PDA

View Full Version : My New Sock Yarn

landolphe
02-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Today, I bought my first sock yarn at my new LYS. :cheering:

It's Schoeller-Stahl's Big Print, a nice self-striping, multi-tone red US 5 superwash. There was not a whole lot to choose from in US size 5. Shop owner specializes in socks and had hundreds of great yarns in sizes 1-4, mostly size 2. I envisioned all too many stitches on size 2 needles for my first pair, so I went with the size 5.

She said that size 2 socks averaged about 27,000 sts per pair, and that starting out with a heavier yarn might protect me against "S.S.S. - Second Sock Syndrome", a kind of knitter's remorse. I hope so. I need a project to animate me a bit, after working (still) on the Cursed Ribbon Yarn Triangular Shawl from Hell since before Valentine's Day.

I have a long, long size 5 Magic Loop needle, 2 size 5 circs, and a new set of five 5" size 5 bamboo DPNs. I knitted up a coupla inches in 2x2 ribbing with each technique just to be sure I understood each method. The 2 circs seemed to be the faster of the three and seemed more logical. Do not appreciate any advantages of the ML method (?). The self-styled "empress of socks" at the LYS said that she has never appreciated the value of MLK for socks, and uses either 2 circs or DPNs, depending on the yarn and pattern. DPNs are fun and very portable. I may try switching from one to another, unless someone here cautions me against such folly. :teehee:

I know I am a happier knitter without that dreaded shawl for a while, so I'm ready to "soc it to 'em".

Landolphe

auburnchick
02-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Nice yarn. Thanks for your thoughts of each method. I'm very interested in learning ML having gotten the hang of dpns.

Enjoy your sock-making!

lauraknits
02-28-2007, 08:52 PM
sock it up! And do it however you like!

I have tried both magic loop and dpn's and so far I like magic loop better, but I didnt hate dpn's. I am a beginning sock knitter too. I did one in dk weight yarn (silver sock tutorial) on DPN's and got second sock syndrome. Now I am using tiny yarn using size 0 needles (I am a loose knitter, prob most people would have used 1s or 2s for this yarn) and i am doing ML. It IS a LOT of tiny stitches! I can't do too much at once, I can see this is going to take a while!

five_six
03-01-2007, 12:02 AM
I don't know, i've tried dpn's, 2 circs and magic loop and i just :heart: magic loop.

These will be a change for you Landolphe... where are the size 500 needles :teehee:

KellyK
03-01-2007, 04:00 AM
I have eliminated any potential for SSS by purchasing 2 sets of each sock-sized DPNs. I work back & forth between the 2 socks, dividing the parts as follows: the ribbing, the cuff (or half of the cuff), the heel flap/turn/picking up gusset sts, gusset decreases, the feet, the toe decreases, and finally the grafting... I end up with a pair finished all at once!

I've tried 2 circs, and its not my preferred method (DPNs make me feel FAHNCY 8-) ). But as with almost everything in knitting, its a personal preference issue. :shrug:

I hope you REALLY enjoy your socksperience!! :cheering:

Doublereeder2
03-01-2007, 11:00 AM
I have eliminated any potential for SSS by purchasing 2 sets of each sock-sized DPNs. I work back & forth between the 2 socks, dividing the parts as follows: the ribbing, the cuff (or half of the cuff), the heel flap/turn/picking up gusset sts, gusset decreases, the feet, the toe decreases, and finally the grafting... I end up with a pair finished all at once!

That's how I knit socks too! I love finishing both near or at the same time. Then they go directly to my feet :heart:

I started on DPNS and could not get the hang of them, so I knit numerous toe-up on 2 circs. But some of the patterns I wanted to knit needed cuff down, so I switched. Then I decided to try DPNs again (after 1 1/2 years ) and now love them. It is all a matter of personal preference.

I do want to try the Magic Loop just to see....

auburnchick
03-01-2007, 11:42 AM

I've tried 2 circs, and its not my preferred method (DPNs make me feel FAHNCY 8-) ). But as with almost everything in knitting, its a personal preference issue. :shrug:

I hope you REALLY enjoy your socksperience!! :cheering:

Kelly,

You are so smart! I never thought of buying another set of DPNs just to create them at the same time. DUH! I just finished a sock and am so ready to wear it...it's my favorite one thus far, but ALAS, I must begin the mate.

And I TOTALLY :heart: the way I look holding 4 needles going in different directions. :teehee:

But, like DoubleReeder2, I want to try ML just to see the difference. I just received my longer cables (40", 47", and 60"). I'm going to do my next pair using ML. Which size cables should I use?

Markette
03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
I like working on DPNs, too, but it took some getting used to. Having a few breaks in a round makes me feel like I've accomplished something every time I get to the end of a needle. And I've found that I like knitting on tiny needles, too, and am faster at it, probably because of the conserved movement. After knitting a sock on size 1s, I went back to my sweater on size 10s and it felt like trying to write with one of those fat kiddie pencils.

landolphe
03-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Kelly's idea of working on two sets of DPNs at same time is brilliant solution to SSS. :cheering:

To all who prefer ML over 2 circ method: can you explain what it is about ML that makes it more appealing? It seems to be exactly the same as the 2 circ way, but involves additional movement to reposition the long cord (I was using a 32" cord), in contrast to just picking up the 2nd circ needle.

Landolphe

losnana
03-01-2007, 08:05 PM
I like to do both socks at the same time. It just seemed easier to buy 2 long needles in one size than 4. I've never tried 2 circs, but greatly prefer ML over DPNs. I'm too uncoordinated for DPNs. Purely personal preference.