PDA

View Full Version : KH Monthly Challenge--March

Pages : [1] 2

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-28-2007, 05:29 PM
OKay ladies and gents! This month, for most of us, will be an actual CHALLENGE. I'm also suggesting a similar project. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give this one a try; it's a cool knitting technique, great for stashbusting, and looks a lot harder than it is.

For March, I want you to try Entrelac. The pattern I am suggesting is Danica from knitty (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTdanica.html), but you can just do a swatch if you want to, or another pattern alltogether (puppyluv knitted this awesome wrap (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27491), Lady Eleanor, from Scarf Style). There's also a pair of entrelac socks in the new Interweave Knits, and I'm sure Knitting Pattern Central (www.knittingpatterncentral.com) has some projects.

Before you're all :shock: and :thud: let's anser a question: what *is* entrelac??? Well, we have a whole thread about it here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27128&start=15&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=entrelac) (Friskums and Dustinac have some pics there, too) and some discussion about gauge here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=391881&highlight=entrelac#391881). Basically, you're going to be knitting stockinette short rows to form triangles and rectangles that look like they are woven together.

The yarnpath (http://wolfandturtle.net/Yarnpath/index.php/Yarnpath/comments/all_aboard_the_entrelac_express/) has a great tutorial on how to start (thanks Friskums for the link), and it is almost identical to the tutorial in Interweave Knits.

The tools you need are 2 or more colors of yarn with the same weight/gauge, needles appropriate for that yarn and maybe a row counter. All you need to know how to do is knit, purl, slip, k2tog, p2tog, and pick up stitches. Allllll skills we already have, OR have access to via Amy's videos.

Did I *mention* this project will be *ideal* for you stashbusters?? :yay:

I'm going to start Danica tonight, after I buy yarn at Chix (I know, not stashbusting, but I'm weak, what can I say :oops: )

This is a great opportunity for us to learn from each other, so let's all join in, shall we?

Happy xxx

lissalue
02-28-2007, 05:42 PM
wow, it is even up before march!! i can't wait to try this one out!!! i have lots of yarn i can use! but first to finish last months (Feb.) kal, and all my other projects that have time limits!! :cheering:

Jillle
02-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Hilde-This is awesome! :cheering: I've wanted to try entrelac, but have been kinda scared. :help: I will probably only try a swatch, as I have way too many things OTN's right now. Great KAL! :muah:

feminine_earth
02-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Whoohooo! :woot: I've been waiting for this one ever since I heard it would be entrelac! I have three skeins of Patons SWS that I'm gonna make the Danica out of! Sooooo excited! I think I might cast on as soon as I start my Petunia tote (as if I don't have enough projects on the needles!). :happydance:

Thanks Hildie!! :hug:

trublnde
02-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Can you join in if you have already started a Danica scarf? I started one last month and haven't gotten around to finishing it, and I think this would be a great motivation ofr me to do so.

dustinac
02-28-2007, 06:57 PM
:cheering: I'm stash busting with some sock yarn.. will be doing the socks in Interweave Knits :happydance:

lucky_alf2
02-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Sounds interesting! I'll give it a whirl, although as a newbie I'm a little nervous....I'll have to check out the instruction links and ponder a small project to try this out on.

pandaca
02-28-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm a lurker more than a poster, but I've been dying to try entrelac so I have to join this challenge!

Has anyone ever done a baby blanket in entrelac? I might have to search for a pattern.

jamadian75
02-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Only the maaaaahvelous Hilde could pull me out of hiding with something such as this :hug:

I'm in! I've admired this technique for a long while, and there's no better way than a KAL to try out something new.

hydeemarie
02-28-2007, 08:38 PM
:blooby: im so in on this one.... I have admired so many things knit in entrelac.... now I can learn!! And I am soo sooo sooo sure that I will have many questions along the way for instructions!!! :muah: :heart: :clink:

HollyP
02-28-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm in! I love entralac. For those of you afraid of it and want something small here (http://criminyjickets.blogspot.com/2006/07/garterlac-dishcloth.html) is a pattern for the garterlac dishcloth. It is a great and easy way to learn entralac.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-28-2007, 11:35 PM
Hooray!!! I'm so glad everyone is so excited! :yay:

Ammendment: you can use varigated yarn for this project, and that's it. It makes a VERY cool effect. I started Danica tonight, and aside from not really getting where to pick up the first set of stitches (I'm a bad direction-reader) it was pretty easy.

Some tips:
CO *loosley*
Pay attention to where it says NOT to turn... this is the error I made, and the lady at Chix who helped me figure out why I couldn't pick up the stitches said that happens sometimes (I turned and the yarn was on the "wrong" end of the needle)
You won't always be working all of the live stitches on your needle. Don't freak.
In Danica, *often* (but not always) you will p2tog or k2tog across a gap.

Once you get started and see how the formula works, it's VERY easy.

And of course, you can join if you've already started! You're still KALing!

CateKnits
02-28-2007, 11:43 PM
I might join if someone shows me what the BACK of entrelac looks like. :P

lestrella
02-28-2007, 11:47 PM
:cheering: I'm in!!! (like I don't have enough projects OTNs).

I've been meaning to try this for a while and this will be a great motivation. I'm not sure what to make. I don't even have any nice yarn. But I will figure out something and would probably start this weekend. :woohoo:

zip
02-28-2007, 11:48 PM
I might join if someone shows me what the BACK of entrelac looks like. :P

front is on the left; back is on the right.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/IMAGES/danicaCU.jpg

I'm thinkin' about it, Hildie. hmmmmm...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-01-2007, 01:00 AM
oo thanks Zip, I was going to post that very picture!!! :yay:

Lestrella, I found a HUGE sense of accomplishment from the little bit I did tonight; it looks SO cool, and once you get the pattern it's easy. That enough is motivation (for me).
And you don't need nice yarn, just stashbust. You can really make each triangle a different color. Use a different color of some feltable yarn and make a placemat or coaster.

My goal for this KAL is that we all learn a new skill, not necessarily produce something.

CateKnits
03-01-2007, 01:06 AM
Thanks, Zip!

I think I'll pass...I'd make something feltable, but my stash doesn't really have much feltable in it. :shrug:

mdog182
03-01-2007, 01:59 AM
i did a little swatch of entrelac when i got my issue of interweave....it was soo much fun, i think i will join this kal and try my hand at the danica scarf. yay i'm excited!!!

hunterjenn
03-01-2007, 02:35 AM
Awesome! I just bought some SWS to do a Lady E on Monday!! I'm IN! :thumbsup: (My first KAL--yay!)

zip
03-01-2007, 02:47 AM
A placemat or a set of coasters is a great idea! ok, I'm caving a little more.

KellyK
03-01-2007, 04:12 AM
I have some Noro Silk Garden that is SCREAMING for an entrelac project... I've never done it before, either! However, I have searched high and low for an entrelac bolero or cardi. HONESTLY I have... Im a GOOD searcher. Id even be willing to pay for a pattern or book. If any of you have seen such a pattern, would you give me a heads up? Id be eternally grateful. I have 1300 yds of this yarn, and I wont wear any more scarves than I already have... but, Id LOVE to join you! :heart:

AnotherBecca
03-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Maybe I'll join in... but not until I finish more than half of a blanket that I have to finish for a baby shower (if I don't run out of yarn!!) by next Sunday!!

jamadian75
03-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Hello luvs,

I found this link for a "tutorial" as well...
http://www.io.com/~cjwyche/Entrelac/Entrelac.html

Hope this is helpful, sometimes different directions "click" for different people.

I'm going to try this out in a long rectangle and then seam it up for a purse I think. Might even felt it...VERY excited to give it a try!

zkimom
03-01-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm in!

I'm thinking a felted purse like this (http://www.kpixie.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3031) or this (http://www.knitpicks.com/projects/itemid_30575220/projects_display.aspx) (if I want to spring for a book in order to get one pattern!)

Can't wait to start!

Best,
Susan

itsjustmeghan
03-01-2007, 10:39 AM
i've always wanted to learn how to do this, and i have TONS AND TONS of yarn leftover from random blankets i've made...
maybe i'll start a random scarf with all the different colors? or should i just start with 2 colors so i don't get confused?

hmmm..
let' start small..
WASHCLOTH IT IS! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-01-2007, 10:54 AM
:woot:

Markette
03-01-2007, 11:36 AM
I've got the yarn for the IK entrelac socks, I'm just waiting for my subscription to kick in.

Angelia
03-01-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm in!!! :woot: It's Danica for me; I'm not ready for an in-the-round entrelac project just yet. :teehee:

jamadian75
03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm in!

I'm thinking a felted purse like this (http://www.kpixie.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3031) or this (http://www.knitpicks.com/projects/itemid_30575220/projects_display.aspx) (if I want to spring for a book in order to get one pattern!)

Can't wait to start!

Best,
Susan

I know not all libraries are the same, but the one near me ALWAYS has that book Bags: A Knitter's Dozen available. That would be a good option since you are just looking for that one pattern.

Jan in CA
03-01-2007, 04:08 PM
I've been wanting to try, too!

This is garter, but the same principle..would it be okay for this?
Garterlac (http://criminyjickets.blogspot.com/2006/07/garterlac-dishcloth.html)

cara
03-01-2007, 04:54 PM
I definately want to give this one a try. I would like to make a felted bag as well. I have some really nice left over wool from a couple of other felting projects.

