PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Speed Knitting Championships

landolphe
02-26-2007, 04:18 PM
The 2007 French Speed Knitting Champioships opens in Paris this Thursday. Knitters from >10 countries have registered. There are also events for knitting in pattern stitches, as well as crochet.

Rules are simple: US 6 needles, 60 sts per row, garter stitch, 3 minutes

Current "world" record: 298 sts in 3 minutes

YIKES!!!

Cheers,

Landolphe, who must now come to terms with being handicapped

PS: Can post links for those who want to read more (in French).

bip
02-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Wow! That is amazing! I wish I knitted that fast. I am working on this blanket right now that started with 8 sts and you increase 4 every round to keep it flat. I now have more than 650 sts around, and will have 748 sts when it is done. I could finish in a few hours if I could do 100 sts/min! As it is, it will probably be another week (depending on how much work I put into my other 2 projects :) )

aylaanne
02-26-2007, 04:53 PM
I knit fast, but not that fast. I should probably take a speed test to see how fast I knit. Might be fun.

bip, I'm making the same blanket! I'm not as far as you though (I got distracted).

CarmenIbanez
02-26-2007, 06:42 PM
We should all do speed tests. That would be fun! :cheering: I'll do one tonight and post my speed. I'm not ashamed. Even though I probably should be. :teehee:

Jan in CA
02-26-2007, 06:46 PM
:passedout:

auburnchick
02-26-2007, 06:47 PM
We should all do speed tests. That would be fun! :cheering: I'll do one tonight and post my speed. I'm not ashamed. Even though I probably should be. :teehee:

Errrr...NO!!! I don't want to know exactly how much of a klutz I really am. I currently have myself deluded into believing that I know what I'm doing.

Now, give me a manual typewriter, and I'm there! Can you say "Alabama State Typing Champion on a Manual Typewriter" (year around 1986 or 1987)?? (Sad, but true)

:teehee:

Dangles
02-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Now, that just puts me to shame :o

landolphe
02-26-2007, 08:07 PM
AND ... done on straight needles (unbelievable to me), but in Continental style, with needles held in Victorian position!

:passedout:

JUST IMAGINE: she could knit up a thing (or two or four) while browsing around her LYS! Grizzly. Totally Grizzly. I tell ya, it jus' ain't fair. :thud:

Landolphe

PS: I think I just might send my Cursed Ribbon Yarn Triangular Shawl from Hell over to Paris and see if one of the contestants could finish it up (or off) for me during a cafe and baguette break. :teehee:

Birdy
02-26-2007, 09:15 PM
I'd love to know how to go about timing oneself! I'd find it awkward.

I can average 86 wpm with 100% accuracy on the computer keyboard. Mind you I don't have the greatest Grammer or Spelling :lol:

Braden
02-27-2007, 12:59 AM
I just clocked my knitting speed, and I can knit about 203 stitches in 3 minutes. No lie. My relaxed speed is about 55 stitches per minute.

syndactylus
02-27-2007, 02:08 AM
what's victorian position?
close your eyes & think god save the queen?

sorry!

Jan in CA
02-27-2007, 02:20 AM

sorry!

:shock: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

mwedzi
02-27-2007, 09:31 AM
I timed myself before at 48 knit stitches / minute when a similar thread got started on another forum. Somewhere in average range. 33 purl stitches /min and 33 sts in k1 p1 ribbing, too.

ContiKnitter, you're fast!

Lieke
02-27-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm not fast at all and I don't feel like timing myself. I knit for fun, not to get things done as fast as possible. My mom is really fast, I'm not half as fast as she is. And we both knit english style, so I think my mom would be able to gain more speed when she switches to continental style (although don't expect her to do that, she's happy the way she knits now)

landolphe
02-27-2007, 11:56 AM

sorry!

As I understand it, when working with two needles, holding the right needle as you would a pen is the "Victorian" position. :shrug:

Landolphe

Cristy
02-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Funny that this victorian position issue came up....last night at my snb a new lady came and she was knitting in the victorian position if that really is when you hold your needles like a pencil...I commented to her that I had never seen anyone knit in that position before...I was just about to start a new thread about it to find out if it has a name or if she just knits differently...

landolphe
02-27-2007, 09:51 PM
I cannot recall where I read/heard that the name of the hand position is "Victorian", but I do recall that many women used that position in the Victorian era as it was "the only dignified way for a proper lady to hold her needles." :shrug: It is a pretty position and allows for the RH needle to rest across the wrist/forearm.

There was a guest on Knitty Gritty who held that way but knitted Continental style, holding the working yarn between her thumb and index finger, instead of looping it over the extended index finger. Also looked very nice. And, Loord, was she fast!

Landolphe

landolphe
02-27-2007, 10:14 PM
OK gang, still time to catch a late flight to Paris for the 2007 Speed Knitting Championships. Oil up them stix, take a coupla Ibuprofen, and get knittin'! :teehee:

First events open on March 1st; event runs for 3 days. Coupla French knitting mags and yarn cos are offering some nice prizes. And of course, there's the one year's worth of bragging rights.

All Aboard!

Landolphe :hug:

landolphe
03-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Here (http://www.bhkc.co.uk/data/speed_challenges.htm) is site and links to many amazing knitting event records and pix.

Apparently, current world speed record is 333 sts in 3 minutes. :thud:

Landolphe

Braden
03-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Say what?

madametj
03-01-2007, 09:00 PM
i can probably knit like 6 sts in 3 min. :teehee:

ok, thats an obvious exageration (which i think is called an "hyperbole"--yes, i paid attention to my English lesson! :cheering:), but i honestly can say i knit very fast at all. i'm with Lieke, its just not much of a goal of mine. i might still time myself though :teehee: