PDA

View Full Version : OT: Completed my quilt !!! ** Updated AGAIN :)

Tonid1980
02-21-2007, 11:14 PM
I am making my second quilt. My cousin is having a baby boy in a few months!... I bought the fabrics, and scanned them (yes I am this crazy), and organized them. Both are almost hte same except for one fabric... please help... I cant decide ...

number 1

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=398137151&size=m

number 2

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=398183365&size=m&context=photostream

Birdy
02-21-2007, 11:15 PM
I vote #2

Tonid1980
02-21-2007, 11:30 PM
I think im partial to number 2 myself...but my mom likes number 1... So far its 2-1 in favor of 2!

Cristy
02-21-2007, 11:49 PM
number 2 is my preference...

auburnchick
02-21-2007, 11:58 PM
I would say #2 as well. There's something about the dark blue squares that throws off the flow of the quilt. Unless you did a dark blue border to kind of tie them in.

Tonid1980
02-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Ahh...yes... I love the dark blue fabric...but it does stick out like a sore thumb!

Thanks for your opinions :) :heart:

auburnchick
02-22-2007, 12:10 AM
Good luck with whichever you choose to make. I'm sure your cousin will :heart: it.

My daughter STILL sleeps with the quilt her great grandmother made her. The poor quilt has been through 15 years of washings, sicknesses, and travels. It's falling apart. But she refuses to put it away for safekeeping.

I am totally amazed by those who can make such loved treasures! :heart:

:muah:

MiataMama
02-22-2007, 12:45 AM
I vote for #2. The dark blue just doesn't seem quite right in this design.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-22-2007, 01:09 AM
I also like #2, but I don't like the busy-ness of the border. I made a silimar quilt 2 years ago... it has a simple block border made with the same colors as in the quilt, and then I used a ruffle I bought at the sweing store.

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/46e85d13-9ed6-bbc4-a8563dcf1b67c7c4.jpg

Tonid1980
02-22-2007, 11:04 AM
I also like #2, but I don't like the busy-ness of the border. I made a silimar quilt 2 years ago... it has a simple block border made with the same colors as in the quilt, and then I used a ruffle I bought at the sweing store.

wow, cool... I am not as skilled in my quilting...no real blocks, just plain squares...

The border fabric is busy... I was going to use that as a backing fabric...but the fact that it was so busy made me pull away from that...do you think its too busy for a backing fabric? ...

Lisa Kay
02-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I like quilt #2 the best. :cheering:

but I don't like the busy-ness of the border.
You could add a solid color border on to the quilt top first as an inner border (maybe yellow, white, or light blue) and then put your current border around as the outside border.

I hope you'll post a picture when you've finished the quilt! I just got a sewing machine for Christmas and I want to start some similar projects. Somehow I need to find a balance between the knitting I want to do and the sewing I'd like to try (and the scrapbooking that's waiting for me to return...) :teehee:

Lisa Kay
02-22-2007, 11:10 AM
The border fabric is busy... I was going to use that as a backing fabric...but the fact that it was so busy made me pull away from that...do you think its too busy for a backing fabric? ...

I think that fabric would be cute on the back of the quilt, too. Especially since it's a baby quilt. That way both sides are interesting for the baby to look at.

Tonid1980
02-22-2007, 11:14 AM

You could add a solid color border on to the quilt top first as an inner border (maybe yellow, white, or light blue) and then put your current border around as the outside border.

I hope you'll post a picture when you've finished the quilt! I just got a sewing machine for Christmas and I want to start some similar projects. Somehow I need to find a balance between the knitting I want to do and the sewing I'd like to try (and the scrapbooking that's waiting for me to return...) :teehee:

Ill deffinitely post a picture when Im done. Im going to have to play around some more with my design, maybe get some more fabrics. I need to make the quilt by March 7th so I may have to just go for it at some point and not worry too much about it. I really love the fabric that is the border fabric... Its so bright and colorful...

I understand what you mean about finding a balance with the various crafts... I pretty much started my obsessions all at once (about 14 months ago).. quilting, cross stitch, knitting and photography... my obsessive compulsive nature lends to me focusing on one at a time for a few months, then switching. If I didnt have this baby shower to go to I probably wouldnt be quilting for a few more months :), this is my knitting time hehehe..

