PDA

View Full Version : Austin, TX and surrounding areas?

stacy.duval
02-27-2007, 01:14 PM
I actually live in Bastrop, TX, which is just outside of Austin, but travel to Austin regularly. So, is there anybody in the area?

wildflower38
02-28-2007, 05:38 AM
I live in Corpus Christi. Is that too far away?

stacy.duval
02-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Yeah, it's about 4 hrs I think.

Abbily
03-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi, Stacy! I'm in north Austin- Braker/Metric area, and work downtown.

Carey

brownishcoat
03-08-2007, 11:09 AM
I live near Houston, and there is an alpaca ranch in Brenham that might be a good "(almost) half-way point". :waving:

Abbily
03-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Wow, how fun would it be to meet at an alpaca ranch! :)

spasmo
03-11-2007, 06:32 PM
I live in Cedar Creek... and drive to Austin five days a week.

Abbily
03-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi Anna,
I don't really know where Cedar Creek is- is that a long drive? I drive from north Austin to downtown 5 days a week and it makes me crazy. :P

Carey

spasmo
03-11-2007, 10:02 PM
I am right off of 71 East about 5 miles west of Bastrop (in between 21 going to San Marcos and McKinney's Rough). I work downtown and there are days when traffic makes me want to knit while driving.

Abbily
03-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Ahh, you're going the opposite way from me... but I know the feeling! I'd be afraid that if I pulled out my knitting, the traffic would make me want to gouge my eyes out... but I do love working downtown. :)

stacy.duval
03-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Boy I am so glad I don't have to make the drive to Austin every day anymore. That is just miserable, and expensive too. Now I work about ten blocks from my house, and it is really nice. I do go to Cedar Creek often though, as my dad still lives there, and my sister is in Rockne.

Tsukitiger
03-14-2007, 10:53 PM
I too live in central texas (go texas :D)

Abbily
03-15-2007, 10:08 AM
So, has anyone been to the LYS up on North Hills Drive, called European Knits? That's closer to my end of town, Hill Country Weavers is cool but soooo far away from me.

Carey

stacy.duval
03-15-2007, 10:45 AM
I went in there a few days ago, and I was not impressed. Very small selection, hardly worth the gas. It's an older German lady running a yarn shop in the front room of her apartment. When I asked her if she knew of any companies locally who would process my raw llama wool into rovings, I got a long lecture about how I need to do it myself, and the only people who know how to do things the "right" way are the europeans. It's 30 lbs. of wool, and I've got 30 more to shear off the llamas in a few weeks. But no, I should do it myself. Anyways, I wouldn't recommend that place.

Has anybody tried Bluebonnet Yarn Shop? I haven't been in there yet.

Abbily
03-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Stacy, thanks for the info. DARN, I was hoping it would be a good place since it's so much closer to me! Oh well...

I haven't been to Bluebonnet either.

Carey

manmade
03-20-2007, 01:02 AM
I live in Austin (Oak Hill actually) and I work downtown. Usually from about 9:00 am till 10:15 am, and from 2:30ish till about 4:45 pm during the week, I knit in the Seattle's Best coffee shop in the Frost Bank tower. I ride the bus to work, and I get downtown about an hour and a half before work (I'm a sushi chef downtown, and my wife drops me off at the bus stop on her way to work). Then I have time between shifts, so I spend my time knitting.

I just started knitting in October. I made a scarf and started a second, then I discovered knitting in the round. Now I mainly knit hats. I have also felted a couple of them. And I am now teaching myself how to wet felt (I've done one hat this way so far, but I need more practice).

Also, while knitting in the coffee shop, I occasionally talk with the husband of the woman who owns the Bluebonnet Yarn shop, but I haven't made it up there yet. I have to bus everywhere.

manmade
03-20-2007, 01:11 AM
I live in Austin (Oak Hill actually) and I work downtown. Usually from about 9:00 am till 10:15 am, and from 2:30ish till about 4:45 pm during the week, I knit in the Seattle's Best coffee shop in the Frost Bank tower. I ride the bus to work, and I get downtown about an hour and a half before work (I'm a sushi chef downtown, and my wife drops me off at the bus stop on her way to work). Then I have time between shifts, so I spend my time knitting.

I just started knitting in October. I made a scarf and started a second, then I discovered knitting in the round. Now I mainly knit hats. I have also felted a couple of them. And I am now teaching myself how to wet felt (I've done one hat this way so far, but I need more practice).

Also, while knitting in the coffee shop, I occasionally talk with the husband of the woman who owns the Bluebonnet Yarn shop, but I haven't made it up there yet. I have to bus everywhere.

Abbily
03-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Manmade- wow! I would kill to have that much knitting time, that's awesome! I work just a little west of downtown (near Huts) but I'm a legal assistant, so not much knitting time during my work day. :P I carry it around with me anyway, though, and occasionally do a little knitting during lunch. I have a co-worker who is my knitting inspiration, and recently discovered that one of our clients is a knitter as well, so he and I have been talking knitting when we work together! :)

Carey

stacy.duval
03-20-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm a substitute teacher at our high school, so I get to knit during my conference period if I'm not too busy, and occasionally if I have a small quiet class, or they're watching a movie or something. The kids are just fascinated by it, for some reason.

Tsukitiger
03-20-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm a substitute teacher at our high school, so I get to knit during my conference period if I'm not too busy, and occasionally if I have a small quiet class, or they're watching a movie or something. The kids are just fascinated by it, for some reason.

That most kids are. they find it fascinating that you can make accesories/clothing from yarn or at least. I did, (when I was smaller).

Abbily
03-20-2007, 11:26 PM
My girls are fascinated by it, and they're pretty young. I bet kids old enough to actually knit on their own would be even more interested! My grandma taught me to knit when I was a kid because I was always interested in what she was working on.

Carey

phisch
03-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Hi! I'm currently in So. Calif. but we're hoping to move to Austin when/if our house sells. Is that becoming a common story there?

I'd love to hear about knitterly things in the area. Sounds like there aren't that many yarn shops?

We're not sure where we're going to move to yet, possibly Steiner Ranch area or by Slaughter Creek. Is the traffic bad from those areas during rush hour?

Abbily
04-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi there! Do you know when you're moving to Austin? I hope all the house issues go smoothly. Are you moving here for a job, or just for a change? :) I was born in Austin and I love it here.

Traffic is bad from any part of town during rush hour- but depending on where you're going and what time of day, you might do OK. :) I live in North Austin and work downtown- it's a horrible commute during rush hour, but I work 7:30-4:30, so I miss the worst of the traffic.

OnlyCoolBoysKnit
04-04-2007, 10:00 AM
i live in austin and would be happy to find local knitter

Abbily
04-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Hi! What part of Austin do you live in? I live up north off Braker, but work downtown. My knitting is under my desk right now calling to me... but I'm supposed to be filing right now... :)

OnlyCoolBoysKnit
04-04-2007, 09:00 PM
I live in westlake right now and havent been able to find any decent yarn stores in austin and it sounds like you havent either. Ive been knitting a while now and I dont know any fellow knitters in austin (i guess i wasnt looking hard enough).

Abbily
04-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Hill Country Weavers is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't been there yet because it's so far from where I live. It might not be too far from you, though.

I have one knitting friend here, she works in my office. We don't ever get together to knit, though, just talk about it at work.

manmade
04-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Hill Country Weavers is a nice little yarn store. I go in there at least once a week. It is just a couple of miles south of downtown on South Congress (between Riverside and Oltorf on the east side of Congress by the little brick firestation) . I work downtown too, and I just catch the number 1 bus down there during the three hour break I have between shifts.
Also, I usually don't work till 5:00 on Monday and Thursday, so I walk or bus around the downtown area a lot. Sometimes I like to have lunch over at Hut's and then check out the books on knitting over at Book People. Or I will even walk over to the Public Library. The library is good because I don't spend any money on yarn or knitting books.

Abbily
04-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Hey, I work right across the street from Huts! :) I'll have to check out Hill Country Weavers on my lunch break one of these days... I'm just afraid my checkbook will not survive the experience...

phisch
04-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi there! Do you know when you're moving to Austin? I hope all the house issues go smoothly. Are you moving here for a job, or just for a change? :) I was born in Austin and I love it here.

Traffic is bad from any part of town during rush hour- but depending on where you're going and what time of day, you might do OK. :) I live in North Austin and work downtown- it's a horrible commute during rush hour, but I work 7:30-4:30, so I miss the worst of the traffic.

Hi Abbily, fortunately, we're moving for a change (home prices being what they are out here, we thought we'd join the rest of the Californians in other states). My hubby would get to work at home. Yay!

Someone I know left for Austin on vacation and thought it was awful because of the traffic. Thing is, I think they were there during SXSW.

Sounds like traffic really isn't so bad. Afternoon rush hour here starts at 3 pm. Mornings probably 6:30 or 7.

I would love to be able to move to Westlake area. All depends on whether or not our home sells, though. We hope to move out there some time this summer.

Abbily
04-15-2007, 08:55 PM
phisch,
Well, traffic can be really bad... but if your friend was here for SXSW then that is definitely not a good idea of 'normal'. :) Westlake is a lovely area, if a bit snooty. :) Austin is a great town, though, I love it here. I was born here and cant' imagine moving away. Of course, it helps that the grandparents are here! :)

Carey

phisch
05-07-2007, 05:34 PM
A bit snooty? Yeah, guessed so bec. of the prices. But it's close to downtown compared to Steiner Ranch, the other area we looked at. There was also Lakeway, but that seems even farther out.

It is so pretty there! We visited last year, in June, and I can't get over how gorgeous it was to drive over the river (Town Lake? Lake Austin? It was confusing). There were so many trees, you could only just make out all the rooftops.

