PDA

View Full Version : Other Hobbies

Braden
03-03-2007, 12:00 AM
I love knitting. I also do lots of crochet, and a little cross stitch. What does everyone else like to do?

auburnchick
03-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Well, before starting college classes last summer, I used to read constantly. Now I just cannot bring myself to pick up anything, unless it's a sock pattern book. ;)

I've done the cross-stitching thing on and off for years. Last summer I finished a ginormous project that took me three years (off and on) to finish. Never again (although it does look good hanging over the fireplace).

That's about it. My children keep me busy running around all of the time.

Ingrid
03-03-2007, 12:10 AM
I apparently collect yarn as well as knit with it. :teehee:

knit-a-holic
03-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Before I started to knit, I first learned to crochet when I was in my teenage years. I wish I hadn't stopped, because I've forgotten the basics of crocheting. I want to re-learn crochet again. I have tried to crochet granny squares, but it didn't come out that great. I guess it just takes practice, like everything else. :teehee: I guess my main hobby is knitting.. xxx

joe_doufu
03-03-2007, 12:15 AM
I dance Argentine tango.

Jess_knit
03-03-2007, 12:20 AM
I've been in the middle of a large crocheted afghan for a while..I pick it up every now and then and do a few rows, then go back to my knitting. I also do small cross-stitch patterns sometimes.

Aside from crafty things...reading. Reading everything I can get my hands on. Linked to the reading, I also write on and off.

feminine_earth
03-03-2007, 12:22 AM
I knit, sew, work with silk flowers, and I'm hoping to start making jewelry and sculpting with polymer clay. :)

I also sing, but now that the beauty pageant and talent show days are long gone, the singing usually takes place in the shower and the car. :teehee:

hunterjenn
03-03-2007, 12:30 AM
I sew. And reupholster things. And remodel things. And sing and play the piano. And keep my laptop on all day so I can giggle at KHers!

hunterjenn
03-03-2007, 12:31 AM
I dance Argentine tango.

Sweet! Will you teach my husband? I'll send him right over. :teehee:

joe_doufu
03-03-2007, 12:37 AM
I dance Argentine tango.

Just fly him down to Buenos Aires for a "tango camp" or something. They'll love him there, I hear there are thousands of American women and far fewer english-speaking men.

joe_doufu
03-03-2007, 12:39 AM
I dance Argentine tango.

Just fly him down to Buenos Aires for a "tango camp" or something. They'll love him there, I hear there are thousands of American women and far fewer english-speaking men.

Ooops... I mean only that they will be eager for dancing partners, of course!

hunterjenn
03-03-2007, 12:51 AM
I dance Argentine tango.

Ooops... I mean only that they will be eager for dancing partners, of course!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Next time I'm not in the mood, I know what to do!! :oops: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Aquaria
03-03-2007, 01:02 AM
What a good thread! :teehee:
I like knitting, but I also like lots and LOTS of other craft making, etc.
I also crochet, I make jewelry, I play the piano, and I love anything to do with art! :rofl:

Well, but because of this I still don't know what I'm gonna do in the future... I have waaaaay too many hobbies :oops: :teehee:

knit-errant
03-03-2007, 10:11 AM
I do a lot of beading and chainmaille work. I also crochet quite a bit, I do a little embroidery and am learning to sew.

For non-crafty hobbies, I like to garden, cook, and work on cars -- my husband and I are working on fixing up his Bradley GT II, then we're going to work on a '49 Olds four-door fastback. Whee!

Brrlracinbt
03-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I knit and barrel race.

Knitting_Guy
03-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Besides knitting my hobbies include a lot of computer related (read geeky) stuff involving Linux, as well as many outdoor activities like camping and hiking (not so much since I busted my pelvis/hip), recumbent bicycling, reading, writing, and beer drinking.

sittenknitten
03-03-2007, 11:05 AM
I only started to knit a couple of years ago. It has totally ruined my figure. :teehee:

Gardening is my main passion, and I do all the yardwork and landscaping on our 1.5 acres, but it's only half of the year. I get a membership at our local gym during the winter and work out in order to avoid becoming a couch cushion. I used to downhill ski during the winter as well, but after a knee injury in January 2006 I haven't been back on the slopes.

I painted my entire house last summer, does that count? I can crochet a little and make soap with stuff from the garden.

Knitting and barrel racing, now THAT's a combination. :happydance: It's been close to 20 years since we sold all our horses, but I used to barrel race too. I never had any trouble keeping in shape with the horses around. :heart:

Nikki
03-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Gardening is my main passion,

Thank goodness, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one around here who loved dirty hands. I raise roses, veggies and herbs. I started knitting `cause I was getting fidgety in the winter. I sew some but for me it's sort of boring. I read lots and my DH has taught me to enjoy watching football with him during the fall.

Nikita-amimono
03-03-2007, 11:31 AM
I love Hardanger embroidery, crocheting, and beading.

For non-crafty hobbies, I love reading novels, running, snow skiing, roller-blading and visiting historical sites here in Europe.

I would like to improve my skill in roller-blade, but there isn't good place to skate in my neighborhood. (I live in a small village) :shrug:
I'm afraid of falling on asphalt. :oo:

Niki xxx

DianaM
03-03-2007, 12:44 PM
I dance Argentine tango.

My bf and I have spoken about taking lessons for this ^^
I just need the Air Force to let him stay in the US long enough for us to do that.

As for my hobbies, yarn-wise I crochet.
Non-yarn hobbies include cooking, reading, writing, drawing and some that I haven't done for a while, like acting and mask-making.

joe_doufu
03-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Besides knitting my hobbies include .... beer drinking.
Is beer drinking a hobby? I guess I've dabbled in a little of that myself!

Knitting_Guy
03-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Besides knitting my hobbies include .... beer drinking.
Is beer drinking a hobby? I guess I've dabbled in a little of that myself!

It's a hobby if you do it right :rofl:

aineepooh1
03-03-2007, 01:47 PM
I am learning to crochet right now~ I also do some rubber stamping for cards and gifts. I used to paint wooden figures (bought at the craft shop) and decorate the house with them. Buts since kntting that has went by the wayside. I also do some t shirt decorating~ ie transfers, puff paint ant decorating them to my liking. I did a really cute pumpkin top and bottom for my nephew when he was about 2yr. I wish I had taken a picture :doh:
I exercise, diet and go to my WW meetings religously.

Miss Moosey
03-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Baking bread is my hobby. I like the way it makes my room smell and kneading dough is an excellent way of getting anger and frustration out of my system. Not to mention that toast is one of my favorite foods...

Rebecca

SabrinaJL
03-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Other than knitting, I read. A lot. I also scrapbook and play TS2. I've TRIED many things (cross-stitch, glass painting, soap and candle making, to name a few). I've just picked up about 40 blocks of polymer clay and clay tools, so that's going to be the next thing I try. I have a very short attention span unless it comes to reading and knitting.

zkimom
03-03-2007, 03:14 PM
I am a photographer -- here is my Imagekind site: Susan's Photography (http://SusanPszenitzki.imagekind.com/Photography)

I have a slew of pictures that I took of my knitting and I even made cards to sell at my LYS over the holidays.

I don't have the yarn pics or the cards online yet but hopefully I will soon.

I've been taking pictures longer than I've been knitting and I've even made money at it at various times. I just recently had my first photo exhibit at a local coffee house and am hoping to do another soon.

Best,
Susan

auburnchick
03-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I am a photographer -- here is my Imagekind site: Susan's Photography (http://SusanPszenitzki.imagekind.com/Photography)

I have a slew of pictures that I took of my knitting and I even made cards to sell at my LYS over the holidays.

I don't have the yarn pics or the cards online yet but hopefully I will soon.

I've been taking pictures longer than I've been knitting and I've even made money at it at various times. I just recently had my first photo exhibit at a local coffee house and am hoping to do another soon.

Best,
Susan

Very nice work, Susan!

CountryCrafter
03-03-2007, 07:15 PM
I have lots of hobbies...gardening would be my number 1 but it just doesn't last long enough! I also read, exercise, sew, cross stitch, make jewelry, scrapbook and anything else that catches my fancy!

JoeE
03-03-2007, 08:10 PM
I used to collect vintage sewing machines like I seem to collect yarn nowadays. I have dozens of machines in various stages of working order. My particular favorite vintage machine is a 1924 White Family Rotary treadle sewing machine.
I'm also a voracious reader--particularly interested in religion/spirituality and "how-to" books. Any how to book will keep me interested. It doesn't matter if I'll never blow glass, keep bees, fix the transmission on a 1948 Chevrolet, etc., I still want to know how it's done.

MoniDew
03-03-2007, 08:42 PM
I dance Argentine tango.

FANTASTIC!!! Teach me!!!!

I knit, quilt, crochet, and various other (non-fiber-art) stuff.
________
Box vaporizers (http://boxvaporizers.com)

MoniDew
03-03-2007, 08:42 PM
I dance Argentine tango.

FANTASTIC!!! Teach me!!!!

I knit, quilt, crochet, and various other (non-fiber-art) stuff.
________
GALLARDO (http://www.lamborghini-tech.com/wiki/Lamborghini_Gallardo)

dustinac
03-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Right now all I do is knitting :teehee: I have made a quilt, use to sell my emboridery work, latch hooking, cross stitch gave it a try, melted spoons into roses, needle point, made little teddy bears and very primitive annies... get by on crochet.. used to read a lot.. love to listen to music from the early 60s back.. I also like to watch classical movies again early 60s back :teehee: ... and I was trying almost every craft I could till I found knitting.. I've stuck with it meaning I do it almost every day.. the others I would get bored move on then come back.. :teehee:

Krystal
03-03-2007, 09:31 PM
So far I am alone in my non knitting hobby. I web design. Tho, I haven't done a whole lot of it in the last year, I have recently picked it back up.

I lost interest after doing it professionally. No amount of money is worth losing the passion you have in something. A lesson I learned the hard way. I ended up quitting my job, and putting to waste a 20grand student loan and Diploma I earned with honours. (mind you, I now do a job I enjoy minimum wage and all, and met my fiance as the result of it.)

This is actually why I started knitting. I didn't have a hobby and was restless. so I started knitting. But now that I have been out of the web design game for a while I am getting the itch. The way I used to. I am feeling inspired and creative. Tho I am feeling a bit frustrated lately because I have been out of it for so long, I need to tune up my skills.

You can view some of work on my website... Foolish-Wings.net (http://www.foolish-wings.net)

:happydance:

Mumsy doodles
03-03-2007, 10:02 PM
What is TS2??

I knit, crochet, read, play Toontown :woot: bake bread (I :heart: to knead dough) homeschool (not really a hobby, but I do it a lot) write lots of letter---not necessarily in that order.

I would like to learn the tango (Argentine or otherwise) I used to square dance...is that close?? :roflhard:

Jen

Knitting_Guy
03-03-2007, 11:32 PM
I mentioned writing as one of my hobbies. I wrote this off the cuff this evening, inspired by the Rush song Nobody's Hero. It's not polished or anything, so don't expect a masterpiece :rofl:

http://masonm.joeuser.com/index.asp?AID=146076

dovey
03-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Now that I am married, I am really getting into cooking! I volunteer with the elderly and I love to read. I am a new knitter so I am focusing on that at the moment....but I would eventually like to learn crochet too.

Rorshach
03-04-2007, 01:43 AM
I think my signature says it all, but other than being a computer tech, I do a little bit of everything. I read, cook, do woodwork, play video games, give advice, and solve problems. Just a few things that I do when I'm not busy knitting. :)

Lieke
03-04-2007, 04:24 AM
I do some scrapbooking, once a week. I really love doing that, but not as much as knitting. Scrapbooking is something I'd never ever do alone again, that's just not as much fun as with a group. (I infected my mom, the neighbour and her daughter with the scrapbookingvirus)

I also love reading, and playing on my nintendo ds, although both don't get much time lately. And I love watching movies (with or without knitting)

hellokitty165
03-04-2007, 04:53 AM
I love knitting. I also do lots of crochet, and a little cross stitch. What does everyone else like to do?

i do knitting, crochet, quilt blankets, sewing bags, cross stitch abit here and there... travelling is my best hobby ! and of course my knitting and crochet will tag along with me when i travelled... :heart:

zkimom
03-04-2007, 09:15 AM
I mentioned writing as one of my hobbies. I wrote this off the cuff this evening, inspired by the Rush song Nobody's Hero. It's not polished or anything, so don't expect a masterpiece :rofl:

http://masonm.joeuser.com/index.asp?AID=146076

Mason,

Very powerful story. Thanks for sharing it.

My dh and I are both avid readers and closet writers. We are hoping to raise our kids with the same passion.

Keep writing.

