PDA

View Full Version : Cascade 220 vs Ultra Alpaca

Eloewien
02-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Ok- I'm thinking of making the Rogue sweater found here: http://www.girlfromauntie.com/patterns/shop/rogue/detail.php

I'm stuck on my yarn choice... I'm making another pattern in Berroco Ultra Alpaca and I absolutely love the feel of it. However, I'm thinking there just isn't a color I quite like, so I was thinking of going with cascade. I've used cascade for felting, but I'm not sure how it would feel for a pullover sweater. I would nearly always have at least a tshirt or somethin underneath, so I'm just wondering if it's relatively soft for a sweater? I have a few balls of it at home and it seems to feel fine. Just figured I would ask....

Also, if I go the cascade route, I can go buy it tomorrow cuz I have enough $$, if I go with alpaca I would have to wait another payday :)

Laura

DreamWeaver
02-21-2007, 09:17 PM
I :heart: cascade 220, so I say go with that. Course, I've never really tried ultra alpaca, so this may not be accurate opinion, but I still love 220 :muah:

ekgheiy
02-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Have you seen these threads? Thread 1 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=849&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rogue)
Thread 2 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=863&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=rogue+hoodie)
Enjoy...
;)

Eloewien
02-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the links :) I'm just wondering what people's experiences are with cascade for sweaters... I'm thinkin it's soft enough, but I've never made anything big with it.

Ingrid
02-21-2007, 11:38 PM
I made my clogs with Cascade, but I honestly don't think I'd make a sweater with it--especially if alpaca is my other option. :teehee: I don't think it would be awful, but there are softer yarns out there. Just my picky opinion.

ArtLady1981
02-21-2007, 11:45 PM
I knit a cardigan for DH using triple strand Cascade 220. It is not scratchy. It was a delight to work with. You won't regret it.

Additionally, I think Cascade 220 wool will show the cables better! Alpaca and alpaca blends could fuzzy-up or blur the definition of the cables.

Eloewien
02-22-2007, 01:37 PM
I know the alpaca is softer... I'm going in person to see if there is a color I like, but if not-- it's probably going to be cascade. I think I would rather have a little less soft in a color I'll actually wear. I'm thinking green would be gorgeous. I already have cascade around, so I did my gauge swatch...

The harder question-- I do technically have enough money right now to go buy the yarn, but I'm already working on another sweater. I really really wanna go to my LYS and buy the yarn... but I should be well behaved and wait till payday next friday. So... do I go buy it now or do I wait??? ARGH! such tough choices...

Jan in CA
02-22-2007, 01:42 PM
IMO Cascade 220 is too scratchy.

Eloewien
02-22-2007, 02:00 PM
I could just wander to my LYS with a budget and feel and fondle till I find something I like :)

Chrissie
02-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Cascade 220 is great....I have a sweater made out of it that I only wear a tank top under and it doesn't itch me at all. I think wool is a better choice than alpaca for Rogue....you want the cables to pop out and they might not with alpaca.