But this is a knitting forum! So then...how hot does it really get during the worst of summer? Because I'd rather not have to put my needles down. And is it still possible to wear woolly-ish things in the winter? This past winter doesn't count since it was freakishly cold everywhere.

Abbily
05-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Yes, it is still possible to wear wooly-ish things in the winter- although more likely as your outerwear than your regular indoor clothes! :) It has been hovering between 80-90 for most of April and May, it will creep ever closer to 100, typically hit 100 in July and stay there between 100-105 until the end of August, then it will stay in the 90's through September and some of October, drifting slowly toward 70's. It doesn't really get cold here till January, and then only for the month, usually. And 'cold' for us can range anywhere from upper 60's down into the lower 30's. We usually have one or two freezes, that typically will only last over night but may last 3-4 days. Then back to 70's and 80's in February/March.

So, you might want to save your lace knitting for the summer... :)

iza
05-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Hi everyone! :muah: I will be going to San Antonio in September for a conference, and I'm thinking of visiting Austin too. Anything you recommend? Are there frequent busses/trains that go from San Antonio to Austin?

I must say I'm a bit afraid of the weather, coming from Montreal I'm used to colder temperatures. :teehee: So 90 in September that's... over 30 degrees Celsius? :noway: that's hot!

Abbily
05-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Yup, 90 in September is about right! That's cooling off, it's usually over 100 in August! I don't know about buses or trains, we're not very good at public transportation down here. As for what to do?

You can visit the Texas Capitol (http://www.tspb.state.tx.us/spb/capitol/texcap.htm)

Go on a Duck adventure (http://www.austinducks.com/)

Go see the bats on the Lonestar River Boat (http://www.lonestarriverboat.com/)

Or just enjoy some of our famous live music. :)

Have a great time, and I would love to meet a fellow KH'er if you have time! :)

Carey

phisch
05-16-2007, 05:54 PM
So, it's just like a friend told us (friend lives in San Marcos). He said it's about 10 degrees colder in winter and 10 deg warmer in summer than So.Calif. Frosts do happen here also, once every 5 years or so. We also get the 100 degree weather, but that's just for a few days. Mostly 90s in the hottest month of August.

iza
05-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks Carey! :muah: It will help me a lot of I decide to go to Austin. Those riverboats look AWESOME! I have no idea however if I will be able to though, it will depend how many days off I get.

I found that Greyhound has some busses to Austin from San Antonio. Amtrack seems to do it too but it looks very long... I'm still investigating it.:happydance:

I'll keep you posted! :thumbsup:

Abbily
05-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Iza, definitely let me know if you make it! :) Either way, I hope you have fun in San Antonio!

Tsukitiger
05-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Yes, it is still possible to wear wooly-ish things in the winter- although more likely as your outerwear than your regular indoor clothes! :) It has been hovering between 80-90 for most of April and May, it will creep ever closer to 100, typically hit 100 in July and stay there between 100-105 until the end of August, then it will stay in the 90's through September and some of October, drifting slowly toward 70's. It doesn't really get cold here till January, and then only for the month, usually. And 'cold' for us can range anywhere from upper 60's down into the lower 30's. We usually have one or two freezes, that typically will only last over night but may last 3-4 days. Then back to 70's and 80's in February/March.

So, you might want to save your lace knitting for the summer... :)

Yep. it gets like that. Thats probally why I didnt think knitting was worth it (before I tried it). I thought I would never wear anything I made. Nor would anyone else... but then I found out how much fun it was and then it didnt even matter if i would wear it or not! :D

So whats lace knitting? Is it that type of knitting with thin material or making it looser?

Abbily
05-24-2007, 09:58 AM
So whats lace knitting? Is it that type of knitting with thin material or making it looser?

Both, kind of. There are lots of different lace patterns, they are mostly made with the same few stitches arranged in different ways, and they create a lacy, holey fabric. You can do lace with any weight of yarn, I guess, as long as you use big enough needles to create the lacy texture. I'm doing a feather and fan shawl right now which is a super easy lace pattern that comes out looking completely gorgeous- like THIS ONE (http://www.knitpicks.com/+Lace+1,+2,+3:+Andean+Treasure+Shawl_PD50478221.ht ml).

Carey

phisch
05-31-2007, 01:52 PM
woot! We're moving to Austin! That is if the buyer doesn't back out. Time to pack...oh yes, we're driving there, too. Lots of knitting time =)

Abbily
05-31-2007, 05:09 PM
Woo hoo! You will love it here! :) You'll have to pm me when you get settled so we can meet for lunch or something!

phisch
06-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Hehe...definitely. So far, it looks like we'll be moving end of June then staying in temporary housing (apartment most likely) while we look for a house.

Maybe meet up at Hill Country Weavers? I hear Yarnbow (ebay seller) has a shop in Lakeway. Hehe. Been doing my research ;)

Abbily
06-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Hey, are you still on for the end of this month? I guess if you are you're probably too busy to read this... LOL Anyway, buzz me when you get settled in, I'd love to meet up at Hill Country. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help with the move! :)

phisch
06-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Abbily...you are so sweet.

Here's our plan so far: we are going to drive off on the 29th of this month and stop for nights at Tucson and El Paso.

We have an apartment lined up in Austin. I guess it's kind of a pricey place, come to find out, but that's the only place we could find that does a short lease of 3 mos. (nothing month to month over there!). Then we go house hunting the next day after internet gets hooked up.

I am so excited! It's nice that this is happening just before we really get into summer! I would definitely love to get together at some knitterly thing. Any tips on where to spend the 4th would be appreciated to. Looks like you've had lots of rain lately, too, so that's really nice!

Miss Kittie
06-19-2007, 12:25 PM
July 4th.. Downtown by the river ( Town Lake) in the park.
Music and fireworks.. But go early..Big crowd..

Abbily
06-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Sounds like a good plan! :) Town Lake (Auditorium Shores) (http://www.austinsymphony.org/season/july/index.asp#jcf) is a great place to spend the 4th, but only if you REALLY like crowds. Miss Kitty isn't kidding, it's a huge crowd. It's a fun experience, though- the symphony plays down there along with the show, it's really neat. If you don't want *quite* as big a crowd, and don't mind listening to the concert simulcast on the radio, there are a number of other spots to watch the fireworks from, including Barton Creek Mall. Our fireworks are generally pretty sad, though. I'd love to take my kids down to auditorium shores one of these years, but at their current ages (5 and 3) I'm not sure they're really up for the crowds and the sitting around for hours on end.

Anyway, hope your move goes smoothly! What part of town is your apt in? You're right, it's pretty hard to find short term or month-to-month leases around here. Although you'd think with all the new apartments and condos going up, the market would be saturated and they'd have to get a little more flexible to get business!

phisch
06-19-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi, the apartment is at Parmer Ln. and Mopac.

Your fireworks? Yeah I hear you can't buy or set off fireworks in city limits? And pretty much most of Travis County is within city limits. Boo! I was looking forward to a real show, up close and personal.

Thanks for the info though. We might brave the crowds...we'll see if the boys are up for it. What would be really cool if there were some close enough to view from the apartment so we could see it from the pool ;) Hubby and both boys are fish!

Abbily
06-20-2007, 03:21 PM
HEY, well now we definitely have to get together! :) I live off Parmer & Mopac! And actually that's pretty close to empty spaces where you're not terribly likely to get caught with fireworks... or at least it used to be. The empty spaces are getting fewer and fewer... just a bit north of us on the County Roads you can usually find fireworks stands. :)

How old are your boys? My girls are 3 and 5 and are total fishes too. :)

phisch
06-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Well...we'll see how the 4th goes for us. Sounds like we have lots of options! Also, we'll have to see how the kids deal with the big booms. Both my kids are kind of sensitive to loud sounds, the oldest in particular.

I have an 8 yo and a 3 yo.

So you live near Parmer & Mopac? I am wondering what that area is like. We drove thru there a lot on vacation last year. Our motel was in RR and we ended up driving south all the time! I had no idea where RR was in relation to anything. What really sticks out in my mind is the drive across the river on Capital of Texas hwy. Gorgeous!

spasmo
06-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Howdy y'all!
I work a couple of blocks from the capitol and would love to meet y'all at Hill Country Weavers for lunch. It is one of my favorite lunch places...:lol:. Abbily, do you really work near Huts? They have the best onion rings! It could be cool to meet there too.

I didn't know Yarnbow's shop was in Lakeway. I have ordered from her on ebay before but always wondered if she had a brick and mortar shop. COOL! Phsich... if you end up in Steiner Ranch that will be very convient for you. I get out that way occassionally and I'm gonna have to check that out. I haven't been to Bluebonnet yet but I have heard great things about them.

About the fireworks, we have had some very dry summers that last couple of years and that affected the types of fireworks they have been allowed to sell. Since we are already ahead of our rainfall totals maybe this year will be better for that industry.

It is so cool to find some local knitters!

~~Squee!~~

phisch
06-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Another Austin knitter I met thru my Vox told me about Yarnbow, and sure enough if you look on Ebay it does say Lakeway, TX.

Any opinions on Circle C or Lakeway? Lakeway feels really out of the way but it's really pretty.

spasmo
06-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Any opinions on Circle C or Lakeway? Lakeway feels really out of the way but it's really pretty.

They are both beautiful. If I were making that decision it would be based on my commute to work and what I like to do for recreation. Circle C might have a slight advantage if you were working downtown but if you wanted to spend the weekends on a boat Lakeway would have an advantage.

