PDA

View Full Version : What are you "scared" to knit?

stacyk9
03-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Do any of you have something on your to-knit-list, but are scared to start it? I sure do, of course I'm a beginning knitter, so I'm kinda scared to knit much of anything at this point. Anyway, I REALLY want to do theMonk's Travel Satchel (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_4944911,00.html). I think it would be a great bag for my knitting stuff, but also thought about making them as Christmas presents for my nieces to use as school bags! Since Christmas is so far away, hopefully I'll get confident enough to tackle it.

Stacy

Kaydee
03-01-2007, 03:28 PM
I'd love to knit this (http://www.magknits.com/Jan06/patterns/blossom.htm) dress for my niece but I'm way too scared even though it says its simple. I'm also scared to try any kind of sweater. I guess I've gotta get over the hump and just try it!!

Braden
03-01-2007, 03:30 PM
I have a list of what I am going to knit next, but I'm not really scared to start anything, but I have been knitting for quite a while. :shrug:

HeatherFeather
03-01-2007, 03:54 PM
steeking and complicated fair isle..

and not that I'm afraid, but it seems complicated, adn I can't do complicated right now...but entrelach....YIKES>

Stiney
03-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Only steeking. How could I cut something I knit? The stitches, the stitches!!!!

Everything else is just knits and purls. You make a mistake, you fix it or start over. :shrug: Nothing to be scared of, it's not like someone would die if I dropped a stitch.

MamaMer
03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
A garmet for myself. I am fluffy, so getting stuff to fit is sometimes hard. So i just make stuff for other people!

mwedzi
03-01-2007, 04:17 PM
In the words of a great (?) man, "do your thing, don't be skeered". Success at knitting is all in the mindset, I believe. I think I'm afraid of steeks, so I really should knit a little something up and just cut it for practice. Other than that, can't say I'm scared of anything. I haven't done intarsia yet, not so much cuz I'm scared, but more that I imagine it will be annoying.

Oh wait, I know. I don't feel up to super complicated lace patterns. Yeah, pretty convinced I'll fail. And therefore, I will.

syndactylus
03-01-2007, 04:32 PM
right now I am scared to knit one of the sweaters I have yarn lying in wait for, because it is 50% mohair and if I mess up, I will ruin the yarn.

I am going to buy some cheap indestructible reject yarn to practice with first, I think.

KathyinCali
03-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Entrelac still eludes me even though I took a private lesson to learn. I don't know if I'd call myself "scared" but it makes me nervous because I still can't get it to click in my head. :gah: Of course having said that, I'm joining the March challenge.

With socks I was really nervous, but now I've just resigned myself I am not meant to actually finish a sock but just get so far and the frog it ::sigh:: It is really teaching me patience.

Happy knitting :)

saracidaltendencies
03-01-2007, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't say it's so much that I'm scared to knit anything, rather too impatient to knit anything in depth...lol...I think a garter stitch baby blanket is the biggest project I have done or even desired to tackle...lol...There are tons of things I like to or would like to knit, but they are all small projects. Possibly because I have 2 little ones and don't really have a lot of time for anything too big, and, I run the risk of my son finding another project and deciding to take it off the needles!!! He has a bad habit of getting into my knitting stuff :wall:

nadja la claire
03-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Sweaters and heel gussets. Sweaters because I hate seaming and I have no idea how to do the sleeves and gussets because I just don't get it. :wall: I've tried to do the gusset with no luck, I just end up :frog: and feeling like an idiot.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Mulderknitter
03-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I was just talking about this with a friend of mine. I'm not actually scared to knit something, I'm more scared of what the end result will look like! :roflhard: Now that I've gotten into the habit of buying really nice yarn, I hate to try to make something and have it turn out :ick: and feel like I've wasted really pretty yarn...I felt that way about sewing too and wasting pretty fabric, but I got the hang of it so I guess I can with knitting too.... :frog:

KathyinCali
03-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Sweaters and heel gussets. Sweaters because I hate seaming and I have no idea how to do the sleeves and gussets because I just don't get it. :wall: I've tried to do the gusset with no luck, I just end up :frog: and feeling like an idiot.

Nadja xxx

I'm with your Nadja. After getting to a certain point on a sock then ending up frogging it countless (and I do mean countless) times, I finally have learned to put in a lifeline. It is SO much better than having to start all over again....I don't frog any less but it's less disheartening.

kellyh57
03-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Sweaters, socks, entralac...

I hate seaming and have two bags STILL in my case waiting for seaming. (They have to be almost a year old now!) I should just buckle down and do one of the no-seam sweaters I found.

Socks- can't imagine all that time on something for my feet! And you all keep talking about frogging them :(

Entralac- It just looks hard. And, I've heard not to think about it, just knit. I'm not that kind of person. I have to know how and why.

