PDA

View Full Version : Dye on KP Circs

losnana
02-23-2007, 06:31 PM
I just finished a pair of socks on my KP circulars, size 2 with sockotta yarn. I just noticed that either the dye rubbed off and has discolored the needles, or the yarn has rubbed the finish off. It is now a dull dark gray, rather than shiny silver. I don't really care about the change, so long as it isn't going to rub off on my next project. Has anyone else ever run into this?

Stiney
02-23-2007, 06:38 PM
I knit my swap socks on size four bamboo dpn's and they definitely look a little blue now. :shrug:

I haven't used my Options long enough to notice any dye-ing.

Jessica
02-23-2007, 08:51 PM
My KPO's do the same thing. I think we are just taking the shiney finish off the nickle. I have never had it come on on yarn though.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-23-2007, 09:03 PM
If the finish is coming off the needles, I, personally, would have KP replace them.

losnana
02-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Hildy, I take that to mean that you haven't had this problem with any KPs? If that is the case, then I will call them tomorrow.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Well, I haven't *used* them; I just think the finish shouldn't come off. :shrug:

Jess_knit
02-23-2007, 09:43 PM
That's happened to my needles too; the places where my fingers rest are no longer shiny silver, but a more tarnished gray. I assume that it's something to do with my skin, and as it doesn't really seem to affect anything, since my fingers are covering the spots anyway, I just leave it.

jmp3775
02-23-2007, 09:58 PM
I had it happen, but only to one size of needles. That made me think it was the yarn (SWS). I called them to see if there was a way to restore the finish- they had no clue what I was talking about, but they sent me a new pair of 10.5 tips anyway.

ebrperk
02-24-2007, 10:22 PM
I had the same thing happen to me. I was told that some people's skin causes the needles to appear tarnished. I called and they are replacing mine but they said it would probably happen again. I think I am just going to slowly get Addi's instead.

Jess_knit
02-24-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm betting Addis would do something similar, since they're nickle-plated brass as well. :shrug:

It doesn't seem to affect my knitting, so I'm sticking by my Options.

Friskums
02-24-2007, 11:56 PM
There was a thread related to this happening before.

I think it's just your skin reacting to the needles. I highly doubt its the tarnish or damaged needles.

As a test, I suggest getting some Brasso (it's really cheap at Walmart or Publix) and trying to rub the discoloration off/out. If that doesn't do it, then it might be something wrong with the needles. If it does help, it's a reaction.

I noticed that if I use my KP needles too soon after putting on lotion, it ends up discoloring them with a dull grey tarnished look. However, using the Brasso completely restored them and I haven't had a problem since I either don't use lotion when using them or wait until my hands have completely absorbed the lotion before using them.

Braden
02-25-2007, 12:29 AM
I've had my set for months now, and that hasn't happened to me, knock on wood.