Abbily
06-27-2007, 09:46 AM
phisch, I don't know much about either Lakeway or Circle C except that they're nice parts of town, and to me they are WAAAAY far away! :) I've always lived in north Austin. :)

AnnaB- yup, I work almost right across the street from Huts, and I'd love to meet there for lunch sometime! You're right, they do have excellent onion rings!

Carey

phisch
06-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Commute isn't an issue for us (hubby is telecommuting). We just have to take him to the airport once every 6 weeks or so.

Maybe we'll win the lotto and live in Enfield instead. Of course...we dont' buy tickets so...

We may also look in Dripping Springs area. Hubby knows someone thru work who lives out there and loves it. This guy's sister lives in Westlake area and says that the kids are pushed really hard in school for those exemplary test scores. Give and take, I suppose.

Enough about that. How are you guys doing with all the rain?

spasmo
06-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Abbily,
I'm going to be off next Wednesday - Friday but lets get together soon. I was knitting on my Lady E at lunch today and would love having a knitting friend!

So far we are high and dry here in Cedar Creek (outside of Bastrop). There are about 100 homes along Lake Travis that are either already flooded or about to be flooded. My heart goes out to them.

There are some beautiful areas in Dripping Springs. I'll be pretty close to Dripping Springs tomorrow when I'm in Oak Hill at a meeting. I dont really mind the commute. I came from Houston and there were days that driving 10 miles could take 45 minutes to an hour. Now... for the most part... even in rush hour my 36 mile commute takes 35 minutes. I dont really mind it. We are s-l-o-w-l-y building more roads and each road helps.

I hope everyone else is safe and high and dry.

phisch
07-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I <3 Austin!

The rain, the trees, the flowers, all of it! We got in to town on Sunday afternoon and have been trying to settle in. We did home shopping on Tuesday at Belterra. The homes there are so pretty (and big...a good/bad thing).

All that driving time and did I knit? Nope. Just one row of a sweater is all. The kids had such a hard time sleeping on the road and so when I wasn't driving I was trying to nap. It's ok, I made up for it by making a washcloth since I had no idea where those were packed.

July 4 we may drive down to Fredricksburg where we stopped on the way in. We never did get a chance to buy some peaches. It seemed like there were so many places selling them over there. Not to mention it's just such a neat little place.

I have yet to venture past Target and Walmart shopping. I may take the boys down town on Thursday morning and check out Hill County Weavers (or where ever that happens to be).

spasmo
07-04-2007, 05:26 PM
I <3 Austin!

I may take the boys down town on Thursday morning and check out Hill County Weavers (or where ever that happens to be).

http://www.hillcountryweavers.com/images/whosonfirstBudandLou%5B2_1183347722.jpghttp://www.hillcountryweavers.com/email/logotype.gif (http://www.hillcountryweavers.com) CELEBRATE THE 4TH ON THE 5TH FOR THE 1ST

who's on FIRST?
what's on SECOND?
the sale's on the FIFTH!
to celebrate the FOURTH
SECOND sunday, the EIGHTH,
THREE days past the FIFTH
we're closed on the FOURTH
but opened the FIFTH!!

There is a sale at Hill Counrty Weavers this thursday...

4th OF JULY FORMULA FOR 1st THURSDAY THE 5th

25% (1/4) off any yarn with a 4 in the price
20% (1/5) off any yarn with a 5 in the price

got it? Cause there's more!!!
The easy part, 10% off any book!!!!!''

* sale does not apply to already marked down yarns

Abbily
07-04-2007, 10:04 PM
AnnaB... I'm finally back in town after heading to Florida for a funeral... let me know when you're free for lunch! I don't think I have anything planned except for July 11/12, I have to go one of those days to register my kiddos for school in the fall.

Phish- glad you made it! I feel your pain about the drive- we were supposed to drive to Sarasota, FL for my grandma's funeral, but our flights got cancelled and we ended up having to drive the 21 hours straight through- my parents, me and my 3 and 5 yo girls in my Highlander.... all day Thursday and through the night... we got there at about 5:30 in the morning for an 11am funeral. sheesh. Anyway, we were able to spend a few days just fiddling around before driving back over 2 days!

Have fun home shopping!! I would love to win the lottery and live in Enfield... except the property taxes would kill me. :P My parents live near Hyde Park and their taxes are insane. Oh well. Have fun getting settled in!

Carey

PrisKnits
07-04-2007, 10:53 PM
I live in Manor which is just down the road from Elgin which is just down the road from Bastrop. I work in South Austin--if you are in that area in the afternoon sometime maybe we could get together for a little lite dinner and talk knitting?
Priscilla

Abbily
07-04-2007, 11:02 PM
PrisKnits- I just drove through your neck of the woods on my way back from Florida yesterday! How far south do you work? I work downtown and for another month the kids are in school downtown, so it would be pretty easy for me to pick them up and head a little south for dinner, if you dont' mind me bringing them along! :)

Carey

PrisKnits
07-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Sure, I work on East Oltorf, but can meet anywhere near there any time after 4:30ish. Let me know.

phisch
07-06-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm so glad I didn't stop by here on Thursday. I nixed the HCW trip and I would have gone crazy buying since I have no yarn. Well, only enough to make two washcloths that I need since I have no idea where those are packed.

But I did find a Michael's not far from where we are.

Sunny today! Great for house hunting!

Speaking of...looks like we may nix Belterra. Not only because of taxes (3.09%!) but because of utilities costing so much. Double whammy, not good. But that was just a couple of hours hunting. Today and the weekend may yield better results.

Abbily
07-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Phisch, how's the house hunting going? I hope you had better luck this weekend!

Prisknits, I'm still trying to catch back up on my life after a whirlwind trip to FL for my grandma's funeral... let me catch my breath and we'll do dinner! :)

phisch
07-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Much better luck this last weekend. We put an offer on a house (only one so far that we both felt like it was "home") so I hope we find out today.

spasmo
07-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Much better luck this last weekend. We put an offer on a house (only one so far that we both felt like it was "home") so I hope we find out today.

That is GREAT phisch! Where is the house? We want deets!

phisch
07-10-2007, 10:39 PM
It's official! Offer, counter offer, accept and sign on the dotted line. Oh, hand over the check! It's in Circle C within walking distance to the new elementary school and a hop, skip and a jump to where they plan to put in a new pool (if they get off their collective duffs and finally break ground).

The best part is I get a room for my computers/guests/yarn stash and sewing machine!!!!

We went back to look at it today and we still got that "it's home!" feeling when we walked in. Blessed to pieces, we are!

Now all I have to do is be patient while we get the whole process finished.

Abbily
07-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Phisch, that's great news!! When do you close? Congrats!

Carey

phisch
07-17-2007, 07:55 PM
We're supposed to close Aug. 20. Only thing is that the inspector found something that can be an issue. The exhaust for the natural gas had one too many kinks in the pipe and, given the right (or wrong as the case is) conditions, could put carbon monoxide into the air conditioning. We're going to see if the sellers will help to arrange to have that fixed. I love the house and don't really want to walk away from it. Seems like the builder should help since the house is only 1 year old. The inspector thinks that the city missed it when they were doing their check to make sure things are to code.

Abbily
07-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Eek! I would definitely try to go after the builder on that issue- although I would try to get the seller to handle that since it's not your home yet. Lovely to think about the city missing something that could cause such harm! :P

phisch
07-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Yay! The builder's going to take care of it and we have it in writing. Load off my shoulders, lemme tell ya. I bet they're not happy they let that go and the poor sellers were there for a year and didn't know. We're back on schedule again!

I can't wait to move in. It will be nice to have a real bed again instead of an air mattress!

Knitting still, thankfully. I found a Michaels so I got some yarn to knit up a tank top from Knit.1 green issue.

spasmo
07-20-2007, 07:32 PM
YEAH phisch! I am so glad that everything is back on track now. I hope you get back into your real bed sooooooon!

phisch
07-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Yay for *real* mattresses and houses where you can have a dog and two cats! And can paint the walls!

Abbily
08-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Hey, how did the move go? I hope you're enjoying our *lovely* summer weather. :)

astonh
08-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I live up in CP but work SW (commute SUCKS...wish I had a chauffer so I could knit that min 2 hours a day when I'm stuck in transit). I've seen a few of you are South but was curious if anyone is up in my neck of the woods. Unfortunately, CP's knitting group (only one I know of) only meets in the middle of the workday which I can't do. Would love to see if anyone else up in this area knits.

Okay, I'm done rambling... Have a great Austin day, gang!

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-12-2007, 12:43 AM
Hello!

My first post in this great thread!:yay:

I'm in BUDA, but make frequent trips to Hill Country Weavers on Congress to buy yarn and Addis needles (building my collection).

I'm an RN and work in San Marcos.

...working on Irish Hiking Scarf, Feather and Fan Shawl...and waiting for yarn to come in for a wonderful Doctor Who Scarf (nerd girl, here!).

I used to live in South Austin...Manchaca and Slaughter area...I really miss Austin...nothing much to do in Buda (IMO).

Hmmm, what else? My BF is a fire alarm tech...we have 2 dogs and 2 cats...my organic garden has gone to he** because of all the rain we had the last 2 months...now it's getting fried from the heat, hehe! We are vegetarians, but enjoy beer and most kinds of music (except rap...).

Have a great weekend everyone...let me know if anyone needs to borrow needles or needs bits of yarn..I've got tons of both!