Kelly

DianaM
03-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Do any of you have something on your to-knit-list, but are scared to start it? I sure do, of course I'm a beginning knitter, so I'm kinda scared to knit much of anything at this point. Anyway, I REALLY want to do theMonk's Travel Satchel (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_4944911,00.html). I think it would be a great bag for my knitting stuff, but also thought about making them as Christmas presents for my nieces to use as school bags! Since Christmas is so far away, hopefully I'll get confident enough to tackle it.

Stacy

There's a KAL for the monk satchel here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14350). It's saddly moving very slowly, but you can read up on some of our train of thoughts.

As for my fears, it would be both entrelac and lace.

EssenceRose
03-01-2007, 06:53 PM
There are SO many sweaters and baby cardigans I'd love to try, but I'm just too scared to attempt it! In reality, I know have the "skill"... I mean, I've done socks and hats and scarves and blankets blah blah. But the thought of attempting a sweater puts me right off. I keep telling myself "one day! One day I will knit a sweater!"

But that one day is far away, I think. LOL

JoeE
03-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Anything that involves multi colors. I *might* try stripes, but I'm even a little timid about that. Fair Isle is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen--probably because I believe it's waaaaay out of my league.

auburnchick
03-01-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm very nervous about knitting sweaters as well. It seems too much like "sewing."

I'm currently working on my third pair of socks using dpns. I would love to learn ML but am a little hesitant even though I just bought three longer cables just for this.

losnana
03-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Since I learned about life lines on this forum, most of my fears have disappeared. As long as I keep the lifeline in, I figure I can always frog back to it and reknit.

jeanius80
03-01-2007, 08:09 PM
entrelac..soooo pretty :wall:

madametj
03-01-2007, 08:09 PM
sweaters, entrelac, fair isle, socks...i finally learned cables though! :cheering:

ekgheiy
03-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Steeks

Entrelac

:passedout:

:teehee:

Cristy
03-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Enterlac--I've tried and failed so I'm about to try again.

Fair Isle--I'm terrified...I'm thinking of asking dh to pay for a private lesson or two at the LYS to learn it...I really want to learn but I'm afriad....

That's all I can think of for now but I'm sure there are things that I don't even know about yet that will scare me...

bip
03-01-2007, 10:41 PM
I want to do my first pair of socks ... and I want to do them magic loop one inside the other. I am not positive that I am scared to try it, but the yarn, needles, pattern and one-inside-the-other instructions have been sitting there for about 2 months and I haven't attempted them yet. On the other hand, I have a lot of projects in my backlog. But back on the first hand, I suspect the main reason I haven't started them is because I am intimidated (and I don't want to do a normal one-at-at-time pair first, I want to do it all in one shot).

Maybe next month, I've got too much on the needles right now!

hunterjenn
03-01-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm scared to see how my two-at-a-time socks will turn out!! I'm really too crazy to realize when something should scare me, so I'll try just about anything. This has been the first project, though, that I've felt unsure about halfway through. Seriously, what the heck am I doing?

Rorshach
03-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Ironically enough, I don't think there isn't anything that I'm scared to knit, One thing that I've found out though, is that a lot of the items I've read from you all like fair isle, socks, sweaters etc. looks hard, but really isn't. Best thing to do I've also found is ask the advice of someone who's already done it, and to not be afraid of making mistakes. :)

MoniDew
03-01-2007, 11:44 PM
aran is tricky for me. One pattern, I can memorize and repeat. Two or three, maybe. Five or six, keeping track of which row of each I am on (especially after a repeat or two, and all of them are different amounts of rows before they repeat...) OH, the insanity!
________
Toyota g1 (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_G1)

Rorshach
03-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Best way I've found for knitting Aran knits, is to use a chart. I find it to be much easier to keep track of my place.

Lieke
03-02-2007, 01:16 AM
well, I'm a bit scared to start on my fair isle sweater, since that's the only thing I want to knit, but haven't tried yet. But I will start on it soon, because I know there's nothing to be afraid of.

suzeeq
03-02-2007, 01:49 AM
I'm not `afraid' to knit anything; I'm pretty sure I can do just about any pattern. There's a lot I just don't want to knit - fair isle (too fiddly), steeking (cut my work!?), felting (too much trouble). I may do some housesocks, but I don't care to work on itty bitty needles, so I'll do something on size 9 or 10s and forget about regular socks.

sue

Jessica Cobb
03-02-2007, 02:18 AM
A garmet for myself. I am fluffy, so getting stuff to fit is sometimes hard. So i just make stuff for other people!

