PDA

View Full Version : KH Monthly Challenge--March

Pages : 1 [2]

heykaren
03-12-2007, 06:30 PM
OK; just tried it and when you knit the slipped stitch and the stitch from the other needle, theyre on the wrong needle.

I might need to sleep on this one.... Karen

Friskums
03-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Ah, gotcha.

Well, here's another resource to look at. Maybe it will be helpful.
SSK (http://erica-lee.org/knit/ssk.html)

Friskums
03-12-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm assuming you're on the knit side, correct? Or are you on the purl side?

The stitch should end up on the right hand needle and is the last one you work, then turn, purl back(or knit), turn repeat...

(I also found some more ssk pictures:
1 (http://www.myknitting.com/instruction/instructionalArticle.asp?iaid=16)
2 (http://alison.knitsmiths.us/htdec.html) )

heykaren
03-12-2007, 06:51 PM
THanks a bunch Friskums! Those pix and explanations look great. I think part of my problem is that I am lefthanded and have learned to knit continental, so most of the time I have to think of the directions in reverse - for example, if the stitches should be on the right needle, mine are on the left etc. That takes me a bit of time to figure out.

Im going to leave it for now - its almost midnight here and Im tired. Will give it a whirl again tomorrow. Thanks for all your help - really! Karen

Friskums
03-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Ahhhh.. So sorry!! I hadn't realized you were doing it lefthanded. :oops:

I'd probably use the links and reverse the pictures, like you were saying. That'll probably work better.

Good luck with it tomorrow! :hug:

suzeeq
03-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Yes, it makes sense, but it sounds nothing like what theyve written in the directions. So the "SSK" is kinda like a k2tog? Karen

BTW - thanks! :muah:

SSK is more similar to sl 1, k1, psso. They slant toward the left while k2tog slants to the right.

sue

heykaren
03-13-2007, 06:43 AM
OK, I think I may be improvising here, but it seems to be working. On the RS, Im knitting 9, slipping the last stitch, knitting a stitch from the other needle ( which is from the center square ) and then slipping the slipped stitch over the knit. Seems to be working, but Ill have to go a bit further to see if its wonky or not. Does it sounds sorta right?

Thanks so much Friskums and Sue - I really appreciate the help. And I think Ill be filing those links for future reference..... :happydance:

Karen

BTW Friskums, how would you have known Im doing it "backwards" if I didn`t tell you..... :teehee:

Friskums
03-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Well, I shouldn't have just assumed you were doing it righthanded. :oops: :teehee:

As long as it works, who cares what you're doing. :rofl: :hug:

Markette
03-13-2007, 03:04 PM
I FINALLY got my Spring IK in the mail, so as soon as I finish my current pair of socks (I'm turning the heel on the second one, so maybe I'll finish tonight or tomorrow), I'll get started on those entrelac socks. I can't WAIT!

HamaLee
03-13-2007, 09:03 PM
All of your lovely projects convinced me to join you!
I had a few balls of SWS lying around so I'm gonna turn them into pillows.
Knitting backwards is fun :happydance:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/123/420569303_36907f2b38.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/420569270_715c8c3aa7.jpg

Ronda
03-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Love those colors HamaLee!

For those of you making pillows, are you just "winging it" or are you following a pattern? Do you use a pillow form (and therefore have to make the piece a specific size) or are you going to stuff it or what? I'm loving these pillows!!! :heart:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Gosh I wish I could specifically comment on everyone's projects... they all look so :inlove: gorgeous :inlove: !!!

I love everyone's SWS. I'm going to have to go buy some of that...

HamaLee
03-13-2007, 10:03 PM
For those of you making pillows, are you just "winging it" or are you following a pattern? Do you use a pillow form (and therefore have to make the piece a specific size) or are you going to stuff it or what? I'm loving these pillows!!! :heart:

Yeah I'm just winging it til it looks squarish. Then I'll make another side. And then my second pillow I think I'll make smaller--also fewer stitches to see how it looks.

I plan on being able to block the thing into the closest available pillow form size. My pillows turn out lumpy if I stuff 'em myself :teehee: .

Jan in CA
03-13-2007, 10:52 PM
That SWS sure makes lovely projects! I wouldn't get a handwash wool for pillows though for myself.. Too much cat hair around and handwashing wouldn't get rid of fur that easily AND I hate handwashing. :teehee:

zip
03-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Y'all rock. Everyone's projects are so pretty. :cheering:

I haven't yet cast on. :oops: Am aiming to do so tomorrow night.

HamaLee
03-14-2007, 10:26 AM
I wouldn't get a handwash wool for pillows though for myself.. Too much cat hair around and handwashing wouldn't get rid of fur that easily

Jan you're so right...I never think about these things in advance :doh:, I'm in too much of a stupor after touching pretty yarn :teehee:. I've got a dog and I bet these pillows will be Cooper-colored in no time. Maybe I should gift them! :figureditout:

KnittinMitchie
03-14-2007, 01:53 PM
HELP!!! This is kicking my butt. I've even done that yarnpath tutorial. I think Is just a counting thing but its still Kicking my butt. All I want to do is knit a small pot holder size square just so I get the hang of it. Also before I saw a dish cloth done in Entrelac in a post and now i cant find it. Oh well I'll keep trying and maybe it will click.

Jan in CA
03-14-2007, 02:09 PM
This is the one I learned on..is this the one you mean?
Garterlac Dishcloth (http://criminyjickets.blogspot.com/2006/07/garterlac-dishcloth.html)

This is also helpful doing the garterlac dishcloth.
http://flickr.com/photos/crafty_cat/sets/72157594222116897/detail/

lestrella
03-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Beautiful job Hamalee!!!

zip
03-15-2007, 02:09 AM
I feel like such a knittard. I'm stuck at this point in the yarnpath tutorial:

http://www.wolfandturtle.net/Yarnpath/Blogphotos/Jan06/01-27/Sidetri.jpg

The next instructions read:
Now, pick up 8 stitches from here
Turn and P8, turn

I've tried knitting into the picked up stitches because I'm on the knit side, as shown in the tutorial photo, then turning to do the P8. I've tried picking up the stitches on another needle and turning to do the P8. Either way, the working yarn is on the left needle. Clearly, I'm missing something... :??

Can anyone offer a little help?

KnittinMitchie
03-15-2007, 12:09 PM
This is the one I learned on..is this the one you mean?
Garterlac Dishcloth (http://criminyjickets.blogspot.com/2006/07/garterlac-dishcloth.html)

That be the one. I also got it together and figured out how to knit the Garterlac dish cloth. I think the purls where throwiing me off cause I had no problems with the Dishcloth (http://mitchiecaknit.blogspot.com/2007/03/garterlac-dish-cloth.html)

zip
03-15-2007, 02:58 PM
:doh: My brain is fried from taxes. sorry... hopefully I can overcome my overthinking and just do it tonight.

Ingrid
03-15-2007, 03:37 PM
I feel like such a knittard. I'm stuck at this point in the yarnpath tutorial:

http://www.wolfandturtle.net/Yarnpath/Blogphotos/Jan06/01-27/Sidetri.jpg

The next instructions read:
Now, pick up 8 stitches from here
Turn and P8, turn

I've tried knitting into the picked up stitches because I'm on the knit side, as shown in the tutorial photo, then turning to do the P8. I've tried picking up the stitches on another needle and turning to do the P8. Either way, the working yarn is on the left needle. Clearly, I'm missing something... :??

Can anyone offer a little help?

I couldn't see your picture at work, but what you do here is pick up stitches across the gray stitches that are between your needles.

zkimom
03-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Where's my yarn???? :pout:

It's not here yet. :verysad:

I'm hoping tomorrow but the weather forecast is grim.

Some Noro Big Kureyon would lift my spirits. :eyebrow:

zip
03-15-2007, 10:24 PM
I couldn't see your picture at work, but what you do here is pick up stitches across the gray stitches that are between your needles.

Thank you, Ingrid! I did exactly that twice last night and then froze on how to do the next step because my brain is overloaded with the volume of work I'm facing. I think I can continue now and would do so tonight if I hadn't left it in my office today. :doh:

dustinac
03-15-2007, 10:29 PM
:happydance: I'm knitting backwards.. its so much easier!! I have stopped though a few tiers after the heel.. want to get another sock at least to the hill if not done so I can finally have a pair... and then I'd like to get the other enterlac sock to the same place so I don't get SS... :rofl:

