PDA

View Full Version : **UPDATE*** WOOT!!!! :) 5000 yards for *THIS?!*

boyforpele13
02-21-2007, 06:55 PM
When I order my Ultra Alpaca for the Kenobi Jacket, I will wind up with a few hanks extra since I am getting 2 bags, right, so thought I would make

http://www.berroco.com/images/263/263_dana_lg.jpg

right?

well, i look at the yarn requirements and it winds up being 22 hanks of the Ultra Ulpaca at 215 yards a hank for a total yardage requirement of 4730!!!!

:shock:

I know the fair isle will involve stranding, which might take up some more yarn, and by the looks of the bag, I'm sure the yarn is doubled, but can this really be right?!?! I've made felted projects with yarn doubled and it wasn't near that, bags, clogs, etc. I've wrote them to ask, but they usually take a while, wanted to get your opinions..... I almost wonder if the yarn requirements are based on 50-gm hanks instead of the 100 gm in the alpaca.... that i would agree with...

thanks!

Jan in CA
02-21-2007, 07:08 PM
:passedout:

newwooley
02-21-2007, 07:53 PM
Sean,

I don't know about the yarn requirements for bag, sorry, but I don't think I would personally do it if it does take that much. :passedout:

On a different note, have you checked out the video on the Philosophers website showing her method of Fair Isle knitting? If not, you should. I'm making a small bag now using it and it really goes quickly and prevents the long strands.

Helen

Loolee
02-22-2007, 05:52 PM
I'm a new knitter, so I can't answer your question, but that is one cute bag! where did you get the pattern?

krazy4kats
02-22-2007, 06:13 PM
I thought it was adorable, too, and did some digging. It's a purchased pattern from Berroco, called Dana Bag, in Booklet #263, $7.00. More info here (http://www.berroco.com/263/263_dana_pv.html).

Loolee
02-22-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks!

jmp3775
02-22-2007, 11:42 PM
That looks like a REALLY BIG BAG, so I dont think its all that unrreasonable. But I sure as heck would NOT be spending the dough on Ultra Alpaca for felting. Actually, Even WOTA would cost $90 to make that...

Cristy
02-22-2007, 11:45 PM
HOLY CARP!!! That's a lotta yarn!!!

nikkibeans
02-22-2007, 11:55 PM
looking at the link to the bag, there is also one for yarn amounts. It will take 19 hanks of yarn (100g.) :wall:

You can see for yourself here (http://www.berroco.com/263/263_yarn_amounts.html#dana)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-23-2007, 01:10 AM
OMG!!!!!! :shock: 5000 yards would make TWO sweaters for me, and I'm a very fluffy lady!!!!!

humblestumble
02-23-2007, 01:45 AM
Also looks like it's VERY densely felted.

Dangles
02-23-2007, 02:30 AM
I agree with ^^

KellyK
02-23-2007, 02:46 AM
You could make 2 huge afghans with that much yarn!!! :noway:

Lieke
02-23-2007, 08:57 AM
I think because of the fair isle, there will be a lot leftovers.

HamaLee
02-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm a very fluffy lady!!!!!

:rofl:
I'm so using that as a self-descriptor from now on, I love it! It sounds much more cheerful for me to say my clothes don't fit because I"m feeling fluffy :teehee: .

Also--yikes! That's a lot of expensive yarn to be felted. It always boggles my mind when felted patterns suggest expensive yarns. It seems like such a waste since felt pretty much looks and feels like felt regardless of how soft or scratchy the yarn was to begin with.

One of my LYSs has a section of wool that they put "Great for Felting!" signs on. And that's the section they keep the Malabrigo in! Sweet cat Batman, why would you felt Malabrigo and lose the wonderful butter softness????

