PDA

View Full Version : FO Allover Cabled Scarf With Fringe

DudeWithSticks
03-01-2007, 02:15 AM
My first cable project... I didn't know that cables rolled so badly. Didn't use wool so couldn't really block it. Gonna try to anyway and see if it helps a little bit.

3 Skeins of Patons "Rumor" Alpaca Blend in Fern Heather

More soon...!

knitqueen
03-01-2007, 02:32 AM
It really is lovely though, even with the rolling. The yarn colour is gorgeous and I really like the fringe.

If it was an all-over cable with knit stitches on the right side and purls on the wrong side, that's why it curled. It's just a variation on stockinette stitch. Cables that have wider bands of purls in between would act more like a rib stitch and wouldn't curl.

Gorgeous scarf, nevertheless!! :D

Jan in CA
03-01-2007, 03:31 AM
Wow, awesome work, Dude!

Ronda
03-01-2007, 06:39 AM
I think it's great!

AnotherBecca
03-01-2007, 07:06 AM
That's awesome!

blueeyes28
03-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Great scarf! And photos :eyebrow: keep up the good work!

Hazelgil
03-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Great scarf!!!
Well done at trying cables, I have yet to be brave enough to try these :pout:
Love the photos too :heart:

Keep up the good work,
Hazel x

rorygilmore
03-01-2007, 10:41 AM
WOW! That is great. I really like the fringe, I suck at fringe. :cheering:

stacy.duval
03-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Great scarf, but you are having entirely too much fun tormenting that poor guy! LOL! :teehee:

AnreeAce
03-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Great scarf! Love the colors!

Another thing you might try to prevent rolling is a 5 stitch garter or seed-stitch border on either side. I made a cable scarf for my mom that had a seed-stitch border and it doesn't roll at all.

DudeWithSticks
03-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey All,

Thanks for all the really cool advice and compliments. It's great that there is a forum here that people can show their work, ask for help and get the support that everyone deserves and needs.

I'll try that seed stitch or garter stitch the next time I do an allover cable. Great advice, and to all you newbies like me, Amy gave some great advice, slip the first stitch on every new row and it makes for a great look afterward. Will try and show you what it looks like in my next posts.

And yes, I am using and abusing my poor model. And you'll be seeing a few more of him in my next few projects.... :P

Thanks again for all the nice words and replies.

Gino

mwedzi
03-01-2007, 03:06 PM
And yes, I am using and abusing my poor model. And you'll be seeing a few more of him in my next few projects.... :P

Gino

Hey, that's his job. And besides, I don't mind seeing more of him. :eyebrow:

I love the scarf, though, and I like Rumor, too. The super heavy fringe is, I think, a fabulous touch.

Nikita-amimono
03-01-2007, 03:57 PM

I agree with you :teehee:

Niki

Stiney
03-01-2007, 04:00 PM

I agree with you :teehee:

Niki

Me three. :drool:

saracidaltendencies
03-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Wow, impressive! Great work!

saracidaltendencies
03-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Forgot to mention I love the pics too, do you do your own photography?

Stiney
03-01-2007, 04:38 PM
And I forgot mention that the scarf is gorgeous!

Did you get the pattern from somewhere or just start cabling your own design?

DudeWithSticks
03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Yes, I do my own photography... :)

And I will try and find the pattern... I think that I got it from Readers Digest Knit and Crochet Stitches.

It's just one of their patterns. I'll look for it and post it here.

Thanks again for all the kind words!

mks22300
03-01-2007, 08:21 PM
I love the colours and the scarf...plus the model isn't half bad either! :teehee:

DudeWithSticks
03-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Here is the stitch pattern for the allover cable.

Multiples of 6 stitches. I think that I casted on 36 stitches.

1st Row: Knit
2nd and Every Alt Row: Purl
3rd Row: *K2, C4B; rep from* to end.
5th Row: Knit
7th Row: *C4F; k2; rep from* to end.
8th Row: Purl

Rep these 8 rows.

Note:

C4B (Cable 4 Back)=slip two stitches onto cable needle and hold to back of work, knit next two sts from left-hand needle, then knit the sts from the cable needle.

C4F (Cable 4 Front)=slip two stitches onto cable needle and hold to front of work, knit next two sts from left-hand needle, then knit the sts from the cable needle.

Remember if you don't want it to curl like the photos, I would knit or seed stitch the first five stitches and the last five stitches... That means you must allow for the extra stitches. So that will make it 6+10. You would knit or seed stitch the first five stitches, then follow the pattern then knit or seed stitch the last five stitches. (wish I would have thought of that when I did mine)

For all you newbies like me, that means... if you wanted to cast on from the original pattern 18 stitches that means you have to add 10 more stitches for the border. (five on each side then follow the pattern above)

So all you have to remember is figure out your cast on in increments of 6 then just add 10 more to your cast on. I hope that makes sense and I didn't confuse anyone.

6+10
12+10
18+10
24+10
30+10

Follow me? :)

I am sure one of the more experienced knitters out there could explain it better.

saracidaltendencies
03-02-2007, 01:07 AM
Yes, I do my own photography... :)

And I will try and find the pattern... I think that I got it from Readers Digest Knit and Crochet Stitches.

It's just one of their patterns. I'll look for it and post it here.

Thanks again for all the kind words!

I love the pictures. I love the contrast between the background, the model and the scarf. Truly effective!

knit-a-holic
03-02-2007, 01:21 AM
The scarf is beautiful! I love the green. Great work!

kblue
03-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Awesome job!!! Awesome model too :eyebrow:

Birdy
03-02-2007, 05:16 PM
I really like this scarf!

And the fringe! Wow! I don't typically like them... but I think that is because I don't commit to them. I am going to try a real fringe on my next scarf.