Markette
03-16-2007, 01:55 AM
Here's my sock so far. I had a lot of touble with the toe, had to cast on and rip about 6 times before I got it figured out, and then I noticed that the pattern as written is 9 1/4" long in the foot, and my foot is 10" long, so I knit 9 extra toe rows before I looked again and saw that it fits size 8-9, and I'm 8.5, so I had to rip those extra rows back, but apparently I went too far because I got to my last base triangle and discovered I didn't have enough stitches. So after a Scarlett O'Hara moment ("As God is my witness, I will never knit toe-up socks again!") I ripped the triangles and did another increase round, double, triple, and quadruple checked my number of stitches, and got into it again. Compared to the toe, the entrelac is a cakewalk! Especially with knitting backwards; turning the work with 2 yarns and several toothpicks attached was a disaster waiting to happen.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/CMarkette/IMG_0005.jpg
Yarn: Knit Picks Essential superwash in Cocoa and Fawn

Ronda
03-16-2007, 08:04 AM
...turning the work with 2 yarns and several toothpicks attached was a disaster waiting to happen...

That made me giggle! The socks look great! You all keep talking about "knitting backwards." I'm going to have to check that out.

zkimom
03-16-2007, 09:39 AM
That made me giggle! The socks look great! You all keep talking about "knitting backwards." I'm going to have to check that out.

Amy's video on knitting backwards makes it look so easy! I'm going to use that technique as soon as I start my project. That is if my yarn arrives today as it is scheduled to -- we are having a late season snowstorm so I wonder if it will arrive. :shrug:

meearnol
03-16-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm SO in! I started working on mine about a week or so ago, and as soon as my sister saw it she said "I've got dibs on that one!" Hehe. I was working on it while I was getting my tattoo worked on the other day, and my artist was calling everyone into the room to look at my scarf! Crazy. I think I might just make him one, too. :happydance:

sittenknitten
03-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Finished my Danica last week. Darn! There was snow on the ground when I started it and in the 6 days it took to knit it spring arrived. Almost 70 degrees now. :doh:

I have faith, though, spring in the mountains is a zig-zag affair. I'll get to wear it yet, we're bound to have a blizzard in April and frost on Mothers Day. :rofl:

Still no pics, but truthfully, it looks like everyone else's Danica in SWS Natural Earth. :teehee:

KellyK
03-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Your sock is SO gorgeous!!!!

KathyinCali
03-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Beautiful sock and Entrelac :cheering: :cheering:

momwolf
03-17-2007, 07:45 AM
Socks look great,but are they bumpy on the inside :?? from all the seams?
I started a kids sweater and am going to frog it :wall: Don't like the yarn,it is to busy :!!!:

momwolf
03-17-2007, 08:12 AM
I know this is a little late but here is a good tutorial with pics
http://redthreadsblog.blogspot.com/2006/03/entrelac-tutorial.html

lestrella
03-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Markette, your socks look great!

momwold, I'm sorry to hear you're going to frog your sweater. I did the same thing with the hat I was making. I wasn't happy with it. Well, at least, I leaned the technique.

zip, I wish I can help :pout: .

:hug:

KnittinMitchie
03-17-2007, 05:13 PM
i think I might try and knit up a pair of Entrelac socks some time in the near future. I have some Knit Picks Pallette yarn that would work well for the Entrelac.

jamadian75
03-17-2007, 06:00 PM
No WiP to post yet, but I do have this pattern to offer for an Entrelac Ski Band/Headband.

Seems like a quick knit for those of us who haven't started yet :oops:

The pattern link is here (http://home.comcast.net/~michelelb/entrelac.band.html).

AmandaC
03-17-2007, 07:05 PM
I've just started the Danica scarf in Noro Kureyon .... wip photos later ...

zip
03-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Markette, your socks look great!

momwold, I'm sorry to hear you're going to frog your sweater. I did the same thing with the hat I was making. I wasn't happy with it. Well, at least, I leaned the technique.

zip, I wish I can help :pout: .

:hug:

Thanks, hunny. :hug: I shan't let it defeat me. ;) For the past two nights, I've been too wiped out from work to even pick it up. Tonight, hopefully.

zip
03-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Last night, I moved forward with the entrelac and it made sense. But I miscounted on the first purl row of the first pick-up stitches section. So I ripped it all the way to the beginning. :oops:

Jan in CA
03-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Last night, I moved forward with the entrelac and it made sense. But I miscounted on the first purl row of the first pick-up stitches section. So I ripped it all the way to the beginning. :oops:

It took me a couple tries before it all sinked in. Don't feel bad you're not alone! Did you see this?
http://flickr.com/photos/crafty_cat/sets/72157594222116897/detail/
It's the garterlac help, but the process is the same w/o purling.

kniftyknitter12
03-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Where can I buy interweave knits?