:) Your pal in Buda,

Martha Clark

Abbily
08-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Astonh, I live in Northwest Austin, but not all the way out to CP. I do head out that way on occasion though, in fact I took my kids out to the Inflatable Wonderland in Lakeline Mall on Saturday! UGH, I bet your commute does suck!! I work downtown and I think mine is bad! :P

Martha, we will have to get together and watch Doctor Who and knit sometime! :D I am the biggest Doctor Who geek.. LOL My husband laughs at me because I'm so obsessed. :)

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Abbily,

I will definitely take you up on that....once I get latest Doctor (David Tennant) box set...it's a bit pricey right now with all the Dr. Who Scarf yarn-buying, hehe!

Nothing like a plate of nachos...and Dr. Who...

I've been catching up with all the old episodes on YouTube...Oh Tom Baker (swoon!):muah:

Have a great day tomorrow everyone...stay cool...

It's 7:50pm right now...and 92 degrees! Ack!

I knew I should've knitted a cotton top or something during all those rain days!

Martha

Abbily
08-14-2007, 11:26 AM
I've been watching the current three seasons on the 'net and getting some of the classic ones at the library. Now if I could just find a good ringtone I'd be a happy girl... :)

spasmo
08-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Abbily I see that you are planning a Lady Eleanor shawl. I've already knit one and have a second one about half way done. Let me know when you get started... I love seeing Lady E's!

Abbily
08-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Anna, I will definitely let you know! I think it will be a while, though... I should probably change my sig to reflect what I'm really doing right now. I'm currently working on the Bevin tank (http://www.spunmag.com/article/050410bevin) and a feather and fan shawl. Lady E is definitely on my list though, I already have the yarn! :)

LauraD
08-17-2007, 07:37 PM
HI! Another Austin knitter! I am from West Lake but I promise not the snooty part:-) I am fairly new to knitting but LOVE it so much! I have made one visit to HCW and was overwhelmed! Plus I was there with my 3 year old and we had to search for a little pink bunny that she set down to fondle some yarn...(I have 2 daughters, 3 dogs and a husband:-))

We should all totally get together and have a little knitting circle!

spasmo
08-17-2007, 09:14 PM

I think that would be so cool!

Doodknitwit
08-17-2007, 10:17 PM
outside of Austin... she knits, crochets and makes dolls...

http://www.lair-wildscape.com/lairlog.htm

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-17-2007, 11:49 PM
HI! Another Austin knitter! I am from West Lake but I promise not the snooty part:-) I am fairly new to knitting but LOVE it so much! I have made one visit to HCW and was overwhelmed! Plus I was there with my 3 year old and we had to search for a little pink bunny that she set down to fondle some yarn...(I have 2 daughters, 3 dogs and a husband:-))

Hello!

Haha, you mean there's a "snooty part" of Westlake? :noway:

A knitting circle of KH folks would be fun...I just today got in the rest of my yarn for a Doctor Who Scarf...I'm garter stitching like mad right now! It's Jo Sharp yarn, and it's really soft and easy to work with....

I'm a pretty new knitter as well, I get pleasantly overwhelmed everytime I go in HCW...I go there with the best intentions (just need Size 6 US 24" circular needles), but then leave with 100.00 worth of wool...haha! They have everything there...like I always say, though, I need to take the sock class...I just can't seem to get the hang of socks...:shrug:

Hey everyone, have a great night!

Martha

Abbily
08-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi Laura! I think a knitting circle would be awesome! How old are your girls? Mine are 3 and 5. My 5 year old is interested in knitting and has learned to finger-knit, but I haven't taught her to knit with needles yet.

Carey

LauraD
08-18-2007, 05:13 PM
I also have a 3 year old (well next weekend) and a 5 year old:-) She will be 6 in November! She starts kindergarten on the 27th...I am freaking out a little! Finger knitting? how do you do that? I have thought about buying her those little kid needles so she can learn...not sure yet.

Abbily
08-19-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm freaking out a little about kinder too, mine starts on Wednesday. She's thrilled, though! Here's a link on finger knitting- Emily's making herself a belt. :) http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer06/FEATfingerknitting.html

LauraD
08-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the link to finger knitting! That looks like fun to teach!

WHat patten did you use for your Booga bag? Sounds fun!

Jill doesn't start school until Monday BUT we have activities all week. Ranging from the class lists being posted to "meet the teacher" on Friday to distribution of school supplies. So it's just killing me inside! Of course she has no idea...ugh.

Abbily
08-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Yeah, we started the 'meet the teacher' stuff last week... tonight we have new parent orientation, then tomorrow we meet my younger daughter's new teacher, school starts Wednesday, then on Monday night we have 'Rattler Roundup', whatever that is...

I used the Black Sheep pattern (http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html). It knits up so fast!

LauraD
08-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Ab! Good luck tomorrow with Kindergarten!

spasmo
08-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Be sure to tell your daughter something profound before you drop her off at kindergarten. I still remember my Mom sitting in the parking lot telling me "This is school. You are going to be in school for a long time so you may as well decide to like school." She meant well and no... it didn't send me into therapy. I always wondered how she knew way back then that I'd be in school until I was 30 getting my Masters. :wink:

evos524
08-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Hey everyone! I live in the Killeen/Fort Hood area, which is about an hour or so north of Austin. I go to Austin on a regular basis when the hubby is deployed (which is coming up soon - AGAIN). There's nothing to do here! LOL

I just started knitting a few weeks ago. I've made a scarf and earwarmers for my oldest DD (she's 3). Like she'll need them anytime soon! LOL

Anyways, I'll have to let you know the next time I'm headed down that way! Maybe we can get together!

Abbily
08-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Laura- Thanks! Both of my girls started school there yesterday (the younger one in preschool), and they both did great and had fun. I'll post the inevitable pictures at the end of my post... :)

Spasmo, that's funny! Unfortunately I don't think I came up with anything profound...

Evos, let us know when you're down here! We should definitely have a get-together.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/Aug028.jpg

LauraD
08-28-2007, 11:16 AM
How are my Austin Area knitters holding up with with weather???

Kindergarten is a big hit! She loves it!

Abbily
08-28-2007, 11:19 AM
I've lived in Austin all my life... this is a really mild summer as far as I'm concerned! :) Glad your daughter loves kinder! Mine is having a blast, too.

LauraD
08-28-2007, 06:56 PM
You are totally right about it being mild! It's just weird because of the roller coaster with the rain!

I AM SO EXCITED! I just found out that Hill Country Weavers carries Malabrigo Yarn! Everyone keeps raving about it and I refuse to buy yarn that I can't fondle first!

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-28-2007, 07:55 PM
I AM SO EXCITED! I just found out that Hill Country Weavers carries Malabrigo Yarn! Everyone keeps raving about it and I refuse to buy yarn that I can't fondle first!

YES!:woot:

I guess I know what I"LL be doing tomorrow (my day off)! I've always wanted to see just what there is about that yarn that everyone loves...thanks for the tip, LauraD! :)

Now to look for an appropriate pattern, too! What kind of needles? Oh, decisions, decisions! Heehee, I love it!

LauraD
08-28-2007, 09:07 PM
I may bump into you then! I still have to shop for my swap! I had some yarn picked out...I have actually ordered it but I cannot for the life of me pick a pattern to go with it! I guess I should go the other direction!

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-28-2007, 11:23 PM
If you see a 40'ish blonde with tie-dye or somesuch, it's probably me (see "Doctor Who KAL" in Knitalong section of forum, pics of me and my hoping-to-knit-to-13-foot-scarf!) Probably get there early to beat the heat.. :)

LauraD
08-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Same here about trying to miss the heat! I will be the crazed brunette chasing her 3 year old around the store trying to keep all the yard from falling on her head:-)

Abbily
08-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Did you girls go already? I would love to meet up with you there sometime! I have so far resisted visiting HCW because I know my wallet will not survive the trip... but I've been knitting since January and it's getting harder and harder to resist! I have never fondled Malabrigo either and I reeeeaaally want to!

LauraD
08-29-2007, 09:05 AM
I have not made it down there yet, I was thinking close to 9:30ish...

Abbily
08-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Oh well, I hope you had fun! :) I'll have to head down there on my lunch break one of these days.

LauraD
08-29-2007, 01:40 PM
SO! I went! Malabrigo is just a buttery and dreamy as everyone raves about. And it's not crazy expensive! I got a little for my swap partner:)

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-29-2007, 02:34 PM
I woke up at 345am this morning, couldn't sleep, so I knitted on my DW Scarf. Went back to bed around 800, then overslept, haha!

Ended up going around 1130. I bought 5 balls (some Intenso and some Emerald Blue) of the Malabrigo, 2 hanks of Debbie Bliss Donegal Tweed in burnt orange to finish up a Feather and Fan shawl (I like a heavy warm shawl), and 2 hanks of Tahiki Donegal Tweed (new to the store) in a lovely dark grey for hat and scarf for my BF.

The very nice girl who helped me out at HCW told me that 3 others had arrived ahead of me asking for Malabrigo..haha! I told her we were talking about it here...I'm glad they had quite a bit on hand, have a feeling it's going to go fast!

I wish I knew the best way to get back back and forth to Buda, though...that intersection at Oltorf and Congress is..well..."yucky" I guess I'd call it..way too many pedestrians and panhandlers in the street, not even paying attention to the "walk", "don't walk" lights...a lot of construction, too. Maybe I'll go up to Riverside next time, then get onto IH-35.

LauraD
08-29-2007, 03:47 PM
I bought the Curcao, a mixture of greens, yellows and blues and the Amaroso, very intense reds. I plan to go back! You talked to the girl with the long brown hair? Did she offer to ball it for you? I had that done:-) I bought a hank of Alchemy Waterlily a couple of weeks ago from there and in my ignorance thought I could do it myself. It is sitting in a knot on my desk...When I have NOTHING else to do I work on it.

phisch
08-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Yay for Austin rainy weather! No watering of the lawn needed. We have a lawn to take care of again :D

We just moved into our house last Friday and I love, love, love it. My son started 3rd grade this week...talk about change! Then we started getting furniture since we now have rooms to fill.

