PDA

View Full Version : Needle of Choice?

Dangles
02-22-2007, 02:14 PM
I picked up some bamboo 20" flex yesterday, 4mm (US 6). :)

Whaddya all prefer

mum2caden
02-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Circulars. I cannot knit with straights at all.

I love my knitpicks! :heart:

Dangles
02-22-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm wondering if the flex were a good choice.

SbutterAMfly
02-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Most of the time I prefer straights. I don't hold the needles with my left hand, so with straights I can stick the end into my belt to hold it for me while I knit. I've never tried flex…

brendajos
02-22-2007, 02:22 PM
well flex are basically a combo of circs and straights. they are circs with the cord snipped.

Flex needles are fine and if i was knitting flat, needed some needles, and the choice was between straights and flex i would get flex. Circs are the way to go for me though.... more versatile.

Dangles
02-22-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm a continental knitter. No help from a belt here.

HamaLee
02-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Circular for me baby! Knitting with straights is too awkard for me and wastes space. I love plopping all the stitches on a circ and being able to knit with my elbows relaxed. I LOOOVEE my Options, and I still use my Addis too here and there.

It's funny, when I first started I thought circs were awkward and avoided them. Eventually I changed my mind (Oh yeah--and bought some non crappy circs :teehee: That might have helped).

Silver
02-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Flex needles feel just like circulars, but you're restricted to only knitting flat. You can knit flat or in the round with circulars, and you don't have the cumbersome straights pointing out.

All you need is a complete set of circulars for ALL your knitting needs. Circulars can even replace double pointed needles if you master the magic loop method.

Jan in CA
02-22-2007, 02:26 PM
I use circs even for flat knitting.

Dangles
02-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Flex needles feel just like circulars, but you're restricted to only knitting flat. You can knit flat or in the round with circulars, and you don't have the cumbersome straights pointing out.

All you need is a complete set of circulars for ALL your knitting needs. Circulars can even replace double pointed needles if you master the magic loop method.

Really? Then maybe i should return them and get the circulars instead?? then why in dickens is it more $$

syndactylus
02-22-2007, 02:45 PM
mostly circulars, but I also love dpns.
or are those straights?
I want the short stubby ones, even though they will probably only make my hands feel even fatter than the little ones.

Jax3303
02-22-2007, 02:50 PM
I knit everything on Circulars. I gave away all my straights, and my dpn's are sitting in a cup collecting dust.

Dangles
02-22-2007, 02:54 PM
you mean you can knit socks with circulars??

HamaLee
02-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Yuppers.

You can use the "two circulars" method or "magic loop." And with both of these methods you can knit top-down or toe-up AND you can knit both socks at once. No SingleSockSyndrome! (And they match perfectly)

Jax3303
02-22-2007, 03:14 PM

Yep. you can do them any of the ways that HamaLee mentioned, or you can even do one sock at a time on a 12" circ.

Dangles
02-22-2007, 03:18 PM

Yep. you can do them any of the ways that HamaLee mentioned, or you can even do one sock at a time on a 12" circ.

cool.

hmm i guess i should get the shorter circulars in the smaller sizes :o

janelanespaintbrush
02-22-2007, 03:21 PM
I find that a good interchangeable set covers most needs.

brownishcoat
02-22-2007, 03:26 PM
I find that a good interchangeable set covers most needs.

Same here; I highly recommend the Knitpicks Options and Classic Circs (http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/) (haven't tried the DPNs). I've also discovered that a longer circ can be much more versatile than a shorter one, if you are willing to master the Magic Loop technique.

Also, you can order a couple of tip sets and a cable set to try them out before committing to the entire set.

Dangles
02-22-2007, 03:30 PM
metal type needles sound scary :shock:

janelanespaintbrush
02-22-2007, 03:34 PM
I highly recommend the Knitpicks Options and Classic Circs (http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/) (haven't tried the DPNs). I've also discovered that a longer circ can be much more versatile than a shorter one, if you are willing to master the Magic Loop technique.

Also, you can order a couple of tip sets and a cable set to try them out before committing to the entire set.

Could not agree more. In fact, you've covered everything I was too lazy to type earlier! ;)

itscryttle
02-22-2007, 03:47 PM
I love circs when I have a big project. My wrist starts to hurt as my work gets bigger.

stacyk9
02-22-2007, 03:47 PM
you can knit top-down or toe-up AND you can knit both socks at once. No SingleSockSyndrome! (And they match perfectly)

This is all too much for a beginner!!!!! :thud: :thud:

Dangles
02-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Yuppers.

You can use the "two circulars" method or "magic loop." And with both of these methods you can knit top-down or toe-up AND you can knit both socks at once. No SingleSockSyndrome! (And they match perfectly)

that's so neat... now to learn how to knit socks :? :shock: :help: bonus is two at once haha
but one for now will do

HamaLee
02-22-2007, 04:09 PM
you can knit top-down or toe-up AND you can knit both socks at once. No SingleSockSyndrome! (And they match perfectly)

This is all too much for a beginner!!!!! :thud: :thud:

Don't be scared, you can do it! The very first pair of socks I knit, when I considered myself pretty Newbie (to be honest, I still do) were using the two circs method. I learned it on this site from Amy's video and then followed Silver's sock tutorial. As long as you breathe you'll be ok! I did my first sock with two circs because I thought DPNs were just too crazy for a n00b like me--I kept poking my eyes out and had awful ladders :teehee:.

Dangles
02-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Don't be scared, you can do it! The very first pair of socks I knit, when I considered myself pretty Newbie (to be honest, I still do) were using the two circs method. I learned it on this site from Amy's video and then followed Silver's sock tutorial. As long as you breathe you'll be ok! I did my first sock with two circs because I thought DPNs were just too crazy for a n00b like me--I kept poking my eyes out and had awful ladders :teehee:.

ouch that must have hurt.

yah, I'm a little scared to knit socks too haha.

carmabelle1191
02-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Straights for me all the way. I always stick the end of my needle on my lap because I have a though time holding the left needle in my hand and knitting at the same time (I tihnk it's because I have small hands :shrug: ). But with circs, I can't do that! So it always feels like I'm doing more work for some reason.

aineepooh1
02-22-2007, 04:27 PM
YOU CAN KNIT ~ 2 ~ SOCKS AT ONCE WITH THE MAGIC LOOP?? :thud: :woot:

I had heard people talking about the magic loop method .. but~2~ socks at once~~ now that is sock efficiency~!!
May have to give socks another thought...?? :?? :eyebrow:

Stiney
02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Hmm. It's interesting to me that people let go of the left needle when they are knitting...I let go of the right needle with my right hand, and use my left hand to hold both while I wrap the yarn. (I knit English.)

feminine_earth
02-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Continental knitter here. *waves*

It really depends. If I'm knitting a big project in the round, I use circulars. If I'm knitting a small-diameter project in the round, I use dpn's.

If I'm knitting flat, I use straights. I cannot, for the life of me, enjoy knitting flat on circulars. I use my thigh to stand up my right needle and push the knitting down...and I can't do that on circulars because, well, because there is no end. :teehee:

Knitting flat on circulars, for me, is just very uncomfortable. So I have a full set of straight bamboo needles (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120070290970&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=002), a Denise interchangeable circular set (http://www.knitdenise.com), and working on getting a full set of bamboo dpn's. :)

humblestumble
02-22-2007, 05:43 PM
I usually use circs from my Boye set (if I am not mad at the screwing mechanism), or if I want to use wood or bamboo, I don't have any wooden or bamboo circs, I use my straights.

Circulars are pretty much the way to go for most people. They allow you to be more relaxed while knitting and like others said before, you can use them for multiple purposes. Flex needles are neat, but if you get an interchangeable set, you can make your needles from the set into flex needles, but even then it's easier to just screw in one cable to both needle tips.

