PDA

View Full Version : how long?

syndactylus
02-27-2007, 10:38 PM
how long did you have to knit before you had something that looked perfect?

HeatherFeather
02-27-2007, 10:47 PM
my thinking is this...if I want something that is perfect, I'll go and buy something machine knit.

If I want something made with love for someone, imperfections and all, even if that someone is me...I'll take the time with it by hand.

ALLLL of my projects aren't perfect. I think every single one of my projects have mistakes. Some more than others of course.

The Amish on purpose put a block obviously upside down in the quilts. They do this because "Only God is perfect".

Don't worry about perfection, worry about learning the craft, making the best you can, and with practice, things will come along. It isn't a race. :) :heart: :heart: :heart:

madametj
02-27-2007, 10:54 PM
still waiting.....:teehee:

Nikki
02-27-2007, 10:58 PM
my thinking is this...if I want something that is perfect, I'll go and buy something machine knit.

Amen. I have seen perfectly hand knit items, but I've never made any.

Birdy
02-27-2007, 11:04 PM
3 years.

Mind you, it took me about 2 years to complete the sweater because of my "perfect" obsession.

And I don't like it.

Ingrid
02-27-2007, 11:16 PM
I've yet to make something 'perfect.' :shrug:

Jan in CA
02-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Perfect? What's that?? :??

:teehee:

Knitting_Guy
02-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Perfect...I've heard of that.

DianaM
02-27-2007, 11:23 PM
If I was meant to knit something perfect, I'd probably quit knitting for good :pout:

humblestumble
02-27-2007, 11:45 PM
2 years just about :D I am knitting something right now that looks VERY neat tension wise. I am feeling so gleeful about it. I looked at the purl side the other day (it's stockinette) and I was dumbfounded at my own even tension.

suzeeq
02-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Perfect doesn't happen. But you get to a point where your knitting looks good when you get there.

sue

DQ
02-28-2007, 06:49 AM
I looked at the scarf I was knitting last night and discovered a perfect hole in it! :?? :teehee:

SandraEllen
02-28-2007, 08:55 AM
I looked at the scarf I was knitting last night and discovered a perfect hole in it! :?? :teehee:

:roflhard: I've been knitting about 2 years and still find those

Silver
02-28-2007, 08:56 AM
I have a few knitted items that don't have any mistakes in them, but only because I never noticed them or I'm just in denial. Everything else has a least one... uh... "custom feature that adds character".

Don't be too critical of your own work. If you are, you'll spend way too much time frogging and getting frustrated. Knitting is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable and it can only truly be that if you're willing to forgive a mistake here and there. We ALL have them.

Except Ingrid. I think she's lying about her mistakes. :teehee:

Carla1019
02-28-2007, 09:27 AM
I have been knitting for about 2 years, I will let you know when I finish something perfect.

I might be 3 licks to the center of the toostle roll pop. So I say 3 years. :doh:

Carla1019
02-28-2007, 09:28 AM
I have been knitting for about 2 years, I will let you know when I finish something perfect.

I might be 3 licks to the center of the toostle roll pop. So I say 3 years.

Carla1019
02-28-2007, 09:29 AM

I think since it takes 3 licks to the center of the toostle roll pop. So I say 3 years. :teehee:

Carla1019
02-28-2007, 09:29 AM

Brrlracinbt
02-28-2007, 10:21 AM
I have been knitting for 10 years, and have had some nice looking pieces but I don't think they are perfect. I don't really want perfect anyway. I want something that looks nice and neat but you can tell it was handmade.

loveswildflowers
02-28-2007, 06:23 PM
I've been a knitter for about 15 months and I haven't had a perfect project yet. I usually find my "design features" right after I cast off!! :rofl:

bip
02-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Finishing an object gives me such a high, I usually think it's perfect even though I point out all the mistakes to anyone who will listen. An FO only a mother could love, I guess :) (but most people go along with me and pretend whatever I just finished is the best thing since sliced bread).

nadja la claire
02-28-2007, 06:37 PM

If I want something made with love for someone, imperfections and all, even if that someone is me...I'll take the time with it by hand.

ALLLL of my projects aren't perfect. I think every single one of my projects have mistakes. Some more than others of course.

The Amish on purpose put a block obviously upside down in the quilts. They do this because "Only God is perfect".

Don't worry about perfection, worry about learning the craft, making the best you can, and with practice, things will come along. It isn't a race. :) :heart: :heart: :heart:

Muslim rug makers do the same thing for the same reason. I've been knitting for 2 yrs. and I haven't made anything that's perfect but my mistakes have become less visible to everyone but me.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

syndactylus
02-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Finishing an object gives me such a high, I usually think it's perfect even though I point out all the mistakes to anyone who will listen. An FO only a mother could love, I guess :) (but most people go along with me and pretend whatever I just finished is the best thing since sliced bread).

:yay:

I am kind of like that too but if it doesn't get out of my sight fast enough it's doomed.

thanks for all the answers, I was encouraged by finally finishing my sweater, but then I noticed the sleeves still look a little weird around the shoulder seams, then I read how I did it all backwards in VK that finally came in at the library after I was already done, and then I was looking at everyone's blogs ... and then I looked at my uneven stitches again... and I started to feel a lot less proud of myself. :roll: mainly I would like someday to achieve even stitches. that's all I want.

but now back to swatching!

Ingrid
02-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Except Ingrid. I think she's lying about her mistakes. :teehee:

Au contraire, Silver! I just hide them well. :wink:

Sknitter56
02-28-2007, 07:53 PM
I've been knitting almost 30 years (ugh!!...am I THAT OLD???) and have yet to complete anything that was perfect. I agree with everyone. Flaws and mistakes only make it more personal and special. Do not think your knitting has to be perfect...you'll be terribly disappointed and won't enjoy the art of working with your hands and producing something lovely. If a mistake happens and you're able to fix it, then by all means, do so. But if you see something way down in your project, and fixing it would be a major endeavor, just let it go. It won't be the end of the world. Have fun!!