I did manage to find my knitting and my yarn but I haven't done more than 7 rows of the project I have OTN. Can you believe it? My fingers will forget what to do when we're all settled in and I get back my evening knitting time.

So...I haven't ventured over to HCW yet. How much is a skein of the Malabrigo? I'm thinking of making a belated b-day present out of some if I can swing the moolah.

astonh
08-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Recommendations for Austin (NW or SW preferred) LYS? Beyond the Hobby Lobby, Hancock and JoAnn's?

MarthaStarWarsFan
08-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Recommendations for Austin (NW or SW preferred) LYS? Beyond the Hobby Lobby, Hancock and JoAnn's?

Hill Country Weavers! :)

It's on Congress near Fran's Burgers, Guero's, Continental Club...umm...wait, here's the link!

http://www.hillcountryweavers.com/main.php

Everyone's so nice (and knowledgable) there, always new things to look at, LOTS of books...you'll love it...and all the yarn is fantastic! Addis needles are my favorite things right now.

Oh, btw, phisch, the Malabrigo was 10.20 when I went by on Wednesday...it's very nice...still trying to find a pattern I want to do, though.

Ahhh...rainy weather and 5 days off for me...guess I'll be doing a lot of knitting, :yay:

PrisKnits
09-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Hi Stacy, I live in Manor...not too far from Bastrop. I've been to Bluebonnet and it's OK. MY fav LYS is still Hill Country Weavers-they're hard to beat. I knit mostly at home, but I go out occasionally to knit. If you'd like to knit with someone, let me know. I'm working on a lacy shawl at the moment, and Xmas gifts!

astonh
09-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Okay, so I found that the Bluebonnet Yarn Shoppe is in Cedar Park (where I am) so I went there on Saturday with my 2.5 year old daughter. (I'm still hoping to stop in to Hill Country Weavers sometime soon.)

The minute I opened the door to this LYS, my daughter summed up my thougthts when she exclaimed (at the top of her lungs), "Ooooohhhhh! Mommy, it's sooooo BEAUUUUU-tiful!"

I wanted to just dump all the yarn into a big pile and jump in like it was a pile of leaves. OMG!:inlove: I could have stayed there ALL DAY. UNFORTUNATELY, my bonus check didn't come in yet (STILL) so I didn't get to purchase anything but I found about a MILLION differernt yarns I would love to knit. That was a dangerous place to visit! I'm doomed... Hee hee.

Thank you guys for the suggestions! My husband, however, is LESS than thrilled with my discovery of such a store. :roflhard:

Abbily
09-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Hmm, I need some new yarn for the oddball shawl I'll be getting soon... sounds like a trip to HCW is in order! :) Anyone want to join me?

LauraD
09-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Oooooh WHEN???

phisch
09-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I think I'll run to HCW some time soon. I thought I saw someone's pic of a clapotis in malabrigo. And I have a bday present to make :)

I got a local paper the other day and it had a fiber arts store in Wimberley. Is that far from south Austin?

Abbily
09-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Laura, I work FT so it will have to be a lunch time trip... hopefully sometime this week. Got any free lunch times?

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-05-2007, 11:28 AM
phisch, I read about that fiber arts store too...on their website: http://www.theoldoaksranch.com/fiber/index.html

Sounds awesome!

I'd love to go to HCW, but it'd have to be on a weekend, or on a Wednesday (my day off). I spent way too much last week on all that Malabrigo, though, haha!

BTW, I knitted up 2 hats in the Malabrigo using these patterns: http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt11.htm
http://www.hjsstudio.com/hat.html

I'll post pics soon, they both came up very nice (a bit small, though). It did take a while to get used to the softness of the yarn...it kept slipping off the slick Addi Turbo needles a bit too easy, haha! The dpns were very tricky, too!

Have a great day, everyone!

LauraD
09-05-2007, 11:49 AM
I am normally free right around lunch! I just have to be home by 2:30...so that I can be home before my older daughter gets home from school.

Abbily
09-05-2007, 12:02 PM
How about if we plan it for Wednesday next week... that way we can all three go? Martha, I can't wait to see pics of your hats!

LauraD
09-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Sounds good to me! Noonish?

Abbily
09-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Noon works for me! :)

LauraD
09-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Excellent! Looks like I am going to need to buy new yarn for my Swap Partner anyway...

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-05-2007, 07:00 PM
Great, guys!

I can definitely do Noon next Wednesday! Looking forward to it...:woohoo:

Hope it's not hot out...my car's a/c is out...ouch!

(*waves all other Central TX knitters to come along....we'll pull a en masse invasion of HCW!*)

spasmo
09-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Great, guys!

I can definitely do Noon next Wednesday! Looking forward to it...:woohoo:

Hope it's not hot out...my car's a/c is out...ouch!

(*waves all other Central TX knitters to come along....we'll pull a en masse invasion of HCW!*)

I'm in! Next wednesday at noon works great for me!:woohoo:

spasmo
09-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Hi Stacy, I live in Manor...not too far from Bastrop. I've been to Bluebonnet and it's OK. MY fav LYS is still Hill Country Weavers-they're hard to beat. I knit mostly at home, but I go out occasionally to knit. If you'd like to knit with someone, let me know. I'm working on a lacy shawl at the moment, and Xmas gifts!

I live in Cedar Creek right outside of Bastrop. We should get together some time!

Abbily
09-06-2007, 10:48 AM
WOO HOO, I can't wait! :)

spasmo
09-06-2007, 07:51 PM
YEAH!!!!! Maybe we should all wear something that makes it easier to spot each other.

LauraD
09-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Hmmm...maybe we should all make "KH" buttons and wear them with pride:-) or "I Heart Malabrigo" shirts...hee hee!

I will be the late 20's crazed looking person chasing a 3 year old and quietly yelling "GRACE"!

knitting4-2girls
09-07-2007, 02:55 AM
Hello all,

I just found this thread and I am so glad that I did. I live in Cedar Park and work almost downtown.

I have two girls ages 3 and 1. Luckily I get to knit at work so that keeps me sane.

Darn, I wish I could meet ya'll at HCW on Wednesday, but I have to work Tuesday and Wednesday nights so I plan on sleeping all day Wed. Don't buy up all the Malabrigo though. I'm planning on going on Friday with a knitter that I work with.

So glad to meet everyone!!!

Abbily
09-07-2007, 08:51 AM
YEAH!!!!! Maybe we should all wear something that makes it easier to spot each other.

Tee hee... yeah, I definitely think we should all wear something! :teehee:

OK, sorry, bad joke... I have no idea what I'll be wearing, but I'm the... shall we say "fluffy"... 32 yo with long wavy brown hair. Maybe we can all post on Wednesday morning to say what we're wearing. :) I can't wait!

Knitting4-2girls- welcome to the group! :) Isn't it fun having girls close together in age? Mine are 3 and 5 and they are so sweet together. :)

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-07-2007, 08:14 PM

Maybe we should KNIT something to make us easier to see!?

Hmmm....I'll have to think on that one...maybe cotton triangle-type head scarf? wristbands? Hmmm....:think:

phisch
09-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Is that next Wednesday, the 12th? If you all wear the same thing, maybe my young assistant skein-squeezer and I will pop in too.

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Is that next Wednesday, the 12th? If you all wear the same thing, maybe my young assistant skein-squeezer and I will pop in too.

It is, phisch! This upcoming Wednesday! :)

You should come on out and squeeze skeins with us!

I'm going to try and pick up something to knit my BF a hat out of...the Malabrigo I bought last week is a bit too "girly" for him, I think...!

LauraD
09-09-2007, 12:54 AM
I will wear my grey Texas Longhorn shirt...I have brown hair about 5'9...

Abbily
09-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I'll wear a purple short-sleeve blouse, I have long brown hair and I'm about 5'1". YAY, can't wait to meet you guys!

phisch
09-10-2007, 02:35 PM
I fully intend to go. Since I'm not a Martha ;) I can't plan my wardrobe but I'll have my 3 yo son with me.

The thing is he, caught a nasty tummy bug, is getting over it (keeping food down) and now his brother has it. Apparently, according to what my oldest heard in the nurse's office today, it's going around. :(

So we'll see if I can make it or if we're still calling our house the infirmary.

Take care, Austin! There's something *really* yucky going around!

Abbily
09-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Phisch, I hope both of your boys are feeling better soon! Hope you can make it Wednesday!

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Poor kids :(

I did pediatric nursing for 5 years...and the whole "stomach bug" thing is always bad...trying to keep 'em hydrated and comfortable...hope YOU keep well!

Oh yeah, since I'm MarthaStarWarsFan, I think I'll wear....a STAR WARS shirt, heehee!

Yeah, SW isn't associated with knitting, but I can just tell that Amidala probably had to learn knitting as part of her whole Princess/Queen training, right? I think Yoda wore woolen robes, or maybe bamboo-soy-yarn robes!

I'm almost thinking of a "Phish" (the band) concert shirt in honor of phisch....hmmm...nope...Star Wars...it'll inspire me to buy yarn and make an R2D2 hat http://cmeknit.blogspot.com/2006/10/r2-d2-hat.html

spasmo
09-12-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm going to be there a little early (I'll probably get there around 11:45) and I'll have a bright magenta shirt on. Squee!

LauraD
09-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Ladies, I am not going to be able to be there at noon afterall! I have a doctors appointment at 12:15! AH! I am going to be by there earlier to start working on a Christmas present project...we will have to try again later! Sorry! Have fun!

Abbily
09-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Laura, I hope everything is OK! We'll have to set up another meeting... I'm sure none of us will object to another field trip to the yarn store! :)

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Heading out the door in about 15 minutes...woot!

(*in a trance*) ...must buy yarn...must buy yarn!

Wearing a SW shirt...messy blondish hair...probably looking at knitting books, haha!

phisch
09-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Ok, so...how did it go? Did you take pictures? The weather was good, yes? :D

I missed it! Booo. Oldest got to go to school today, but the youngest, well, being younger, still has some symptoms so I thought it's better not to get touchy-feely with yarn someone else will buy. Our stock of saltines is almost gone, but that's ok, since they're back to normal food pretty much. I'm glad I don't have to remind them to drink since they're good about that.

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-12-2007, 03:25 PM
We missed you, phisch....and you too, LauraD! I'm sure there'll be other days we can ALL get together! :)

It was so awesome to meet Abbily and spasmo...(*waves hello to them!*).

We went around the shop touching and oooo'ing over everything, very fun! There is some yarn in there that is SO expensive, they should charge a cover charge to touch it...!:notworthy::notworthy:

After Abbily and spasmo left, I hung around another 1/2 hour probably, ended up buying SnB and SnB Nation books, some Noro Kuryeon (sp?), some nice scratchy Takhi Donegal Tweed in a dark red, and some dpn's.

We all agreed we HAVE to all get together...I know I have some projects that I could use some input on...I am NOT that great of a knitter, and I tend to just overlook mistakes (spasmo likes to frog...so I think I need to turn some of my stuff over to her! :) )

Have a great day everyone, I hope we can meet up again soon...cocktail knitting party anyone?

LauraD
09-12-2007, 04:28 PM
I am so glad everyone had such a good time! And thank you for your concern...it was a forgotten "yearly" appointment that my husband forgot to give me the message that they called until this morning over coffee...sigh. I am positive you all had more fun than I did.

I am all for a cocktail knitting party! We can help each other get our Christmas handmade gift lists in order AND help us remember knitting gifts that WE would LOVE to have. Knitting is even more fun over a good glass of wine!

I went to the library yesterday and picked up SnB Nation too! I love it so far!

Abbily
09-12-2007, 04:44 PM
That was so much fun! :) We definitely need to do that again, with a few more of us. There's a new store open in the Balcones area, opened by Carly, who used to work at HCW. We should check that one out. I definitely like the wine/cocktails and knitting idea, too.

Linda, glad to hear everything is OK with you!

Phisch, glad to hear the kids are on the mend!

I just put both Stitch & Bitch books on hold at the library... :)

astonh
09-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Oh, DARN IT! I JUST got caught up on the "Austin" news and realized that I missed jumping in on the opportunity of meeting some of you today. Bummer!

Knitting4-2girls, I live in Cedar Park as well. I work in SW Austin so I feel your commute pains (which I'm SURE you have). My two kiddos are just over 2.5 (girl) and 1.5 (boy). I probably get more knitting done at work on my lunch break than I do at home cause busy chasing them around. LOL

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-12-2007, 08:41 PM
OMG Astonh, that is SOME drive you have...I thought mine was bad going from Buda/Niederwald area to San Marcos...

I used to drive from Slaughter to 183/Burnet...forever stuck on Mopac, yuck!

I sure wish I lived in Austin again, though...it seems like I'm always driving living out here...when I visit friends I usually end up spending the night cause my drive is so long...

Glad you're doing well, LauraD...I'm a nurse, and I am the very worst patient, "...umm...what size needle are you using?...ummm...you want me to put on THAT?"

LauraD
09-12-2007, 09:34 PM
WHat is the name of the new store?

spasmo
09-12-2007, 11:24 PM
It was great meeting y'all today! It made my day. I look forward to the next time we can get together.

Abbily
09-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Laura, LOL I should have put that in my post! It's called Gauge.

phisch
09-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Awww...we should try for a get-together. That'd be fun.

I found a web site for this place: http://www.austincraftorama.com/

They say they have yarn and a lounge! I may go out tomorrow and check it out if I have time. I'm also itching to get into some sewing so the thought of yarn and fabric in one go is lovely to me. Oh...they mention they have a lounge!

LauraD
09-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Craft-o-Rama looks AWESOME!

I found a website gor Guage, not much to the site yet but it does show Grande Opening photos so you can see what the shop looks like...sort of.

Abbily
09-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Oh wow, Craft-o-rama sounds fabulous! I'm a quilter too, so I'm sure I could get into all kinds of trouble in there!

astonh
09-14-2007, 01:44 PM
OMG... Yarn AND groovy fabric? My bank account is SOOOO SCREWED! Okay, NO ONE tells the hubby where I'm going! hee hee... I want some of EVERYTHING!

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-14-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm trying to figure out where Craft-O-Rama is exactly...hmmm....

I haven't been in that area in quite a while...didn't even know there was an Amy's Ice Cream on Congress!

Sounds great...heck, I could finally learn to use that sewing machine I bought so long ago!

LauraD
09-14-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm trying to figure out where Craft-O-Rama is exactly...hmmm....

I haven't been in that area in quite a while...didn't even know there was an Amy's Ice Cream on Congress!

Sounds great...heck, I could finally learn to use that sewing machine I bought so long ago!

I said the same thing! I actually have a Janome here at my house that I can BARELY function without a jam of some sort!

phisch
09-14-2007, 06:47 PM
I bought an old Kenmore from a garage sale. After I took out and put back all the parts I could figure out, it worked fine :) Just $25 and it's a tank!

Yeah. Was I bad to post that? It's just down the street from HCW...mmmmmmm...

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-15-2007, 12:46 AM
I bought an old Kenmore from a garage sale. After I took out and put back all the parts I could figure out, it worked fine :) Just $25 and it's a tank!

Yeah. Was I bad to post that? It's just down the street from HCW...mmmmmmm...

Not at all...it's called a PUB CRAWL! Uhhh..cough, cough...I mean a KNIT CRAWL! Woot!:woohoo:

Stephig
09-15-2007, 02:26 AM
There is a group of knitters who meet a few times a week. We're all members of Meetup.com (http://knitting.meetup.com/923/)

Also, there is a new store called The Knitting Nest owned by Stacy Klaus (http://emptynestknitter.prettyposies.com/) in South Austin that is currently my favorite place to be! She encourages anyone and everyone to come in and make themselves at home. She'll be serving coffee, she has plenty of sitting space. You can browse through her knitting magazines, etc.
The Knitting Nest is on Slaughter across from Sonic near the Southpark Meadows shopping center. (It's right across the street next to the liquor store).

spasmo
09-15-2007, 08:46 AM
There is a group of knitters who meet a few times a week. We're all members of Meetup.com (http://knitting.meetup.com/923/)

Also, there is a new store called The Knitting Nest owned by Stacy Klaus (http://emptynestknitter.prettyposies.com/) in South Austin that is currently my favorite place to be! She encourages anyone and everyone to come in and make themselves at home. She'll be serving coffee, she has plenty of sitting space. You can browse through her knitting magazines, etc.
The Knitting Nest is on Slaughter across from Sonic near the Southpark Meadows shopping center. (It's right across the street next to the liquor store).

I saw this place last week after I had been knitting across the street at Sonic during my lunch break. I dont usually go this far south at lunch so driving by and seeing a sign that said "The Knitting Nest" was like some sort of divine intervention :). When I got back to work I googled and found the phone number just to see if I had hallucenated the sign. ~SQUEE~ It's real!

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Stephig!

That is SO close for me, relatively speaking (live in Buda). I think I'll run out there today...like I really need MORE yarn, haha! (I bought my BF a new mouse and router last night to make up for my excessive yarn buying this week!)

LauraD
09-16-2007, 09:29 AM
SO Martha, did you check out Knitting Nest???If it's fantastic I may run over there today myself!

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-16-2007, 01:41 PM
SO Martha, did you check out Knitting Nest???If it's fantastic I may run over there today myself!

Why yes I did! :)

I'm such a nerd, I left out yesterday at 930 (rushing out like a lunatic, actually....chanting "must buy yarn now!").

It's really excellent..I met Stacy and she's very nice...the shop is nicely set up for future classes and get togethers.

She already has quite a bit of yarn stocked...lots of Cascade 220, Elsebeth Lavold Classic AL and Silky Wool, Dale of Norway Baby Ull, Vermont Organic Yarn (I think that's the name), big skeins of Ecological Wool...etc, etc.

She had some Lion Brand and Elsebeth Lavold books along with Dale of Norway Baby design books.

I ended up buying some Cascade Superwash (first time trying this yarn!), Elsebeth Lavold Classic AL (in a nice green) and one of her Viking Knit books.

There was something called Farmhouse Yarns Andy's Merino which featured a picture of Andy, the merino sheep! He was cute, so of course I bought his wool..heehee! Very nice stuff, lots of yardage, Stacy says it knits up like the Noro Kuryeon and felts well!

All in all, I look forward to going back and just hang out drinking tea or something. Very convenient location for me..!

astonh
09-17-2007, 10:20 AM
I LOVE to sew. FINALLY broke down and bought another sewing machine as my first one I got when in Jr. High was not doing the job well anymore..probably just needs a tune-up, but my husband decided I needed a new one after all these years.

The fact that they have sergers at Craft-o-Rama was very exciting to me. If I can get a pile of stuff prepped, I'd love to go, buy one hour on that baby and ZOOOM!!! Serge the lot of things!

knitting4-2girls
09-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Wow all these places sound great for a meet. I really hope I am able to go if you guys get together again.

I have finally found a place where I belong. I thought I was the only person that had bought a sewing machine and then never used it. It's still sitting in the closet in the box!!! :)

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-20-2007, 07:10 PM
knitting 4-2 girls...I know what you mean!

I have only met 1 knitter "in real life" until I started coming here and talking to everyone, even meeting some at the yarn store! Woot!

Oh yeah, I bought a really nice Kenmore sewing machine 2 years ago thinking I'd make curtains, pillows, scrubs, etc., but ended upmaking ONE pillow and then got intimidated with the whole thing, haha!

Time to take a class (I need a sock-knitting class and a sewing class!) I think...we should all arrange to take some kind of class together at one of the lys...I'm available on weekends and Wednesdays..! :)

phisch
09-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Been kind of slow knitting-wise around here and it's getting frustrating. I want to finish something, anything!!! But we're having work done on the house so things are in total disarray. There's dust everywhere, to boot, and now I wish I never unpacked my little stash of yarn and fabric and made neat little piles in my craft room cubbies (did I mention that my husband is spoiling me by having given me a craft room?).

Things will eventually go back to normal once we get TV back and the floors are done.

I've officially driven past Knitting Nest. I didn't have the guts to go in knowing the temptation would be hard to resist. But when are you all thinking you want to go there?

It's driving me nuts, but I know I read somewhere about some event for yarn lovers that is coming up. You buy a ticket and you have a day where you can stop at about 5 LYS in the greater Austin area. The ticket entitles you to a ball of yarn at each store. If I come across it again, I"ll post.

The fact that they have sergers at Craft-o-Rama was very exciting to me. If I can get a pile of stuff prepped, I'd love to go, buy one hour on that baby and ZOOOM!!! Serge the lot of things!

Speaking spoiling, I got a new serger from Costco (cheap!). No cover stitch, but I have no idea what that is anyway so I can't miss it. I've put it to work on making cushions for my couch. They look awful but since slip covers go over them, it doesn't matter :D

Abbily
09-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Yes, we definitely need to take a class together! I'm available on weekends or during lunch on weekdays, but I can't be gone more than 1.5 hours during the week. I could do an evening class, but it would be a challenge.

Phisch, it's a knitting shop hop! Here's a link: http://www.bluebonnetyarn.com/special.html

I've never done a yarn shop hop before, but I've done quilting shop hops and they're SO much fun! :)

LauraD
09-21-2007, 01:03 PM
OMG but that is a ridiculous amount of driving!

Abbily
09-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Yeah, when I've done the quilting hops, I usually just pick a few stores to hit. :)

LauraD
09-22-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm going to Craft-O-Rama tomorrow and possibly Gauge and MAYBE the Knitting NEst for a miniLYS Crawl:-)

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-22-2007, 02:51 PM
LauraD, where is Gauge?

I hadn't heard of this store!

Abbily
09-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Laura, let us know what you think of all the stores! :)

LauraD
09-22-2007, 11:10 PM
I hear it is around the Arboretum area...here is the address.

Gauge
5406 Parkcrest Drive
Austin, TX 78731

Did anyone else watch the game??? We went to the first half and left to go hang at a friends RV and tailgate the rest of the time.

Abbily
09-23-2007, 01:23 AM
Just thought I'd post a pic of the 'Oddball Care Shawl" I just finished! Since Martha got to see it, and because I'm so proud of it! :) Everyone who knitted on it did such a great job!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/shawl001.jpg

LauraD
09-25-2007, 02:20 PM
So, I only made it to Craft-O-Rama this weekend and it's a cute little place. COnnected to Amy's Ice Cream which is dangerous! Not a ton of anything...maybe 20-30 bolts of fabric, 3 or 4 shelves worth of yarn, a corner with needles and such...5 or 6 sewing machines, 2 maybe 3 big tables to cut and measure fabric on...some shirts and bags and little knitting kits that were cute...on the check out counter are some little do-dads and some novelty knitting needles (Hello Kitty or Dice).

So it has a little of everything and the lady that was there is SUPER nice.

Sweet_Thang
09-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey everyone... a yahoo group that I am part of is having a Knit Out in Austin on 10/13/07 at the Borders at SouthPark Meadows Shopping Center.

Come out and join us!! I am driving in from Houston for the event!!
http://lonestarstateknitters.homestead.com/KnitOut.html

MarthaStarWarsFan
09-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Hey everyone... a yahoo group that I am part of is having a Knit Out in Austin on 10/13/07 at the Borders at SouthPark Meadows Shopping Center.

Sounds like fun...convenient location for me, too!

Count me in!

Ooops! Abbily! :doh:I just noticed your post, how could I miss it? What a BEAUTIFUL creation...i wish others could see it in person...very nice textures...I, being a bit too tactile, LOVE it!

LauraD
10-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Hello Austin Knitters! CHeck out what I just got in my email!

Vickie Howell will be teaching a one night only class at Craft-O-Rama on Wednesday, November 14th! She will be showing you how to make an awesome fingerless glove out of her new Vegas yarns. There are only 10 spots available, so reserve your spot today by emailing us at info@austincraftorama.com. For more information about Vickie Howell, please visit her website at www.vickiehowell.com.

phisch
10-03-2007, 09:49 PM
I got this off the Austin Freecycle Cafe mailing list. In case any of you are crafty enough to make stuff to sell, I thought I'd share:

Keri's Fairy Godmother Foundation
Is having their annual Fall Festival Fundraiser on October 28th
10am-5pm @ Woods Fun Center on IH35N, on the corner
of Braker and 35 near the Harley Davidson Store.

Were inviting 40 different vendors for you to shop from.

We will have a Moonwalk, Yummy food and treats,
Snow Cone & Cotton Candy Vendors.

Cinderella will be there to take pictures with the kiddos.

We have created a safe trick or treating environment for
your little ones so be sure to have them dress up in their costumes!

Silent Auction with tons of great stuff donated from local businesses.

local folk group 3 Townes Song will be there 12-4

We are looking for a few more vendors,
If you are interested in being a Vendor:
We have booths in the parking lot for $40 for an
approx 10X10 area and we have a few covered booths
approx. 8X8 on the front of the building with electricity for $50.

Were doing tons of advertising; radio, newspaper, web announcements,
flyers, email blasts and possibly TV (still working on it)

Were looking for local business's to be a part of our silent auction.
Were asking for goods and services to be show cased in our
silent auction to help raise funds for our Organization.
All items will be displayed at out event on October 28th.
We will display your business cards, flyers, brochures
next to your product! All donations will be posted on our
website with a direct link to your company website.
Please contact me if you would like to donate!

We are a 501 C3 non-profit Organization so your
donation is tax deductible; so be sure to ask for a receipt.

Thank you,

Hope to see ya there!

Your Fairy Godmother!
www.thefairygodmotherfoundation.com

evos524
10-09-2007, 05:02 PM

Ooooooh...I wish I could go! I'm on house arrest until this baby decides to make her grand entrance. :pout: She's due in 10 days...here's to hoping she's not in there that long! LOL Crossed Fingers

Abbily
10-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Evos, good luck with the baby thing! :) Is this your first? They say first babies are usually late, but mine was 6 days early, and her younger sister followed suit. :)

evos524
10-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Evos, good luck with the baby thing! :) Is this your first? They say first babies are usually late, but mine was 6 days early, and her younger sister followed suit. :)

Nope, this is our third! LOL Our first was 9 days late, her sister was 3 days early. I've been hoping that this little girl will be even earlier...but it's not looking that way! Thanks for the well wishes! :muah:

phisch
10-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Congrats on the baby!!!

Abbily
10-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Evos, congrats on your third! :)

LauraD
10-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Babies are wonderful!!!

Has anyone made it to the other new LYS?

Abbily
10-11-2007, 12:34 PM
They sure are! I don't want any more kids, but I sure do miss babies... luckily I have 3 month old twin Godbabies to play with. :)

I haven't made it to the new place yet- we should set up a yarn-date!

SAHMLamar
10-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Hello Austin knitters. My name is Lamar, and I'm in College Station (well Bryan, actually.) Since there is never a local group for me, I've got to introduce myself to the closest people. My MIL lives in Georgetown, and I've been to Bluebonnet a couple of times when I'm there.

I'd love to get a chance to knit with some of you when we're in town. Is anyone ever up for a weekend get together?

LauraD
10-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Always!

Abbily
10-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Lamar, absolutely! I work FT, so weekends are good for me. :)

Abbily
10-17-2007, 03:02 PM
Gauge is closed!! :( Apparently she was only open there for about a month... I tried to go today. Her stuff is still in there, so I don't know if she's going to try it again somewhere else, or what... :(

LauraD
10-17-2007, 07:38 PM
OMG! I just came online to talk about that! Apparently there was a major problem between the two owners...

I was at Hill Country Weavers today and got a little scoop from a little birdie. OH! Plus HCW is going to create knitting bags with their logo on it!

Abbily
10-18-2007, 12:37 PM
That stinks, I hope they can work it out...

Evos, if you're around, just wondering if baby came yet?

LauraD
10-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Copied from Ravelry Member Shobhana:

Karli, the owner of Gauge is one my closest friends and she has asked me to post here regarding the status of Gauge. this is OFFICIAL - Gauge will re-open on Saturday, October 27th (though she did say it could possibly be Friday, the 26th). pass it on.