Quiltlady
02-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Can someone give us a link to Philosopher's website? :shrug: I'd like to see her method of Fair Isle knitting too. Thanks so much!! :happydance:

newwooley
02-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Here you go! Enjoy

http://www.philosopherswool.com/Pages/Streamingvideo.htm

boyforpele13
03-05-2007, 08:28 PM
I was telling Aylaane the exciting resolution of this thread and she reminded me about my post, totally forgot! I still am in shock!

i had speculated to them the yarn was doubled throughout, which will take more, and i know it's stranded, which will take more, but asked if maybe they used 50-gm ball amounts instead of 100 blah blah, that it seemed crazy, yada yada. so i get a response that they're looking into it. i get an e-mail like 3 days later from the regular lady, apparently she was on vacation and she says to me, well, we really feel this pattern is correct, you are right about the stranding and doubling blah blah, and the thing weighed a ton before and after felting. while we feel it's correct, just in case, we're going to send you all the yarn so you can triple check for us and something extra for your trouble. what colors would you like?

:happydance: :yay: :woot: :shock: :inlove: :muah: :happydance: :yay: :woot: :shock: :inlove: :muah: : :happydance: :yay: :woot: :shock: :inlove: :muah:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can you freakin believe that?!?!?! i can see if i pointed out some huge error to them, but they're telling me it's right and they're mailing me 15 hanks of the alpaca, free patterns, color cards, blah blah, just because, went out thursday!!!!

:happydance: :yay: :woot: :shock: :inlove: :muah: :happydance: :yay: :woot: :shock: :inlove: :muah: : :happydance: :yay: :woot: :shock: :inlove: :muah:

ETA: Thanks for the Philosopher's link!!! Totally going to use it! and yeah, there was no way i would've actually bought the yarn! I will have 6 extra hanks from another project, figured I'd need a *little* more yarn to make it, but no way! Free, yeah, that will work. ;)

cathoo
03-05-2007, 08:37 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :woot: :woot: :woot: :balloons:

That's all I've got to say!
PS let us know how it works out! I want that bag!

Brrlracinbt
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
wow! That is incredible! Maybe I should find some problems with some other patterns..... :teehee:

Jan in CA
03-05-2007, 08:45 PM
:passedout: Holy crap! That's incredible!!!

kristinw
03-05-2007, 08:52 PM
:passedout: Wow!! That is unbelievable!!

HeatherFeather
03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
OH MY GOODNESSSSSSSSSSSS

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
going back to look at the company and put them in my favs for future reference!!!

i LOVE :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: awsome customer service.

syndactylus
03-05-2007, 09:20 PM
good lord.

trying to think of someone I can complain to...

feminine_earth
03-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Wow! That's incredible! :thud:

Tonid1980
03-06-2007, 09:44 AM
thats SWEEEEET

jmp3775
03-06-2007, 10:17 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

mwedzi
03-06-2007, 11:01 AM
while we feel it's correct, just in case, we're going to send you all the yarn so you can triple check for us and something extra for your trouble. what colors would you like?

:noway: :thud:

*on phone* Hello, is this Art Yarns? Yeah, I was wondering if that pattern for your beaded 100% hand-dye silk really had the correct amounts in it. Tell you what, you send me all the yarn and I'll double check it for you.

Think it'll work. For real, dude, that's awesome.

sara_jayne
03-06-2007, 11:24 AM
:passedout: AMAZING!!!

kemp
03-06-2007, 02:37 PM
I was telling Aylaane the exciting resolution of this thread and she reminded me about my post, totally forgot! I still am in shock!

i had speculated to them the yarn was doubled throughout, which will take more, and i know it's stranded, which will take more, but asked if maybe they used 50-gm ball amounts instead of 100 blah blah, that it seemed crazy, yada yada. so i get a response that they're looking into it. i get an e-mail like 3 days later from the regular lady, apparently she was on vacation and she says to me, well, we really feel this pattern is correct, you are right about the stranding and doubling blah blah, and the thing weighed a ton before and after felting. while we feel it's correct, just in case, we're going to send you all the yarn so you can triple check for us and something extra for your trouble. what colors would you like?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can you freakin believe that?!?!?! i can see if i pointed out some huge error to them, but they're telling me it's right and they're mailing me 15 hanks of the alpaca, free patterns, color cards, blah blah, just because, went out thursday!!!!

