PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Indy?

meearnol
02-24-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm in Indianapolis, and I would love to meet some knitters around here to hang out with from time to time. The only knitters I know are easily 40 years my senior (not that there's anything wrong with that). They don't frequent many coffee shops, so it's hard to get a group together for an occasional knit-in.

Anyone?

Vendie
02-27-2007, 11:38 AM
I may be moving back to Indy in a couple of months (I'm interviewing next week). Knitting in coffee shops sounds fun! What area of Indy are you in? If I do move back, I'm looking at the westside - Brownsburg, Zionsville, maybe Plainfield.

meearnol
02-27-2007, 06:32 PM
If you moved to those areas it would be very convenient for us to get together! I live on the west side of Indy by Eagle Creek. I grew up in Brownsburg.

Let me know how the interview goes! I'm itching to have a knitting friend close to home. :happydance:

jkeen
02-28-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm trying to get started with knitting. I live in Brownsburg and saw a yarn shop in Clermont that got me interested....

meearnol
02-28-2007, 05:44 PM
I've been to that little yarn shop in Clermont. They aren't open very late, so I usually go to Mass Ave. Knit Shop, which incidentally isn't on Mass Ave. It's on Virginia. I'd recommend checking it out. The owner is great!

Swedishgirl312
03-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Hi there! I also live in Brownsburg and am looking for new friends to knit with! I have lived in Indy for about a year and haven't found a group to knit with.

Right now I am in a knitting slump and could use some inspiration. I was knitting winter hats, but as the snow is melting I think I am done until the fall. I have been working on the baby bolero from One Skein, and am at the finishing stages but I don't like finishing. I need some help with my Kitchner stitch.... it is looking like poo.

meearnol
03-01-2007, 01:46 PM
I would LOVE to get a knitting group together! If anyone is interested, let me know, and we can work on something.

Swedishgirl312
03-01-2007, 03:42 PM
I am totally up for a knitting group. I am pretty flexible on weeknights as my husband is going for his MBA and needs his study time! Let me know what you are thinking...
Nicole

Vendie
03-03-2007, 10:56 AM
If I end up moving back, I'd be up for getting a group together. I'll keep you posted. Interview's on Monday! :help:

Swedishgirl312
03-06-2007, 10:49 PM
FYI... there is a knitting group that meets at the Bburg library every first wednesday of the month from 630 to 8. I have never been able to make it... something always seems to come up. I intend on going sometime soon.

Vendie... hope you had a good interview!

Vendie
03-08-2007, 09:37 PM
I think the interviews went well, just need to work on timing now. Nothing's set though, so I still don't know if I'll be moving back to Indy :help:

I DID make a quick trip to Mass Ave while I was there. Wow! They've been moving stuff around! I'm glad they moved the Malabrigo to a more visible location. And I'm even more glad that they've been expanding their selection of sock yarn. Very important factor in any decision to move back :teehee:

meearnol
03-09-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm glad the interviews went well, Vendie! Keep us posted. :cheering:

Swedishgirl312
03-14-2007, 10:44 AM
I am sending you happy thoughts about the interviews!

So, I am ready to start knitting... something anything. My dry spell is up and I am going to start on some washcloths. They are always a quick knit and always gets me ready for something bigger.

Although it is hard to knit when it is 80 and perfect out.

Does anyone want to plan a meeting/knit together?

meearnol
03-14-2007, 11:59 AM
I'd love to get something set up! If anyone else would like to be involved, please PM me with days that work for you, and I'll see if I can figure something out.

:happydance:

Just Nancy
03-16-2007, 11:25 AM
My brother lives in Carmel and we visit on occasion. When we do, I'll be glad to see the suggested yarn stores.

If anyone is up the interstate NW of Fort Wayne or SE of Elkhart/Goshen, give me a jingle.

Vendie
03-22-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm moving back to Indy :happydance:

Swedishgirl312
03-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Congrats on the new job! When is your ETA?

On a knitting note... I just finished a baby bolero from One skein. I did it with the Blue sky alpacas organic cotton and have decided I love BSA! :)

Vendie
03-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Sometime in May is what we're shooting for. It all, obviously, depends on how quickly we find a place to live :teehee:

Just Nancy
03-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Congrats on the job. Hope you find a place.

cougarchick
04-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Here is an event in Western Indiana that everyone might be interested in. It is a fiber fair at the Putnam County fairgrounds on Friday April 13th from 1-7 and Saturday April 14th from 9-5.

Here is the website if you want to know more. This will be my first time going and I even live in Putnam Co.

www.thefiberevent.com

Happy Knitting Every One!!!

Vendie
04-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Yes! This used to be the Fleece Fair, but is now the Fiber Event. I'm actually going to be apartment hunting in Indy this week and I'm hoping to meet up with my friend and go! Hope to see some of you there!

cougarchick
04-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Ok I am going Saturday I am very excited as I have never been. :cheering:

rach
04-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Hope you guys have fun. I was planning on going until the DSO wrecked my car. Be sure to share the fiber-y goodness with the rest of us!

Vendie
04-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Did you make it Heather? ugh, the weather was awful! But I walked away with a bunch of fibery goodness :happydance: I put pictures up on my blog (http://www.fridaknits.com).

Shakey2523
04-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Geeze - sure wish I had known about that fiber fair thing. Ya snooze, ya loose, I suppose. My name is Lucy and I'm here in Beech Grove.

cougarchick
04-17-2007, 09:58 PM
Yes I made it there, It was soooo fun I was so inspired that I bought a drop spindle and got some roving and I am having soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun spinning it. I love the yarn you got and the roving is really pretty, I got some of the alpaca roving it is soooooooo soft.

I would like to post pictures but I don't know how???? Does anyone know how to help with the picture dilema I do appreciate the help.

Vendie
04-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Hi Lucy in Beech Grove! They have this event every year around the same time (first or second weekend of April), so you can catch it next year.

I know the weather had a lot to do with it, but I was kind of disappointed by the turn out of vendors this year. I thought I saw Maple Creek Farms on the vendor list, but I couldn't find them there. I love their yarns. And last year The Fold from Illinois was there, and they're one of the few shops that sell Socks That Rock from Blue Moon Fiber Arts. But they weren't there this year either. :pout: But I still managed to find a bunch of stuff I just had to have :teehee:

...All you have to do to post pictures here is resize the picture using your photo editing software so that it's not larger than 500x500 pixels and save it somewhere on your computer. Then use the "Add an Attachment" feature when you "post a reply" to upload. Just browse to where your picture is saved, click on it, and then click "Open" and then "Add Attachment" and then "Submit" when you're all done. I think there's a limit of how many pictures you can put in one post - maybe 10?

Another option is to use a service like Flickr (www.flickr.com) (if you have a Yahoo! email account, you already have a Flickr account). You can upload your pictures into Flickr and then link to them here using the IMG tags.

Clear as mud?

mowens
05-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Hi,

I am very, very new to knitting and doing it on my own. I have only just started on what I would consider, the hard stuff now. Trying to only go by books and the internet in order to save some money, but I am running into some problems now that could probably be solved by hooking up with other experienced knitters and see how these stitches are done. Also looking for some conversation outside of the family.

Look forward to hearing from those in Indy.

Thanx,
Monica

Shakey2523
05-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Well Monica, you've come to the right place.

This is a great place to get your questions answered and the videos are a

huge help when learning a new technique. I've been knitting for awhile,

and I still haven't made the leap to really "hard stuff". Take your time,

and don't feel like any of your questions are too stupid.

Lucy in Beech Grove

Vendie
05-22-2007, 08:13 PM
I heard a rumour that Mass Ave is having a massive sale the first week of June....Must.resist.temptation.

meearnol
09-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Okay everybody, I can't believe it's been this long since I even looked at this thread, but I really do want to get together and meet some of you KHers. Here's what I propose: since I'm the one who wants to find some other people, I'll suggest a place to meet and I'll be there on a given date and time. It's a Tuesday now, and this weekend is goign to be my Heroes marathon. I'll plan on being at the Starbucks on Mass Ave (PM me for directions) on Sunday, September 30th at 2pm, and if you'd like to join me I'd love to meet you!

Sorry for dropping the ball on this one like that, guys! I hope some of you can make it!

meearnol
09-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Just a bump, and to remind anyone who may be reading this that I'll be at the Starbucks on Mass Ave. at 2pm tomorrow (Sunday the 30th). Hope to see some of you there!

SusanMarie1956
09-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi meearanol,

I hope people show up at Starbucks tromorrow. I live in Ohio. 21 miles west of Cincinnati.

Have Fun!!!

Just Nancy
10-02-2007, 09:11 AM
I hope you had a great time. I'm around 3 hours NE so I didn't try it. I aws thinking about going down today and wandering around yarn stores on the North side. (Didn't know where to go and my sister in law turns out to be out of town.) Instead I'm staying home and headed out to lunch with her husband who happens to be up this way.