LauraD
11-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Are any of you going to the Vickie Howell class?

phisch
11-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Vickie Howell class? Details please?

dianespatrick@yahoo.com
11-14-2007, 02:19 PM
There is a yarn shop in Georgetown that has a weekly group. It is held on Thur. evenings. I've never been because I am taking care of my grandson so I can't tell you anything else about it. Here is the location information: 304 W 8th St Georgetown, TX 78626 (512) 869-2182. Good luck. Wish I could go!

phisch
11-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Hmmmm...I am keeping that address in my wallet! My oldest son ended up having to play in soccer tournaments this Saturday and we have to make our way up to Georgetown I think. Maybe youngest son and I can go squeeze yarn together :D

spasmo
12-15-2007, 05:53 PM
I bet we are all busy knitting right now but I wanted to check in and wish y'all a happy holidays.

I hope you and your family have a safe and happy holiday season.
Best wishes!
AnnaB

Abbily
12-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks AnnaB!

Happy Holidays, everyone!

PrisKnits
12-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Indeed! Hope all of you have great holidays an may you each have extra knitting time, and if you don't have the extra time--make some!

LauraD
12-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Merry Christmas to you all as well!

primaknittermom
01-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Hi! I'm new the the KH forums, but wanted to say hello to my "neighbors" here. I live in the Belton/Killeen/Fort Hood area.

Jennyloves2knit
01-07-2008, 12:37 AM
I live in Austin. Is every one thinking about knitting together? That would be fun :)! I am a beginning knitter. Today, I learned how to make my first purl stitch and am working on a ribbed scarf :). Also, am going to be working on my first knitted hat. I love knitting!

PrisKnits
01-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Hi Jenny, Welcome to the knitting community. There are several groups that meet in and around Austin. There are some folks who meet at BookPeople once a month, there are others who meet at Barnes & Noble once a week (Tuesday nights) in the arboretum area, there's also the Rio Rita Draft people. I'm sure there are others. I live in Manor and I would love to have a group a little closer to me, so if there are any of you out there, please let me hear from you!
ALso, check out my blog, I'll be posting some new pics tomorrow. Right now there is a free pattern on there for a pillow I designed.

Jennyloves2knit
01-07-2008, 12:56 AM
Thanks :). I will check out the knitter who meet at Barnes & Noble. Thanks. I would love to be knitting with others. I have several knitting DVDs that I watch to continue learning to knit and also for entertainment purposes! I am amazed at how much I love to knit. I would like to check out your blog, but I am new to this site and don't know how.

PrisKnits
01-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Hi Jenny, welcome to the knitting community. There are several groups that meet in and around Austin: some go to BookPeople, others go to Barnes & Noble in the Arboretum on Tuesday nights and there's the Rio Rita Draft folks, and many others I'm sure.

I live in Manor and would love to have a group a little closer to me, so if there are any of you out there interested, please let me hear from you.

Also, I'll be posting photos of my latest project on my blog tomorrow, so please stop by and let me know what you think. I'll try to post the link for the pattern as well.

PrisKnits
01-07-2008, 01:12 AM
I reposted my first reply because I didn't think it "took." To see my blog, just click on my url in my signature below.

Jennyloves2knit
01-07-2008, 01:27 AM
I loved your blog. So many beautiful items! My favorite is your Xmas Mouse. Although, my next favorite is your blue pillow cover. I look forward to seeing your newly finished projects :) Also, I will take some pictures of my projects and try to figure out how to post them :)

Abbily
01-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Welcome, Jenny and Primaknittermom!

I have been looking for a good tea house, and discovered that Tea Embassy is starting a knitting group! Anyone up for meeting me there sometime? http://teaembassy.com/page/Tea-Embassy/CTGY/Events-Calendar

TxCynDoll
02-01-2008, 02:08 AM
Fort Hood, Killeen, Copperas Cove area...I have been knitting for many years, self taught and crochet...would love to meet some of you who are close by.

spasmo
02-01-2008, 11:30 AM
I'd love to knit with you. When are you planning on going to the Tea Embassy?

Abbily
02-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Well it looks like I missed the 'scheduled' knitting day, but I'm sure we could just go hang out and knit there and drink tea! When is good for you? (I work downtown, but don't really live near downtown... so easiest for me would probably be either a lunch hour or after work some day. What do you think?

spasmo
02-10-2008, 07:52 PM
I work downtown too and I would love to meet up some lunch time. Most any day is good for me except tuesday...

Abbily
02-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Anna, this week is kind of insane for me- my daughter's 6th birthday is today, both of my girls have valentine's parties on Thursday... Can you meet one day next week at lunch? Let me know what day works best for you!

spasmo
02-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Next week is better for me too... any day other than tuesday is great with me.

Abbily
02-12-2008, 06:04 PM
How's Friday? Will 11:30 work for you?

Anyone else want to join us at Tea Embassy?

Deenie
03-24-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm in South Austin. We have a new store called The Knitting Nest off Slaughter and it's a great place. They have meetings there on Monday nights.

I'm a newbie but found this link :)
Hope to meet up some day.:aww:

PrisKnits
03-24-2008, 05:21 PM
I've seen the Knitting Nest online, and I called the store one day to inquire about some yarn and was told they only carries wool yarn! I love wool, but I prefer to shop where other yarns are not discrimated against!

PrisKnits
03-24-2008, 05:28 PM
I meant to type they only carried wool (not carries wool) gosh, it is Monday isn't it?

bookbabe
03-27-2008, 05:56 PM
HI there
I thought I'd throw my two cents worth in --so I can keep up with happenings in the Austin area too! I'm actually far, far northwest --Leander area. I heard about a group that meets at the Lakeline Barnes and Noble?

Let's see...I'm pretty much a newbie to knitting. Only been at it about a year now but I love it!! I'm recovering from a pretty severe elbow injury and I'm not able to knit more than about 30 minutes a day. But I guess that's better than nothing!! Haven't tried anything more advanced than some basic scarves yet.

Glad to know there's so many knitters in the Austin area.
:)

spasmo
04-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Things were kind of crazy around here and they have mostly settled down now. Who knew the begging of the year would get so wonky? Anyways... I'd love to meet up with y'all and knit. Knitting has been a solitary hobby for me and I'd love to be more social. I work downtown and live out in Bastrop so knitting at lunch (or right after work) would probably work the best for me since I don't drive into Austin much on the weekends. Is anyone interested to a knitting lunch?

Abbily
04-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Anna, I'd love to try a knitting lunch. :) I never did make it to Tea Embassy... you're right about the beginning of the year being completely insane! Of course, that seems to be the general order for me these days...

spasmo
04-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Cool beans! I know what you mean about crazy seems to be the general order of the day... we were talking about this at work today and I think that being able to navigate crazy seems to be a big job requirement for me. Tuesdays are never good for me, and next week the only other thing I have planned during the lunch hour is on Wednesday. So... are you available for a knitting lunch on Monday, Thursday or Friday?
Does anyone else want to join us?

Abbily
04-09-2008, 10:46 AM
I usually go to Curves on my lunch hour MWF, so how about Thursday? What time is good for you? And where are we going?

spasmo
04-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Next thursday sounds great to me. I can get away whenever between 11 and 2. Do you want to try the tea room? Does anyone else want to join us?

I'm excited!

Abbily
04-10-2008, 08:54 AM
OK, how's 11:30 at the Tea Embassy? Sounds wonderful, I can't wait! I hope more of us will come. :)

spasmo
04-10-2008, 05:29 PM
~~SQUEE!!~~

This sounds great to me! Y'all come and join us... we're going to have lots of fun.

Abbily
04-11-2008, 09:28 AM
WHY does this always happen to me?! Are you available Friday instead of Thursday? I just found out my sister is coming down here from MO to go to some sort of legal proceeding to adopt a baby, and they want family members to come along as character witnesses for her. The proceeding is Thursday in Lexington (an hour from here) and will probably take most of the day. :P

spasmo
04-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Moving this to Friday is no problem at all. In fact it works great for me. You've got big things to do Thursday and I'm really happy for your sister.

Have a great weekend!

Abbily
04-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks! Great, I'll put it on my Friday calendar! :)

labeelady
05-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Martha and others,
I spent a few days last week with my sister in Buda! Wish I'd known there were knitters there or I would have looked you up!

However, we did discover that there is a new knitting shop in Buda now, namely the Yellow Sweater, owned by Amy Crockett.
It's behind the Carrington House. Hours are Wed - Sunday, open on Tues by appt only.

On Sundays it's open from 1-5 PM.

Abbily
05-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Anyone going to see the Yarn Harlot tomorrow night? I'd love to have a friend to sit with! :)

LauriSATX
07-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Hey everybody! I'm in North San Antonio, and I love Austin (was born there!) so I head over there a lot on weekends just because..... I would love to meet up with any knitters in SA, Schertz, New Braunfels, San Marcos, Buda, Kyle, etc...sometime! Weekends are good, Friday evenings are good (because my husband gets off work at 3:00 on Fridays so he would be home for the kids), and even weekdays from around 10:00 until 1:30 or 2:00 would be great (when the kids are in school) depending on where we meet. I don't mind driving farther on weekends, but if we could meet somewhere between SA and Austin during the week that would be great!

Let me know if anyone is ever interested!
Lauri

Abbily
07-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi, Lauri! I was born in Austin, too! :) I don't get south of Austin much, but went to college in SA so I get down that way occasionally. Mostly just wanted to say "Welcome!" Let me know if you ever head into Austin. :)

KnittinMitchie
08-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Are there any good yarn shops in Austin say around 6th street? I'm planning a visit to Austin to hang with a friend and wanted to take him yarn crawling ROFL

DaveB
08-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Hill Country Weavers is about a mile south on Congress. That is the only yarn store I know near downtown.

http://www.hillcountryweavers.com/

Abbily
08-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Christine, be careful on 6th street, it's gotten a little scary in recent years. There's a yarn shop a little north of downtown called Gauge. http://www.gaugeknit.com/