PDA

View Full Version : That's just too twisted: remedy for overspun yarn?

janelanespaintbrush
02-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi all! I've got some overspun yarn that I can't return, and am looking for a non-time-intensive way to correct it. Although I'm tempted to just knit with it as is, it's pretty bad -- if I pull out a bit and let it relax, it actually kinks up on itself. I've already wound it from hank to ball, and was thinking that if I re-wind it starting from the outside end, I might be able to undo some of the twist as the yarn spirals off of the skein. What do you think? Has anyone done anything like this before, or know of a better way to deal with this problem? I don't want my fabric to be biased. TIA!

Braden
04-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Hmmm, I don't know of any other way than to dangle your work in midair and let it untwist every few stitches/rows, and that IS time consuming. (ask me how I know)

ChroniclesofYarnia
04-09-2007, 01:51 AM
Is it in skeins? Is it plyed?

If it is in single ply skeins, what I do is weigh a grocery bag down with a soup can, leave the yarn to soak in water for at least an hour, and then hang it up over a coat hanger and weight the skein down to dry.

If it is plyed and doing that then someone did a poor job of spinning. You can still try the same technique and see if it rights itself. It really depends on how overspun it is.

If all else fails put it in the buy/sell forum and let someone with a wheel buy it. If you have a wheel those things are generally easy, with a bit of time spent, to fix.

Good luck to ya. Let us know how it goes. :)

Silver
04-09-2007, 06:43 AM
If you have a ball winder, run it through several times, spinning it the opposite way it is twisted. A few times and it will untwist the yarn a fair bit.

I know because I have accidentally over twisted a yarn by winding and rewinding while testing my yarn meter. lol

janelanespaintbrush
04-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Thanks, guys! :muah: