PDA

View Full Version : Irrational Fear of Felting--Update...I did it!!!!

IrishKnitter
02-28-2007, 12:50 AM
Hi all,

I have a booga bag that I've knit, and it is waiting to be felted. Actually, it's been waiting since September!! As you can tell by the subject line, I have this unnatural fear of felting. I've never done it before, and I'm afraid of "messing it up." :oops:

I've read posts and articles online about felting, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any other excellent tips they'd like to share? Hopefully this will inspire me to felt the bag!

Ironically, today's Knitty Gritty was about felting...coincidence?? :shrug: :teehee:

hunterjenn
02-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Mmmm...nothing probably that hasn't already been posted here. Hot water, low water level, throw in a few towels/jeans, put it in a pillowcase and check it every few minutes. Actually, it's SUPER fun!! Good luck! :happydance:

Jan in CA
02-28-2007, 01:51 AM
You really can't hurt it. Just do as the previous reply said with hot water/low level, jeans and pillow case or lingerie bag plus a tiny bit of detergent and then check it every 5-10 min. When it looks they way you want it to let it finish the cycle and then block it over a cereal box or something that will give it a good shape and let dry! ;) :heart:

SandraEllen
02-28-2007, 08:20 AM
You should do it! Have fun!

Oh yeah. It'll smell like wet sheepies when you're done. :ick:

Silver
02-28-2007, 08:47 AM
I think it's normal to be a little hesitant but let me tell you that once you see the magic that is felting, there will be no stopping you! :)

stitchwitch
02-28-2007, 11:00 AM
The first time you felt it can be a little unsettling since you just spent hours on something that you are basically giving up to chance (or so it seems). Once you felt something you will love it, I'm addicted to felting and have made a bunch of felted items. Just make sure to check it often to get the results you want, otherwise have fun and enjoy your new purse! :cheering:

Louine
02-28-2007, 11:31 AM
I have felted many times and Love to felt but I would caution you on one point...different yarns felt differently, hot water setting vary.....check your felting often so you can stop the process when you want.

brendajos
02-28-2007, 11:42 AM

oooh i love that smell! i don't know why... i can't explain it... but i love it! :heart:

brendajos
02-28-2007, 11:43 AM

oooh i love that smell! i don't know why... i can't explain it... but i love it! :heart:

Louine
02-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I have felted many times and Love to felt but I would caution you on one point...different yarns felt differently, hot water setting vary.....check your felting often so you can stop the process when you want.

samm
02-28-2007, 02:15 PM
Don't be afraid, friend. Felting isn't difficult, and truly the only thing you can do wrong is felt the item smaller than you intended. I set my washer to hot water, small load, hightest agitation level. I put in a pair or two of jeans, and my project which is in a lingerie bag. I put the washer setting for fifteen minutes wash time. I take my little timer into the family room with me, set for five minutes. I check when it goes off, that the project is felting, and it always is, and decide if it needs to go longer. It always has so far. Then I set my timer for five more minutes, and go watch tv or whatever. Knit and watch tv usually. Timer buzzes and I check my item. Look that the stitches are disappearing, felting! If you are happy with the size then stop. I usually go about fifteen minutes, although a pair of mittens I made this year took about ten. During this last few minutes it is good to wait by the machine, checking size every couple of minutes. Not so serious with a Booga, but mittens have to fit!!! Once the felted item is the right size and the stitches are not evident, then I usually remove it, rinse it in cold water and roll it in a towel. Then I arrange it on my sweater drying screen tugging it into shape if necessary, and then let it dry. It does take a long while to dry unless you put it on top of the dehumidifier! I know how you feel. I was nervous the first time that all that knitting of those giant mittens was going to be ruined. But it wasn't and your Booga will be wonderful!!!! Have fun with it! It is fascinating! samm

newamy
02-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Well when I felted my booga bag I followed direction in an article at Knitty.com. Perhaps you have read it.

But here is the main point- unless you felt it you won't have a booga bag- so take the plunge!!

Kirochka
02-28-2007, 03:48 PM
My big fear of felting was that since I have a front-loading washer, all those dire warnings about not possibly being able to felt in a front loader would be true. They weren't. I've made a Booga bag and a pair of FT clogs so far, and they felted fine. And after checking the clogs several times during the first cycle, I just gave up and let them go - and it took several cycles, but it worked out.

So basically I got over my fear of felting by ignoring most of what I'd read about it. :shrug:

ecb
02-28-2007, 09:12 PM
I LOVE felting now
its still a bit scarey
but I love seeing the wonderful finished product

ecb

IrishKnitter
03-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom!!

I think I've been inspired. I was finishing up my i-cord tonight while watching Lost. :teehee:

Hopefully I'll feel brave enough to felt it this weekend!

Braden
03-01-2007, 03:28 PM
I know how you feel, I don't like to felt either. The only thing I've felted is a pair of Fiber Trend Felted Clogs. It just seems like ruining knitting to me. :shrug:

samm
03-01-2007, 08:12 PM
We will all be waiting to hear all about it! And to see a picture of your Booga all felted!!!!! I know you can do it! Here's a hand to hold if you need it...... :hug: samm

IrishKnitter
03-04-2007, 10:52 PM
I did it!!! :cheering: You all inspired me...I took a deep breath, and threw caution to the wind! Er...threw my booga in the washer. :teehee:

I can't wait for it to dry!!!!

And the SMELL! :ick: I'm glad I was warned! I just kept thinking--it really does smell like "wet sheepies!"

letah75
03-04-2007, 11:02 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

That looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats! You did a great job. Now....seriously....you can't wait to felt again can you?

Felting is like tattoos, addicting! :teehee:

Jan in CA
03-04-2007, 11:07 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

brendajos
03-04-2007, 11:37 PM
lol i know i am weird but i LOVE the smell of felted yarn...It is almost like there is a feeling that all is right in the world when I can smell the sheep.

(Kinda like in the spring when I am going to visit mom and i can smell the freshly turned soil of the farms. *sigh* perfect!) :heart:

IrishKnitter
03-05-2007, 01:21 AM
Kinda like in the spring when I am going to visit mom and i can smell the freshly turned soil of the farms. *sigh* perfect!) :heart:

Well brendajos, when you put it like that, it *does* sound perfect!!!! :inlove:

I guess it was the smell in my teeny tiny laundry room on a dreary winter day...it didn't inspire me. :teehee:

I think I need to be more imaginative. :)

hunterjenn
03-05-2007, 01:36 AM
Yay! I knew you could do it. :) I like the blue-on-blue stripe--cute idea!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-05-2007, 07:51 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

auburnchick
03-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Your tale has inspired me! When I make my booga bag, I won't wait to felt it!!

GREAT job! :cheering:

kemp
03-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Looks great! To help with the smell I always add about a tablespoon of scented fabric softener to the water...downy has a great one...lavendar and vanilla, yum!

hunterjenn
03-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Looks great! To help with the smell I always add about a tablespoon of scented fabric softener to the water...downy has a great one...lavendar and vanilla, yum!

Hey, me too--and I use that exact one!!

KathyinCali
03-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Looks great! I want to make one soon:)

samm
03-05-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm veeerrrrry proud of you!!!! And the booga looks lovely. It is my fave colour! Good job! :cheering: What are you going to felt next??? :teehee: samm

IrishKnitter
03-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!

What are you going to felt next??? :teehee:

I'm not sure!! But I'm excited to felt something!! So is this what it's like? Being a "real" knitter, I mean. I've got all these projects in mind and not enough time to do them. Silly work keeps getting in the way of all my fun. :teehee: