PDA

View Full Version : Yarn-tainers

newamy
02-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Does anyone actually use yarn-tainers? The plastic cylinder containers that you run the yarn through the hole in the lid? Do you like them?

My mother-in-law gave me one for my birthday. It looks okay in theory, but once you set it up with the yarn you cannot take it out of the yarn-tainer till you are at the end of the skein. So there is no latitude to be able to change ones mind about using it if you don't like it.

cookworm
02-27-2007, 12:40 AM
I use a ziploc bag that I can snip one of the corners out of, then I feed the yarn through there. If I decided I didn't want the yarn anymore, worst case scenario is that I would just tear the side out of the bag. It's economical and handy. I can't personally vouch for the yarntainers, but I'm glad you posted the inconvenience about them. What a shame--it's a great idea in theory.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-27-2007, 12:41 AM
once you set it up with the yarn you cannot take it out of the yarn-tainer till you are at the end of the skein.

Exactly why I *don't* use them. :)

debb
02-27-2007, 12:42 AM
I use mine all the time because I carry my projects with me always. I'm a fairly slow knitter as it seems I have to knit a row or two whenever I can, don't actually sit and knit much and these keep things neat and organized for me.

I also found something similar at my LYS, but vinyl so they're flexible instead of rigid. They also have some that hold 2 or 3 ballls so if you're using more than one color, you can keep them all together.

Braden
02-27-2007, 12:43 AM
Nah, I've used them, and I don't like them.

redwitch
02-27-2007, 01:32 AM
If you like the idea except for that one flaw, you could cut a hole in the middle of the lid of a plastic container, and cut a line from the hole to the outside for removing the ball when you want to. Like an ice-cream container?

Sarah

horve1
02-27-2007, 08:49 AM
I have one and I use it, but wouldn't recommend it either for the reason stated above.