EDIT: Here it is reworked without the crazy boarder... it has the muted colors with the dark blue border. Id probably throw the pirate fabric (what I was going to originally user for the backing) in there instead of the muted blue, and use the colorfull border fabric for the backing... That is, if I can find more of that darkblue swirly fabric...

Lisa Kay
02-22-2007, 11:22 AM
I understand what you mean about finding a balance with the various crafts... my obsessive compulsive nature lends to me focusing on one at a time for a few months, then switching. If I didnt have this baby shower to go to I probably wouldnt be quilting for a few more months :), this is my knitting time hehehe..

:rofl: Oh, that sounds so familiar! I'm glad to know there are others like me. :teehee:

Tonid1980
02-22-2007, 11:26 AM
:rofl: Oh, that sounds so familiar! I'm glad to know there are others like me. :teehee:

hehe you are deffinitely not alone...

Stonington
02-22-2007, 11:33 AM

Ill deffinitely post a picture when Im done. Im going to have to play around some more with my design, maybe get some more fabrics. I need to make the quilt by March 7th so I may have to just go for it at some point and not worry too much about it. I really love the fabric that is the border fabric... Its so bright and colorful...

I understand what you mean about finding a balance with the various crafts... I pretty much started my obsessions all at once (about 14 months ago).. quilting, cross stitch, knitting and photography... my obsessive compulsive nature lends to me focusing on one at a time for a few months, then switching. If I didnt have this baby shower to go to I probably wouldnt be quilting for a few more months :), this is my knitting time hehehe..

EDIT: Here it is reworked without the crazy boarder... it has the muted colors with the dark blue border. Id probably throw the pirate fabric (what I was going to originally user for the backing) in there instead of the muted blue, and use the colorfull border fabric for the backing... That is, if I can find more of that darkblue swirly fabric...

I like the blue as a border! :cheering: I agree it is hard to do it all! But there are so many things to try. I have to have tunnel vision when I go to AC Moore lol.

anne

humblestumble
02-22-2007, 05:05 PM
I actually like the contrast of the first one. It really ties in the darker blue in the border gradient.

Tonid1980
03-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Hi again people... thanks for helping me design my quilt top.

I finished the quilt this weekend. I only uploaded pictures of the quilt top so far, but tonight or tomorrow will show the whole quilt, backing fabric and all. I think it turned out pretty nice (despite my unintentional pleating).... I have been knitting too, but all repeated stuff so no new pics (I have knitted about 6 jayne hats ...everyone in my darn family wants one now...)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/133/404611988_c7856374a9.jpg

I ended up using that darker blue fabric for the border, the bright colors for the backing, and a purchased plain lighter blue fabric to keep it a little less muted on the front...All of your input really helped..

if you want to see it bigger (to see the individual fabrics) you can click here http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=404611988&size=l

jeanius80
03-05-2007, 03:27 PM
thats beautiful :muah:
i like it and hope you post a pic of both sides when you are done

Tonid1980
03-05-2007, 03:43 PM
thats beautiful :muah:
i like it and hope you post a pic of both sides when you are done

Thank you! I will deffinitely post a pic of both sides... I feel the need to show why I loved the busy/colorful fabric so much, and only a picture of the back (not a swatch like I used to make the sample photos) will do the fabric justice...

BTW: .. I adore your profile picture...

Tonid1980
03-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Remembered to upload them last night... here are the finished pictures...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/412077422_4e5295a2d8.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/412077428_abebbf228f.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/171/412077437_579337f4e3.jpg

and for knitting here is my last hat:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/183/412078168_14bb971ec6_m.jpg

and of course, a gratuitous kitty pic:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/412078154_a9cb910aee.jpg

kemp
03-06-2007, 04:53 PM
LOoks fantastic!

Cute kitty pic. I have that same fountain except the ginormous size for dogs. All of the boys (2 cats and 2 dogs) are obsessed with it!

Stonington
03-06-2007, 05:08 PM
It looks great! :heart: love the blue border! and the fabric you chose to back it with.

anne

Jan in CA
03-06-2007, 05:12 PM
That's a great quilt!