HamaLee
03-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Ok here's one half of my pillow:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/425826902_faaa34211d.jpg

I haven't blocked it, I'm trying to decide if I should. I kinda like the rustic vibe it gives off when it's all lumpy and 3D like that. Do you think I should block it so that it lays flat? Anybody have any examples of blocked/flattened pieces of entrelac?

Thanks!

momwolf
03-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Zip
This could help it has lots of pics
http://knittingpark.com/EntrelacJournal.html

HamaLee
03-18-2007, 06:54 PM
Where can I buy interweave knits?

I don't have a subscription (yet!) so I pick mine up at my LYS, they have a rack of various mags. Barnes and Noble or Borders might carry it as well.

You can also go to the website: www.interweaveknits.com and I think you can order individual issues there. Good luck@

suzeeq
03-18-2007, 09:48 PM
One of my local grocery stores has IK in the mag section. It's a Kroger owned store, so that may help. LYSs and the chain bookstores usually have it.

sue

Jan in CA
03-19-2007, 02:04 AM
Barnes and Noble has it, too.

That's gorgeous HamaLee!

RachelJean
03-19-2007, 09:05 AM
turning the work with 2 yarns and several toothpicks attached was a disaster waiting to happen

That's exactly why I'm too chicken to start the entrelac socks. I have the pattern and the yarn, but I decided to cast on for Pomatomous instead. Maybe the entrelac ones will be my next pair? Markette, your socks are looking great!

sittenknitten
03-19-2007, 11:07 AM
My Danica had so much character and "poofiness" before blocking that I didn't want to flatten it out too much. I guess you could say I "half" blocked it: laid it out across the bed, slightly stretched for extra length, and sprayed it with a squirt bottle and water. It straightened up the edges without removing all of the texture.

HamaLee
03-19-2007, 11:11 AM
My Danica had so much character and "poofiness" before blocking that I didn't want to flatten it out too much. I guess you could say I "half" blocked it: laid it out across the bed, slightly stretched for extra length, and sprayed it with a squirt bottle and water. It straightened up the edges without removing all of the texture.

Cool beans, that sounds like a good idea. I always forget about spray/mist blocking versus total wet blocking. I'd like to straighten out some edges and whatnot, but I do like the funkiness of the texture.

AmandaC
03-19-2007, 06:42 PM
I've started my Danica .... in Noro Kureyon ... I plan to block it HARD .... I'm hoping it will 1) soften the wool and 2) make it look neater

Jan in CA
03-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Beautiful!! :heart:

momwolf
03-19-2007, 07:52 PM
I must be nuts to try this hat in the round :wall: I have to do decreases ,change colors and learn to do this in the round. Oh ya and knit backwards :passedout:I think it's coming out pretty good though.I'm waiting for yarn to do a purse so thought I'd practice.

KnittinMitchie
03-19-2007, 10:41 PM
I am SO debating on knitting Electelac socks. Does anyone have a good easy follow pattern or tell me where I can find one.

Jan in CA
03-19-2007, 10:51 PM
That looks so hard, Julie (momwolf)!!

dustinac
03-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Momwolf~ its looking good!! That is how the socks are... in the round on dpns, color change, and knitting backwards :rofl: the first P2tog threw me for a minute like umm ok.. but then decided not to think and just do and so far so good.. :teehee: Which yarn did you decide on for your purse (if ya don't mind me asking :teehee: ) I'm still looking.. I wanted to do it in Natural Pink from SWS but after googling it I wasn't sure they say the colors fade.. I want something bright and pretty for spring though :shrug:

I haven't worked on them though for awhile wanted to get some other things done.. and then I want to get the other sock caught up to this one so it will get made... :teehee:

KnittinMitchie~If you look through out the KAL you will see all kinds of links to Enterlac patterns.. If you haven't done it before I'd suggest a small practice pattern before the socks.. :happydance:

HamaLee~It looks wonderful! :cheering:

AmandaC~ Very pretty! :happydance:

zip
03-20-2007, 03:30 PM
I thank y'all for the pointers. You're so kind. :) On Sunday, I reached the same point as I did pre-frog. Last night, I watched Brigadoon and did a couple of mindless rows on a baby blanket that's halfway done for a baby who's now walking. :oops:

Tonight, I shall conquer the first pick up row of the entrelac. or give up until after tax season if I eff it up again.