Yay!

zkimom
03-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Check this (http://www.knittinguniverse.com/flash/webfeatures/paintbox/marketbag.html) out!

DotMom61
03-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Great project idea, Hild! I think perhaps you just solved my problem with what to do w/ my Brooks Farm yarn!! :cheering: Thanks! :muah:

feminine_earth
03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
HELP! HELP! :help:

For those of you doing Danica...when the pattern says to break yarn and use CC1, if we're using Patons SWS, we don't have to do that...right? No breaking yarn required because this yarn automatically makes new colors...right?

Thanks in advance! :hug:

dustinac
03-01-2007, 10:05 PM

For those of you doing Danica...when the pattern says to break yarn and use CC1, if we're using Patons SWS, we don't have to do that...right? No breaking yarn required because this yarn automatically makes new colors...right?

Yep your right.. you do not have to break and change yarns.. :happydance: I had started Danica using two different colors and didn't like the fact I had so many ends.. once I found SWS I knew it would make it so easier.. It works really well and looks so pretty in this design :cheering:

feminine_earth
03-01-2007, 10:13 PM

Yep your right.. you do not have to break and change yarns.. :happydance: I had started Danica using two different colors and didn't like the fact I had so many ends.. once I found SWS I knew it would make it so easier.. It works really well and looks so pretty in this design :cheering:
Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! :hug:

Petals
03-01-2007, 10:32 PM
I just told my sister-in-law today that I was going to try this. I just got back in town and checking in to see what I've been missing here at KH., so this must be a sign that I must do entrelac! :teehee:

Now I'll go back and read the rest of the posts(I just got a little excited)- :happydance:

Arielluria
03-01-2007, 10:46 PM
I don't think I can add another large project to my needles right now, but that scarf & wrap looks gorgeous, I will definitely try it in the future. I might do a swatch just so I don't feel so left out ;) First I need to read those helpful links!

Cristy
03-01-2007, 11:05 PM
I like Jan's idea of garterlac---is that "fairgame"? I don't have time for a big project--but I'd like to try the technique.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-01-2007, 11:10 PM
anything-lac is allowed :hug:

Jan in CA
03-02-2007, 02:41 AM
I started the Garterlac Dishcloth tonite. :zombie: Actually it's not hard at all, but it was hard at first keeping track of where I was in the pattern. It's not something I can do while watching TV at least for now. I've done the base rows and the first 3 squares. :cheering:

Oh and I'm using some variegated wool and larger needles so I can felt it. Not sure how big a dishcloth size will felt down to, but that's okay. I see now how to make it better for a trivet next time. ;)

AmandaC
03-02-2007, 05:38 AM
Cool - I've never joined a Monthly challenge before ... I want to do an entrelac scarf in my Noro Kureyon. Anna (catownedanna) did one not long ago and it was gorgeous.

I have done entrelac before - a felted tote from KP. I gave it to my Mum and she uses it every day :happydance: pictures here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10092&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=entrelac+felted+tote&start=795)

feminine_earth
03-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Wow. Picking up stitches with Patons SWS really sucks.

And I've got a question to ask, but I forgot to take a picture to show you guys. I just finished the little triangle that I had to pick up stitches for (the second time picking up stitches)...and well...it's hard to explain, but now there's three sections on the needle...I think there's supposed to be 21 stitches in total...and well, I have 20 because the very first base of the very first triangle (the one with the tail) only has 9 stitches! Grrr! :wall: How I managed that one, I have no idea...but I hope when I get around to making the square near it, I can just increase somehow.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? :pout:

lestrella
03-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks Hildie! I got a few ideas. I will definetely start working on my project this weekend.

:muah:

dustinac
03-02-2007, 09:59 AM
.. hmm I'm not very good at explaining things :rofl: but I'll give it a try... I'm not sure but I don't think it will work.. cause each square you have you will be picking up sts along it and attaching them to previous squares.... I think you will prolly have to wait till you come across the one that is 1 short and then just not do a decrease cause you are already missing one... If you add one now when you are picking up for another square/section then that square itself will have one extra.. it won't make up for the one missing when you get to its section.. I would prolly frog back and make sure I had the 10 so that each square/section comes out right.. :pout:

What type of needles are using to PU the sts? I used the options and thought the tip on them really pu the sts smoothly and quickly.... although when I would have to frog for wrong st count too lol I found the yarn could be harder to work with till I got back to the yarn that hadn't been used before...

:teehee: I don't think I'm making any sense :teehee:

:teehee: I don't think I'm making any sense :teehee:

feminine_earth
03-02-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm using bamboo straights. It's not the needle that's the problem, though, it's the yarn. It keeps splitting on me. AND when my hands get sweaty and warm, the darn yarn tries to felt! :pout:

I guess I'll figure something out. I'm not one for frogging...I'm more of an improvising kinda girl. :rofl: So we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the help! :)

Jessica
03-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Yea, I love entrelac :cheering: I finished the Danica a couple weeks ago and loved doing it so much I ordered Scraf Style to I could get the Lady E pattern. I sould be starting in Cali, but I dont think I'll finish it :pout: Can I still post pictures and pretend its done?

suzeeq
03-02-2007, 10:40 AM
When you come to that section again, try to pick up an extra stitch so you have the extra one on it. Don't not decrease, because that will throw things off. Or just leave that section with 9 sts on it, it might not show so much. I made an entrelac scarf with 10 stitches in each block, only I was short of finishing the last set of triangles. I like to use all I've got to avoid having little bits left over, so I ripped back a couple tiers and made those with 9 sts instead of 10. I don't think you can tell the difference and I have just about a yard left.

sue

Ronda
03-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Can I join?!

I started a purse. I'm working on circular needles in the round. I've gotten so far, got confused, tried to frog it but the $!#!$# yarn sort of stuck to itself so I had to cut it and start all over. I'm back to where I was stuck before. What confuses me is that I am not sure where to pick up my next 9 stitches, as the triangle below doesn't seem to even have 9 available places to pick up stitches from! Also, it looks weird to me (and I'm finding it very hard to explain this) because I have yarn going from the left triangle to the right triangle sort of in between the needles. How can that be right? I'll try to take a photo of it.

I posted this on the how to board, and suzeeq responded, but I'm still a little too afraid to go on because I've already had one frogging "incident." My yarn was not cheap ($20 a hank) and I believe I'm going to have to go back and get another hank to make up for what I've lost!

I would post a pic, but my camera battery is dead. I'll charge it and see if I can get a clear picture. Maybe someone will understand me without a picture though. ;-)

MaryS
03-02-2007, 12:56 PM
I think I'm going to join Jan and do the Garterlac dishcloth :cheering: - either cotton in two colors, or use up all my feltable leftovers and make potholders! :happydance: :happydance:

I've never had any desire to try this before :shrug: (and I have three large: 1 LG man's sweater, 2 baby blankets, and 3 small: fingerless gloves, felted purse, FT clogs on the needles now!), :shock: :roll: BUT....

IF I can find some currently unoccupied needles :?? maybe I'll start this weekend! Who needs to be even semi-monoganous? :rofl:

AND it would count as "StashBusting" too :cheering: :cheering:

I wish tax season would be over soon. :pout: There's not enough knitting time in my day. :verysad:

Mary

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Sounds like we're all having our own frustrations.

I've been using a crochet hook to pick up my sts... my yarn is very splitty, too :gah: I wish I would have slipped the first stitch of every row so I'd have a neat edge from which to pick up the stitches, but the quilted look of a the fabric is hiding all the imperfections.

I've done the 2nd and 3rd tier od Danica 4 times now, you'd think I'd have figured out what to do by now, but :doh: nooooo every time I look at it I'm like "What? Where? There? No, that's not right..."

But it's FUN and I am loving it!!!!

Ronda
03-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Here's a picture of my entrelac project. What is confusing me is the yarn at the top between the needles. It's going across from the left to the right needle, and it's also attached to a few stitches below. You see the working yarn coming from the right needle and through a stitch. I think I'm supposed to pick up my 9 stitches in the triangle under the right needle (the wrong side of the work is facing the camera), but those "strings" or "webs" or whatever you want to call them are in my way. I keep thinking I've obviously done something wrong, but this is how it looked after I finished the first time (before frogging).

suzeeq
03-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Ok, it looks like you tried to p2tog with the stitch on the left needle. Undo that stitch so your triangles/blocks are separate again. Then pick up stitches from directly under the right needle tip.

sue

Ronda
03-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Ok, it looks like you tried to p2tog with the stitch on the left needle. Undo that stitch so your triangles/blocks are separate again. Then pick up stitches from directly under the right needle tip.

sue

:muah: Thank you. I'll try that later this evening.

feminine_earth
03-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Ronda, that yarn is gorgeous! :inlove:

Ronda
03-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Ronda, that yarn is gorgeous! :inlove:

Thank you. It's Noro Iro. Can't remember the colorway though at the moment.

Suzeeq was right on about me purling 2 together. I was able to fix my mistake. Time to keep on going...!

DotMom61
03-02-2007, 05:49 PM
I started my March Challenge today! :happydance:

I'm doing Danica using my Brooks Farm yarn, which is a lovely merino. I've been frustrated w/ it, though, because it's thick & thin, and I've yet to find a pattern that I'm happy with. So far, though, I think this is going to do it. I finished the base triangles, and I'm on Section 2 now.

Off to work on it a little!