Your cat looks like he's floating or something..my mind won't wrap around how he's actually standing.. :?? Oh and we had a fountain like that..my cat wouldn't drink out of it!! :wall:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-06-2007, 06:26 PM
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the backing is great; it's totally different, so you have like a reversible quilt!!!

Did you actually QUILT it? Or are you going to tie it? (or is it tied and I am blind :?? )

jeanius80
03-06-2007, 06:41 PM
i love the backing.. i definatly see why you bought it and wanted to use it! :cheering:
thats my dd in my profile pic she was having fun with my yarn :shifty:

Tonid1980
03-07-2007, 10:41 AM
LOoks fantastic!

Cute kitty pic. I have that same fountain except the ginormous size for dogs. All of the boys (2 cats and 2 dogs) are obsessed with it!

Thank you!... I cant believe how much the cats love that fountain...apparently its popular! ... the cat in the picture drinks more than I do in a day!... :)

Thank you anne... I love the backing fabric too... I just couldnt leave it out of the project...

That's a great quilt!

Your cat looks like he's floating or something..my mind won't wrap around how he's actually standing.. :?? Oh and we had a fountain like that..my cat wouldn't drink out of it!! :wall:

Thank you :)... The cat does look wierd there...that is why I had to snap a picture.. I got her right before she jumped off... she had one foot on the fountain and one on the electical outlet :shrug: ... Im surprised your cat wouldnt drink out of the fountain... ours now refuse to drink still water now (unless of course it is in a cup on my bedstand...then they will drink it and then throw it on the floor :doh: )

Tonid1980
03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the backing is great; it's totally different, so you have like a reversible quilt!!!

Did you actually QUILT it? Or are you going to tie it? (or is it tied and I am blind :?? )

WOHOO Im glad so many like the backing..makes me feel better about its crazyness...

I did end up tying it (with a special baby proof technique)... I would love to do machine quilting, but I havent purchased a walking foot for my sewing machine yet...and just didnt have time (or the patience) for hand quilting... and your not blind...its impossible to see the ties.. I have a tie on each square corner...

i love the backing.. i definatly see why you bought it and wanted to use it! :cheering:
thats my dd in my profile pic she was having fun with my yarn :shifty:

Your dd is so damn cute...that expression on her face is priceless... its the beginning of a yarn addiction...hehe

PS : sorry for the double post... I didnt realize there were more responses until after I posted the first one...

Abbily
03-07-2007, 02:29 PM
You did a fabulous job on that quilt! :) Beautiful!! I'm getting ready to start TWO baby quilts for my twin godchildren who will be arriving in July... I'm going to have various family members contribute to it, so it should be interesting.... Anyway, great job!!

Carey

Tonid1980
03-07-2007, 02:36 PM
You did a fabulous job on that quilt! :) Beautiful!! I'm getting ready to start TWO baby quilts for my twin godchildren who will be arriving in July... I'm going to have various family members contribute to it, so it should be interesting.... Anyway, great job!!

Carey

Thanks Carey!! I wish I had family members who did quilting...or knitting...or ANY crafts for that matter... Id love to see your quilts when youve made them:)

Abbily
03-07-2007, 02:52 PM
My grandma taught me how to knit when I was a kid... but as for quilting- my mom and I took a class together to learn how! I've taken a number of classes now, they're fun. I thought I had pics of a few of my quilts on my computer here at work, but apparently not... I'll try to remember to get some from home to post some day.

Carey

Abbily
03-09-2007, 11:35 AM
OK, since you asked... :) Here are pictures of a few of the quilts I've done.

This is my first one- it's a lap quilt, so not quite twin-sized, but close. This is, of course, only part of it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/Mar015.jpg

This one is my oldest daughter's baby quilt:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/Mar022.jpg

And my youngest daughter's baby quilt:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/Mar024.jpg

And this one is hanging above my fireplace, so it was a bit hard to get a good picture. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/Mar021.jpg

Tonid1980
03-09-2007, 12:32 PM
wow carey, you are a quilter with a capital Q... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

gorgeous... I think it will be a while before I try someting any more complicated than plain ol' squares...hehe.. some day :)

Abbily
03-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks! :) They're actually not nearly as hard as they look. They all break down to squares, rectangles or triangles. The hard one was the double wedding ring I did! I've only done the top though, haven't ever actually quilted it. I didn't get a picture of that one.