PDA

View Full Version : Check this out: FROM CAT TO MITTENS

illinoismom
02-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Is it just me or is this questionable stash building?':shrug:'

http://knittingincolor.blogspot.com/2003/01/from-cat-to-mittens-first-you-need.html

You gotta read it to believe it.

letah75
02-22-2007, 11:06 AM
:thud:

Kaydee
02-22-2007, 11:07 AM
I've seen other sites where people spin their cat or dog's hair. I dunno but it seems kinda gross to me....although I guess its not much different than using wool or angora but I just don't think I'd want to wear my cat.

illinoismom
02-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Hey, I spend lots of time and go through many little sticky rollers so that I DON"T wear my cat......

msoebel
02-22-2007, 11:11 AM
There was another thread on here not too long ago, and the general feeling on that thread was that it would be cool. I think the point was that we already get wool, silk, angora and merino from animals...it's not that much of a stretch to get it from our house pets.

I didn't really agree (wet dog or cat never really smells pretty, ya know?).

But as long as they aren't making me any of those items, whatever.

Misty

niffer
02-22-2007, 12:01 PM
That is the spitting image of one my cats!!!

I'd lose a finger if I went near him with a brush - and I'd have to pick out the 6 inch sticks and leaves and thorns from it before I could knit with it.

Plus - I live very close to a farm and my cats often come home stinking after an accident with sheep poop.

Love the idea - but I ain't doing it :roflhard:

KathyinCali
02-22-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm impressed with the process of gathering, spinning and making something of it. :) Way to go! :cheering:

Jan in CA
02-22-2007, 01:30 PM
Gross? Cat or dog fur is no different than any other fur and more likely it is cleaner. I wish I'd learned to knit 15 yrs ago when my cat was a kitten. She has the softest fur I've ever felt on a cat.
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/2670398-S.jpg

1to1
02-22-2007, 02:11 PM
I've seen these too with people spinning dog fur.

But if you got caught in the rain would you end up smelling like wet dog? :shrug: :??

Kaydee
02-22-2007, 02:28 PM
This topic got me thinking...this might be a strange question but could you spin human hair for yarn? I just started thinking about it and was curious.

Lighting57
02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
I couldn't get the link to load.

Jan, you have a BEAUTIFUL cat. Stroke and cuddle it for me please.

Jan in CA
02-22-2007, 02:40 PM
I couldn't get the link to load.

Jan, you have a BEAUTIFUL cat. Stroke and cuddle it for me please.

Okay! She is constantly getting pestered because she's so cute and soft. :teehee:

Lighting57
02-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Kaydee, is that your daughter in the small picture? She is so cute. I'd would love to gently pinch her cheeks. She looks like a cupee (spelling!) doll.

Kaydee
02-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Kaydee, is that your daughter in the small picture? She is so cute. I'd would love to gently pinch her cheeks. She looks like a cupee (spelling!) doll.

Thanks! She's my niece....she does have good pinching cheeks, we love to pinch them (not hard obviously) :teehee:

syndactylus
02-22-2007, 02:57 PM
my friend wanted to have his cats made into a blanket when they died -
as in skinned.
(there are people who will do that for you...)
* will not talk smack about dead kitties. *
glad I didn't know how to knit back then!

Liliyarn
02-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Cat/Dog fur is no different than hair from sheep/angora bunnies/or goats. If it is prepared well, then it doesn't stink any more than wet wool or angora. I spin my cat's fur. I made a coin purse from it. I'm about to spin Great Pyranese (sp?) with Llama for a friend.

There's possum yarn and to me that is pretty yucky...but I hear it is very soft.

If it is long enough, I'd spin it in a heart beat! Otherwise, I might miss out on some awesome fiber.

And yes, you can spin human hair. Although it isn't soft. We're low quality fiber animals :teehee:

syndactylus
02-22-2007, 03:04 PM
does the yarn shed as much as the animal?

Lucy78green
02-22-2007, 03:39 PM
I did a wee test swatch from my dog (RIP) years ago when I saw a programme on tv about making jumpers from dog hair. I just twisted it with my fingers (dandruff and all) it wasn't too appealing and a bit greasy...

carmabelle1191
02-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Hey, I spend lots of time and go through many little sticky rollers so that I DON"T wear my cat......
:roflhard: I have the same problem with two cats and a dog. And you're right, who would want to wear their cat? :shrug:

Yarnlady
02-22-2007, 04:59 PM
No, you can't spin human hair. It's hair, not fur/fluff. Clean wet dog yarn doesn't smell anymore than clean wet wool yarn....

humblestumble
02-22-2007, 05:19 PM
That would be amazing to knit my cats' fur. They are all sooo SOFT. I would definitely want to clean it first though. It's be gross with all the dander and stuff.

ekgheiy
02-22-2007, 08:00 PM
What an idea!! :thumbsup:

mwedzi
02-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Yesterday I was wearing some wool thing and sweat a little, and truly, I smelled like a wet sheep. I guess if you're willing to put up with that . . . . But yeah, wet wool *does* smell like a wet sheep, and I bet wet dog fur smells at least a little like wet dog, so the question is if you mind smelling a little like wet dog. I have to admit, I didn't enjoy my wet sheep smell.

I've actually been collecting my bunny fur for this. But since it's just one little bunny, I've been collecting for several months now and dont' think I have enough. I brush him, but somehow more of his hair gets, well, everywhere else than on the brush. :shrug: Bunny fur is very very soft. I think it can't be easy to spin, though, cuz it's really pretty straight.

DianaM
02-22-2007, 09:40 PM
I've seen what my cat likes to roll around in....so no cat yarn for me :teehee:

humblestumble
02-23-2007, 02:34 AM
Yesterday I was wearing some wool thing and sweat a little, and truly, I smelled like a wet sheep. I guess if you're willing to put up with that . . . . But yeah, wet wool *does* smell like a wet sheep, and I bet wet dog fur smells at least a little like wet dog, so the question is if you mind smelling a little like wet dog. I have to admit, I didn't enjoy my wet sheep smell.

I've actually been collecting my bunny fur for this. But since it's just one little bunny, I've been collecting for several months now and dont' think I have enough. I brush him, but somehow more of his hair gets, well, everywhere else than on the brush. :shrug: Bunny fur is very very soft. I think it can't be easy to spin, though, cuz it's really pretty straight.

I think most people use angora bunnies. They are VERY fluffy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angora_rabbit) :-o