Silver
02-22-2007, 05:46 PM

I had heard people talking about the magic loop method .. but~2~ socks at once~~ now that is sock efficiency~!!

*whispers* I'm doing a tutorial for 2 toe up socks on a magic loop reeeeally soon... http://img115.exs.cx/img115/9916/z4dwink.gif

DQ
02-22-2007, 05:52 PM

*whispers* I'm doing a tutorial for 2 toe up socks on a magic loop reeeeally soon... http://img115.exs.cx/img115/9916/z4dwink.gif

How soon? I've just learnt magic loop...

:shifty:

DQ
02-22-2007, 05:54 PM
I like circs and straights...I've no idea what flex are! :oops:

DianaM
02-22-2007, 05:57 PM
I have early stages of carpal tunnel and found that kniting with straights would leave me with numbing pain after just half an hour, so circulars are the way to go for me. They're much much comfortable.

imported_Knitty_Kat
02-22-2007, 06:19 PM
I use my Denise interchangeables for just about every project with the exception of small diameter knitting, at which point I whip out my trusted Susan Bates Silvalume DPNs.

nadja la claire
02-22-2007, 06:24 PM
I :heart: :heart: :heart: my Options interchangeables, I'll use my Boyes if my Options are occupied. I have 2 bamboo circs but I'll only use them if I have to (they are sooooooooooo slow compared to my Options). I haven't used my straight needles in about 6 months in fact I'm thinking of giving them to a friend who doesn't like circs. And BTW what the heck are or is flex.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

madametj
02-22-2007, 06:25 PM
i'm still not quite sure what a flex needle is. :?? pictures anyone?

brownishcoat
02-22-2007, 07:08 PM
https://www.shopatron.com/img/product_images/181/t80_CLV3017-03.jpeg

simplethings
02-22-2007, 07:21 PM
i prefer straights. but, only the shorter length straights. the really long ones are hard to maneuver.

i've been doing some knitting in the round and found that the circulars fit into my hands nicely and feel quite comfortable, but, they're not for me...
something about the magic of knitting disappears for me when two straight needles become connected and flexible--it becomes similar to the yarn i'm knitting with and then there isn't as much contrast between the two. :shrug:

madametj
02-22-2007, 08:07 PM
https://www.shopatron.com/img/product_images/181/t80_CLV3017-03.jpeg

oh, those. i've seen, 'em but never us them before. i can see how they would be easier to use that long straights.

Jan in CA
02-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Ohhh I have those flex needles...I hate them! :doh:

Cristy
02-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Circs are so versatile that I don't see why you'd buy anything else...

although I've gotta admit that they do have a lot of really cool straights out there...

aineepooh1
02-22-2007, 09:37 PM
SILVER~~
Noted~!! :happydance:

Dangles
02-23-2007, 12:21 AM
Silver, duly noted. thanks in advance :muah: :muah:

Rorshach
02-23-2007, 12:27 AM
I used to use straights, but ever since I got my KP Options, I'm would rather use a circular anytime.

Dangles
02-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Hmm, I may abandon my straights. I'm starting my third week of knitting. My SIL got me some 8's susan bates and i got a pr of clovers, 13" size 9 (what was i thinking :doh: ) What a pain to knit with. Sigh.

Just to decide if I should get interchangables. I'm kind of scared to use "metal" needles.

Silver
02-23-2007, 12:18 PM

Within a week or two!

I have to knit and photograph, then write, write, write, edit photos, and put it all online. Lotsa work to do. :ick:

losnana
02-23-2007, 12:34 PM
I use circs for everything. I've even given my daughter all my straights, except for a couple of pairs of really large ones, where I don't have circs in that size yet. If I ever make anything else on needles that size, I'll probably buy circs although I have the straights.

cheesiesmom
02-23-2007, 04:35 PM
I have trouble with regulation straights in my left hand. When I finish a row the left one always, always falls on the floor and generally rolls under my chair. I have a set of Denise interchangeables and use them for everything but socks.