DotMom61
03-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Oh yeah, and are we going to get a new graphic for this challenge? :angelgrin: Something Entrelecky, perhaps?

Ronda
03-02-2007, 07:23 PM
:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Thanks to suzeeq, I'm back on track, and I'm knitting my little heart out! I'm so excited I can barely stand myself.

jamadian75
03-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Oh yeah, and are we going to get a new graphic for this challenge? :angelgrin: Something Entrelecky, perhaps?

Hmmm...

I've never tried this before....but here goes, how about this one?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/178/408230774_3fd167b1c0_m.jpg

Might need to shrink it?? :??

suzeeq
03-02-2007, 09:45 PM
:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Thanks to suzeeq, I'm back on track, and I'm knitting my little heart out! I'm so excited I can barely stand myself.

Good for you! :cheering:

sue

dustinac
03-02-2007, 09:58 PM
jamadian~ I like that :cheering:

So I was a little nervous starting the socks.. since Danica was my first and only enterlac project.. I had only CO for a toe up sock the other day and haven't made it to the foot yet so that had me a little worried.. but I'm happy to say they are coming along :cheering: I found the CO very easy to do but I'm not sure if it is right.. I think its shaped funny... :shrug:

Picts hopefully tomorrow... :happydance:

Ronda :happydance: :cheering:

Feminine earth.. :oops: sorry for the misguided info... hope it works out...

:cheering: Hope everyone is having fun!!!

Orangeus
03-02-2007, 11:02 PM
What a perfect reason to finally learn entrelac! I'm not going to make anything of use though, but I grabed some yarn and needles, turned on a show [I'd already seen a million times but is still hilarious] and did this!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/Orangeus/Knitting/Entrelac003.jpg

Not the best of pictures, but I can't wait to start a new colour row and trying different combinations of colour placing!

Hopefully everything will get a bit less fiddy looking after a few more sets (the block edges are so sloppy)....

Stuff like this, though, really does make it hard to try and convince non-knitters that it really is easy! My claims of 'no really, it's just a few steps!' are scoffed at, hahah.

zip
03-02-2007, 11:18 PM
eye yam intimidated by entrelac. must study it a bit.

feminine_earth
03-02-2007, 11:45 PM
jamadian~ I like that :cheering:

So I was a little nervous starting the socks.. since Danica was my first and only enterlac project.. I had only CO for a toe up sock the other day and haven't made it to the foot yet so that had me a little worried.. but I'm happy to say they are coming along :cheering: I found the CO very easy to do but I'm not sure if it is right.. I think its shaped funny... :shrug:

Picts hopefully tomorrow... :happydance:

Ronda :happydance: :cheering:

Feminine earth.. :oops: sorry for the misguided info... hope it works out...

:cheering: Hope everyone is having fun!!!
Oh no, you didn't give me misguided info! Don't think that! I still have no idea what I did wrong anyway...just gonna try to wing it. I appreciate you trying to help me! :hug:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-03-2007, 12:24 AM
ooo Marce, love the badge!!! PM Chel, she may have done one already (she's done all the other ones) and maybe you can combine ideas.

I'm so torn between my 2 projects right now!!!! My Wicked sweater is ALMOST DONE, but I can' t stop doing Danica!!!

Jan, have you done st st entrelac, too? If so, do you think garter-lac is easier?

Jan in CA
03-03-2007, 03:35 AM
I finished my square! I'll take a photo before it's felted. I have a feeling the felting will cause it to loose some of it's loveliness, but whatever. I enjoyed it a lot and want to do another one! :cheering:

DotMom61
03-03-2007, 05:12 AM
Question (and I'm sorry if someone has already asked this): When you are picking up stitches, there are more rows then there are stitches to be picked up. So, do you skip rows & distribute the picked up stitches evenly along the square/rectangle/triangle, or do you pick them up one right after the other???? :??

ETA: I just love it when I answer my own questions. :rollingeyes:

I went in search of this information, and found this pattern (http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=191024) which indicates that you ARE supposed to pick up the stitches evenly starting @ the tip of the rectangle or triangle and ending in the valley. This is what I suspected, but no one's ever explicitly said it out loud. So, I had to ask.

I hope this helps someone else as well. The pattern linked above is pretty, btw.

aprildavis99
03-03-2007, 07:18 AM
I am soooo anxious to try entrelac. I am definitely in. I will do Danica first then Eleanor later. :cheering:

sittenknitten
03-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Nevermind that I already have a couple of projects on the needles, including a pair of socks for a monthly KAL that need to be finished in March... I already have the yarn for Danica and have been procrastinating because of the entrelac thing.

So here goes! I'll be following the thread closely, maybe all my questions will be asked and answered before I have to ask them myself. :teehee:

suzeeq
03-03-2007, 11:51 AM
As for how many stitches to pick up, theoretically you'll have done twice as many rows as stitches (working 8 sts/block makes 15-16 rows) so you pick up a stitch every other row.

sue

sittenknitten
03-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Question (and I'm sorry if someone has already asked this): When you are picking up stitches, there are more rows then there are stitches to be picked up. So, do you skip rows & distribute the picked up stitches evenly along the square/rectangle/triangle, or do you pick them up one right after the other???? :??

ETA: I just love it when I answer my own questions. :rollingeyes:

I hope this helps someone else as well. The pattern linked above is pretty, btw.

Thanks for asking this, I just did this section (incorrectly!) and wondered what to do about the extra space at the bottom of the picked up part... now I can drop 9 of those picked up stitches off and spread them out a bit.

Was anyone else thrown by "pick up and purl?" I've been picking up with the left needle to make this work, hope that's the right way to do it.

Jan in CA
03-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Okay, here it is unfelted.

momwolf
03-03-2007, 02:15 PM
I just start a sample of this and I LOVE it :muah: Thanks Hilde
To pick up purl you just come from the back of the work and purl that pickup at the same time instead of going through the front of the st and just pickup sts.Hope this helps
I'm going back to knitting :cheering:

DotMom61
03-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Jan -- that's really cool! I had started that garterlac clothe a while back, but I got really bored with it really quickly. I was in kind of a knitting slump at the time, and garter stitch wasn't doing it for me. Anyway, yours looks great. What is that yarn??!

I may have to pull out some bits of wool & do that now. :shifty:

Jan in CA
03-03-2007, 02:32 PM
The red in that yarn isn't really quite that bright. It's Patons Classic Wool in harvest.

I didn't get bored, it was fun watching it come together. :teehee:

MaryS
03-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Jan,

I :heart: :heart: your garterlac.

Ok, I'm digging through the stash now to cast on this afternoon!

Mary

Jenelle
03-03-2007, 03:08 PM
So here's my progress. I decided to make a pillow, so I cast on 40 stitches, and it's about 14 inches wide. I really like this technique, and if I get good at it I might consider designing a hat. :happydance: One thing I did notice was that do was Hildie said and cast on LOOSELY! I did cast on as loose as I could, and I could have gone a little looser.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/Knitting-Nelly/HPIM0830bh.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/Knitting-Nelly/HPIM0829bh.jpg

Jan in CA
03-03-2007, 03:24 PM
Jenelle!!! That is gorgeous! :inlove: I was thinking maybe doing a pillow, too. I like the back of something like a scarf to look as good as the front and it won't work with entrelac.

What yarn is that? I'm wondering is SS would work for a pillow..

zkimom
03-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Jenelle,

Those colors are lovely!

I've been practicing my technique and waiting for my pattern and yarn to arrive :tap:

I'm making a purse from Bags: A Knitters Dozen and I ordered some Big Kureyon from Little Knits to work it up in.

Maybe I'll start the end of next week.

Best,
Susan

Jenelle
03-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Jan- it's caron simply soft.

I can't decide if I want a white or black back for it though. :shrug:

Stiney
03-03-2007, 06:21 PM
I'd go with black.

Jan in CA
03-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Personally I think I'd go wtih that gray color that is on your base triangles.

dustinac
03-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Feminine_earth :hug: I'm sure you will get it to work out!!!

Jan~ :cheering: I have never seen anything but the solid of Paton in person.. I see it online and wonder how it looks very pretty... :happydance:

Jenelle~I love those colors put together and was thinking the gray too...

:pout: I haven't got to work on mine today or time to take picts... Yesterday my lil boy came home early from school under the weather.. so we all piled on the sofa for his favorite movies.. but today both kids have felt thier oats and I had to do 2wk grocery shopping.. it's bed time now :teehee: so after a nice hot bath I'll pull it out and work on it... :happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Jenelle... FABULOUS!!

puppyluv
03-04-2007, 12:32 AM
<snip!>I like the back of something like a scarf to look as good as the front and it won't work with entrelac.

Jan, if you're willing to block aggressively (and don't mind losing the puffy look) entrelac can be very pleasing to look at, on the backside.
I'm going to attach a few photos of my Lady Eleanor wrap. Sometimes I have to look hard to figure out which side is the back, when I toss it around my neck!
But, like I said, it will lose that unique Entrelac braided look, which is sometimes the goal.
For me, well I really wanted to try Lady E, but I wanted it to look good on both sides. So I blocked it. :teehee:

Jan in CA
03-04-2007, 01:15 AM
Jan~ :cheering: I have never seen anything but the solid of Paton in person.. I see it online and wonder how it looks very pretty... :happydance:

It's actually closer to the color in this photo of my Baby Surprise Jacket. I bought it online at Joanns sight unseen so I was glad it was so pretty.
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/130990683-S.jpg

Thanks for that info and pictures, Puppyluv. It does look pretty good blocked like that, but I do love the look of stockinette so you'd lose that. Good to know though! Except I don't know if I could pick up the stitches that neatly!

Jan in CA
03-04-2007, 03:38 AM
I have some Noro Silk Garden that is SCREAMING for an entrelac project... I've never done it before, either! However, I have searched high and low for an entrelac bolero or cardi.

What about these?
Entrelac vest (http://spincraftpatterns.com/product_info.php?products_id=112&osCsid=4e5d60d0639f60442e79fc0c9f79a875)
February 2002 -entrelac cardigan (http://www.knitnstyle.com/issues/backissues2002.shtml)
cardigan (http://www.onefineyarn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SJWJ206&Category_Code=PAB_W)

Ingrid
03-04-2007, 10:53 AM
It's funny that this is the March project. I've been thinking about entrelac and found some Noro on great sale, so I started a throw last night with it. It will take me a while, but I find it to be easy without being mind-numbing.

Everyone's look so neat!! I need to be more careful. I probably should have practiced first. :shrug:

KellyK
03-04-2007, 11:20 AM
THANKS, Janny!! I may try to get a hold of that Feb 2002 issue of Knit N Style... without the tie, I think that cover cardi may be the way to go... says the issue has lots of mitered squares projects, too, and I might like something like that even better.

Puppylove, your backside looks FANNNTASTIC!! :eyebrow:

:teehee:

XbelovedXoneX
03-04-2007, 11:27 AM
I think I'm going to have to try the garterlac dishcloth with some leftover Patons or maybe some cotton. Not sure which yet. I've been dreaming of doing a Lady E, but it's probably best to get a little practice in! I don't want to wreck my budget buying all the yarn only to find out I don't like the process! :teehee:

sittenknitten
03-04-2007, 12:08 PM
I started Danica yesterday. After finishing the base triangles and the first two tiers I was absolutely sure that I had made a wrong turn somewhere... there was nothing rectangular about it. :teehee:

A careful study of pictures in this thread convinced me that each piece was in the right place, just distorted.

Now that I've done two more tiers it looks as it should, boy am I relieved! It is terribly addicting, though, I keep saying "just one more tier" when I should be getting on with my day.

Thanks to everyone for posting how easy this pattern is in spite of initial impressions: I don't think I would have tried it without the encouragement.

Pics to be posted soon, it's in the o-so-original but too gorgeous to pass up SWS Natural Earth.

SabrinaJL
03-04-2007, 01:11 PM
I decided to try this out. I'm not making anything specific, just following the instructions from the Yarnpath site. It looks awful! It looks like entrelac, but it looks like very sloppy entrelac.

I don't know if I'm not picking up the stitches in the right spot or what but they keep showing through on the right side and one of triangles on the side isn't quite straight. The point sticks out weirdly. :(

momwolf
03-04-2007, 01:28 PM
I decided to make a camera case out of mine :happydance:
I LOVE this !!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna make something else now :cheering: :muah:

Jan in CA
03-04-2007, 01:31 PM
Jenelle has inspired me to try a pillow! I just need to figure out what yarn I want to use. :thinking:

Yeah! Ingrid is joining us!! :cheering:

Yeah! I found a pattern for Kelly!! :teehee:

suzeeq
03-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Sabrina, it just takes time to get it even, like when you first started knitting. I've been knitting a long long time and it took me a start or three before I got it looking like I wanted it to.

sue

momwolf
03-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Think I'll try a pillow too Jan.The hard part is like you said the colors and yarn :passedout:
Jenelle your pillow is Lovely :notworthy: Hope mine turns out that good :wall:
See what you started Hilde :roflhard:

zip
03-04-2007, 01:56 PM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/Knitting-Nelly/HPIM0829bh.jpg

:thud: Are you certain your age isn't transposed? ;)

I Googled my fingers to a cramp yesterday and decided that I want to make this bag (http://restlesslycrafty.wordpress.com/2006/07/24/another-baby-blanket/). I left a message on her blog and included my e-mail address on it. So far, nothing. I mean, c'mon! I posted my message 18 hours ago. Hook me up already. :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-04-2007, 02:24 PM
MW/Julie it looks GREAT!!!! Way to go for an inventive project!!!!! (write down your instructions, we might need them later!)

Jan in CA
03-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Does anyone use backward knitting (http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer06/FEATreverse.html) for entrelac? I've been working at it for the last half hour and while I can do it (in combination style because I knit english) the stitches are not even and it's slow going. Pretty cool though! I think I'll stick to the standard method for my pillow though at least for now.

Ronda
03-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Hilde, was it you that said you were "missing" a stitch in one of your rectangles? All my rectangles have 9 stitches except one. I'm wondering what the best way would be to correct this. Any thoughts, anyone?

puppyluv
03-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Does anyone use backward knitting (http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer06/FEATreverse.html) for entrelac? <snip!>
I knit backward for Lady Eleanor, and I do believe it saved my sanity!
Although I did still do the "flippy-flippy-turn" method for the side triangles.
I couldn't understand exactly how to do it until I ran across this video online. (http://home.comcast.net/%7Epersnicketyknitter/knit-back-76.mpg)
It is VERY nice to go across the entire row of squares, without turning!!!

pandaca
03-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Wow, I love the samples everyone is posting! I decided to do the garterlac dishcloth in bernat cottentots. If it I like it, I'll just make it bigger into a baby blanket.

Gotta finish a pair of booties and then I'll cast on for this. I can't wait!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Ronda, I was missing a stitch, I think... I just picked up an extra one.

I tried the knitting backwards, and made a tangled mess!!!!

Ronda
03-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Hilde - Great minds think alike. ;) That's what I did as well and it worked out fine!

XbelovedXoneX
03-04-2007, 08:09 PM
I've started the garterlac dishcloth! :happydance:

and I'm already stuck. :teehee: I'm doing my first Decreasing Side Triangle. Do you turn it before you pick up the stitches? I didn't but that means the working yarn/the tip of the needle is facing down... Hmmm. Maybe I can find where I'm going in the entrelac article in IK. :??

Ronda
03-04-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm not turning my work before picking up my stitches.

XbelovedXoneX
03-04-2007, 09:52 PM
hmm, maybe I am picking them up in the wrong spot. Do you pick them up from the bottom and work to the top closest to the needle, or vise-versa?

suzeeq
03-04-2007, 09:56 PM
hmm, maybe I am picking them up in the wrong spot. Do you pick them up from the bottom and work to the top closest to the needle, or vise-versa?

You always pick up stitches closest to the right needle where you have the yarn going off to the ball, and go down the triangle/block.

sue

Ronda
03-04-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm picking them from an area closest to the right needle and working my way to the left. I hope that makes sense.

XbelovedXoneX
03-04-2007, 10:03 PM
I think I must have screwed up somewhere. That's how I am picking them up, but when I pick them up along the edge to make the decreasing triangle the working yarn is at the bottom corner, and the needle is facing down. I wish I could post a picture! :wall:

aprildavis99
03-04-2007, 11:36 PM
I have started Danica with KP's merino with hollyberry, storm and vanilla. I love entrelac. I also absolutely adore knitting backwards. :heart: I think I would have gone crazy with all the turning.
someone earlier said that entrelac was addicting. So true. I also do the "just one more tier" thing. Next thing I know, I am 4 more tiers down. :teehee:

Someone had also asked if the "pick up and purl" part of this pattern was confusing. I just pick up and not worry about the purl part. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it seems to be coming out ok so oh well. :oops:

suzeeq
03-04-2007, 11:37 PM
I'm picking them from an area closest to the right needle and working my way to the left. I hope that makes sense.

That's right.

sue

lestrella
03-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Wow! The projects are looking great. I can’t wait to see everyone else’s!

I finally started working on my project :cheering: . Originally, I was going to make a pillow but I decided to go with a baby hat instead. First, I did a swatch which I had to frog like four times :-x . I read like four different entrelac patterns and none of them made any sense to me :wall: . Then, I discovered the reverse method/backward knitting and what a relief :happydance: . It’s less complicated and it totally makes sense.

Despite all the frustration that I went thru with this technique, I have to admit that I really like it and I can see myself getting addicted to it. It’s not as complicated as the written instructions seem. I’ll try to post a picture tomorrow.

:hug:

suzeeq
03-05-2007, 01:11 AM
Someone had also asked if the "pick up and purl" part of this pattern was confusing. I just pick up and not worry about the purl part. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it seems to be coming out ok so oh well. :oops:

Basically you just pick up the stitches from right to left with the purl side facing you. That's it....

sue

momwolf
03-05-2007, 02:43 AM
We should be able to make this don't ya think :roflhard: http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/footsie/footsie.html
I'm gonna try this one,my feet are always cold.My luck the phone would ring and I'd fall on my a## :roflhard:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-05-2007, 03:16 AM
:shock: Very Interesting... What colors are you going to use?

catownedanna
03-05-2007, 03:24 AM
This post's Swedish word/phrase: "Det sparar mycket tid att sticka baklänges istället för att svända projektet hela tiden" = "It saves a lot of time to knit backwards instead of turning the project all the time"
_____

Hej!