ETA: Thanks for the Philosopher's link!!! Totally going to use it! and yeah, there was no way i would've actually bought the yarn! I will have 6 extra hanks from another project, figured I'd need a *little* more yarn to make it, but no way! Free, yeah, that will work. ;)

AGH! That is sooooooooo cool. Can't wait to see the bag!

boyforpele13
03-06-2007, 07:21 PM
It's heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

I've totally wet myself, just FYI.

kristinw
03-06-2007, 08:33 PM
:passedout: :passedout: That is a beautiful sight!! hmm, now who can I call??? :teehee:

Silver
03-06-2007, 08:56 PM
OH. MY. GOD. I am soooo jealous, I'm going to go throw up now. Or skin a cat. Or something.

Ok, I'm just kidding, but holy crap that is amazing!!!!!

Are you dreaming? Am I? Where am I? I think I just hallucinated.

boyforpele13
03-06-2007, 10:26 PM
i know, can you just die? I was half not believing it until the yarn arrived today. The sad news is I have THREE projects I MUST finish before I can even start and I can't afford to pick up the rest of the pea soup yet!!! ACK! I shouldn't have told her I had the pea soup! ;)

Silver
03-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Awww... poor Sean has too much to knit.

Um, if you're trying to make me to feel sorry for you, you're not doing a very good job. ;)

newwooley
03-11-2007, 10:25 AM
:cheering: :happydance:
Way to go Sean! I was out of town and couldn't reply until today but that is a totally awesome find!! I'm also glad you watched the Philosophers video. Her technique makes colorwork so easy!

Helen

jodstr2
07-02-2007, 12:41 PM
:hug::cheering: that is so awesome!!! :cheering::hug:

bumping this thread, because I have fallen in love with the colorwork on this bag and want to make it in WOTA, so I did a search and this thread popped up. congrats on the windfall from Berroco!!! :woohoo:

ready2knit
07-02-2007, 02:35 PM
What GREAT customer service-very smart. They know you'll tell two friends and they'll tell two friends and so on and so on. I'll definetly work with them in the future.

ironmaiden
07-02-2007, 03:18 PM
OH. MY. GOD. I am soooo jealous, I'm going to go throw up now. Or skin a cat. Or something.

Took the words right out of my mouth lol.

jeanius80
07-02-2007, 03:42 PM
oh i remember this. and we are supposed to feel bad cause you can't get started right.this.minute.:tap:

:teehee:can't wait to see it when you are done. oh! and this striped socks you are working on... i have a similar sock i want to knit with two different colors of the artyarns supermerino (a chocolatey brown and pretty blues, fraternal twins socks:mrgreen: ) opposite toes/heels/cuffs ect.fun!

KnittingNat
07-02-2007, 04:51 PM
:passedout:, wait...yeah, i think i'll pass out again..:passedout::passedout:

KnittingNat
07-02-2007, 05:26 PM
I tried to watch the video from the link to the Philosopher's wool, but couldn't. Is it next to the text, because i had blank space there. i have quick time player and cable internet... I got really interested. Help...

boyforpele13
07-02-2007, 08:14 PM
i had the very same problem. :( i am thinking they have taken it away because I noticed more references on the site to buying the video. MEH!

mwedzi
07-02-2007, 08:59 PM

:roflhard:

Yeah, I'm not sure I've ever hated someone I knew so little about, but here it is. :shrug:

(j/k)

boyforpele13
07-02-2007, 09:03 PM
i didn't realize the thread had been bumped until just now, just saw the message about the philosopher's wool site.

i really am STILL feeling totally fortunate and blessed over this, it tickles me to death. and i really am glad it happened too because Berrocco is really coming out with some awesome classic yarns like this one. I never disliked Berroco, per se, but considered them more of a novelty company, but with yarns like the alpaca, Peruvia, Pure Merino, et al, they have totally caught my eye. PLUS Norah Gaughan is on staff and I LOVE HER. She is super duper nice too, I've contacted her through Berroco, as well. They have certainly earned their brownie points and then some in my book. ;)

jodstr2
07-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Sean, I'm anxious to see progress pics of your Dana when you get a chance :cool:. I :heart: that bag... and want to make one someday :drool:.

I don't have much experience with Berroco yarn. I've used Cotton Twist and Softwist, but that's about it. nice to see they are carrying more animal fibers that are feltable! :cheering:

Silver
07-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Well crap. I thought I was over it.
Nope. I'm still green with envy. Sean, you are a total brat.

Uh.. I mean that in the best possible way. :heart: