PDA

View Full Version : i cannot imagine ?

hellokitty165
02-21-2007, 09:58 AM
Hi

i went shopping for yarn and i saw this lady accompany her friend there looking for needles ... apparently she do not knit or do crafts at all ...she started commenting that the yarn and needles are ridiculously expensive and who would paid a skein of yarn for $15-$40 ??

next i almost fainted when i cannot believe what i saw... she went around and rub those (her so-called ridiculously fancy expensive) yarn on her face!!!!.. here is the interesting part ... she got alot of makeup on (her foundation is very thick !) i believed very much all those yarn are stained with foundation. :doh: .. now here i am wondering every yarn i made with my project ..should i wash it thoroughly before i gave away as gift ...can u imagine someone receive something from you and there is alot of crap on it ...like foundation or lipstick stain !!!! all i can do is SIGH for now... :verysad:

syndactylus
02-21-2007, 10:10 AM
I always rub the yarn on my face when no one's looking.
http://ephatch.com/forum/images/smilies/mangel.gif

mwedzi
02-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Somebody, where's that vomit smiley?

I sometimes rub it, too, but I don't wear makeup or perfume.

Snugglebugmom
02-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Ick! I always hand wash the finished product before I give it away. But rubbing the yarn against my face is something I don't do lol.

Emeraldcutie
02-21-2007, 10:24 AM
I don't rub the yarn on my face either.

Iam more of a squishy fondler...lol..I just like the feel of it squishing in my hands, and if Iam questioning softness I use the underside of my forearm as a guage as thats where my most sensitive skin is..

But the make up on yarn....ewww....Just like groceries, grab the skein at the back of the shelf..lol

Snugglebugmom
02-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Just like groceries, grab the skein at the back of the shelf..lol

:roflhard:
I always do that, both with groceries and with yarn!!

five_six
02-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Well, I sometimes rub yarn on my face too, to judge how it will feel... but I NEVER wear make-up or perfume, so I don't know if that's too bad :shrug:

HamaLee
02-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Oooh....I'm so guilty here. I love walking around my LYS and squeezing/fondling all the yarn as I walk through (My LYS owner encourages that bit! Lurve her...the first time I walked into the place she greeted me with "Welcome...touch everything" Hee! :happydance: ).

Before I buy something, I always smoosh it up against my cheek. I don't really wear makeup, but I guess that is still kinda gross. However, I tend not to do the face-smoosh until I'm 98% sure I'm going to buy it. It's like the last test of strength before I purchase a yarn :teehee: .

bip
02-21-2007, 12:47 PM
This post has me wondering whether or not I rub yarn on my face. I am really not sure. When I am in a good LYS, I go into a trance and I can't say for sure what happens or how I behave. I can tell from the reciepts that I am actually paying for the yarn, but how I select it I just can't say. I can only hope I'm not stuffing the yarn down my pants or rubbing it in my armpits to verify softness!

Quiltlady
02-21-2007, 12:50 PM
I have rubbed yarn on my neck a few times to see how soft it was before buying it to make a scarf. I do not wear makeup on my neck. :happydance:

HamaLee
02-21-2007, 12:51 PM
I can only hope I'm not stuffing the yarn down my pants or rubbing it in my armpits to verify softness!
:roflhard: :rofl:

kblue
02-21-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm just a beginner, but thats SOOOOO annoying when someone who's not into the craft , whether its knitting or not, makes comments like that :!!!: . It's like that comment...Why pay all the money to buy the supplies to make something when you could buy it for way less already made <--- i get that a lot... I love making things and knowing "I MADE THIS" with my own 2 hands :woot: . Anyone can "BUY" something already made but not everyone can "MAKE" it themselves.

If only you had say that they made her buy all those ruined skeins of yarn...OOooooOooOo that would have just made my day :twisted: It would have been like...thats what you get for insulting "THE YARN" she angered its awesomeness :teehee: Ok ok i'm a little mean but only when people make negative comments about something they know nothing about or have no appreciation for. :fingerwag:

I'll admit i rub the yarn on my face or neck to really feel its texture but if i had ruined it in anyway i would have bought it regardless if i liked it's feel or not. Even though i'm an adult i still get that feeling that i'm going to get in trouble...you know...you rub the yarn on your face, you accidentaly ruin it, then you look around to see if anyone saw what you did...Ok maybe it's just me...i know not only am i mean...i'm weird too :eyes:

DreamWeaver
02-21-2007, 01:53 PM
:oops: I feel bad now. I like to rub yarn on my neck to see how soft it would be as a scarf, per say. I don't wear make-up and I wash my face regularly so I never really thought much of it. I guess it's just a matter of opinion

XbelovedXoneX
02-21-2007, 02:09 PM
I always put skeins up to my neck. I'm sooo sensitive to anything possibly itchy, so I have to test it out somehow! :teehee:

Jan in CA
02-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Yep...I also rub it gently on my neck and cheek to determine softness. Hands just can't tell that well. However, I don't wear makeup or perfume either so no harm is done.

Shame on that stupid woman to do that with makeup on!

Liliyarn
02-21-2007, 02:53 PM
I don't get the yarn anywhere near my face until I am at the check out paying for it. Then I'd do it. I'm just anal and thought that would be polite. Silly me believing others would do me the same way in return.

I'm grabbing from the back of the shelf from now on....

ick....

humblestumble
02-21-2007, 03:50 PM
My boyfriend always rubs yarn on his face. I tell him not to, but he won't listen. Of course, he doesn't wear makeup unless I put it on him :teehee:

nadja la claire
02-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Just like groceries, grab the skein at the back of the shelf..lol

I always do that, both with groceries and with yarn!!

I do this too!

I do rub the yarn on my cheek but I don't wear makeup and I always wash my FOs.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

kellyh57
02-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Okay, now all of you that rub it on your face, what if you're not the 1st to do that to that yarn. How would you feel if you knew 10-20 others had face-snuggled that yarn? Isn't that a tad bit gross? What about sneezing on it? Or the people that don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. What if they fondled it? Then you stick it on your face?

I'm really cautious about anything touching my face and I wash my hands after shopping and touching other's germs.

Kelly

HamaLee
02-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Okay, now all of you that rub it on your face, what if you're not the 1st to do that to that yarn. How would you feel if you knew 10-20 others had face-snuggled that yarn? Isn't that a tad bit gross? What about sneezing on it? Or the people that don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. What if they fondled it? Then you stick it on your face?
Kelly

Eh, it's gross but...I work with behavioral autistic kids, I have germs, human waste (yup, that kind) and shmutz smeared on me every day. If my immune system can handle that I figure I"ll be ok (says the girl who's nasty sick right now! :teehee: ) But I'm obsessive with the hand sanitizer gel--I pretty much coat myself in them every few hours. So if I face snuggle my yarn and end up not buying--at least the next person isn't getting too many germs from me.

nadja la claire
02-21-2007, 05:24 PM

I'm really cautious about anything touching my face and I wash my hands after shopping and touching other's germs.

Kelly

GEEZE, I never thought of it like that :ick: :ick: :ick: :ick: Another experience ruined

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

stitchwitch
02-21-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm the odd one here I guess, I don't rub the yarn anywhere on my body. :teehee: I can tell if something is going to be soft/nice just by feeling it. Maybe I have more sensitive hands or something.

zazzu
02-21-2007, 10:12 PM
How would you feel if you knew 10-20 others had face-snuggled that yarn? Isn't that a tad bit gross?

Yes, it's gross. People are gross. I just use my hands to fondle the yarn. Sometimes I rub it on the inside of my wrist/arm. No, I don't wear fragrance there.

Another reason to order yarn online, I guess. I'd think the employees in shipping would get enough yarn-exposure and could resist rubbing their faces on it. :wink:

mwedzi
02-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Kelly

Funny, this doesn't gross me out that much. :shrug: Everyone talks about how much they love lanolin, isn't that just sheep skin oil? And now I know silk is boiled worms in cocoons. So something being on someone else's face, doesn't seem like a big deal. But for whatever reason, getting makeup on it just seems real dirty to me.

KnitClickChick
02-21-2007, 11:09 PM
If I am making something to sell or give to someone, I always try to keep it as clean as possible (washing my hands, not eating around the project, etc) I admit, I rub yarn on my face, but only after I have purchased it and am at home, and the item is for myself. I don't wear makeup, but I still wouldn't rub yarn on my face at the store. I usually grab from the back, and will have to make sure I continue to do so, because for some reason it never occured to me that someone would actually rub the yarn on their makeup caked face... kinda icky. Oh well, what can you do? :shrug:

Cristy
02-21-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm sure at some point I have rubbed yarn against my face but it's not what I typically do. I'm not really grossed out by the whole idea of so many people touching yarn, I mean, I touch door knobs and money--what could be grosser than that??

hellokitty165
02-22-2007, 12:04 AM
well...we all handle yarns ..thru our bare hands...so germs are flying around...she could get sick too...bringing those lovely yarn so close to her face ...germs might be transfering from one place to the other...can u imagine one yarn sample on the show case ...how many people touches them ...tens...hundreds....thousand ???????????? next time i want my yarn fresh from the bags !!!! maybe i should buy yarns by the dozen in an UNOPENED BAG ????????????????????? :??

syndactylus
02-22-2007, 01:56 AM
I was only kidding about rubbing it on my face, but as questionable as this may sound, I'll bet you some filthy yarn that my face is 99.99999% of the time cleaner than my hands.

and you can't just have a hands-off yarn store.

but I have made a new resolution this year to wash one ball of each yarn before I start using it anyway, in case it fades to hideous day-glo.
don't ask.

but if you really want to get icked out, think of all the dirty things that could have well gone on with returned yarn in the shameless privacy of someone's own home!

http://ephatch.com/forum/images/smilies/mmad.gif

stitchwitch
02-22-2007, 11:38 AM
but if you really want to get icked out, think of all the dirty things that could have well gone on with returned yarn in the shameless privacy of someone's own home!

http://ephatch.com/forum/images/smilies/mmad.gif

You know you've got me thinking. One time I picked up some yarn at JoAnn's and it smelled like cat pee!! I thought it was jus the yarn and promptly put it down, now I'm wondering.

KathyinCali
02-22-2007, 12:28 PM
This post has me wondering whether or not I rub yarn on my face. I am really not sure. When I am in a good LYS, I go into a trance and I can't say for sure what happens or how I behave. I can tell from the reciepts that I am actually paying for the yarn, but how I select it I just can't say. I can only hope I'm not stuffing the yarn down my pants or rubbing it in my armpits to verify softness!

You made my day :) :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Limey
02-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Hi Folks

I've been away for a couple of weeks, come back and what do I find?

the site is as funny and full of fruitloops as ever :eyes:

I hooted at the 'OMG have you thought of that?'

'Wow! - Grossed out!

Everybody freaking each other out with germs, yuch, horrors.

I can just imagine you all next time you go into a wool shop, wearing plastic gloves and a mask and carrying barge poles.

Don't worry, I'm sure none of you will end up with Beri-Beri, Denghi Fever or Black Death!

Thanks for the

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :sun: :sun:

Best Wishes
Limey

xxx - Hope she BOILED it first!

Silver
02-22-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't rub yarn on my face, I rub it on my neck, or the inside of my elbow which seems to be more sensitive to scratchy fibers than my face. I don't really care if you rub it on your face, so long as you don't smear makeup on it, or sneeze on it. I wash all hand knits when they're finished anyway.

Jennie8
02-22-2007, 06:45 PM
This is such a great read. I love to rub soft yarn all over my face, but this is when I've purchased it and I'm at home. I do love touching and squeezing the yarn while at the store and maybe sneak a few neck rubbings, but the all over the face softness is reserve for at home fondling. hehe