PDA

View Full Version : Met A Trucker Who Crochets

Knitting_Guy
02-24-2007, 08:42 PM
I had an interesting conversation over dinner inside the truck stop here in Lake Station, IN. A driver seated a few seats down from me at the counter was busily working on something in a notebook. I had noticed it but as is usual for me I minded my own business. I did hear the waitress, excuse me...server, ask him what he was working on. He said that he was working out a crochet pattern for his next project. My ears perked up a bit at that.

I asked him what sort of crochet pattern he was working on and told him that I knit. The waitress, excuse me...server, gave us both an incredulous look and asked me if I was serious about the fact that I knit. I replied that I was indeed serious and that I found it quite relaxing. She has this sort of deer in the headlights look as she glanced back and forth between myself and the other driver as if she had just stepped into the Twilight Zone.

The other driver and I had a good conversation comparing and contrasting knitting vs crochet, different yarns, needles, and the like. He said that he had been doing crochet since he was about 8 years old and is now 50. I was impressed with his knowledge. He also said that he had always wanted to learn knitting, which I encouraged him to do. We agreed to carry our current projects in with us in the morning for coffee so we could see what the other was doing.

I was quite amused by the reaction of the waitress, excuse me...server. I don't think she quite knew what to think at that point to see these two bearded, rough looking truckers talking about knitting and crochet. It was quite amusing.

Stiney
02-24-2007, 08:46 PM
:teehee:

That sounds awesome.

meearnol
02-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Oh, to have been a fly on the wall...

Cristy
02-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Mason, you crack me up. I even read your posts aloud to my dh! I can only imagine what the waitress,...excuse me, server thought!!!

brendajos
02-24-2007, 08:56 PM
OOOH You and he can have a KIP (or CIP for him) tomorrow at coffee! That will really get them wondering. :hug:

mks22300
02-24-2007, 08:56 PM
:rofl: That's just awesome!

Jan in CA
02-24-2007, 09:00 PM
I can just picture that waitress, excuse me...server with that caught in the headlights look! :teehee: I think it's absolutely awesome that both you and the crocheting trucker feel good enough about yourselves to let it be known that you knit and crochet. I imagine in your profession that it's a pretty rare occurance though. I hope he learns to knit, too! :cheering:

Knitting_Guy
02-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks Cristy. A little amusement is a good thing.

The whole thing was pretty funny. There were other truckers sitting around the counter too and a couple of the younger ones looked at us kinda funny but kept their mouths shut as both of us are fairly large guys. I'm sure they thought we were a couple of gay guys or something (which I find even more incredibly funny). You have to understand that the trucking business is definitely not a gay friendly industry and many truckers are homophobic to the extreme. I'm straight but have more of a live and let live attitude about the whole thing. None of my business really.

The older, more experienced ones just took it all in without any surprise at all. Many of us have hobbies that we carry around with us.

carmabelle1191
02-24-2007, 09:05 PM
:rofl: I wish I was there!

Knitting_Guy
02-24-2007, 09:06 PM
I can just picture that waitress, excuse me...server with that caught in the headlights look! :teehee: I think it's absolutely awesome that both you and the crocheting trucker feel good enough about yourselves to let it be known that you knit and crochet. I imagine in your profession that it's a pretty rare occurance though. I hope he learns to knit, too! :cheering:

That's the thing I've never understood. Why hide who you are and the things you enjoy just because someone else may not understand? It's dumb in my opinion but I know not everyone is as self-confident as myself. (Or as some people have called it, arrogant). I simply don't care if someone likes it, doesn't like it, or completely flips out about it. Well, ok, the flipping out part could be amusing to watch.

carmabelle1191
02-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Well, ok, the flipping out part could be amusing to watch.
I agree! :roflhard:

mwedzi
02-24-2007, 09:16 PM
Now see, this is the world I like to envision. Knitting and crocheting truckers, in unity. It's beautiful *wipes tear from corner of eye, hands tissue to waitress, excuse me . . . server*

earthchick
02-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I love it.

I hope you write a post about how the waitress, excuse me... server reacts in the morning when you both bring your projects!

PinkRoses
02-24-2007, 09:24 PM
I knit and crochet so I would have loved to have heard your conversation.

I work with all guys and I always get good comments about the things I make. Seems like most men have always been in awe of how difficult some things look and I'm serious when I say that they really do have a good appreciation of this craft.

Well, that's been my experience. :thumbsup:

Emeraldcutie
02-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Pink Roses, I have to second that. When I knit at work, I often get male co-workers looking at it, even touching the project and asking questions about how to do it, I have had a few that wanted to try.

I often carry 2 projects, usually socks and something plain like a scarf, so I usually hand the person the scarf and offer assistance.
I like how the guys just get in there and try it. I have one guy who sits beside me who last week bought himself some needles and 2 balls of yarn and started knitting a scarf also. It was nice to see someone else who benefited from the relaxing quality of it. Unfortunately where I work, its very high stress all the time, so knitting tends to distract me from it.

snowbear
02-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Mason, you do realize the need to give him this website don't you? We could encourage him as he starts to learn.. heck... you might even start a knitting truckers s & b... right on !
I love it when the unusual happens and it isn't that unusaual at all!

:cheering: :roflhard:

BinkyKat
02-24-2007, 11:34 PM
That is totally cool!
I bring a small project with me whenever I can and one time when I got my oil changed I sat and knit. All the mechanics (men) came by in the course of their duties and they all asked "what'cha makin " etc... I find it quite nice when a fella notices what a girl is doing..
Funny, would a waiter, excuse me....server, notice or care if two women were discussing car parts?
The world needs more folk like you and this other fella Mason!
:cheering:

P.S. reminded me of a lovely fellow my dad had when he was in the hospital. he and his daughter were avid cross stitchers and the mrs. crocheted. he was working on a very complex project of a wolf's portrait in a wintery scene. He said he did that to keep his hands and mind limber and busy. he was only dad's roomie for a couple weeks but several months later after my dad passed on, this kind man came to his funeral and gave me a now cherished poem on a card that he got at a memorial for his wife (she passed away suddenly after he left the hospital). having a talent like crafting, art, what have you really makes for some fine folk! :heart:

Mrs. Columbo
02-24-2007, 11:35 PM
I can picture it Mason .... :teehee:

My girlfriend who is an OR nurse and a knitter for years told me recently that one of the surgeons she works with knits ... brings his bag to work and on lunch hour or if on call while waiting for cases, he brings out his projects .... knitting along with the other women in the OR ... and this is a BIG burly man too!

Toby

Lucy Fan
02-24-2007, 11:39 PM
Funny story about the waitress....um...server :teehee: ..knitting guy.

My attention perked actually when you said Lake Station, IN. I grew up in Portage, IN...which is right next to Lake Station. And I'm betting that I know exactly which truck stop you were in. My guess would be the Flying J truck stop off of I-94. I've been in there lots of times.

BinkyKat
02-24-2007, 11:43 PM

My attention perked actually when you said Lake Station, IN. I grew up in Portage, IN...which is right next to Lake Station. And I'm betting that I know exactly which truck stop you were in. My guess would be the Flying J truck stop off of I-94. I've been in there lots of times.

:teehee: We have a Flying J just off of I-94 too here in Fargo ND... small world!

itsjustmeghan
02-24-2007, 11:51 PM
i love it! i teach knitting at work on fridays and it's really fun to see how much more enthusiastic the guy knitters are. they are a lot more outgoing with trying new projects. i have one right now that started a new scarf and is working a cool geometric diamond pattern in there...just came up with it over the weekend. i wouldn't have ever thought to do that!

i'm curious to hear what project the crocheting trucker is working on. i love crocheting and need some new projects!

suzeeq
02-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Giggling We have a Flying J just off of I-94 too here in Fargo ND... small world!

Flying J is my favorite chain of truck stops!

sue

Braden
02-25-2007, 12:23 AM
That's really cool. I have never met another man that knits.

auburnchick
02-25-2007, 01:19 AM
She has this sort of deer in the headlights look as she glanced back and forth between myself and the other driver as if she had just stepped into the Twilight Zone.

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Some people just don't understand!

Aquaria
02-25-2007, 01:24 AM
Wow! What a discovery! :teehee:
Maybe you can introduce this forum to the trucker who crochets then? :rofl:
She has this sort of deer in the headlights look as she glanced back and forth between myself and the other driver as if she had just stepped into the Twilight Zone.

What does she mean guys can't knit or crochet? :roflhard: We've got many amazing guy knitters here in this forum! :teehee:

DianaM
02-25-2007, 01:33 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard:
Ooooo I would've loved to be a fly on that wall!!!!!

syndactylus
02-25-2007, 01:38 AM
you have the entire british naval tradition backing you up.
he has... his grandma? http://ephatch.com/forum/images/smilies/mconfused.gif

just kidding!

I'm really curious to find out what he's up to though!
& what are you doing?

aineepooh1
02-25-2007, 02:33 AM
Mason~ that is just too funny for words~ I bet she went home with that story to her significant other and had that same deer in the headlights look on her face then too~! :teehee:
BTW : I think it's awesome that you found a "fiber arts" buddy. Now you two can swap stitches and tips to each other. Now you can really raise some eybrows( not that you care~) at the truckstop.
I think it's sooooo cool that you big, burly guys can do that publicly.. and because of your size everyone thinks twice to say what they're thinking out loud~!! :teehee: :teehee:

POWER TO THE (KNITTING/CROCHET) TRUCKER MASSES~!!

Nikita-amimono
02-25-2007, 06:03 AM
Mason, what a great story !!

I'm anxious to hear about your morning meeting.

Niki

xxx

redwitch
02-25-2007, 06:24 AM
I'm female and I used to be a contractor/tradesman, was helping the boss on his house when he didn't have paid work to do, but often he did - we would take unassembled lockers on site, assemble them, rivet them together, and then attach them to the walls/floors. I really miss my toolbelt.
One night we were installing lockers at a Les mills gym in Wellington, other tradesmen from different areas were were working at the same time. I didn't pay much attention to the other workers, but I did remember that the tilers were foreigners and wearing turbans later, when Pete said 'Those tilers are Muslim or something, they've been giving you funny looks, I don't think they approve of a girl working.'

Long after I moved away, he told me that he'd run into a sparky or chippy he'd met before from time to time on another job, and sometimes one of them would ask 'What happened to that girl you were working with?'
He'd tell them 'My wife won't let me work with her any more.'

Sarah

Knitting_Guy
02-25-2007, 08:38 AM
That's pretty funny Sarah. Some people have some very narrow minds about the world. It's good to expand them a bit.

It looks like the crochet guy over slept this morning or had to leave early for some reason. Ah well, I'm sure I'll run into him again someplace.

It wouldn't have done any good to give him the addy for this site as he's a self-professed computer illiterate and doesn't own one. Hard to imagine in this day and age but there are still people like that out here.

Knitting_Guy
02-25-2007, 08:52 AM

You were close. I'm at the TA next door.

pattieroc
02-25-2007, 08:55 AM
hi, I think it is great that you knit, I have a brother in law who also knits, and I hate to admit it but, he knits a lot better than I do, and tends to tackle more complicated patterns as well, no fear, the only time he said he felt a little awkward about it was once on a plane..the stares, but he has knitted on and I am so glad he has, he has made me some wonderful things and he always picks the nicest wool...maybe you could start a knittinggroup for men only , call it knitting with balls , and carry on

dustinac
02-25-2007, 09:57 AM
aww sorry you two didn't get to meet this morning... maybe another time.. I think its wonderful that you two were able to share a conversation about it... :happydance:

hellokitty165
02-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Thanks Cristy. A little amusement is a good thing.

The whole thing was pretty funny. There were other truckers sitting around the counter too and a couple of the younger ones looked at us kinda funny but kept their mouths shut as both of us are fairly large guys. I'm sure they thought we were a couple of gay guys or something (which I find even more incredibly funny). You have to understand that the trucking business is definitely not a gay friendly industry and many truckers are homophobic to the extreme. I'm straight but have more of a live and let live attitude about the whole thing. None of my business really.

The older, more experienced ones just took it all in without any surprise at all. Many of us have hobbies that we carry around with us.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: ...that was so funny ...knitting is for everybody... there are some women who are plumbers and carpenter too u know !

SabrinaJL
02-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Yesterday I was working on the Corset-T for my daughter. She had some friends over for her birthday and one boy (12 years old) came up and said he was surprised that I knit (I get that a lot for some reason. Apparently I don't look like a knitter or something). He then told me that he crochets. His grandma taught him how. Every now and then he'd come over and touch my work. Maybe I should offer to teach him to knit. :teehee:

CountryCrafter
02-25-2007, 04:08 PM
I am married to a bearded guy who loves to sew. That always surprises people too!

Knitting_Guy
02-25-2007, 06:27 PM
I am married to a bearded guy who loves to sew. That always surprises people too!

We bearded blokes are full of surprises :rofl:

Birdy
02-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the laugh!

We all can be accused of having preconceptions though! I just hope that I have the grace to change my views!

