PDA

View Full Version : young knitters!

hob
02-24-2007, 03:44 PM
i why is it that evry time i go to the local knitting shop there rude and unhelfull yet when my mother is at that very same knitting shop they couldnt be any nicer! im 21 by the way and my moms ... older. and im the one who can knit not my mom! i also wish thre were more patterns 4 younger knittiers there are a lot of us out there and there will be more!its not that i mind knitting baby clothes and scalfs ok i do mind knitting scalfs , oh must just say that pattern of jack that u can find a link to in the pattern forum, thats well good. im almost done mine. but after him then what?a doll ok fine but its a doll thats kinda not hip or cool, come on where are the emo doll patterns? or the spiderman gloves?(lame ) u know what i mean just something!... ok sorry im done ranting now i'll get back to my baby botties.

Stiney
02-24-2007, 03:46 PM
I'm 23, and I think there are lots of patterns for fun, cool things. Have you tried googling knitting patterns?

hob
02-24-2007, 03:53 PM
hi u, i have googled knitting patterns all i seem to get is jumpers or baby clothes what cool/fun things have u done like? and where are u looking that im missing?

Stiney
02-24-2007, 04:01 PM
And Spiderman gloves would be totally hot!

Spiderman socks (http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/a68spiderman.shtm)!

Stiney
02-24-2007, 04:05 PM
I made Jack Skellington (http://verasunshyne.blogspot.com/2006/07/i-knitted-jack-skellington.html) for my friend. He looooves Nightmare Before Christmas. Knitting Pattern Central (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com) has some really cute monsters and dolls that you can knit, too.

hob
02-24-2007, 04:23 PM
i did jack... well im all most finished like i said but where is sally? or the rest of the gang? i checked out ur monsters and there ok but a bit to childish. and them dolls all lokked a bit like something my nanna would of knitted(im gonna knit one or 2 dont give me wrong) i just want something more ikd rock and roll. maybe i have knitted one to many baby things.. spiderman gloves would be cool but in a lame uncool way. like harry potters scalf(i made that 4 my sisters kid whos ten not me honest)

Aquaria
02-24-2007, 05:38 PM
14 years old here...

Just a little suggestion...

Have you ever thought of making your own pattern? Instead of dying to find something that suits your interest why not try making something by yourself that you'll like for sure? :teehee: I've done that before and although I think I didn't do a good job but I liked it :)

tab
02-24-2007, 05:42 PM
This LJ community sounds like it might interest you: http://community.livejournal.com/punk_knitters/
Also, it isn't just knitting patterns but http://www.theanticraft.com/index.htm is a craft thing that's full of non-average stuff.

debb
02-24-2007, 05:46 PM
take a look at the knit.1 magazine

Brrlracinbt
02-24-2007, 05:52 PM
I am young as well, and I find plenty of things to knit!
Although I am currently enjoying the baby stuff since I will have one soon... there are also several books geared toward the younger knitters.

Miss Moosey
02-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Here is a website that my brother sent me; he wanted me to make him a stuffed penguin they had a pattern for because he's a software engineer who loves Linux. I was still at the stage then where I could make nothing but scarves, but I might have the skills to attempt the penguin in a year or two.

Sorry for the rambling; here's the site:

http://www.knitty.com

It is a knitting magazine which has a free pattern archive. All of the stuff there is pretty fun and funky.

Enjoy!
Rebecca

CateKnits
02-24-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm 20 and I've found a decent amount of stuff on knitty.com. It's not all good, but there's a lot there.

carmabelle1191
02-24-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm 13 and I find plenty of things to knit on the Internet, as well as in magazines and books. You could try Knitscene (mag), or Speed Knitting (book), or Knitty.com (Internet) to find lots of "cool" patterns. (Just a few examples).

Also, when I go into my LYS, they couldn't be any nicer to me. Recently, one lady there helped me with the heel of my sock, and they kept saying what a good job I did :hug: !. They love that I'm a young girl who knits, and they even said it would be fun to have me work there in three years ! (Not sure if they were joking or not though :aww: ). I think since knitting is "in style" now, there have been more and more patterns for teens, young adults, ect., than there ever were before. Just look, and you can find some really great patterns that you'll love!

queso2992
02-24-2007, 09:48 PM
I am 14 almost 15 and just started knitting. Right now I am just making a generic scarf with cool yarn. I would also like some good patterns for younger people.

hob
02-24-2007, 09:59 PM
oh hi all i think i should tell u lot im from a places called newcaslte (uk) and knitting is defentaly not cool hear , i was knitting in a rock pub and got told by qutie a few passers by that i was lame or words to taht affect. AQURIA knitting my owne pattern thats a good idear but im not that good. and tabs im not sure what that rock and roll(punk knitters sound well fun tho) website was could u explane? but anticraft looks well fun and knitty dose have a few things on it.even somw well cool looking clothes but what are you lot knitting? right now or the best thing u have knitted? congrats on the baby boy or girl do or should i say u knitting pink or blue? stick with yellow u can not go wrong. i would just like to say that the lady at me lod knitting shop before it closed down was very nice she used to make patterns up 4 ppl if u told her what u were looking 4 dose anyone know of any one who dose that? ... doubt it. nur nur nun nurrr nun shouldnt say that the shops closed so she dont any more.

psammeadred
02-24-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm 23, and I've found some cool stuff in really old knitting magazines. A lot of the vintage stuff is coming back in style.

You might also want to try modifying some existing patterns. It doesn't have to be a complete rewrite of the pattern - just shorten a sleeve, lengthen the body of a pullover, etc. I think Knitty has some good articles about modifying patterns to make them suit your taste.

Aquaria
02-25-2007, 01:21 AM
oh hi all i think i should tell u lot im from a places called newcaslte (uk) and knitting is defentaly not cool hear , i was knitting in a rock pub and got told by qutie a few passers by that i was lame or words to taht affect.

What!? What did these so- called cool people say about knitting? :grrr:
These people don't know the joy of knitting!! They said knitting is uncool just because they don't know how to do it and they're just jealous afterall! :!!!:

Knitting ROCKS! :happydance: :teehee:

aineepooh1
02-25-2007, 02:58 AM
Hob~ I am not ( that) young.. I am 34... but I have a few suggestions as well:
1) if you are tired of the rudeness by the staff by all means go to the online yarn sites.. many like Knitpicks, LittleKnits, DivaKnitting are all VERY friendly and communicate back to you by email.
2) I have notied that many magazines and knitting books are now geared towards younger knitters.. I have seen several patterns for Ipod Cozies, and cell phone cozies
3) If you feel the LYS are ignoring you and paying attention to your mom )mum as you guys says :eyebrow: ) Remember: they are thinking your mom has the money... BUT: THIS WILL NOT ALWAYS BE THE CASE AND VERY SOON YOU WILL BE A YOUNG ADULT WHO CAN DO AND SPEND AS YOU CHOOSE.. so don't get too discouraged by us (somewhat) cranky older folks :teehee:
4) If you have questions go to Amy videos you can download for free or you can buy her CD for about 20$ and Silver will be giving another sock tutorial very soon.. many people enjoy making their own socks.. which you could definitely design any way you want just by your choice of yarn
5) If other people don't like you knitting in public (KIP) you can either stop it or you can decide that you enjoy it more and that their opinion really doesn't matter. BTW many times when people nag me I have discovered they are either jealous they can't do it or that I didn't make something for them

~HANG IN THERE ~
:happydance: :cheering: Ainee

Lieke
02-25-2007, 04:48 AM
I'm 22 and I've been knitting for 3 years now. I've never experienced anything you mention. At the LYS, they are just nice people, and there's this french company (phildar) which has a magazine with patterns for the younger people. I'm not sure if they sell that in the UK, the do here in the Netherlands. I started knitting, because of my wool allergy, this is the only way to get fashionable sweaters without wool. About knitting in public, I've been unconfortable about that for a really long period. Only the last few months I've done a bit of KIPping, but I'm still a bit unconfortable. I only KIP in the train now.

hob
02-25-2007, 08:56 PM
ok thanks what is lys ppl keep saying? i dont have a ipod or a mobile phone so thats that out of the window, i dont mind what ppl say when im knitting in public its there problem not mine. scoks? i lose all mine but could be something to do when i run out of idears maybe i could knit them 3 times then id have a spear! im not sure about geting my wool(yarn)online... my mom only picking wool(yarn) for me!!! you lot are way freindly its nice. i think i'll just have to keep looking for the 'holy grail' i think im just picky.

Birdy
02-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Since we're all sharing ages :teehee: I'm 30.

The reason I got on this thread was just to say that in the past I have experienced people being rude towards me when I was more your age. Having kids and looking frantic has seemed to be the thing that made that attitude bit stop.

The one thing that I have observed is that so many "grown-ups" are genuinely afraid of teens. Depending on your looks, even to the extent of clutching their purse/wallet and sending up a prayer that you won't "do" something to them :doh: I worked in a Nursing Home, and even at 29 I often got asked when I would finish high-school... and did actually have a few of the lovely older ladies tell me that I didn't look as scary as some of those other teens. [working there when I had my 30th birthday really helped me not care a second about the "number."]

Anyhow, not saying that it is at all okay for you to be treated with disrespect. Truthfully, at the least those people should have the brains to realized that anyone is a potential customer and their bottom-line is sales.

But, once you can show them that you are serious and respectfully show them that you deserve respect too, their attitude should change.

If it doesn't, your money can buy what my money can buy and I would be taking your money some place else!

hob
02-25-2007, 10:31 PM
i would take my money eles where but the other shop closed down!! and it was a good freindly shop-rembers fondly- yes i know what ur saying about teens im afride of them so i expect other people to be.... its a good point. i take my disabled brother with me so its not like i can mug any one and run away, they just think im having a fad and there for will not be a long turm coustmer. to be fair it is a fad fora lot of ppl my age they get boried when they find out its harder to knit a jumper then a it is a scalf. maybe i should just get my yarn online but i like the looking and the having in my hands that scecond, most of my projects are found for the cool new yarn i have rather then oh id like to make that, now ill go get the yarn. there are still 100 patters for babys for everyone directied at a young person.

terujoan
02-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Well I'm 14 and the only LYS I've ever been to were very unfriendly to me but friendly to mum who doesn't even knit! :roflhard:
I don't really mind, I just buy all my stuff off the internet, their loss, as some people say! :teehee:

But, once you can show them that you are serious and respectfully show them that you deserve respect too, their attitude should change.

That's really true, because most adults are rude to teenagers (including me), I think it's just because teenagers (and kids) around here are really disrespectful and rude. For instance, in my library the teenagers just come in and make a big noise and mess about so the librarians were really rude to me even though I hadn't done anything wrong. But I showed them by being polite and respectful that I wasn't too bad! :rofl: Now they're not too bad except for a couple! :teehee: