PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Case

saracidaltendencies
03-01-2007, 12:10 PM
First off, I must apologize for how sporadically I am here...However, I've been learning more and more and just recently (as in the past week...haha) have gotten intarsia down...lol...I have no idea why, but I had the hardest time trying to get it right, despite Amy's wonderful video! Anyway, finally, after months (I know, sad...haha) I have intarsia figured out! I knew I would be smacking myself once I got the hang of it because I knew it would be easy and I'd be like "how on earth did I ever have trouble with this?!"

Quickly, a little background...Hubby and I had gone to Best Buy recently and I was looking through the cell phone cases. I found absolutely nothing I would buy. They were either too big, too small, too ugly, too expensive or leather (I don't buy leather/suede, etc...). The sales girl comes over and asked me if I needed help since she noticed I had been looking through the cases for FOREVER! Well, I was talking to her about my case "dilemma" (lol) when all of a sudden, it hit me...DUH, I could just knit my own! Well, after my genius (hahaha) idea, hubby said he wanted one too...We wanted a skull and crossbones "picture" on it, but I had nooo idea how to do intarsia so I decided I'd just go for knitting the case in stockinette, and actually knit the "picture" into the case (since I had done something similar from the Stitch n Bitch book when learning to knit). Well, I completed one side of it and I thought it turned out TERRIBLE! Hubby asked me, well, can't you just knit the skull into the case with a different color and I was like...uhhhhhh...no...lol...Well, I decided, after many previous failed attempts, I'd try it again...I watched Amy's video again, found written instructions watched a couple more videos and finally was like ok, I think I can...lol...So, I tried and my god, it was SO EASY! A little annoying with all the tails dangling around, but easy...lol...So, without further ado, here's my second try at intarsia!

ShellChelle
03-01-2007, 12:56 PM
What a cool looking case! When I think of skull and crossbones, pink is no the first color that comes to mind. . . so I LOVE THAT!

hydeemarie
03-01-2007, 12:57 PM
That is awesome... considering that I like skulls :heart: :heart: :heart: ... actually, i love them!! ha that is cute!!

mdog182
03-01-2007, 02:09 PM
good job with the intarsia!! it looks so cute, the way the stitches are it kinda looks like the eyes and nose are heart shaped.

saracidaltendencies
03-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Thank you all!

Yeah, after I took the pics of it, I realized that too, that the nose and eyes look heart shaped...lol...

Jessica Cobb
03-02-2007, 02:38 AM
Aw I love that! You did an awesom job.

knit-a-holic
03-02-2007, 03:22 AM
That is cute!! I love it!

AnotherBecca
03-02-2007, 05:56 AM
Very cool!

Ronda
03-02-2007, 07:38 AM
Cool! My kids would love this!

kblue
03-02-2007, 12:35 PM
I have no idea why i haven't made a cell phone case yet :?? m poor cell phone is totally scratched up :teehee: You did a great job.

EssenceRose
03-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Oh I like it!! I really like the wrist strap that is weaved into the top, too! It gives it a little bit of something extra. :) Well done!

saracidaltendencies
03-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Thank you all!

Yeah, I was quite shocked today when I visited another forum I frequent and had uploaded that pic in my "Art Gallery" there...I had 3 offers from people wanting me to quote them prices!! Looks like this stay at home mommy might get a second job after all! :happydance:

VictoiseC
03-05-2007, 07:03 PM
That's so cool, esp people wanting to pay your for them! Congratulations! I made a BUNCH of these last summer to try and sell at a farmer's market but it didn't go over too well. But I'll try again this summer. here's a few of them, but I got better and now do them with a cat image! (I love cats)

DreamWeaver
03-05-2007, 10:32 PM
It looks very nice! I would never use it because I'm not a very "skull and crossbones" kind of girl, but it still looks nice :thumbsup:

and VictoiseC... wow. Just... wow :noway:

saracidaltendencies
03-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Those look great!

SabrinaJL
03-06-2007, 12:32 AM
My daughter would love that.

I can't quite get intarsia figured out yet though. Maybe I'll check out Amy's videos again.

saracidaltendencies
03-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Yeah, it took me a loooooooong time to finally get the hang of it...lol