Eloewien
02-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Mason- ever been by the Mack/Volvo plant on I-81 in Virginia?? If you're ever going to stop near there- let me know!! I live about five minutes from there :)

Braden
02-25-2007, 08:31 PM
That's the thing I've never understood. Why hide who you are and the things you enjoy just because someone else may not understand? It's dumb in my opinion but I know not everyone is as self-confident as myself. (Or as some people have called it, arrogant). I simply don't care if someone likes it, doesn't like it, or completely flips out about it. Well, ok, the flipping out part could be amusing to watch.

That's EXACTLY how I feel, too. :thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
02-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Mason- ever been by the Mack/Volvo plant on I-81 in Virginia?? If you're ever going to stop near there- let me know!! I live about five minutes from there :)

Back when I lived in Martinsville, VA I used to drive for that plant. I delivered the trucks from there to the dealerships (piggy backs). That was a few years ago.

MoniDew
02-26-2007, 12:39 AM
Great story, Mason. I read it aloud to my husband, too! *giggle* *snort*
________
Free Xxx Movies (http://www.****tube.com/)

msoebel
02-26-2007, 10:42 AM
You know what's funny? The misconceptions that people have about knitters. When I KIP, I get some funny looks. I think it's because I am a young woman, a slightly funky dresser (okay, I admit that I love thrift stores and vintage clothing...mixed with newer, edgier pieces).

But people always ask me why I am knitting, and then ask me if I really "like doing that". One young kid (he was about 15) had the nerve to tell me it looked BORING. Ha! Kid, I think your Halo Xbox game looks boring, but I would never tell you that (to your face).

Anyway...considering that knitting was once considered a "man's only" art, I think the blue haired ladies should be the ones getting the funny looks when they KIP.

Misty

ZELDAdog
02-26-2007, 11:42 AM
My dh said he used to help his g-ma quilt--she died before I met him, so I've never seen him in action.

I just hate male/female stereotypes! I was a jeweler for many years and I can't tell you how many times I'd have someone (usually and older gentleman) ask to see the jeweler and when I'd tell him I WAS the jeweler, oh the looks! My hands aren't black like this from standing around selling the stuff! LOL!

I love that you knit and are proud of it! Your posts always crack me up!

BinkyKat
02-26-2007, 08:43 PM

We bearded blokes are full of surprises :rofl:

As is my FIL...in fact, I've been meaning to mention...you could be a dead ringer for him in his youngman days. I have to dig out a pic...
And not to many fellas smoke a pipe these days. My dad used to and I miss the smell of his tobacco pouch... :teehee:

Nikki
02-27-2007, 05:06 PM
My dad used to and I miss the smell of his tobacco pouch... :teehee:

Me too BK, me too. Sometimes I would wake up for some reason and smell his pipe tobacco in my room. I was so sure all was right with the world then. He had been on his nightly rounds before turning in and if everything wasn't okay it wouldn't be dark and quiet.

Knitting_Guy
02-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Old saying...a cigarette is to be smoked, a cigar is to be enjoyed, and a pipe is to be savored.

Knitting is a manly art that is to be rejoiced.(new saying)

msoebel
02-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Knitting is a manly art that is to be rejoiced.(new saying)

By "new saying", you really mean that you made it up, right? :wink:

Misty

wandaweberg
02-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Knitting_Guy - what an absolutely delightful thread. Thoroughly enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing.

Knitting_Guy
02-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Knitting_Guy - what an absolutely delightful thread. Thoroughly enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for saying so.

imported_Knitty_Kat
02-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Wow, Mason! You're finding fellow yarn crafters left and right. Now if I could only get my darling husband to take up a hobby other than playing PS2 games with my younger brother for hours on end. I tried to teach him how to knit, but once he saw me working with DPNs he said he was much afraid LOL

ekgheiy
02-28-2007, 10:06 PM
...two bearded, rough looking truckers talking about knitting and crochet. I'll try to keep my comments PG-13, but .... :drool: :inlove: :eyebrow:

Now if only I can get the martial art guys that I train with to knit! *sigh* They just don't seem to realize how many branches on the hot tree they'd climb if they just K2, P2. :teehee: :rofl:

BinkyKat
02-28-2007, 10:15 PM
I've offered to teach my dh just but he says no. He is intrigued by my knitting and like him having a hobby, he thinks it's neat I have one. We also tease each other about who has the most "stuff" in relation to our hobby. He often tells me "what airplane kit do you want to build..." etc etc. and I tell him I'm content to sit under the canopy and watch him fly (r/c planes) and that if I do he has to learn to knit...the discussion usually trails off there. Not that he thinks it's not manly, I think that it would be something he's too clumsy for.
But, someday perhaps we'll comprimise :shrug: