PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a ball winder?

madametj
02-27-2007, 08:35 PM
I just got mine, and i really like it, but i was just wondering, do most knitters have one of these and it didn't know it? :?? I remember when i first saw people on this forum talking about ball winders i laughed at them. i was like "they'll spend their money on anything won't they?" then i saw the how lovely the center-pull balls turn out. u can guess from there i suppose :teehee:

Oh and another question also: when u have those huge 400 yd skeins, do u usually wind on big ball out of it, or do u wind it into 2-4 smaller balls instead?

lissalue
02-27-2007, 08:37 PM
i don't have one, but i want one. anyone got a spare they wanna give me? :shrug: :teehee:

Jax3303
02-27-2007, 08:59 PM
I have a ball winder, and I love it. I do not have a swift, and don't need one, but I still want one. I don't need one because I discovered that I have a round laundry basket that most of my hanks fit around of perfectly (when the basket is upside down). I just set the basket on the floor upside down near my ball winder, put my hank around it, and wind my yarn.

Silver
02-27-2007, 09:03 PM
I have both, AND a yard meter... all of which are necessities when you spin your own yarns. :D

Oh, and I'll wind as much as physically possible into one ball before I'll cut the yarn.

PCwombat
02-27-2007, 09:06 PM
Yup, I just got my ball winder too! I love it. I'm thinking the next time I'm home, I'll talk my dad into making one of those do-it-yourself swifts online. :teehee:

DreamWeaver
02-27-2007, 10:18 PM
I am lucky enough to have a ball winder and a swift, and I LOVE them both. My stash it now so much more organized and junk :cheering:

By the way, we will spend our money on anything knitting related. But you are one of us now, so you spend your money on anything knitting related too :thumbsup: Welcome!

EssenceRose
02-27-2007, 10:29 PM
I don't have one. I do kind of want one, but up until now I just only buy balls of yarn and nothing bigger so I don't have to wind them myself. As for spinning my own... I don't. I live in NZ, so I suppose I don't really have to... we have so many sheep farms around that anybody can go and do it for me much cheaper and better than I can do it myself.

And I've made a pact with myself not to buy any more yarn at all until I've used up the stash I already have.... so I won't need one for a while. LOL

Stiney
02-27-2007, 10:32 PM
No, but I want a swift!

zkimom
02-27-2007, 10:33 PM
No, but my mom has one and I am coveting it!

losnana
02-27-2007, 10:35 PM
I just ordered one over the weekend and am anxiously awaiting it.

Knitting_Guy
02-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Nah, I wind by hand.

Petals
02-27-2007, 11:22 PM
I have a ball winder and a swift. I really didn't think I needed either. I got the winder first from JoAnn's and was disappointed because the arm wouldn't stay locked in position and I should have sent it back right then but hate doing that and did get it 50% off. One yr. later-----I took the thing apart, tweaked it and seems to stay in the lock position better.

The swift , I added this right after Xmas and love. But, check prices before buying--I bought mine at a LYS for around $65. Now I see them a lot of places a lot less expensive--say around $35. :verysad:

So the moral to this story--shop before you buy!!

ecb
02-27-2007, 11:31 PM
have a swift from my MOST lovely middle daughter (for christmas, as the only thing I asked for) and a THUMB

hear me roar
wind (CP Balls of course)
etc

humblestumble
02-27-2007, 11:43 PM
I wind by hand, but it sure is a PAIN IN THE BUTT. I really want a ball winder. Some day I will get one. I have pets, you know, and they like "making biscuits" and chewing on my yarn.

aylaanne
02-27-2007, 11:59 PM
I just got my ballwinder and I love it!!!!! I rewind yarn just so I can play with it.

momwolf
02-28-2007, 12:40 AM
The Oregon Woodworker (http://wood.charlestree.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=3a7f80df395c6ffe135e150c6a835df9) I just got my new Royal ball winder from here.The cheapest price I have seen.This Royal is GREAT. :happydance: The last ball winder I had broke :!!!: This yarn arm stays locked in and it doesn't wiggle around when I attach it to the table.I would recommend the Royal if you are looking to buy a ball winder.I had my hubby make me a swifter :cheering: I rewind all my skeins of yarn because the center pulls are always screwed up :wall: :!!!:

Mod Squad was here (link shortened)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-28-2007, 02:07 AM
I have both.

I *really* want an electric winder. DH tried to motorize mine last year and I ended up with a pile of plastic :help: (I got a new one though).

jolenel
02-28-2007, 04:02 AM
I don't have either and don't plan to buy either. When I'm not as busy with work, I'm definitely going to make myself a swift, and maybe a ball winder too.

horve1
02-28-2007, 08:19 AM
I got mine about 2 months ago, but haven't used them yet - believe it or not!

horve1
02-28-2007, 08:19 AM
I got mine about 2 months ago, but haven't used them yet - believe it or not!

melissaatk
02-28-2007, 08:54 AM
I have a ball winder and a homemade swift. I would love to get a yard meter too.

brownishcoat
02-28-2007, 10:33 AM
I have a ballwinder, but I don't rewind skeins unless I am splitting it to make a pair of socks.

I want a swift because I have some yarn a friend game me that is kind of smelly and I'd like to wash it first. I wrapped my own hank using my computer chair, but I had a hard time winding it after washing. I'd also like to see if regular Red Heart Super Saver is softer to knit with after a good wash with fabric softener. :teehee:

My best friend said buying the $37 swift from Schoolhouse Press would be cheaper than making one, if you count the time spent as part of the cost. I'll probably end up with that one eventually.

Jennie8
02-28-2007, 10:38 AM
I recently purchased my winder from joanns.com and used one of the 50% off coupons so it was only $25, and I really love it. I got kind crazy with the winding. I find it really fun, am I silly? eh, oh well, nice pretty balls...I really don't need a swift yet, but I want one especially if I keep getting the fancy indie sock yarns that all come in skeins/hanks.

KathyinCali
02-28-2007, 12:45 PM
I don't have either and so far I haven't had the need for them. I don't buy yarn over the internet (I'm a must touch-feel-see kind of person) and I've never been to a yarn store that didn't wind it for me any way I like :shrug:

bip
02-28-2007, 06:22 PM
I have both. I use the winder all the time, but have never used the swift. Somehow ever since I got the swift, all the yarn I've bought has come as a skein. Before that it seemed all my yarn came in hanks. Figures!

madametj
02-28-2007, 11:52 PM
I have both, AND a yard meter... all of which are necessities when you spin your own yarns. :D

Oh, and I'll wind as much as physically possible into one ball before I'll cut the yarn.

I went a little overboard and try to do more that what was "physically possible" and ended up get my yarn stuck in the gears. ~sigh~ i only lost about a yard or yarn though. ;)

No, but I want a swift!

why would you need a swift if u don't have a ball winder? :??

Stiney
02-28-2007, 11:55 PM
I don't rewind yarn if it's in a skein or a ball. Only if it's in a hank. And I have never managed to unwind a hank without tangling it.

Actually, I would probably wind up paying loads of money for a swift, manage to tangle the yarn while I was winding it, and get mad and never use it again. :rofl:

I actually don't really like center pull balls all that much, and I don't mind hand winding balls, so I'll just hope for a swift.

Shandeh
03-01-2007, 02:46 PM
I have a winder and a vintage "travel" swift. I bought them both on ebay. The winder for about 20 dollars, the swift for about 2 dollars. (I got lucky, I guess.)

Here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVSFYAJWEgo) of me using both of them to wind some Malabrigo.
(I go slowly at first, then it builds up some speed just before I stop to turn off the camera.)

nadja la claire
03-01-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't have one and I'm very JEALOUS of the 32% of you who have a winder and a swift. One day soon I'll have my winder and swift. I must, I must have them. :gah: :teehee:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

madametj
03-01-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't have one and I'm very JEALOUS of the 32% of you who have a winder and a swift. One day soon I'll have my winder and swift. I must, I must have them. :gah: :teehee:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

well, as far as yes's and no's go, its almost a 50-50 spilt. at least you have 45% as company (for now at least :teehee:)

Leeseebat
03-01-2007, 10:39 PM
lol! when i first read this all i thought of was my dad sitting in his chair balling all my moms yarn! he was very good at it and a great sport about it.

MoniDew
03-01-2007, 10:58 PM
lol! when i first read this all i thought of was my dad sitting in his chair balling all my moms yarn! he was very good at it and a great sport about it.

Oh, yes! My husband is the best yarn holder in the world! He is SUCH a great sport about it! It brings me to tears to think how lovely he is about it. He tells me how proud he is of me, how much he likes my projects, what colors he wants in his sweater *wink* *wink* etc. He is very supportive.

I would never trade my ball winder for anything on earth! :heart:
________
VOLVO B18 ENGINE HISTORY (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Volvo_B18_engine)

Webigail
03-01-2007, 11:39 PM
I just got mine about a week ago. I never knew there was such a gadget until I was in my LYS and saw it in action.

I was fortunate enough to catch it on sale as Joann's for %50 off. I cannot believe how much I have used it already. In fact, I have completely rewound brand new skeins, just to use the center pull!

Rorshach
03-01-2007, 11:40 PM
I love my ball winder, though with Big skeins, I generally split it into smaller balls. Though I would like to get a yardage meter, purely from the fact that when I knit socks and still have (I think) enough left over to make more, I would rather know for sure. And the other reason is I'll buy almost anything, as long as I know what it does.

Webigail
03-01-2007, 11:45 PM
I love my ball winder, though with Big skeins, I generally split it into smaller balls. Though I would like to get a yardage meter, purely from the fact that when I knit socks and still have (I think) enough left over to make more, I would rather know for sure. And the other reason is I'll buy almost anything, as long as I know what it does.
Note to self:

That's the next knitting gadget to look for xxx

landolphe
03-01-2007, 11:55 PM
Yes, I have both, but only because I spin.

Landolphe

Phaedra
03-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I recently got a ball winder as a gift, and though I want a swift, I use an idea I saw on the internet: a lamp. I remove the knob at the top of the shade, place the hank around the shade, attach to the winder and begin to wind. I found as I am nearing the end of the hank, it becomes wide enough to slip off the shade: I place a hand as a guide (like a u-shape) to hold the hank out a little and keep winding. And yes, I unplug the lamp first! :teehee:

Stiney
03-03-2007, 12:45 PM
I recently got a ball winder as a gift, and though I want a swift, I use an idea I saw on the internet: a lamp. I remove the knob at the top of the shade, place the hank around the shade, attach to the winder and begin to wind. I found as I am nearing the end of the hank, it becomes wide enough to slip off the shade: I place a hand as a guide (like a u-shape) to hold the hank out a little and keep winding. And yes, I unplug the lamp first! :teehee:

I would love to do this. But we have one stand lamp with a glass bowl that faces up, one super skinny lamp shade, a small square lamp shade, and two that go straight up and down. And that's it. :teehee:

Petals
03-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Phaedra, very inventive! :teehee:

madametj
03-04-2007, 05:03 PM
hmm, a lamp...that may come it handy in the future!