I can still knit with sock dpns without the dropping problem. But when I get to the end of the dpn sometimes I get confused and pull the needle with the live stitches on it rather than the working one.

I've got 1/2 a second sock to finish, Silver, and skeins of sock yarn waiting for me to knit. I'm really excited about your new tutorial. Will you announce it here?? I hope, I hope, I hope!! :cheering: :happydance: :muah:

nadja la claire
02-23-2007, 04:40 PM
[quote="brownishcoat"][img]https://www.shopatron.com/img/product_images

You can do that with Options, but I haven't used them like that.

Nadja xxx

DQ
02-23-2007, 04:43 PM

Within a week or two!

I have to knit and photograph, then write, write, write, edit photos, and put it all online. Lotsa work to do. :ick:

Ooh fab!! :cheering: Don't work yourself too hard though :passedout:

nadja la claire
02-23-2007, 04:43 PM

Within a week or two!

Thank you Silver for taking on the task for us. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: We love you for it!!! :muah: :hug: :muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

EssenceRose
02-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Well... I prefer straights, but only because trying to get a GOOD pair of circulars here in NZ has proven (for me) to be a bit of a disaster. In the entire north island, I have yet to find a knitting store that stocks addis or options... I have a few pairs of circs, but they've been used maybe once. One of them is completely unopened as I find they are just poor quality.

If I could find a really good set of circulars, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Knitting_Guy
02-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Hmm, I may abandon my straights. I'm starting my third week of knitting. My SIL got me some 8's susan bates and i got a pr of clovers, 13" size 9 (what was i thinking :doh: ) What a pain to knit with. Sigh.

Just to decide if I should get interchangables. I'm kind of scared to use "metal" needles.

I'm a new knitter too. I just finished my second project, which was a pair of socks. You can do it.

As for metal needles, don't be afraid of them they're great. I just recently got my Options and love them. I'm going to be ordering some different sized points soon to add to the set as well as some longer cables. They really are worth the price IMHO.

As to the original question, since I got my KPOs I'm hooked on circulars. They're the only way to fly. :happydance:

losnana
02-23-2007, 11:10 PM
If you're considering interchangeable, I think Options are the way to go. They are fantabulous!!

Dangles
02-24-2007, 01:54 AM

I'm a new knitter too. I just finished my second project, which was a pair of socks. You can do it.

As for metal needles, don't be afraid of them they're great. I just recently got my Options and love them. I'm going to be ordering some different sized points soon to add to the set as well as some longer cables. They really are worth the price IMHO.

As to the original question, since I got my KPOs I'm hooked on circulars. They're the only way to fly. :happydance:

Wow, Mason, good for you! I'm still working on my daughter's scarf :oops: (it's been three weeks)

Dangles
02-24-2007, 01:57 AM
Hmm, now, I must crunch my numbers and see if I should have them sent up and get slapped customs fees etc or send them to the box in WA. :??

*must work up courage to use metal* or should I stick with my Clovers (I picked up 8/9/10's in the 29" on sale). Decisions, decisions.

Shannon4J
02-24-2007, 05:34 PM
I picked straights. Funny, I have mostly cables! LOL I do prefer my Susan Bates US8 straight needles most of all!!! I use them for almost all my projects! :D

Dangles
02-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Did you guys know Addi Turbo's come in Bamboo?!?

Dangles
02-24-2007, 09:26 PM
OOps they are Addi Natura .. same thing?

Mrs. Columbo
02-25-2007, 12:59 AM
I prefer to knit on circulars tho I do have some (unused) straights ... never tried flex .... I prefer Crystal Palace and Addis.

Toby

Braden
02-25-2007, 11:46 AM
I can't knit on ANYTHING but circulars, KnitPicks Options, and Addis Turbos.