked it up at Hobby Lobby. It's good because each pattern is written for three yarn weights: Fingering, Sport, and Worsted.

cinnybuns
02-21-2007, 10:25 AM
I use them as "Life Lines" since they are nice and thin for other projects, or you can savem to make baby booties =)

syndactylus
02-21-2007, 10:54 AM
I love your socks.

auburnchick
02-21-2007, 11:59 AM
I use them as "Life Lines" since they are nice and thin for other projects, or you can savem to make baby booties =)

Hmmm...since my children are teens, I'm thinking that it's going to be AWHILE until I can do this! All of my friends have older children as well.

BUT, it is a good idea!

PaperGirl
02-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Those are CUTE!

I cant wait to finish DHs scarf so I can start socks!

madametj
02-21-2007, 07:25 PM
tons of possobilities here: http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26177&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Renoah
02-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Christmas tree ornaments? Easter eggs? Flowers for embellishment on other projects? Finger puppets? Or you could take, say, gloves or Knucks and knit the fingers in different colors.

Miss Moosey
02-21-2007, 10:45 PM
I use all of my yarn scraps (and my friends' yarn scraps! Otherwise they just throw them out or keep them in a drawer for years) for making funky stocking caps.

A small amount of yarn is also good for making a small change purse

Or, if you're still on a sock kick, make a nice pair of socks for a dear stuffed animal. My stuffed moose have many knitted accessories made of scrap yarn.

-Rebeca

heykaren
02-22-2007, 03:24 PM
I was looking at the yarn on Knit picks the other day, and clicked on the small add ( bottom right ) that said "sock yarn". If Im not mistaken, there was a pattern there somewhere for a kids cardigan made up of various types of sock yarn. Sounded like a neat idea! Karen

auburnchick
02-22-2007, 03:58 PM
I was looking at the yarn on Knit picks the other day, and clicked on the small add ( bottom right ) that said "sock yarn". If Im not mistaken, there was a pattern there somewhere for a kids cardigan made up of various types of sock yarn. Sounded like a neat idea! Karen

Hmmm...I'll have to check it out!

heykaren
02-22-2007, 06:34 PM
I just went to try to find the pattern and cant. But Ill try again tomorrow. I just googled "patterns using leftover sock yarn, and came up with quite a few entries. Yall might want to try it. Karen

heykaren
03-02-2007, 06:55 PM
here is a link for kids sweaters using sock yarn. I don`t think this was the site I had seen, but it might give someone an idea on what to use left-over sock yarn on.

Simply Sock Yarn Patterns (http://www.simplysockyarn.com/Categories.bok?category=PATTERNS%3ABees+Knees,+Kid s+Sweaters+Using+Sock+Yarn)

( BTW, I saw the "Devan" pattern online just today on the knitty ... )
Karen

auburnchick
03-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Cute sweaters!

Here's (http://pepperknit.com/blog/archives/244) a cute headband.

Here's (http://www.magknits.com/warm04/patterns/pomsquad.htm) a link for ankle socks with pompoms. It looks like it wouldn't require much yarn.

Mumsy doodles
03-05-2007, 02:37 AM
Or, if you're still on a sock kick, make a nice pair of socks for a dear stuffed animal. My stuffed moose have many knitted accessories made of scrap yarn.

Hey, I knitted socks and scarves for my wooden, jointed, Bali kitties. I put them on in the fall and take them off in the spring. They sit on a shelf. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I use leftover yarn for contrasting toes and heels and also for doll clothes for my daughters. Lots of ideas. :figureditout:

Emeraldcutie
03-05-2007, 09:58 AM
I use leftovers for doll clothes, and often make baby socks from left over merino sock yarn. The last skein of sock yarn I got had enough left over for a pair of baby socks and a little bonnet hat.

bip
03-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Ok, bear with me. This idea is a little involved.

First, you need to plan a romantic evening with your husband (in advance, you must stop using any b/c you may be on). If you aren't married, find someone on match.com. Yada, yada, yada, in about 9 months you will have a tiny pair of feet to knit for. Ta-da! No more left over sock yarn.

auburnchick
03-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Ok, bear with me. This idea is a little involved.

First, you need to plan a romantic evening with your husband (in advance, you must stop using any b/c you may be on). If you aren't married, find someone on match.com. Yada, yada, yada, in about 9 months you will have a tiny pair of feet to knit for. Ta-da! No more left over sock yarn.

Hmmm...I already have a 15yo and 12yo. No more children for me, unless they are grandchildren in about 15 years or so.

I should have plenty of sock scraps to make loads of stuff then!!

:roflhard:

bip
03-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Hmmm...I already have a 15yo and 12yo. No more children for me, unless they are grandchildren in about 15 years or so.

You don't sound very committed to getting rid of that sock yarn :)

Jan in CA
03-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Have you seen these books?

Not Just Socks (http://www.amazon.com/Not-Just-Socks-Sandi-Rosner/dp/1893063100/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3177256-7597741?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173118528&sr=1-1)

Not Just More Socks (http://www.amazon.com/Just-More-Socks-Sandi-Rosner/dp/1893063135/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-3177256-7597741?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173118528&sr=1-2)

They probably have them at your LYS so you can take a look at them.

auburnchick
03-05-2007, 02:40 PM

You don't sound very committed to getting rid of that sock yarn :)

Errr....Can you say "NO!!!"

I'd rather just hold onto the scraps!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

1knittychick
03-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Personally, I scared to death at the thought of knitting socks! It took me 6 months to knit a baby blanket. I feel sure you will find something wonderful to knit.
Auburnchick, by the name I assume you attend or favor AU. I'm from Alabama.

Emeraldcutie
03-06-2007, 12:42 AM
I posted this in Whatcha knitting, but thought I would put it here.
This is what I did with the left overs from my last pair of socks. It only used, maybe 30 grams at the most.

P.S Here's the links to the patterns.

http://www.helloyarn.com/topdownbonnet.htm
http://www.socknitters.com/PATTERNS/infant.htm

auburnchick
03-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Personally, I scared to death at the thought of knitting socks! It took me 6 months to knit a baby blanket. I feel sure you will find something wonderful to knit.
Auburnchick, by the name I assume you attend or favor AU. I'm from Alabama.

Don't be scared of the socks! They are FABULOUS to knit!!!! Magical!!!

WAR EAGLE (please don't tell me you're a Bama fan... :ick:

auburnchick
03-06-2007, 01:19 AM
I posted this in Whatcha knitting, but thought I would put it here.
This is what I did with the left overs from my last pair of socks.

So pretty!!!!

heykaren
03-06-2007, 09:36 AM
EmeraldCutie - those are SO cute!!!!!! THanks for the link! :happydance: Karen

Emeraldcutie
03-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the compliments, and your welcome for the links.

The hat and the booties are really quick, I did that set while watching 2 movies, so about 3 hours, and minimum finishing on them.

I am going to do more of the hats as they are so cute and I want to try them with knitted embellishments and such..