PDA

View Full Version : Feeling bad about my knitting

bailsmom
02-25-2007, 05:54 PM
I started my first sweater a week or 2 ago and I finished up until the shaping of the armhole. Well, :pout: I didn't get very far and I just couldn't understand what the directions were telling me to do.

AND it's a beginner sweater so I thought it'd be an easy one to do. Boy was I wrong. I'm so dejected feeling it's not funny. (Could be the hormones too :waah: ) I just decided to put it far away, under the couch. As I read through it it seems simple yet complicated.

So then I thought I'd go through my other books and find something else and I found this cute sweater tank (I'm thinking no sleeves!!!) Well as I read through that one its just like the other one. Bind off here, decrease here then increase after the first stitch blah blah blah.

I realize this is more of a feeling sorry for myself, but I just want to be able to do a sweater, just not a complicated one. But a pretty one.......

Sigh, I'm going to find some chocolate. Yeah, it's that time of the month (sorry boys :teehee: )

If anyone has any advice for a not beginner anymore but not advanced either I'd really appreciate it. I know that I can ask any question I need, but typing a new question every time is annoying me and I'm sure those wonderful people helping me.

I'm off to the freezer for some ice cream......bye

Braden
02-25-2007, 05:57 PM
just take your time, and read over the instructions carefully, and I mark the pattern as I go. You should also look at a list of abbreations, and see what they mean. If you could post the section you were having trouble with, I could help you...

Krystal
02-25-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm sorry your first sweater didn't turn out as you hoped. Don't frog it yet tho. Save it after a few more projects and tackle it again.

I am still afraid of sweaters that require shaping, so I chose to do the Tubey (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTtubey.html) sweater. (If you want to try a no seaming no shaping easy as pie sweater, DO try the Tubey. It's a really attractive pattern just knit up in tubes. The link in my sig has the details from my adventures with it.)

Hang in there, maybe people on here can offer some tips to finishing up that challenge!!

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

knitqueen
02-25-2007, 06:09 PM
I was looking at your other post about the sweater pattern, and though it may be called a beginner pattern, it sounds like quite a complex stitch pattern. You might be best off to try a plain stockinette sweater first while you're getting used to the concepts of binding off and increasing/decreasing. It's a lot to keep track of if you have a complicated stitch pattern AND are trying to learn how to interpret knitting patterns.

:hug:

Braden
02-25-2007, 06:11 PM
I was looking at your other post about the sweater pattern, and though it may be called a beginner pattern, it sounds like a pretty complex stitch pattern. You might be best off to try a plain stockinette sweater first while you're getting used to the concepts of binding off and increasing/decreasing. It's a lot to keep track of if you have a complicated stitch pattern AND are trying to learn how to interpret knitting patterns.

Exactly. I just read through the pattern myself, and it is complicated for a beginner.

nadja la claire
02-25-2007, 06:11 PM
I know exactly how you feel. Everyone talks about how easy socks are and I was fine until I got to the heel. I tried and tried and tried :frog: :frog: :frog: but I just couldn't get it so I said fine I just won't have a heel on this pair. So I'm just going to make tube socks this time and wait for Silver's ML toe-ups tutorial. As far as sweaters go I'm still working on my 1st one and I haven't even gotten to the arm holes so I might be joining you at the ice cream and I've got GS cookies to go with it if I get REALLY desperate :teehee:

Don't despair!!! I'm sending you :hug: and happy xxx :X: vibes.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Braden
02-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Sigh, I'm going to find some chocolate. Yeah, it's that time of the month (sorry boys :teehee: )bye

***backs away slowly*** :rofl:

bailsmom
02-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Sigh, I'm going to find some chocolate. Yeah, it's that time of the month (sorry boys :teehee: )bye

***backs away slowly*** :rofl:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Thanks, I needed that. :teehee:

Braden
02-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Happy to be of service... :rofl: :rofl:

bailsmom
02-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks everyone. You sure know how to make a girl feel better. Well, the chocolate ice cream helped quite a bit too. :wink:

As far as the pattern goes, it went smoothly and then when I hit that one decrease row, yowser, that one threw me for a loop. What I mean is that I did the decrease fine, it was the 2nd row and the whole RS/WS nonsense, well I finally did it my way and it worked fine, but the fact that these 'authors' assume that the knitter knows what comes next - and on a beginner pattern - is craziness. :zombie: I thought for sure it was a typo or something, but to find that out just sent my mind into a blur.

I'm just tired of doing blankets and scarves. I've done a pair of mittens and a few dog sweater and those came out fine, but they also didn't leave any of the pattern out either. :roll:

Sigh, so much to learn :tap:

knitqueen
02-25-2007, 08:31 PM
To reassure you a bit.....not all patterns are written in a way that assumes you know stuff by reading between the lines. There are many very well written patterns. It's true that knitting patterns have a certain 'language' that takes a bit of figuring out, but a well written pattern will tell you everything you need to know.

What is the pattern that you were working on??

Knitting_Guy
02-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Geez, I was just thinking today that I might like to try a sweater some time soon. Now I'm not so sure I'm ready for it yet.

bailsmom
02-25-2007, 08:45 PM
To reassure you a bit.....not all patterns are written in a way that assumes you know stuff by reading between the lines. There are many very well written patterns. It's true that knitting patterns have a certain 'language' that takes a bit of figuring out, but a well written pattern will tell you everything you need to know.

What is the pattern that you were working on??

It's called Lace Notes from the Family Circle Easy Sweaters book. Ironic, hey?? Easy. :roll:

pg 24

Braden
02-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Geez, I was just thinking today that I might like to try a sweater some time soon. Now I'm not so sure I'm ready for it yet.

No, go ahead. I didn't think I was ready, but turned out, I was. They are really simple, if you have a good pattern.

bailsmom
02-25-2007, 08:51 PM

Mason,

Please don't decide to not try due to my lack of intelligence!! I say if you're up to it, then go for it. I'm thinking of writing out each row that involves the arm shaping, that way I don't have to "guess" which row I'm on and worry about messing up. It sounds time consuming, but it is what it is.

Good luck!

Cristy
02-25-2007, 09:25 PM
writing out the rows might be a good idea--I don't do it but a girl in my snb does and she says that for her, it makes all the difference in the world. Hang in there--just put it away and come back to it. Glad you enjoyed the ice cream--I think I might go raid our freezer now...

BostonBecca
02-25-2007, 09:30 PM
I know how you feel, I am a new knitter as well and I feel bad whenever I mess up or have to frog a lot of work. It's tough, but fun! Think about what you are learning, it's great!

aylaanne
02-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Reading this thread makes me not feel bad about the bag of Jelly Bellys I just decimated. Thanks, I love you guys. :oops: :rofl:

I'm lucky in that I have two wonderful knitting groups and two wonderful LYSs nearby to me that I can hit up when I'm hitting a wall with a pattern. Plus this website! :cheering: Seriously, don't give up. Maybe walk away for a while, but don't give up.

*opens another bag of jelly beans*

cookworm
02-26-2007, 10:29 AM
:hug: I'm so sorry that you're having trouble with your sweater. To be honest, every time I read through a garment pattern, I get shaky!!! So I think you're really brave for trying a sweater!!! To me--even the beginner patterns--assume that you know certain things, and that's very frustrating to me. A pattern might say to go from knitting one part of the garment to another, and I'm sitting there like, "Okay, does that mean I put these live stitches on a stitch holder? Do I start a new ball of yarn, or do I break the yarn I'm working with and use it for this new section???" Maybe once I were to tackle one sweater project and get the general technique down, those very basic questions I have would be answered, but it's hard without having somebody there sitting next to me to answer my questions as I come to those places. I wanted to make a dickey (http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/473) to put on underneath some shirts during the winter to keep out the cold drafts--nowhere near the complexity of a sweater, mind you!--but to be honest with you, I'm intimidated to try even this little garment, even though I think I have the techniques mentioned in it mastered; it's a matter of implementing them the right way at the right time in the right sequence. :verysad: This is probably why hats and shawls are my favorite things to knit--very little (and easy!) shaping! :oops:

I agree that you shouldn't frog it yet. I think you should pick up something that you've done many times maybe that you're confident with and knit away, and when you're finished with that project, it will help you gain some new confidence.

And ice cream makes EVERYTHING feel better!!!! :teehee:

Ellieblue
02-26-2007, 11:49 AM
the feelings you feel are the reason I will only knit/crochet patterns that are charted. You can do the same thing with your pattern, just get a book with instructions and symbols and you can chart any pattern.then you can see how it looks as you work. I also use markers between each repeat and before I decrease, I place a marker before and after the number of sts I will eventually bind off. Good luck, ellie :happydance:

miccisue
02-26-2007, 03:33 PM

Mason,

Please don't decide to not try due to my lack of intelligence!! I say if you're up to it, then go for it. I'm thinking of writing out each row that involves the arm shaping, that way I don't have to "guess" which row I'm on and worry about messing up. It sounds time consuming, but it is what it is.

Good luck!

This may sound dumb, but I always keep a notepad beside me and put a line down for each row I've done (usually break it down into 5's, as that makes it easier to tally up later, LOL!). For me, it's all too easy to lose track of where I am - especially if I'm interrupted or have to set the project aside for a bit - and get all off pattern, so this really helps me.

Mrs. Columbo
02-26-2007, 04:39 PM
I started to knit because I love turtlenecks and just plain sweaters ... sweater freak ... my husband said that he hardly recognized me when I came down the aisle because I didn't have a sweater on ... :teehee:

However, I started on a shawl, frogged that 12 times .... then another shawl different yarn, frogged that 10 times ... started a bag, frogged it twice, then dog got it when it was nearly done so it was dog frogged ... now am starting the same shawl again, and another bag .... because I haven't finished one single thing, I tend to get discouraged but I know at this point I just could not do a sweater or anything that involves doing a swatch.

Toby

mare-nitt
02-26-2007, 05:23 PM
I am a beginner and have one tote bag and a purse done, felted. I am starting another purse.
I plan on doing a sweater next, the store where I take lessons recomended a sweater from the top down before trying socks,
I can't wait to learn to read patterns.
This forum is great, and you guys have a good sense of humor.
What does frog mean? :doh:
I would also love to find an easy pattern for a scarf, and try that.
Marilynn

Mrs. Columbo
02-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Frog is to tear something out ..... as in rip-it rip-it ....

Toby (Professional Frogger)

DQ
02-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Oooh this thread is scaring me!! I've only done very very basic sort of patterns and my current projects don't have one at all! I hope when I start something with a pattern that I can read it ok :oops:

aylaanne
02-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Oooh this thread is scaring me!! I've only done very very basic sort of patterns and my current projects don't have one at all! I hope when I start something with a pattern that I can read it ok :oops:

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT be afraid. Lion Brand is not very descriptive with their patterns. A better place to look for a pattern may be knitty, who has all their pattern writers leave their email address, and they're generally very nice about answering questions, too. Plus, you can always come here for help with a pattern, and people are more than willing to help you (as evidenced by the size of this thread).

However, you will never get anywhere if you don't start somewhere. Take risks! Make mistakes! create hideous mats of knitted yarn that look terrible! Don't be afraid to frog! Knitting is an adventure, and like all adventures, you never know what will happen next, or what you'll learn from it.

DQ
02-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT be afraid. Lion Brand is not very descriptive with their patterns. A better place to look for a pattern may be knitty, who has all their pattern writers leave their email address, and they're generally very nice about answering questions, too. Plus, you can always come here for help with a pattern, and people are more than willing to help you (as evidenced by the size of this thread).

However, you will never get anywhere if you don't start somewhere. Take risks! Make mistakes! create hideous mats of knitted yarn that look terrible! Don't be afraid to frog! Knitting is an adventure, and like all adventures, you never know what will happen next, or what you'll learn from it.

I'll try and be brave :mrgreen: Once I've finished my two projects I've got on the go I'm going to go for it and try a pattern! Either socks or a sweater maybe xxx