I've been browsing this thread and saw Jan asking about knitting backwards instead of turning the work all the time. I did an entrelac scarf a couple of months ago and used this technique (http://nimrodel70.blogspot.com/2005/12/knitting-backward-tutorial.html)to get my knititng backwards correct.

I highly recommend spending the 15 minutes it takes to learn how to knit backwards (at least that was the amount of time it took me) as the constant turning of the project (probably) will be both time consuming and annoying!!!

Love to see all your projects! :happydance:

XbelovedXoneX
03-05-2007, 08:16 AM
phew! I figured out where I was making my boo-boo. I was picking up the stitches with a new needle when I didn't need too! :teehee: It's going well! I think I will have to do a few more practice entrelac piece before I try to undertake the Lady E. I will definitely have to look into the backwards knitting thing also!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-05-2007, 08:37 AM
I've been using a crochet hook to pick up my stitches.

Andrea
03-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Julie! Are you doing Danica with your Brooks Farm? Because I think we have the same stuff, right? I've been trying to figure out what to do with mine....:thinking:

By the way, everyone's projects look gorgeous!! Bravo! :cheering:

jmp3775
03-05-2007, 10:26 AM
I have some Noro Silk Garden that is SCREAMING for an entrelac project... I've never done it before, either! However, I have searched high and low for an entrelac bolero or cardi. HONESTLY I have... Im a GOOD searcher. Id even be willing to pay for a pattern or book. If any of you have seen such a pattern, would you give me a heads up? Id be eternally grateful. I have 1300 yds of this yarn, and I wont wear any more scarves than I already have... but, Id LOVE to join you! :heart:
The book The Best of Knitter's Magazine- Wraps and Shawls has an entrelac shrug in it. That may not be the exact title, but its that "Best of..." series.

momwolf
03-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Hilde,
I haven't figured out colors yet because I need to figure out how to convert this to entrelac :shrug: I think the foot holes are going to be the tricky part.

Andrea,
Which Julie are you asking? :??

Chel
03-05-2007, 10:48 AM
How about a nifty knitting badge for the month of March?

Come on entrelac-ers. You know you want one. :roflhard:

KellyK
03-05-2007, 11:53 AM
The book The Best of Knitter's Magazine- Wraps and Shawls has an entrelac shrug in it. That may not be the exact title, but its that "Best of..." series.

If it's "Ponchos and Wraps... A Knitters' Dozen", Ive seen that one... didnt like it. it was a rectangle with ribbed cuffs... gave it a very 80's shape.

Thanks everyone who is helping me scope out the possibilities!! :hug:

suzeeq
03-05-2007, 12:04 PM
For anyone who's still having trouble figuring out where to pick up, the pictures in this tutorial (http://knittingpark.com/EntrelacJournal.html) are pretty good. And there's a link to an entrelac satchel.

sue

momwolf
03-05-2007, 12:46 PM
This entrlac is so much fun :cheering: :happydance: I did this in variegated yarn

lauraknits
03-05-2007, 12:57 PM
oh boy. I have to join this but I am not ready for the entrelac socks. I think I can make a bag...

Andrea
03-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Andrea,
Which Julie are you asking? :??

Julie DotMom :thumbsup:

hedgehog
03-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Ooh, i made Knitty's Danica last year with Andean Silk (Bluebell and Navy and a splash of Mustard for the accent squares) It turned out FABULOUS. It was a gift and the recipient LOVES it.

Great idea, Hildie!

-hh

Jan in CA
03-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the link, Anna! I'll give it a try.

dustinac
03-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Ok before anything else goes crazy around here.. I'm posting my progress..

Jan, thanks for the picture of the sweater will def have to order some of their other wools besides solids now :cheering:

:happydance: Great Job everyone!!!

I'm stash busting with these.. so it's KP Gloss in Burgundy and KPs Essential in Dusk..

Petals
03-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Those look really nice. I have been looking at that pattern. I guess I'm going to have to get some dps!

Are you making knee highs or crews?

dustinac
03-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Thank you!!

:teehee: well I wasn't going to do the knee highs.. till dh was flipping through the mag and made a gross face about them... I told him I thought they were cute and was going to wear them out in public with him (thinking to myself no they will be under jeans) but he said you would NEVER do that (he knows me and he was joking around).. so now I wanna make them knee highs with the tassles and get a cute skirt and say ok hun I'm ready let's go out to dinner.. but they are going so slow that I don't know if I'll make it to the knee or not.. :teehee:

mdog182
03-05-2007, 05:16 PM
ok i'm posting to see if my KAL image tag in my signature shows up.....yessssss

KathyinCali
03-05-2007, 05:58 PM
This entrlac is so much fun :cheering: :happydance: I did this in variegated yarn

Great job - ::turning green with envy at MomWolf's pretty triangles::
:cheering:

lestrella
03-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Here is what I have so far.

lestrella
03-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Here is a close up.

The blocks seem a little big for the tiny hat. Oh, well...

Petals
03-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Preeeety!!!!

DotMom61
03-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Julie! Are you doing Danica with your Brooks Farm? Because I think we have the same stuff, right? I've been trying to figure out what to do with mine....:thinking:

By the way, everyone's projects look gorgeous!! Bravo! :cheering:

Andrea --

Yup, I AM using my Brooks Farm stuff. Did you get the thick & thin stuff? Or have you not wound it into a ball yet. I didn't realize how variable the thicknesses were until I wound it and started knitting with it. :wall: This is about the 5th thing I've tried to make with it, and honestly, I'm pretty happy with it.

Are you gonna use yours?! Are ya' ? Huh? Huh? :blooby: We can be twins! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Wow everyone's stuff looks so great!!!!!!

SabrinaJL
03-05-2007, 11:34 PM
I didn't make anything specific, just followed along with the Yarnpath site to see if I could get the technique down. Since we have so many great looking ones, I will post my messy one. I can't figure out why the picked up stitches are showing. It's just SOOOO sloppy looking. I used size 10 1/2's. I wonder if I should have used smaller ones.

lestrella
03-06-2007, 12:19 AM
I can't figure out why the picked up stitches are showing. It's just SOOOO sloppy looking. I used size 10 1/2's. I wonder if I should have used smaller ones.

Sabrina, that happened to me the first time I tried to pick up stitches. I leaned that when picking up stitches, if the wrong side is facing you, you purl up the stitches; if the right side is facing you, you knit up the stitches.
I'm using the reverse method, but I'm sure it works the same. So, it does make a difference the way you pick up your stitches. Does that make sense?

Don't get discouraged. If it'll make you feel any better, I'll tell you that the first one I did looked just like that. I just didn't post a picture. I ripped it off. I was very frustrated but determined to get it right and I didn't go to sleep until I figured it out.

SabrinaJL
03-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the tip. I may give it another try. Since the technique itself was fairly easy to get, I wasn't discouraged so much as I was annoyed.

Or maybe I could just get Jenelle to come teach me how to do it right. :teehee: Her entrelac looks fantastic. :notworthy:

suzeeq
03-06-2007, 01:27 AM
Sabrina, it looks like you picked up the white stitches on the wrong side, the wrong way. Don't worry, you'll get it figured out. I've been knitting for years and it took me a while.

sue

dustinac
03-06-2007, 10:03 AM
:cheering: ohh so pretty lestrella!!

Sabrina~ I still have to watch that with my sock... I will be doing good and then get one turned around like that.. love the colors together!!

:happydance: I started the heel last night.. I was kinda confused how a toe up heel would be formed.. but so easy.. I want to get past the heel and then I need to put it up and finish a baby afghan... :verysad: :teehee:

Andrea
03-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Andrea --

Yup, I AM using my Brooks Farm stuff. Did you get the thick & thin stuff? Or have you not wound it into a ball yet. I didn't realize how variable the thicknesses were until I wound it and started knitting with it. :wall: This is about the 5th thing I've tried to make with it, and honestly, I'm pretty happy with it.

Are you gonna use yours?! Are ya' ? Huh? Huh? :blooby: We can be twins! :cheering:

I haven't wound mine yet, but the tag says Superwash Wool Silk Viscose...is this the same as yorus? I hate that they don't put a gauge on it...maybe I'll see if it's on their web site.

I wanna be twinsies with you! :blooby:

zkimom
03-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Ok, I got the book with the market bag purse pattern from Amazon -- now all I need is the Noro Big Kureyon I ordered from Little Knits to arrive.

I did a couple of practice swatches so I have the technique down.

Now all I need is my yarn :verysad:

Best,
Susan

KellyK
03-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Andrea... your brooks farm is the same as MY brooks farm! Its the stuff I made my Clapotis from! I would use a sz. 6 or 5 needle with it.

Jessica
03-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Here is a picture of my Danica I did last month. Its made in Malabrigo in the colorways Hollyhawk and Emerald. It didnt come out as long as I wanted, but thats okay.
I dont like how that back of entrelac looks either, so the next time I make another scarf, Im going to make two then seam them together. It would be really warm for the winter and look really nice.

MaryS
03-06-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm a little more than halfway through the Garterlac dishcloth! :cheering:

I'm REALLY :heart: liking the entrelac. I had done two tiers when I realized I wasn't going to have enough yarn to finish the cloth in one color, :wall: :wall: SO.....

I ripped back to the foundation triangles (in SugarN Cream color buttercream) and did the next tier in offwhite SugarN Cream. Now I'll have enough to finish by alternating colors between tiers! :cheering: :cheering:

I also learned how to PURL BACK BACKWARDS :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

This is really speeding up the whole process and it's easy.
Why did I never know how much fun entrelac was? :?? :?? :??

Mary

feminine_earth
03-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Jessica, that is gorgeous! :inlove:

Jenelle
03-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Here's mine:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/Knitting-Nelly/HPIM0849.jpg

It turned out to be 15 inches wide by 21 inches long. I'm making the back gray and it's pure stockinette stitch. In a way it's boring, but I can work on it while watching TV without having to pay attention. :teehee: If I'm lucky I can get it done tonight.

I'll try to get a better picture of it tonight when the sun is partially down.

mdog182
03-06-2007, 02:41 PM
oh my gosh jessica i :heart: the colors in your scarf!!!! it is so pretty!

auburnchick
03-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Here's mine:

That is beautiful!

:passedout:

Andrea
03-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Andrea... your brooks farm is the same as MY brooks farm! Its the stuff I made my Clapotis from! I would use a sz. 6 or 5 needle with it.

:muah: Thanks, KK! You're the best (again!)! I take it DM got a different kind than us...? I knew you made your clap from that. Didja know they'll be at the Fiber Fest?? :woot:

Jessica and Jenelle--GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS!!!

DotMom61
03-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Such beautiful work, ladies!!!

And, yes, Andrea, mine is called "Limited Edition II," and it's a single-ply thick and thin yarn. I'm liking it in the entrelac pattern. I'll take a pic and post it in a few minutes.

Jessica
03-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks guys :aww:

I love everyone elses, there all so beautiful :hug: . Is the entrelac pillow pattern free?
And what mag is the entrelac socks in?

DotMom61
03-06-2007, 04:51 PM
OK ... here are some pics of my March project -- Danica done w/ Brooks Farm Yarn Limited Edition II (50% Wool/50% Mohair) on size 6 needles. These pictures are a good example of the difference a yarn can make. There's quite a contrast between this and the smoother yarns. Also, I'm thinking I need to find some way to smooth out the edges of the scarf. I don't like how wonky they are; perhaps an i-cord???

Jan in CA
03-06-2007, 05:15 PM
That's gorgeous, Julie! I'm not sure about the edges, but the thought of miles of applied or attached i-cord... :passedout:

DotMom61
03-06-2007, 06:36 PM
I know, Jan. :rollingeyes: Maybe it will block out better than I'm thinking it will.

trublnde
03-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I finished my Danica Scarf!! :cheering:

I used three skeins of Patons SWS in Natural Plum, I think. It might have been natural geranium. I don't have my camera at my house so I decided to scan them (that's why it has the wondeful smooshed look to it.)

I would like to block it, but I don't know which way of blocking is the best for Patons SWS. Should I wet block it, or steam block it, or something else?

Hope you like it.

DotMom61
03-06-2007, 07:00 PM
That's so pretty! I like the way the color carries all the way through a whole square. Very nice!

I think that if it the yarn is hand washable it's OK to wet block it, but I guess it all depends on how severely you want to block it!

Andrea
03-06-2007, 07:15 PM
ohhhhhhhh I like both!

Jules, don't you just have one skein?? It's not enough for Danica...are you doing Danica???

DotMom61
03-06-2007, 07:45 PM
I *do* have only one skein, but it's over 400 yards. I'm not concerned if mine turns out a little shorter. It's not going to look anything like the one on Knitty, anyway. :shrug:

KellyK
03-06-2007, 07:49 PM
A friend of mine who made Danica blocked the edges only and it turned out BEAUTIFULLY. She didnt want to lose the "quilted" look of the blocks. I would steam block in that case....

EVERYONE'S projects are just GAWGEOUS!!!!! :inlove:

lestrella
03-06-2007, 07:58 PM
:woot: All the projects look awesome! I love the colors!!

By the way, what's blocking? :shrug:

Jan in CA
03-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Loving all these danicas!! :heart:

momwolf
03-07-2007, 12:13 AM
WOW :woot: everyones entrelac looks wonderful.Great job ladies :cheering: :happydance: Does anyone know where all the free entrelac blankets are or a purse? I love the look of the scarf but not sure about the back side of it.I think I would have to back it with something.

Jenelle your scarf is beautiful :inlove:

Ronda
03-07-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm loving everyone's projects! I'm itching to work on my purse, but darn it all, work comes first.... :grrr:

zkimom
03-07-2007, 07:37 AM
WOW :woot: everyones entrelac looks wonderful.Great job ladies :cheering: :happydance: Does anyone know where all the free entrelac blankets are or a purse? I love the look of the scarf but not sure about the back side of it.I think I would have to back it with something.

Jenelle your scarf is beautiful :inlove:

I was looking for a free entrelac purse pattern and this is the only one I found:

Suki Entrelac Purse (http://freefriends.org/~mare/pattern1.html)

There is a nice one to purchase here at kpixie:
Entrelac Purse (http://www.kpixie.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3031)

and I decided to go for broke and buy the book called Bags: A Knitter's Dozen for their Market Entrelac Purse (http://www.knitpicks.com/books/book_inside.asp?bookID=30575&bookName=Bags%3A+A+Knitter%27s+Dozen&bookAuthor=Staff+of+XRX&myPage=3)

Hope this helps!

Best,
Susan

Compulsive
03-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Welp, I'll give Entrelac a whirl after this video arrives:

http://knitpicks.com/kpimages/regular/80274.jpg

Knitpicks (http://knitpicks.com/books/itemid_80274/books_display) carries it , and IIRC, The Zimmerman DVDs also go over Entrelac knitting.

Does "Garterlac" count? ETA: I see this was already discussed
Here's aGarterlac felted bag (http://hakucho.blogspot.com/2006/10/finally-finished-my-garterlac-inspired.html)

I'm now up to three, soon to be four or five projects, and I always bragged about being a monogamous knitter. I'm such a knitted project wh*re. . . :verysad:

Ingrid
03-07-2007, 03:45 PM
I figured out how to knit backwards to work on the throw!! What a time-saver. I'll post a pic of what I have so far when I get to the end of a row and can flatten it out.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Everyone's stuff looks so fabulous!!! :inlove:

I think this might be the most popular monthly KH KAL in a while... and I was scared that everyone was gonna be like "Uh, no, you're crazy, Hildie! I'm not doing that!"

maybe we'll try steeks next :oo:

Angelia
03-07-2007, 06:56 PM
:teehee:

Steeeeeeks!!! :zombie:

Ingrid
03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
He's mine, so far. It's about 4 feet wide, and I'll knit until I use up the yarn, so it will be a while until completion since I have 17 more skeins to go! :shock:

I had to slip half of it to another needle so it wouldn't be all bunched up.

Jan in CA
03-07-2007, 08:37 PM
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-07-2007, 09:15 PM
OMG Ingy, that will end up being a car cover!!!!! And a gorgeous one, at that!

Ronda
03-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Is that Noro, Ingrid? It's beautiful.

Ingrid
03-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Is that Noro, Ingrid? It's beautiful.

Yes, it's Noro. So purrrdy!

Petals
03-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Really looks good Ingrid! :heart:

dustinac
03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
maybe we'll try steeks next :oo:

:hiding:

:cheering: Ingrid that is really pretty!! Everyone is doing such a great job.. I got the heel turned on my sock.. :?? the knit part of the turn left holes where the purl didn't... :shrug: I have put it down for now till I finish a long over due baby afghan... I will try the knitting backwards when I pick it back up though.. I remeber someone asking where the socks were but not sure I read a reply.. they are in Interweave Knits magazine.. the latest one out.. I'm loving them so far!!! :happydance:

momwolf
03-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Ingrid,do you have a pattern or are you just winging it?It's BEAUTIFUL :inlove: and whose car are you gonna cover :roflhard:
I ordered this (http://cgi.ebay.com/Knitting-Pattern-Q2105-Kids-Entrelac-Basket-Sweater_W0QQitemZ260064790562QQcategoryZ41238QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) from Ebay.
Can hardly wait to get it :cheering:

~~Mod Squad was here; fixed long link :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
03-07-2007, 11:21 PM
That is so cute, Julie!

Jenelle
03-08-2007, 03:10 AM
It's finally finished!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/Knitting-Nelly/HPIM0861.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/Knitting-Nelly/HPIM0864.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/Knitting-Nelly/HPIM0865.jpg

Christine gave me the awesome idea of a three needle bindoff. So, for the past 3 hours I was binding off all the stitches. :passedout:

Now I'm going to go to sleep and see how comfy it is. :sleepy:

Jan in CA
03-08-2007, 03:14 AM
That is too cool, Jenelle! Did you use a pillow form to stuff it?

KellyK
03-08-2007, 04:04 AM
It looks SO great!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Ronda
03-08-2007, 06:57 AM
That turned out perfect, Jenelle!!! :cheering: :heart:

momwolf
03-08-2007, 09:47 AM
SORRY JENELLE,I kept calling your pillow a scarf :doh: Your PILLOW looks beautiful :woot:

zkimom
03-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Ok, still waiting for my LittleKnits order of Noro to come so I can start my bag. Meanwhile, I have been practicing.

I am posting a picture of my swatch in Malabrigo and was wondering if any thinks it has any merit as a possible scarf or I don't know what yet.

I am not sure if the yarn/pattern combo works -- any input?

Thanks,
Susan

KellyK
03-08-2007, 10:05 AM
I think it looks REALLY cool! The little stripes within each panel go in all different directions... LOVE it!

