PDA

View Full Version : OT: I've never been allergic to peanuts before!!!

stacyk9
02-23-2007, 02:19 PM
This morning I had a couple bites of a Baby Ruth candy bar and I immediately started breaking out in hives! I've never had a Baby Ruth before, but I've certainly had peanuts before. I eat peanut butter crackers every day! The doctor told me there's more than one type of peanut and maybe the one they use is just one I can't eat! I've got to tell you, it really scared me. I had a similar thing happen to me about three years back. One day I just became allergic to eyeliner! I hadn't changed my eyeliner, it was the same one I had always been using and just out of the blue my eyes would swell up like I had taken a good beating and didn't win! I wish my body would stop breaking down like this!!!

Stacy

cookworm
02-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your allergic reaction, Stacy! :hug:

I can't speak for the peanuts, but as far as cosmetics are concerned, I can say that companies change their formulations all the time. It's very possible that your eyeliner had its formulation changed--either in actual ingredients or maybe proportions--and it didn't indicate so on the packaging. I've had reactions with cosmetic products I've used for a long time too, even hair dye. It's very frustrating!!! :hair:

It's very odd that you normally eat peanut products on a pretty regular basis that you'd break out, though. I didn't even realize that there were certain types of peanuts out there. Is it possible that there's another ingredient that you are sensitive? :shrug:

brendajos
02-23-2007, 02:45 PM
yeah the different types of peanuts thing seems weird to me but who knows. It is definitely possible to become allergic to something you weren't before though.

I am wondering about whether or not there was some sort of bacteria in the eyeliner. Was it a new bottle or pencil?

stitchwitch
02-23-2007, 02:58 PM
I developed a shrimp allergy this year, 39 years of eating shrimp and now I'm allergic to them. Go figure. :shrug:

Kaydee
02-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Are you sure it was from the peanuts? Maybe something else in the candy made you have that reaction :shrug:

stacyk9
02-23-2007, 03:23 PM
There's no way to know for sure if it was the peanuts or not, but considering that is the most common allergy, it was the top suspect. I do know that I am very allergic to mold and I'm beginning to wonder if the candy bar had been housed in a moldy warehouse or area. I'm more inclined to think it was that instead of the actual peanuts.

Stacy

cheesiesmom
02-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Gotcha beat, Stitchwitch. Try 50 years of seafood and now I can't eat any of it--lobser, crab, salmon, canned tuna. I wouldn't call it an allergy per se, but a sensitivity. I don't break out, but get really, really, really sick to my stomach. The body must rid itself of the offending substance in any way as quickly as possible, if you get my drift.

And in the last couple of years, I found at least 4 other people this has happened to. Out of the clear, blue sky they suddenly can't eat a food they'd been eating all their lives. Go figure.

Stacy, hopefully you will find out what the offending ingredient is. Or, you might be able to find out if it's peanuts with an allergy test. If you check labels there are so many that have warnings stating that a food is processed on machinery that comes in contact with nuts. It's really scary. And if it is nuts you'll have to watch out for anything that may be cooked in peanut oil. A lot of times restaurants don't point that out.

I sometimes wonder if all these allergies/sensitivities/asthma problems are really mishandling of foods or environmental breakdowns.

:??

Mariblue
02-23-2007, 04:03 PM
There's no way to know for sure if it was the peanuts or not, but considering that is the most common allergy, it was the top suspect. I do know that I am very allergic to mold and I'm beginning to wonder if the candy bar had been housed in a moldy warehouse or area. I'm more inclined to think it was that instead of the actual peanuts.

Stacy
It could be the mold, like you said. My husband had allergy testing done and, among other things, he was allergic to mold that can form on beans and rice. Not allergic to the actual beans or rice - just the mold.
Maybe those peanuts were moldy. It can happen. Good luck with figuring it out, but be careful with self testing and peanuts. Sometimes reactions can get worse each time. I'd suggest with the peanuts, that you go in and get an allergy test done.

stacyk9
02-23-2007, 05:31 PM
I'd suggest with the peanuts, that you go in and get an allergy test done.

I think that's probably a good idea. I was tested a few years back, but it doesn't mean something hasn't changed. I think I will give my allergist a call right now!

Stacy

psammeadred
02-23-2007, 06:53 PM
It is possible to develop allergies to things. <science geekage> Sometimes when you have small molecules (like food proteins) in your system, they'll bind to other proteins, like bacterial proteins. If your immune cell recognizes a bacterial protein, it starts making antibodies to that protein. If the small molecule (called a hapten) is bound to the carrier bacterial protein, you can wind up with antibodies to that molecule as well. That's how people become allergic to penicillin. Penicillin itself won't make you sick, but it can bind to "bad" (bacterial) proteins and inadvertently cause an immune response. </science geekage> (Sorry, can you tell that I'm taking grad Immunology this spring?)

knit-errant
02-23-2007, 07:24 PM
I developed the dumbest allergy ever over the summer. I had a mysterious welt show up just beneath my belly button. Bright red, itchy, had little water blister things that would weep.

Turns out it was a base metal allergy -- the backside of the button on my jeans was the culprit. :shrug: I had to go through all my pants and skirts and put iron on patches over the all the button backs.

Hopefully an allergy screen will help... sure sucks to suddenly become allergic to stuff you like.

MoniDew
02-23-2007, 11:35 PM

Stacy
It could be the mold, like you said. My husband had allergy testing done and, among other things, he was allergic to mold that can form on beans and rice. Not allergic to the actual beans or rice - just the mold.
Maybe those peanuts were moldy. It can happen. Good luck with figuring it out, but be careful with self testing and peanuts. Sometimes reactions can get worse each time. I'd suggest with the peanuts, that you go in and get an allergy test done.

I've run accross the situation described in the quotes above ALL THE TIME in my line of work (nutritionist/naturopath) Anything that has been stored for a while (beans, grains, nuts, etc.) will grow mold. The mold releases toxins - mycotoxins - which causes symptoms. VERY COMMON!

We are very fungated/yeasty/moldy creatures, us humans. Dealing with our internal fungation takes a very careful eating plan. Try something like the following for the next few weeks:

1) avoid yeasty, moldy, fungusy foods like bread, wine, cheese, beer, mushrooms, beans, grains, peanuts, pistachios, etc. Stick with green leafy veggies (preferably raw,) small amounts of lean proteins (fish, chicken, plain yogurt, etc.) and NON-sweet fruits, like lemons, limes, grapefruits, berries, tart apples. These are safe for you to eat, any time.

2) avoid anything that feeds the moldy/yeasties - like sweets and sugars, fruit juices, foods that convert to sugars easily - bread, potatoes, and sweet fruits like bananas, melons, and dried fruits.

3) certain herbs are anti-fungal. garlic, oil of oregano, olive leaf extract, grapefruit seed extract, tea tree oil, etc. Go after the yeastie beasties with these herbs.

3) improve your beneficial bacteria count - acidophilus - is a good place to start. GOOD bacteria competes for space and food with the yeastie beasties, gives 'em some competition, and that drives their numbers down.

4) Bonus points if you learn how to neutralize the acidity produced by the mycotoxins by eating an alkaline ash forming diet

Once you lighten the toxin load, you may be able to OCCASSIONALLY get away with eating some of these foods again. Other foods, we WANT you to be able to eat frequently, like FRUIT!! So it's a good idea to "clean house" with a program like this a couple times a year.

Just the view point of the nutritionist. I know that the "naturopathic" viewpoint is in the minority and I'm liable to get a lot of negativism for even offering my opinion in a public forum. But I also know from 24 years of practice that IT WORKS! So give it a try. (and please forgive me in advance, if I have offended anyone by offering my professional opinion.)
________
Toyota 7M-Ge History (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_7M-GE)

Dangles
02-24-2007, 01:47 AM
I've run accross the situation described in the quotes above ALL THE TIME in my line of work (nutritionist/naturopath) Anything that has been stored for a while (beans, grains, nuts, etc.) will grow mold. The mold releases toxins - mycotoxins - which causes symptoms. VERY COMMON!

We are very fungated/yeasty/moldy creatures, us humans. Dealing with our internal fungation takes a very careful eating plan. Try something like the following for the next few weeks:

Eww mold :(

Thanks for the info Monidew, it was educating.

Debbie
02-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Turns out it was a base metal allergy -- the backside of the button on my jeans was the culprit. :shrug: I had to go through all my pants and skirts and put iron on patches over the all the button backs.

Back in the "old days" my son who is 24 was allergic to the metal snaps on his PJ's. I used clear nail polish on them.

knit-errant
02-24-2007, 09:26 AM

Back in the "old days" my son who is 24 was allergic to the metal snaps on his PJ's. I used clear nail polish on them.

That sounds like a good idea! I just bought some new jeans that I may do that with -- easier than messing with the iron! Heck, I may even use some colored polish so I can tell right when it starts to wear off. Thanks! :)

stacyk9
02-24-2007, 09:30 AM

Thank you so much for all the great information! I have made an appointment with my allergiest, just to be on the safe side, but I really am leaning towards the thought that the peanuts were moldy. I did a test run last night with the usual peanut butter crackers that I eat and nothing happened. I am still itching this morning, but that is to be expected. I will be staying away from any "moldy" culprits for a while and probably taking some Benadryl along the way since the mold count in our area is on the way up!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Stacy

Stiney
02-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I have a friend who at 29 or 30 developed an allergy to draft beer--his favorite. It's the worst thing that could have happened to him, and it was worst with his favorite, Guinness. He's allergic to the yeast that builds up in the taps--when we went to a new bar, he was able to drink the Guiness there for a couple of months, and then the allergic reaction started again.

The yeast that builds up in the taps is also why beer tastes slightly different at every bar.

Good luck, and I hope you don't have an allergy to something that you like/something that would cause you lots of grief.

Mariblue
02-24-2007, 12:49 PM
[quote="MoniDew
I've run accross the situation described in the quotes above ALL THE TIME in my line of work (nutritionist/naturopath) Anything that has been stored for a while (beans, grains, nuts, etc.) will grow mold. The mold releases toxins - mycotoxins - which causes symptoms. VERY COMMON! ...

...Just the view point of the nutritionist. I know that the "naturopathic" viewpoint is in the minority and I'm liable to get a lot of negativism for even offering my opinion in a public forum. But I also know from 24 years of practice that IT WORKS! So give it a try. (and please forgive me in advance, if I have offended anyone by offering my professional opinion.)[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to write all that out, Monidew, it is really great info and great advice for everybody.

redwitch
02-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Since we're telling stories... my mum told me that when my dad was, um, maybe twenties? he ate WAY WAY too may strawberries, after eating them normally all his life with no problems. He burst out in hives and I think he had to go to the hospital, he had a huge allergic reaction, and he was never able to eat them again - the new allergy was permanent.

Sarah

samm
02-25-2007, 08:56 PM
I became allegic to peanuts a few months ago. I have other food allergies but began having a throat tightening breathing thing happen, and it turned out to be a peanut allergy. And I LOVE :heart: peanut butter!!!! It is possible to become allergic to something suddenly. Not fun! :verysad: samm