'I am fluffy' - I love it! I say that sometimes too. :teehee:

Jan in CA
03-02-2007, 02:44 AM
I'm not actually afraid to do anything anymore. I'm doing my first entrelac right now and it's pretty fun, but you do have to concentrate. As for sweaters and seaming... one word.. SEAMLESS!! Woohoo! Try it! It's so easy!

aineepooh1
03-02-2007, 02:54 AM
Intarsia~ needles smaller than size 8 and cables.. although I am not as afraid of trying cables as I once was~~! I am slowly working up the nerve~ :oops:

DreamWeaver
03-02-2007, 03:12 AM
Hmmm... I guess I'm scared of entrelic, afgans, and fair isle

entrelic-- Untill a little while ago I didn't even know what entrelic WAS, let alone know how to do it. I think it looks breath taking, but I just don't get how you do it ^_^;;

afgans-- so... much... knitting :thud: I think I'd abandon it, like, five times before it was finally finished. I don't have a very good attention span..

fair isle: I thought I knew how to do this, but it turnes out I was just stranding, not fair isle-ing (is that a word?). Seriously, what's the difference?

humblestumble
03-02-2007, 03:19 AM
Rogue from girlfromauntie.com

Ronda
03-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I'm scared to knit my current project. I'm working on an entrelac purse. I've gotten so far, and I've STOPPED. I'm unsure what to do next, so instead of figuring it out or going back to the LYS to get help, the project is sitting on my table and I stare at it every time I walk by. :verysad:

nadja la claire
03-02-2007, 09:38 AM

entrelic-- Untill a little while ago I didn't even know what entrelic WAS, let alone know how to do it. I think it looks breath taking, but I just don't get how you do it ^_^;;

afgans-- so... much... knitting :thud: I think I'd abandon it, like, five times before it was finally finished. I don't have a very good attention span..

fair isle: I thought I knew how to do this, but it turnes out I was just stranding, not fair isle-ing (is that a word?). Seriously, what's the difference?

I to fear the Fair Isle. I haven't the slightest idea how to even begin.

Fear not the afghan. The secret to them is to have at least one other project going at the same time just to give yourself a break and to keep from getting bored.

Nadja xxx

nadja la claire
03-02-2007, 09:53 AM
What, pray tell is "steeking" :?? :shrug:

Nadja xxx

feminine_earth
03-02-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm pretty good at following directions, so I'm not really "afraid" to knit anything. Also, I tend to think with my fingers, not my brain, so mindlessly following patterns works pretty good for me. :teehee:

One thing I'm a little nervous of is following those cable charts. I go all cross-eyed just thinking about it. :zombie:

There are also many things that I just have no desire to knit, simply because of the amount of concentration involved. Lace, for example. Lace is gorgeous, but impractical for me, so I probably won't ever get around to trying it unless someone would like it as a gift.

P.S. For those of you afraid to try entrelac...don't be! I just started knitting back in September, and right now I'm working on the Danica scarf. It is SUPER easy, as long as you just follow the pattern and don't think about it too much. I promise it's not hard at all. It's just knitting, purling, and picking up stitches. It's also not boring, which is a plus for me because I have trouble finishing boring knitting. :teehee:

suzeeq
03-02-2007, 10:42 AM

Try this month's KH knitting challenge. They're doing entrelac so there's lots of help available with answers to the same questions you might have.

sue

MoniDew
03-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Best way I've found for knitting Aran knits, is to use a chart. I find it to be much easier to keep track of my place.

You know, I SUCK at charts! Funny. I consider myself a fairly intellegent human being. I am so much better at READING and following the written instructions, but the charts are so confusing. I think it's the purl side that gets me. I do okay on the knit side, where I'm "reading" left to right, as normal. The patterns where the purl side is just "purl accross," I'm okay, but I am soooooo lost reading right to left for the purl side. Especially with yo's, p2t tbl, or anything like that. :wall:

Makes me feel so STUPID!
________
Magic flight launch box (http://mflbvaporizer.com)

Knitting_Guy
03-02-2007, 10:48 PM
I was thinking about knitting myself a girlfriend but I'm skeered she may not like me and I'd have to frog her. :pout:

Stiney
03-02-2007, 10:53 PM
I was thinking about knitting myself a girlfriend but I'm skeered she may not like me and I'd have to frog her. :pout:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

cookworm
03-02-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm also scared to try any kind of sweater.

Me too. :verysad:

Braden
03-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Afghans. I'm not really scared to knit them, it's just that they take so LONG!

feminine_earth
03-02-2007, 11:58 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Braden
03-03-2007, 12:02 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

auburnchick
03-03-2007, 12:06 AM

You know how complicated women are. You would probably have problems deciphering the pattern and just give up out of frustration. :teehee:

Ingrid
03-03-2007, 12:22 AM

You know how complicated women are. You would probably have problems deciphering the pattern and just give up out of frustration. :teehee:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I ain't skeered of nothin!!! Knitted, that is! 8)

hunterjenn
03-03-2007, 12:28 AM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Mason!! :roflhard: :roflhard: You kill me!