MaryS
03-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Zip,

I feel your pain on trying to knit during tax season. There's only so much brain power to be had in any given day and those wonderful clients want it ALL!! :wall: :wall:

Four weeks from today we get our 'regularly scheduled lives' back! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I'm also working on a mindless Baby Blanket (KK's NEBB) so my mind can totally turn off. At least in my case the baby isn't due until June. :happydance:

Mary

momwolf
03-20-2007, 06:30 PM
My hats done or is it a blender cover :?? :roflhard: It was actually pretty easy. :cheering:

KnittinMitchie
03-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Momwolf I love your hat. That is so cool looking.

zip
03-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Zip,

I feel your pain on trying to knit during tax season. There's only so much brain power to be had in any given day and those wonderful clients want it ALL!! :wall: :wall:

Four weeks from today we get our 'regularly scheduled lives' back! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I'm also working on a mindless Baby Blanket (KK's NEBB) so my mind can totally turn off. At least in my case the baby isn't due until June. :happydance:

Mary

It's crazy busy, isn't it? Today I thumbed through my non-tax files and found a client's workers' comp audit that's due tomorrow. :shock: That was a close call. Some of the ordinary monthly work simply can't wait.

You have plenty of time for your blanket! (what's KK's NEBB?) I have to finish mine for personal karma reasons, and to give it to the little girl whose dad assures me she'll love it. Then there are two other babies for whom I want to make things. But tonight, it's entrelac and me and Simon on AI. :teehee:

momwolf, cool blender cozy! ;)

Friskums
03-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Finished my entrelac...thing. :rofl: :happydance:

http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/entrelacfinished.jpg

It turned out to be like 24 inches by 21 inches. So, I'm just going to end up knitting a plain back to it in some cream yarn I recycled to make a giant pillow.

Everyone else's is turning out great!

Markette
03-20-2007, 11:54 PM
I got the first sock done!

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/CMarkette/IMG_0001-1.jpg

I decided that, realistically, I wouldn't wear these as knee socks, so I ended it after 5 contrast color tiers on the leg.

Friskums
03-21-2007, 12:06 AM
I'm sooooooooooooo tempted to make a pair of those. :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Jan in CA
03-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Friskums and Markette, those are both georgous!!

Ronda
03-21-2007, 06:39 AM
My goodness. Everybody's stuff looks sooooo nice. Momwolf, you got that done awfully fast!!!! :notworthy:

AmandaC
03-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Wow Friskums that is gor-geeeeeeeeee-ous :thud:

And Markette :thud: sensational sock :cheering:

MaryS
03-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Zip,

KK's NEBB = Kelly K knit a baby blanket about 2 yrs ago that she called the Never Ending Baby Blanket. It starts out with 5 stitches, increases one stitch per row until you get the side length you want (in my case 36 inches), then decrease one stitch per row back down to 5 stitches and bind off. She kept running out of yarn and going back to the store for "just one more ball". :wall:

This is the only time so far I've used the Pythagorean Theorem in knitting. :rofl: It's helpful to know what hypotenuse length you're shooting for. :teehee: The whole thing is in garter stitch so it comes out square, but it's really mindless knitting. Just right for a burned-out, sleep-deprived CPA at the end of March!

Hope the rest of your season goes well! Are you taking April 18th off?
I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:
Mary

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-21-2007, 10:52 AM
everyone's stuff is SO fabulous!!! MW, that hat is AMAZING! good for you for conquering it! I love how the top spirials in.

heykaren
03-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Everyones projects look GREAT!!!!!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

I have a question. Im a new knitter and was wondering if, when I get my Danica to the length I want, could switch yarn and knit "another" scarf directly onto the end of it. Im thinking of adding a garter stitched scarf to the back to "hide" the back, so Im wondering if I could just continue on once Im done with the entrelac. Does that make sense?

If that is possible, would it also work out to p2tog at the beginning and end of each row - one stitch from the entrelac scarf and one from the backing? That way, Id only have to join the last edge when finished, do you know what I mean?

