PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviation confusion

eowynabc
03-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Hi All!

I'm knew to the forum, and very excited to join in the knitting chat! I have a question that I think is probably pretty obvious, but it has me stumped. I'm knitting a pair of fingerless gloves, and I'm on the thumb; one row has the instructions pm, which I just learned means place marker...the next row has the instructions sm, which i learned means slip marker...but it's at a place where I had no marker previously. Does this mean I should add a marker, subtract a marker, or do something else entirely? I would really appreciate any input anyone has! Thanks,

Allison

zkimom
03-01-2007, 09:06 PM
It may mean that you made a mistake in a prior row. If there is an instruction to slip the marker, you have to have worked the stitches up to the point where there is a marker already placed.

:shrug:

You may have to unknit a row or two to see that you followed the directions correctly.

Sorry,
Susan

eowynabc
03-01-2007, 09:19 PM
So does sm mean to slip the marker from one needle to the next? Or just remove it completely?

suzeeq
03-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Right, sm means move it to the other needle; rm is used to mean remove marker.

sue

eowynabc
03-09-2007, 03:51 AM
Ok, I scrapped a few rows and figured it out. The directions weren't super clear, but it all came together in the end. Thanks for the words of wisdom.