PDA

View Full Version : OT - homemade cleaning products

ctmax
02-27-2007, 07:17 PM
I've decided to start making my own cleaning products. If anyone else does this I would love to hear what recipies you use. I have a mulitpurpose cleaner that has borax, wash soda, viniger, and water in it and it works really well. I feel better using it around my children rather than the stuff you buy. :D

♠The Mod Squad was here :thumbsup:
Added "OT" to account for off topic discussion.

kath77
02-27-2007, 07:51 PM
I find that soda crystals for work for most things - they're fantastic, and so much cheaper than fancy sprays etc.

newamy
02-27-2007, 10:33 PM
I clean my laminate floor and counter tops with vinegar and water. Once in awhile I need something stronger to really remove something sticky, but mostly this works really well.

ctmax
02-28-2007, 01:07 AM
so do you mix the vinegar and water half and half?

brownishcoat
02-28-2007, 10:36 AM
I mixed 16 oz. of half water/half vinegar and sprayed it on the walls of my shower. Then I took a sponge and put baking soda on it and scrubbed the walls of the shower with that. I can't believe how quickly it got most of the gunk off. And it didn't leave any lingering smell in the bathroom.

MoniDew
02-28-2007, 02:30 PM
yes, I do this too. Half & Half, vinegar and water. I also add essential oils to deter pests and disinfect. I use a few drops each of peppermint, lavender, and tea tree oil. Clove is also disinfectant.

I agree with you about limiting your exposure to strong chemicals. I refuse to use chemically based products for personal grooming or household cleaning. Natural stuff works BETTER, and is non-toxic.
________
White widow seeds (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

Kirochka
02-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Great thread! I use only natural stuff too - was getting mineral residue off our sinks the other day with vinegar. Thanks for the tips on what else to use!

Doublereeder2
03-01-2007, 10:51 AM
This isn't natural but it is a great glass cleaner:

1/2 cup sudsy ammonia
1 pint rubbing alcohol
1 teaspoon dishwashing detergent

Add water to make 1 gallon.

niffer
03-01-2007, 02:31 PM
I refuse to use chemically based products for personal grooming or household cleaning. Natural stuff works BETTER, and is non-toxic.

MoniDew - I'm really interest to hear what you use for personal grooming, if you don't mind sharing.
I've been looking into making my own shampoo and deoderant, but it always starts with a chemical product, like a cheap baby shampoo.

For cleaning house, I use lemon juice, vinegar and baking soda, along with a bit of elbow grease.

For polishing furniture I've been told that natural beeswax is a good product - but I can't find where to buy it so I can't really comment on it myself.
:hug:

Nikki
03-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Since I found microfiber towels my new and favorite cleaning solution is water. If something is horribly filthy I use warm water. :teehee: Try a quick wipe down of the shower with one after your shower, amazing. Oh and Mr. Clean magic erasers....and water of course.

MoniDew
03-01-2007, 09:42 PM
MoniDew - I'm really interest to hear what you use for personal grooming, if you don't mind sharing.
I've been looking into making my own shampoo and deoderant, but it always starts with a chemical product, like a cheap baby shampoo.

Hey, Niffer! Thanks for asking. Rather than PM you with a response, I thought I'd post it, so anyone else with the same question could get the answer, as well. Here goes:

I haven't come to the stage of making my own personal grooming products, yet. :teehee: I just use the "cleanest" ones from the healthfood store. Even then, many "natural" products contain ingredients that are FAR from natural. I make selections based on ingredients.

For example: use deodorants which do not contain aluminum (which is so poisonous that the pores close to keep it out of the body, and therefore you do not perspire because your pores are closed up too tight.) Rather, choose those which deodorize with essential oils, like tea tree - an antimicrobial that kills the germs that cause odor. Never stop your body's natural detoxification processes. Perspiring detoxifies the lymphatic system. You want that stuff OUT of your body - you just don't want it to SMELL. Nature's Gate Organics makes my personal fav.

Use shampoos and conditioners which are free of sodium laurel sulfate (or sodium laureth sulfate,) which are sudsing agents, but sulfites are carcenogenic (cancer causing.) Naturally derived ingredients - from coconut, for example - can serve the same purpose. Avalon Organics, Nature's Gate Organics, and Jason are good brands.

Use toothpastes which are free of propolene glycol (used in anything with a gel consistency). Glycols build up in the liver over time, promoting a toxic liver. Paste toothpastes are safer in general - Jason is a good brand. Avoid fluoride - it is one of the most poisonous substances to we are regularly exposed. Teeth are hard from mineral content, not poison content. EAT THOSE GREEN VEGGIES, you'll never have to worry about having hard teeth or bones.

Here is a link to a great Organic personal grooming supply manufacturer. It is their top 10 synthetic ingredients to avoid list.
http://www.aubrey-organics.com/about/treat_10synth.cfm

Hope that answers your question. :heart:
________
Honda RA099 specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_RA099)

Limey
03-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Sorry, I can't help with the personal products bit but I do have an easy way of cleaning the microwave.

Pour hot water into a microwavable bowl, mix in a drop of washing-up liquid and a dollop of lemon juice.

Put the bowl in the microwave and zap in on 'High' for a couple of minutes.

The steam softens any grease/oil and the lemon juice gets rid of powerful pongs (my hubby is forever heating up curries and that doesn't mix too well with my morning breakfast porridge - if there's one thing I hate, it's vindaloo-flavoured oats - yuch and double yuch!).

Limey

mrs desert rain
03-02-2007, 05:11 PM
I make my own cleaning solutions. Doing so is super easy, inexpensive, and much, much healthier. I have info on Vinegar (http://mrsdesertrain.blogspot.com/2007/01/many-uses-of-vinegar-cleaning.html) and a Scrubby cleaner (http://mrsdesertrain.blogspot.com/2006/04/scrub-dub-dub-natural-way.html).

I'm working on a couple of posts regarding homemade shampoo and body washes... I'll TRY to have them up this weekend, complete with yummy recipes. :)

hope this helps!