Anyway, here is a pic of my Danica.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n219/heykaren/Projects/entralacscarf.jpg

Karen

suzeeq
03-21-2007, 01:10 PM
That sounds like it might work Karen, except you may want to do the backing scarf in stockinette. Garter and stockinette row gauge works out differently, so you could end up with some puckering there, trying to match the end stitches together.

sue

XbelovedXoneX
03-21-2007, 01:36 PM
So I gave up on my garterlac dishcloth after I had set it down too long and didn't know where to begin again. But now this beautiful bag of noro silk garden should be arriving on my doorstep today for a Lady E. I'm just a bit adventurous I think. Or just foolish. :teehee:

KellyK
03-21-2007, 03:36 PM
OMG, Mary! :roflhard: I havent thought about the NEBB for ages! I cant believe you remember the whole story! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: I was a VERY new knitter then, very slow at it, so I bet yours is going much faster.,...

MomWolf... do you live in a log cabin home???? :drool: :inlove: :thud:

Friskums... your "thing" is GAWGEOUS!

As is that sock, Markette!

Im still on the hunt for either the Feb 2004 Knit-N-Style or the Vogue 2006 Holiday mag so I can find a cardi pattern that I like. :shrug:

lestrella
03-21-2007, 06:20 PM
MomWolf, Friskums and Markette...Those are Awesome!

momwolf
03-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks everyone :hug:
KellyK --- I WISH :shock: I lived in a log house :pout: I just have my home decorated as if it was

Hilde---Thanks,the hat was fun to make :cheering: Thanks again for suggesting Entrelac :cheering:
Everyone things look so GOOOOD :cheering: :happydance:

My Noro yarn came today so I can start my purse if I can learn the invisible cast on :!!!: I can't get Amys video to work.I post help so maybe someone will tell me why I can't get them to work

momwolf
03-23-2007, 08:11 PM
I got my Noro yarn and started my purse

Friskums
03-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Lookin good! :thumbsup:

I think I'm going to knit a plain back, and then pick up stitches along both edges to kinda seam them together and use the attached icord to give it a nice finished look.

Ronda
03-23-2007, 09:38 PM
:inlove: Beautiful, momwolf.

Jan in CA
03-24-2007, 12:47 AM
I love that yarn, Julie! It looks great!

kniftyknitter12
03-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Are the entrelac socks comfortable?

HamaLee
03-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Everybody's looking good!
Here's an update on my SWS pillows. I've knit one half of a big pillow, and one half of a small pillow. I wanted to see how the yarn worked up in different variations.

The big pillow is six blocks across, each block is 8 stitches. The small pillow is six blocks across, 5 stitches each. I like both for different reasons...I like how the smaller pillow has longer color runs so it looks more woven. But I also think the big pillow is fun with colors alternating each block.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/424734618_cf25cc242a_m.jpg http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/432880951_5e4f0531ab_m.jpg
Big Pillow-------------------------------------------------Little Pillow

Jan in CA
03-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Those are going to be gorgeous pillows!

momwolf
03-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks Jan I love the color too :heart:
Hamalee, the pillows are beautiful :cheering:

amy
03-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Just popping in to say WOW! :inlove: These projects are all so fantastic!

Markette, I don't think I've ever seen entrelac socks, those are spectacular!

I made Danica for Sheldon when that pattern came out--still his favorite scaf, and I steal it often. I eventually decided to back the scarf with a matching fleece. I HIGHLY recommend doing so, it really made the whole thing look sooooo much more "finished." (The back of the project just isn't pretty to look at, IMO.) Also, the fleece hides all the color change ends! ;)

lestrella
03-25-2007, 10:10 PM
momwolf and hamalee, I just wanted to say WOW!!! :thumbsup:

Markette
03-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Are the entrelac socks comfortable?

I'm not sure yet, because I only have the one finished, but it doesn't feel like it will be uncomfortable.

dustinac
03-28-2007, 08:23 AM
:cheering: Everybody's Entrelac looks great!!!

Momwolf~ It is looking wonderful..

Hammalee~ I love those colors

Markette~ Love the socks

Friskums~ It looks wonderful!!!

I finished one of my socks yesterday while enjoying the outdoors... great thing about this pattern is you can remeber it easily so I can work on it while everything else is going on.. once I started knitting backwards the sock flew by.. very fast sock to knit I think... I'm using stash yarn so you have Gloss in Burguandy and Essentials in Dusk... used size 0s for the toes and heels.. the rest is on 1s.. although I should have done the ribbing in 0s.. I might re do it after I finish the 2nd sock.. I also decided to do the ribbing in the CC instead of MC...

It is very hard to take a photo of your own foot :teehee:

RachelJean
03-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Wow...great looking sock! I think I might try that pattern next.

lestrella
03-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Wow! I love those socks!! You did a great job!!! :thumbsup:

sittenknitten
03-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Love the socks! And all the other monthly projects too.

Do you think April will generate 29 pages of projects as well? :cheering:

Jan in CA
03-28-2007, 08:41 PM
Awesome socks!! :passedout:

zip
03-28-2007, 09:04 PM
:woohoo:

What is it? We'll all have to wait and see. I think my cast-on edge is too tight. Ought I remove it?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/438124844_66781b5175.jpg

Those socks are amazing. :notworthy:

suzeeq
03-29-2007, 12:06 AM
It might block out - you could do it now before you go too much longer. Entrelac needs a really loose caston, backwards loop or knitted.

sue

zip
03-29-2007, 12:17 AM
It might block out - you could do it now before you go too much longer. Entrelac needs a really loose caston, backwards loop or knitted.

sue

Does it matter that I'll felt it when I'm finished?

suzeeq
03-29-2007, 12:58 AM
If it's too tight now, it'll still be tighter than the rest when it's felted.

sue

zip
03-29-2007, 01:00 AM
If it's too tight now, it'll still be tighter than the rest when it's felted.

sue

That makes sense. :doh: Ok, I'll figure something out. Thanks!

Jan in CA
03-29-2007, 02:47 AM
That yarn is gorgeous, Zip! I'm not sure about the CO, but it does look a little tight. If you decide to frog maybe CO with larger needles.

Ronda
03-29-2007, 06:31 AM
zip - those colors are beautiful. What yarn are you using?

zip
03-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks! It's Paton's SWS in natural earth. Jan, I'm not inclined to undo all that I've done. I want to try unraveling the cast on row and ultimately add a border all the way around the finished product. So, wish me miraculous luck cuz I'm gonna need it. :teehee:

HamaLee
03-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks! It's Paton's SWS in natural earth. Jan, I'm not inclined to undo all that I've done. I want to try unraveling the cast on row and ultimately add a border all the way around the finished product. So, wish me miraculous luck cuz I'm gonna need it. :teehee:

Plop a lifeline in there a few rows up from the cast-on! Grumperina had a post on her blog about cutting off the cast-on edge, unraveling and then grafting it back together on a sweater. I'm not sure how much of it applies to entrelac or your situation but here's (http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/archives/2005/09/operation_orang.htm) the link. Good luck!

Jan in CA
03-29-2007, 01:59 PM

Let us know how it goes! Sounds scary to me! :shock: :teehee:

zip
03-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Plop a lifeline in there a few rows up from the cast-on! Grumperina had a post on her blog about cutting off the cast-on edge, unraveling and then grafting it back together on a sweater. I'm not sure how much of it applies to entrelac or your situation but here's (http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/archives/2005/09/operation_orang.htm) the link. Good luck!

Thank you! Reading that made my palms sweat. ;) I'll keep y'all posted.

dustinac
03-30-2007, 07:46 AM
:happydance: Thanks everyone!! I'm getting read to do my 2nd heel woohoo.. Love nice weather getting outside and knitting while the kids play...

Zip, I love SWS with Entrelac and that color way.. good luck with the CO I have to watch my edge as well.. It looks wonderful :happydance:

dustinac
04-01-2007, 10:24 AM
:cheering: My socks are done woohooo!!!! :happydance:

I really like this pattern and can see me doing them again later on.. This was my first toe up sock.. not sure which I like best..

I only used one of each color with left overs... so now I gotta figure out what to do with the other hanks I have left...maybe red socks for my little girl with blue toes and heels and the other for my son :shrug:

DotMom61
04-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Dusty!!! Those are GORGEOUS!!! Oh my. They're simply perfect.

I have abandoned my entrelac scarf for my Emma Jacket. I don't know if I'll *ever* finish it ... the scarf, that is. Perhaps I'll drag it out later and work a tier or two.

Happy April, everyone!

zip
04-01-2007, 11:39 AM
:cheering: My socks are done woohooo!!!! :happydance:

You're so fast! :noway: They're beautimous. :heart:

It'll be another month before I'm finished. stoopit old tax season anyway. :verysad:

dustinac
04-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Thank you :hug:

Zip, lol I lucked out.. we got pretty weather so the kids and me could go outside.. they ran and played while I sat in the swing and knitted... then I put in a few late nights... it's not always like that or that fast.. like today I didn't even get a chance to knit.. :rofl:

Duckling326
04-01-2007, 10:46 PM
I didn't know the challenge was entrelac but this is what I'm working on right now. I took a class last weekend and I'm really enjoying doing entrelac.

Pattern is from Lucy Neatby, yarn from my LYS, knit on size 6.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/Duckling326/IM000357.jpg

Ingrid
04-03-2007, 11:56 AM
A couple of days late, but I finished!!! Here! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29614)

dustinac
04-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Duckling that looks great :happydance:

Ingrid, :inlove: beautiful!!!!

DotMom61
04-13-2007, 02:52 PM
A couple of days late, but I finished!!! Here! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29614)

Ingrid ... that is just amazing ... I can' believe how perfectly the Noro colors are spaced out for this project ... or did you plan it that way? :hmm:

Ingrid
04-13-2007, 03:10 PM
No plan--I just let Noro take it's course. :teehee:

zip
04-18-2007, 08:55 PM
xxx

zip
05-03-2007, 12:53 AM
I guess I'm the last one to finish? Except that I'm not exactly finished. :roll:

Anyway... I'm gonna hijack this thread with what I have and ask for some input.

Remember my first few sets of blocks? Y'all suggested that my cast-on was too tight, and I was in full agreement.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/185/438124844_66781b5175.jpg

When I reached a full square in size, I picked up stitches all the way around, unraveling the cast-on edge when I reached it, and stitched a border of eight (I think) rows...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/zipper/knit/entrelac003resize.jpg

...with holes evenly spaced throughout the middle of the border.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/zipper/knit/entrelac004resize.jpg

I made an i-cord and ran it through the holes, then felted the whole thing, with the thought that I'd line it with a gorgeous bronze taffeta remnant that I found in a fabric store last week and be able to use it as a bag for some as yet undetermined purpose. I'd already dubbed it my taxbag because I made it during tax season

Here's the outside.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/zipper/knit/denverandentrelac042resize.jpg

The inside.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/zipper/knit/denverandentrelac045resize.jpg

I tightened up the i-cord and voila! It transformed from taxbag to something that looks like fido's ***.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/zipper/knit/denverandentrelac046resize.jpg

meh.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/zipper/knit/denverandentrelac047resize1.jpg

pffffffft. :pout:

Ought I:
1. pull out the i-cord, wet it, block it, and make it a mat for assorted uses;
2. wet it, stuff it with something to give it a rounder shape for a bag or maybe a basket;
3. give it to my dog for a toy;
4. deny its existence and toss it?

carmabelle1191
05-03-2007, 10:27 AM
You did a great job! :notworthy: I'm sure you could use it as some sort of mat, if you really don't like it as a bag. :shrug:

SandraEllen
05-03-2007, 12:30 PM
I think it looked beautiful on the table. mat for assorted purposes! :thumbsup:

zip
05-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks, girls! :) I think a mat's the way to go. The jewel tones are lovely with my table - thanks for pointing that out, SandraEllen.

This was my first entrelac, first felting and first effort at making something without a pattern. Here's hoping it's beautiful in about 24 hours.

Friskums
05-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Finished my entrelac pillow over the weekend.

Front:
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/pillowdonefront.jpg

Back:
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/pillowdoneback.jpg

Side:
http://ekittie.com/images/knitting/pillowdoneside.jpg

Originally I had picked up stitches around the sides and used the attached i-cord bind off, but I didn't like the look of it. It looked better in my mind. So, I ripped it all out and just used a blanket stitch to tack them together. Much happier with how that turned out.

Also, I just decided to tuck the longer front into the back to keep it closed. Then, I can still take out the pillow to wash it and everything without worrying about the pillowcase, since the front entrelac is handwash only. :teehee:

carmabelle1191
05-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Wow, that's amazing! Great job! :cheering: :notworthy:

Friskums
05-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks. :D

I luuuuuurves it. :heart:

zip
05-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Friskums, it's so pretty! Looks soft, too. Did you use Paton's SWS?

Friskums
05-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Umm... I don't remember what the yarn is. :oops: The back is a sweater I bought from goodwill and took apart. The entrelac was something my boyfriend bought me off webs.com.