DotMom61
03-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Wow!! Everything looks beautiful! I *love* the way the Noro works up in Entrelac. I have a couple of partials skeins left ... I think I might have to go knit it up in Entrelac just because! :lol:

And zkimom, I think the Malabrigo would make a lovely salt & peppery sort of scarf! :thumbsup:

Stiney
03-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Christine gave me the awesome idea of a three needle bindoff. So, for the past 3 hours I was binding off all the stitches. :passedout:

Now I'm going to go to sleep and see how comfy it is. :sleepy:

It came out great! I like the ridge better than if it had just been seamed. Makes it look more finished. :hug:

Everyone else's entrelac looks great! I'd do this challenge, but I've got too much knitting to do already. :zombie:

RachelJean
03-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Everyone's projects look great. I don't usually join KAL's because I'm usually a one project at a time kind of girl and the timing never seems to work out. However, I made an exception this time because I've been wanting to try entrelac. Here's my sample. Some of my stitches are a little wonky, but I think practice will help with that. On some of the blocks, I was experimenting with slipping the first stich of every row to make picking up stitches easier, but I'm not sure if I like the way it looks. I ordered the Interweave Knits issue with the sock pattern in it, but I'm not sure when I'll start them. I have so many sock patterns I want to try!

chee7e
03-08-2007, 02:28 PM
this website is going to be the death of me. I want to join in with everything. Okay, I'm going to be a little late for this march competition, but as soon as I finish my babyblanket, I'm going to attempt it anyway! I have to knit a thank you gift for a friend of mine for tinkering with my comp. This seems like a many little gift. :)

sasha

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY

suzeeq
03-08-2007, 02:45 PM
I practiced with slipping the first stitch on edges that would later be picked up. It made the back look nicer, but on the front side, it pulled on the stitches next to them and they didn't look so great. So I ended up just doing regular stitches. One of these days, I'll scan my scarf and figure out how to post it. Not for about a week though; we're moving this weekend and it'll take a while to get things back to `normal'.

sue

Ingrid
03-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Jenelle! Your pillow is wonderful!!!

I like the Malabrigo in the entrelac, too. I have some waiting to be another scarf, so I may go with this.

The throw I'm doing is just following entrelac scarf directions, but with more sections. The Noro changes color, so I don't have to do anything except periodically attach a new ball. :shrug:

And it's not going on ANYONE'S car! :teehee:

chee7e
03-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Hey folks,

What does the back of this pattern look like? Is it the same as the front?

Thanks in advance,

sasha

Petals
03-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Gosh, everyones projects look so nice. I haven't worked up the nerve to try this yet. I was just at Rockford's UY today and they had a entrelac scarf out of Noro. The display was done in garter st. Really was pretty.

Friskums
03-08-2007, 04:38 PM
chee7e: There's a picture of the front and back on page 2. Or on the Danica scarf pattern. :thumbsup:

Ingrid
03-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Hey folks,

What does the back of this pattern look like? Is it the same as the front?

Thanks in advance,

sasha

The back is a back--purl panels with seams where the stitches are picked up.

Check back in this thread, someone posted a picture of a beautiful shawl that shows the back--on her's it looks great.

chee7e
03-08-2007, 07:55 PM
thanks folks! wow, are there a lot of pages here!

Ronda
03-08-2007, 08:14 PM
EDITED:

Progress and a question please!

I'm on my final tier - the closing triangles. Do things get wonky here? On all other tiers, a rectangle was neatly finished off and then you were done with that one. Twice now I've tried my first closing triangle, and when I'm done, I have about 10 stitches on the left needle and 2 left over on the right needle from another triangle. Can't figure out where I've gone wrong here. The only thing I'm wondering is if possibly (but I highly doubt it) the directions are wrong.

Once I purl my last night knitted stitches, pick up 9 stitches, slip the last stitch to the left needle and purl 2 together (turn), these are the directions:

k9, turn
p8, p2tog, turn
k8, turn
p7, p2tog, turn
k7, turn
p6, p2tog, turn
k6, turn
p5, p2tog, turn
k5, turn
p4, turn
p3, ptog
k3, turn
p2, p2tog, turn
k2, turn
p1, p2tog, turn

Notice the p3, ptog does NOT have turn after it. Well I tried it once just like the directions said and I tried it once turning, thinking that there was a typo there. Both times I ended up with stitches on both needles when I thought I should have closed off a triangle.

If you can make sense of this, you're my hero!

momwolf
03-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Looks to me like they screwed up the 3&4 directions :shrug: should say
P4 P2 tog turn
K4 turn
P3 P2 tog turn
K3 turn

Ronda
03-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Looks to me like they screwed up the 3&4 directions :shrug: should say
P4 P2 tog turn
K4 turn
P3 P2 tog turn
K3 turn

I'll be happy as a pig in you-know-what if that's my answer! Thanks. :muah:

Ronda
03-08-2007, 10:36 PM
That was it! Thanks, again. I'm back on track.

lestrella
03-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Wow! everyone's project looks great!

I haven't had a chance to work on mine. My dh is out of town and my ds is sick so I haven't had a break. I'll try to work on it tonight but I don't know how far I get. I'm really tired.

momwolf
03-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Ronda,is that the size of the bag?And how is the top finished for closing bag?
Glad you got back on track :cheering: You are doing a really good job so far :happydance: Lookin goooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Secksiebrat
03-09-2007, 01:29 AM
I think I'll probably try the discloth. I'd like to do a purse out of this sometime though. I think it would be really neat! Thanks for the March KAL. Maybe I'll actually get this one done this month :)

~danielle~

Jan in CA
03-09-2007, 01:33 AM
Look at this! Just got it in my email... NO, I'm not knitting it..I'm way past bikinis. :teehee:

Entrelac Bikini (http://www.onefineyarn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=OFY&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=KW_040_002)

Actually check out all these entrelac patterns! (http://www.onefineyarn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?) Some bizarre, but several pretty ones! I like the knitability evening bag...it's sold out. :doh: I might consider the pillow one though. Although I know I could probably do it myself.

Ronda
03-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Ronda,is that the size of the bag?And how is the top finished for closing bag?

That's my next problem. Remember the part I typed in? The pattern just gives that for it's closing tier one time and then says to repeat that all the way around. Then the last part of the pattern is:

"4 stitch attached I-cord
Felt in cold water wash
Attach purchased handle and sew in lining"

She doesn't even say to bind off! I still consider myself a newbie knitter. I need explicit instructions and a picture to look at, and my pattern doesn't even have a picture! (I saw a finished sample in the LYS. It's actually a fairly large bag, IMHO. It looks a little deceiving in the photo and on the needles.) My guess is the woman at the LYS who wrote the pattern assumes that anyone buying her pattern is experienced enough to know what's going on here. Unless someone here has an idea, I think I'm going to have to go back to the LYS and ask them. I don't want to be rude, but do you think I should point out their error in the pattern?

Ronda
03-09-2007, 06:55 AM
lestrella: :hug: I hope your DS feels better soon, and I hope you get a break!

Jan: The bikini is cute!!! I'm not sure I'm brave enough to wear a bikini I knitted myself though... ;-) I'd be afraid it would fall apart in the water!

momwolf
03-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Jan went to page but can't find the entrelac patterns :shrug:

Jan in CA
03-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Jan went to page but can't find the entrelac patterns :shrug:

:?? That is weird. Well just go to http://www.onefineyarn.com and type entrelac in the search. It pops up with all of them.

chee7e
03-10-2007, 03:18 AM
hey folks,

I'm FINALLY done with the baby blanket I've been working on for months (okay, it's not quiet for a baby, more like the baby in two or three years). I'm itching to do something very very different then this beautiful but monotonous blanket.

no longer on needles: beautiful 5'3' "baby" blanket! Now blocking time...maybe lining it...

edited to cut out the question about felting, found my answer.

chee7e
03-10-2007, 04:43 AM
folks, it's 3:42 in the morning...I think I might need some therapy...*kidding...I don't think the latte was such a good idea after 9pm. :)

I've completed the 2nd path and am only slightly confused...we'll see what the light of day will bring with it.

goodnight

chee7e

itsjustmeghan
03-10-2007, 09:47 AM
work has gotten SO insane that knitting my Wicked has been thrown to the wayside...when i DO get to do the entrelac, i'm hoping to make a long skinny scarf with scrap caron simply soft i have. nice spring colors!

in the meantime, i'm loving seeing all the finished projects! :cheering:

KellyK
03-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Ronda.... creating an attached I-cord will bind off the project, but it wasnt very nice of them to neglect to tell you how to do that!

Ronda
03-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Ronda.... creating an attached I-cord will bind off the project, but it wasnt very nice of them to neglect to tell you how to do that!

Creating an attached I-cord, huh? I know how to make an I-cord by itself, but I have no clue how to do it for this purse! I guess that gives the top a nice finished look? Off to see if there are instructions online... :)

lestrella
03-10-2007, 06:25 PM
lestrella: :hug: I hope your DS feels better soon, and I hope you get a break!

Thanks, Ronda!! DS is feeling so much better.

I've been having my own frustrations with my pattern. I hate when they don't give you explicit instructions! I've been to tired to think about it. Now that my DH is back in town, I'll have some time for myself. Hopefully, I'll finish it this weekend.

:hug: :muah: :hug:

momwolf
03-11-2007, 03:46 AM
Ronda here is a video on attaching a i-cord
http://www.knittingatknoon.com/atticord.html

Ronda
03-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Ronda here is a video on attaching a i-cord
http://www.knittingatknoon.com/atticord.html

Thanks! I went to the book store last night and bought The Knitting Answer Book. What a neat book! It had instructions in there, and I tried it on a little practice swatch I made. Very easy, and it does give a nice finish! I'll probably finish up my purse tonight! Of course, I still have to buy purse handles and line it, but the knitting part will be all done! :happydance:

As an aside, I couldn't have done this without you guys, and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who gave me advice/help! :muah:

momwolf
03-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Look what I just ordered
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=565178
http://community.livejournal.com/knitting/416005.html
The first one is a downloadable
The second one I ordered from some where else but this pic is better
:woot: :woot: :woot:

Jan in CA
03-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Wow! I love that first one! I'd probably use less bright colors, but how fun!!!

KellyK
03-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Those ARE great patterns!

Renee is checking her ingy-rivaling stash for that Feb 2002 Knit N Style, so Im hoping to check out the entrelac garment patterns in there and join you all soon! :pray:

momwolf
03-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Jan,the first one is actually 2 patterns the flap bag and the other bag in the pics, and she explains how to do the entrelac.The download is 17 pages :noway:

dustinac
03-11-2007, 02:50 PM
:heart: I love that pattern... wow that is a lot of pages.. can you take it to word and make it smaller?

ETA: :oops: I had to have it.. just bought it..... :rofl: have no idea when I'll make it though... :teehee:

Thank you for posting the link :cheering:

Jan in CA
03-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks Julie, I might have to get it!

zip
03-11-2007, 04:49 PM
I picked up five skeins of Paton's SWS in natural earth and I'm aiming for a set of felted coasters using the tutorial linked to an an earlier post. The skein wrapper reads size 9 needles. Is that what I should use for entrelac? I've never knitted without a pattern.

leila1015
03-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Before I go any further I want to make sure I'm following the Danica pattern correctly.

I'm at the end of section 2 on the left edge triangle. The pattern says, Row 15 [WS]: Pfb, p7, p2tog. Do not turn work. 10 sts on right needle.
Does that mean that there should only be 10 sts on the right needle or that I should move 10 sts to the right needle? I put all on one needle.

Jan in CA
03-11-2007, 06:50 PM
I picked up five skeins of Paton's SWS in natural earth and I'm aiming for a set of felted coasters using the tutorial linked to an an earlier post. The skein wrapper reads size 9 needles. Is that what I should use for entrelac? I've never knitted without a pattern.

If you're going to felt them you want the stitches on the loose side so that would probably be fine. You'll have to see how it goes when you start knitting.

zip
03-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Thank you, Jan! I'll try and see what happens.

feminine_earth
03-11-2007, 08:57 PM
My Danica's coming along slowly but surely. :teehee:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/jelti/danicascarf.jpg

I'm trying to finish some wool longies for a pregnant friend who is due in like 5 weeks, so I'm not getting much time to work on it! I might not get done by the end of the month. :pout:

Friskums
03-11-2007, 09:02 PM
My pillow is coming along. (This is stretched out over a pillow so that I could see if I liked it better puffy or flat. I think I'll be going flat.)
http://www.ekittie.com/images/knitting/entrelacpillow.jpg

I have about a ball and a half left.

Ronda
03-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Friskums: I LOVE that pillow! Just beautiful.

feminine_earth: That looks great. That yarn is perfect for entrelac!

Here is my purse. The knitting part is finally finished. I need to felt it and line it and add a strap (I'm thinking leather), but it's finally off the needles, and I couldn't have done it without you guys! Thanks so much for all the help! :muah: :muah:

(I used Noro Iro for the purse. The Patons SWS is in the picture solely for "sizing" purposes.)

feminine_earth
03-12-2007, 07:45 AM
Friskums, that pillow is awesome!! :inlove:

And Ronda, I love that purse!! :inlove:

dustinac
03-12-2007, 09:19 AM
:cheering: The pillow and purse are so pretty!! :happydance: Great job!!

feminine_earth~ that is really pretty :heart: .. I love the colors!!.. is that the Patons SWS? I have only used the Natural.. I have to order it online so I have not seen all the colors at once in person.. I don't need anymore.. suppose to be stash busting... :teehee:

leila1015 ~ I'm at the end of section 2 on the left edge triangle. The pattern says, Row 15 [WS]: Pfb, p7, p2tog. Do not turn work. 10 sts on right needle.
Does that mean that there should only be 10 sts on the right needle or that I should move 10 sts to the right needle? I put all on one needle.

I haven't worked this in awhile.. but I think you should have the 10sts on your right needle that you just worked with Pfb, P7, p2tog.. :??

leila1015
03-12-2007, 09:27 AM
I haven't worked this in awhile.. but I think you should have the 10sts on your right needle that you just worked with Pfb, P7, p2tog.. Scratching Head

That's what I'm thinking now. I thought that it meant to slip the 10 stitches to the other needle but it didn't actually say that so I got confused. :teehee:

Thanks!

momwolf
03-12-2007, 11:26 AM
WOW everybodies stuff looks great :woot: :woot:
All the purse are beautful and the pillows are lovely :happydance:
Friskums that is gorgous :notworthy:
Rhonda the purse turn out great :happydance:
I'm still trying to figure out what colors to use for the purse pattern I ordered :??

lucky_alf2
03-12-2007, 12:06 PM
momwolf ~ Wow! Love that link and the colors! Fantastic! TFS!

Friskums, feminine_earth, Ronda - your projects look great!

I've been working on a practice swatch -- which seems to look OK. i was so psyched when i got my first rectangle on!! Now I'm scoping out a small project to make -- hopefully I'll get it done before the end of the month is here!

lestrella
03-12-2007, 12:09 PM
WOW!!! Everyone's project look so awesome!!!

feminine_earth, your scarf is looking really nice. I love the colors.

friskums, that pillow is gorgeous! beautiful colors.

Ronda, that purse is so lovely!!! I love the colors too.

chee7e
03-12-2007, 04:10 PM
okay I'm in. I made a swatch to practice:

http://hotimg5.fotki.com/a/155_247/25_123/Entrelac002-th.jpg (http://http://public.fotki.com/enigm7a/other_crafts/knitting_crochetting/entrelac002.html)

and now I'm knitting a scarf lengthwise! Wish me luck.

http://hotimg5.fotki.com/b/155_247/25_123/Entrelac004-th.jpg (http://http://public.fotki.com/enigm7a/other_crafts/knitting_crochetting/entrelac004.html)

more details here:
http://public.fotki.com/enigm7a/other_crafts/knitting_crochetting/

Thanks for the fun new challenge,
sasha

chee7e
03-12-2007, 04:17 PM
Friskums, your pillow is sooo beautiful!

feminine_earth
03-12-2007, 04:47 PM
feminine_earth~ that is really pretty :heart: .. I love the colors!!.. is that the Patons SWS? I have only used the Natural.. I have to order it online so I have not seen all the colors at once in person.. I don't need anymore.. suppose to be stash busting... :teehee:
Yep, it's Patons! I think it's the Natural Pink color...I picked up three skeins of it a few months ago just because it looked soooo pretty, even though at the time, I had nothing to knit with it! I guess I was just meant to do an entrelac project sometime in the future. :teehee:

Friskums
03-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Thanks everyone. :oops: :muah:

heykaren
03-12-2007, 05:49 PM
I´m a bit stuck right now - hope someone can help me. sorry if someone has already asked this question.....

I´m in Section 3 on the First Square. On my needle I had one stitch left over from the Right edge Triangle after breaking the yarn. I knit this and then picked up 9 stitches from the last triangle. Am I supposed to knit one of the stitches from the center square and then pass the last stitch over it?

I´m also not sure about the "ssk" in the following rows. I looked at the definition in Knitty, but am not sure I understand it. Am I using the stitches from the center square?

help...... :pout: Karen

Friskums
03-12-2007, 06:16 PM
I´m a bit stuck right now - hope someone can help me. sorry if someone has already asked this question.....

I´m in Section 3 on the First Square. On my needle I had one stitch left over from the Right edge Triangle after breaking the yarn. I knit this and then picked up 9 stitches from the last triangle. Am I supposed to knit one of the stitches from the center square and then pass the last stitch over it?

I´m also not sure about the "ssk" in the following rows. I looked at the definition in Knitty, but am not sure I understand it. Am I using the stitches from the center square?

help...... :pout: Karen
After you have picked up the stitches, then you turn and purl(or knit) back across the row. Turn again, knit across and then, using the last stitch on the row you just knit across and the first stitch from the next square(the center one, I'm assuming from your question), slip them both onto the right needle and then knit them together.

Make sense?

heykaren
03-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Yes, it makes sense, but it sounds nothing like what they´ve written in the directions. So the "SSK" is kinda like a k2tog? Karen

BTW - thanks! :muah:

Friskums
03-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Kinda. It slants a different way than k2tog. But, yeah, once you get the two stitches on the right needle you k2tog. :thumbsup:

(If it still doesn't make sense, take a look at the video. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/decrease.php) :) ]

heykaren
03-12-2007, 06:25 PM
:pout: Can´t look at the video at home - my dial up is just too slow... but if I remember will try to watch it at the library later in the week.