PDA

View Full Version : What do you like to knit most?

Braden
02-25-2007, 12:33 AM
What are your favorite projects to knit? I really like intricate, complicated aran sweaters, they just seem fun to me...

madametj
02-25-2007, 12:35 AM
i like to knit things that have "one-hour" or "one skein" in the title.

that instant gratification thing gets me every time :teehee:

Braden
02-25-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm a teen knitter, too, so most people think it's weird when I knit on my intricate aran sweater in public , but I've been knitting for a long time.

auburnchick
02-25-2007, 01:13 AM
I've only been knitting since the summer, but so far, my favorite thing to knit is socks. It's so much fun to wear them after they are completed.

brendajos
02-25-2007, 01:31 AM
Hats... I knit more hats than i can ever use but they are a great no brain project for me and are great when i just need to find something to make. They almost all go to the homeless shelter when the weather starts getting cold.

syndactylus
02-25-2007, 01:35 AM
I like to knit things that don't give me sass.
and yarn that is very extremely soft.
I also like racing stripes and lace.

aylaanne
02-25-2007, 02:30 AM
I like to have a plain stockinette project, a lace project, a sock project, and something with cables on the needles at the same time. At the moment, I have a blanket, a sweater, a sock (with lace) and I'm going to start a shawl soon. Or maybe another pair of socks. I haven't decided yet.

Jan in CA
02-25-2007, 02:38 AM
Little sweaters and hats for charity!

aineepooh1
02-25-2007, 02:44 AM
~ HATS~~ Quick, easy and I can crank them out in a few days~! :happydance:

Lieke
02-25-2007, 04:49 AM
Socks and sweaters. I love the instant gratification from the socks, but I also love to see something big grow.

redwitch
02-25-2007, 06:37 AM
Accessories. Jumpers don't appeal to me because I have almost never seen a knitted jumper that I liked and would wear, and don't enjoy such long-term projects (except fot 2 or 3 that are cute and I will knit eventually, more for the product than the process).

I have a fetish for knitting lacy socks or lacy/patterned handwarmers/wristwarmers/mitts/ etc, in soft nice yarn. I have a lot of sock wool waiting for its moment.
I don't like even slightly scratchy stuff, so buy the good stuff. Now if I knit a jumper, I'd get the same amount of knitting time/entertainment PER BALL/dollar as with a pair of gloves, but the project itself would be too expensive for me to want to wear/make. So small things appeal.

Sarah

Yarnlady
02-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Socks right now. I'm on #9 for this month! Before socks, hats. I like big projects, but I have to have something small to work on to get my feeling of accomplishment. These are socks 7 & 8 :teehee:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SamplerLady/Two/th_fiberarts001_edited.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/SamplerLady/Two/fiberarts001_edited.jpg)

zkimom
02-25-2007, 09:10 AM
I like to have a few different things going at the same time like aylaanne. Right now I'm making my first pair of FT clogs, finishing off a felted bag, starting the sleeves for a sweater for my dd and working up a gauge swatch for a cabled sweater for myself.

Like madametj, I also love those instant gratification projects so I have to have at least one going on among the longer term projects like my sweaters.

I was talking to someone I know the other day who was appalled that I would have so much OTN at the same time -- but I just don't like working on the same thing all the time -- I always need that one mindless project that I can work on and chat at the same time as well as one that requires silence and a closed door to my room in order to get through a row.

I only make hats for other people (mostly babies) cause I hate the way I look in them and don't wear 'em.

Best,
Susan

Jax3303
02-25-2007, 09:41 AM
I love to knit entrelac/garterlac, Lace and socks.

janelanespaintbrush
02-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Right now, socks. Previously, hats. I too like immediate gratification.

Ingrid
02-25-2007, 09:46 AM
I like the variety that knitting offers. I couldn't pick one thing that's my favorite all the time, but there are things that are my favorite at the moment.

It's like craving a certain food. If you have it right away, for that moment it's your favorite.

carmabelle1191
02-25-2007, 09:47 AM
I just want to knit everything! :teehee: Since I'm a new knitter, there's a lot of projects that I haven't attempted yet. I do like small projects, though, and I think I'm soon going to be a sockaholic, but I'm am going to at least *try* to make a sweater for myself soon. And then I want to make more socks. :heart:

dustinac
02-25-2007, 09:52 AM
I change lol.. in the spring/summer I like to knit little tops and dresses for my little girl... I like to knit socks... I sometimes even enjoy just a simple dish rag cause its fast... I never enjoy afghans though even baby ones :rofl: ... I also tend to enjoy projects that I'm going to have to learn something new or gonna have me think :happydance:

Braden
02-25-2007, 11:48 AM
I like the variety that knitting offers. I couldn't pick one thing that's my favorite all the time, but there are things that are my favorite at the moment.

It's like craving a certain food. If you have it right away, for that moment it's your favorite.

Exactly. That's really how I feel. Sometimes, I want to knit arans, and sometimes, garter stitch scarves. It all depends.

It's nice to see what y'all like to knit. thanks!

Cristy
02-25-2007, 11:53 AM
I kind of agree w/ Ingrid too...sometimes I'm in the mood for baby items b/c it's quick and cute but other times I want to knit something like socks or scarves. I have my eye on a cabled sampler afghan but I've never managed to complete an afghan....I also am enamored w/ the cover sweater on the new IK...

brokenblossoms
02-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Tiny Blythe doll-sized sweaters and hats. Right now I'm working on an empire waist sweater/dress. The part underneath the bodice is a teeny lace pattern. :D

Lucy78green
02-25-2007, 04:19 PM
I've knit an Aran jumper last, I hate doing loads of stocking stitch as I get bored so something with lots of pattern changes holds my interest and I will actually finish it! I have done a lot of baby clothes recently as there seemed to be a lot of newborns recently - they're a good way to use up yarn, experiment with new techniques and try out new stitches and don't take long to do. When i was younger I made a lot of hats and mittens... Got some ebay wool that turned out to be boucle and it's impossible to see the stitches so fixing mistakes is a nightmare - doing a black cardigan out of it so it'll be fairly boring apart from mistake fixing...

humblestumble
02-25-2007, 06:06 PM
I like knitting socks and stuff with color.

Birdy
02-25-2007, 06:18 PM
What I look for in a project:

-something new, preferably technique wise
-yarn/wool with a catch factor ie. bright colour, neat texture, exhudes comfort

Other than that... I enjoy socks. But I go for the fun yarn with those, as opposed to hard pattern. Simply because socks are my waiting room knits.

Knitting_Guy
02-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Well, let's see. So far I've done a scarf which is still not quite finished, and socks. I like socks. I have started my second pair.

Braden
02-25-2007, 08:50 PM
What does your second pair look like?

Knitting_Guy
02-25-2007, 09:02 PM
What does your second pair look like?

Doesn't look like much yet, just a bit of ribbed tube. :rofl:

I'm doing it this time with a solid dark blue sport weight cotton yarn. They'll be just plain blue socks, nothing fancy or striped or anything. I'm trying to get used to working with smaller needles and finer yarn.

madametj
02-25-2007, 09:09 PM
i like to knit things that have "one-hour" or "one skein" in the title.

that instant gratification thing gets me every time :teehee:

well, to knid of expand on what i said before, right now i'm making lots and lots of headbands--partly because i haven't felt like doing my hair much lately, and i'm hoping that having a different headband each day will substitute, or give the illusion of a different hairstyle for each day.

hob
02-25-2007, 09:22 PM
right now , im doing lots of things ,attempting a doll but its not be a doll more like a big mess. i want a knitted freind. also im all ways doing blankets for shelter and leg warmers is what in knitting right now at the pc leg warmers are my fave thing today.

MoniDew
02-26-2007, 12:23 AM
I've been knitting for decades, since I was a young child, but never really got past knitting sweaters, baby things & blankets, until I found this board. Now I finally have the courage to try knitting lace, socks, and all those things I thought I never would have the talent to do.

You guys are my inspiration!
________
Strawberry cough pictures (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/deep-chunk-x-strawberry-cough/deep-chunk-x-strawberry-cough)

ArtLady1981
02-26-2007, 03:26 AM
Cardigans!

My favorite designer is Elsebeth Lavold, lives in Sweden...creator of a series of 11 publications. Her first book was Viking Knits.

Her designs range from very intricate cabling...to very simple designs.
No matter, I collect all her books!

http://www.ingenkonst.se/english.htm

She has signature yarns...very nice...ranging from spendy to moderate.

Silky Wool, Silky Tweed, Angora blends, Alpaca blends. Cashmere blends.,
fine Cottons...all are excellent.

Have not knit with her newest yarn, a cashmere blend. I can't even afford calculate the cost of a sweater using her signature cashmere blend. :pout:

Let me know if you want additional information about acquiring her yarns and books at reasonable prices. You can find out a lot by googling her name as well.

Shannon4J
02-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Washcloths!!! I can't have enough of them! LOL They knit up fast and I can try out new stitch patterns! Everyone loves my washcloths too!

Guin
02-26-2007, 09:54 AM
What Don't I like to knit is the real question :teehee:

I am a tri knitter , I will try knitting anything . :teehee:

msoebel
02-26-2007, 10:23 AM
I like to knit hats. They are fast, I experiment with different shapes, decreases, and stitches, and they make cute, fast gifts.

Misty

Doublereeder2
02-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Socks, socks and more socks. Oh, and did I mention socks? :happydance:

I also knit scarves, washcloths, hats, wrist warmers and am working on a cardigan.

But I love socks.

Vendie
02-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I have been bitten by the sock bug :zombie: Socks with lace, socks with cables, socks, socks, socks...

or probably more accurate, I'm a sock yarn collector with grande ideas :shifty:

SabrinaJL
02-26-2007, 11:42 AM
Honestly, I really don't know what I like to knit the most. I can tell you what I DON'T like to knit. Scarves. They seem to take forever.