To get the right word in the right place is a rare achievement. To condense the diffused light of a page of thought into the luminous flash of a single sentence, is worthy to rank as a prize composition just by itself...Anybody can have ideas--the difficulty is to express them without squandering a quire of paper on an idea that ought to be reduced to one glittering paragraph. -- Mark Twain

Best,
Susan

Knitting_Guy
03-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks Susan. While I am certainly no award winning writer, I do enjoy writing even if nobody enjoys reading it. :rofl:

koolbreeze
03-04-2007, 10:46 AM
i knit, quilt, make cards, tried soap... gonna get back into it, candles, polymer clay, make hair bows. i'll try anything once. i seem to be the best at knitting and quilts. looking to get into being a hobby breeder of YORKIES. i have two at the moment Troy (female) she is 4.5 months and Walker who is 4 months tomorrow.

mari_13
03-04-2007, 02:49 PM
looking to get into being a hobby breeder of YORKIES. i have two at the moment Troy (female) she is 4.5 months and Walker who is 4 months tomorrow.

Koolbreeze - I have a Yorkie that I :heart: SO much! He's my first dog ever and my best bud. He's only 3.5 pounds! I thought of breeding him but I'm allergic to more work! Good luck!

Anywho - right now I knit, sew, and am teaching myself to crochet. I love to cook, especially baking cookies. I make a batch at least every week.

What I hope to learn by the end of 2007 are to embroider and how to make quilts. I've only been crafting for a year and want to branch out so much! I love being crafty now that I learned how!

Mari

koolbreeze
03-04-2007, 02:51 PM
looking to get into being a hobby breeder of YORKIES. i have two at the moment Troy (female) she is 4.5 months and Walker who is 4 months tomorrow.

Koolbreeze - I have a Yorkie that I :heart: SO much! He's my first dog ever and my best bud. He's only 3.5 pounds! I thought of breeding him but I'm allergic to more work! Good luck!

oh hes a good size. you can make him a "Stud" if you don't want the work of a litter. i should be allergic to more work but i seem to find a way to make more for myself! :roflhard:

Silver
03-04-2007, 03:06 PM
I knit, spin, sew, draw, and create graphics. I also love photography, and cooking. I make hand made soap, bath & body products and scented candles. I can cross stitch and do needlepoint, but I'm not all too fond of it. I can make jewelry, I can paint, and I'll try just about any craft at least once. :)

cathoo
03-04-2007, 04:21 PM
I rock climb! Only indoor climbing though, because they have nice safety mats at the bottom of the walls. It's good exercise, and it's something that you can do with another person, or a big group

I also cook & bake when I have the chance, and I used to mess around with computers when that wasn't what I was taking it at school.

letah75
03-04-2007, 04:47 PM
I knit, sew, etch glass, make candles (sometimes wax sometimes gel), paint glass, read, read, read, cook, and shop :teehee: . Oh and the beer drinking, I'm there with ya Mason!!

Oh, and I like to do mosaic work. I recently bought an antique table, with glass inserts and I made stone mosaic inserts for the table. The glass is quite thin, and the cats are quite fat, and since thin glass and thick cats don't go together, I redid the table. I'm planning on making more inserts so I can change them periodically.

Please notice cleaning is not, I repeat not a hobby.

Quiltlady
03-04-2007, 05:01 PM
I love knitting when I'm watching tv but my other love is Quilting which I've been doing for many more years than knitting. :teehee:

I also enjoy machine embroidery. Those are just a few of the other hobbies that are a part of my life. :happydance:

madametj
03-04-2007, 05:04 PM
I do needle point, latch hook, woodburning, briading gimp, and a little crochet

EssenceRose
03-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Scrapbooking - although I haven't touched a scrapbook page in AGES. I also like to read, but wouldn't call it a 'hobby' as such as books are just always there. It's more a way of life.

I'd like to re learn how to crochet as well. My step mother taught me how when I was a teenager, but I've kind of forgotten how to do it beyond a simple chain. LOL I actually picked up a book from the library on 'how to crochet' and tried last night, but I got frustrated and gave up.

KathyinCali
03-05-2007, 01:51 PM
I used to crochet (still keep it up using it for edgings, etc), cross stitch, needlepoint and quilt. My eyes got too bad for needlework so now all I do is knit.

My real passion is surfing. I've surfed all over the world and I'm at my best when I'm in the water. I also scuba (a great side sport for when the waves aren't breaking). These are hobbies my DH and I do together.

marykz
03-05-2007, 01:58 PM
I love scrapbooking, sewing, cooking and knitting..... I definitely have a "crafting problem" :) Crafter's anonymous anyone? My little one loves doing "projects" (anything with glue and glitter- preferably glitter glue) so my pile of craft stuff is huge. I keep promising I will organize it soon. It is so interesting to see what everyone loves to do!