PDA

View Full Version : Bleah. Ever knit something ugly?

hunterjenn
03-03-2007, 04:09 AM
I guess I'm just hating Kureyon. I decided to make a Booga Bag for my cousin's 16th b-day. Mine, made from Plymouth Boku, is SO cute, and I love the colorway the original is made in. My LYS didn't have it, though, so I plunked down $9 a skein for another colorway that looked nice (and bright).

I HATED how it knitted up, though! Aside from the Noro scratching my wussy skin, I had to frog it three times to get the stripes to stay consistent. One of my skeins was missing a chunk of the color pattern. :gah: I felted it anyway, because I thought my cute one looked kinda weird before it was felted, buuuuuut: I hate it. I think the colors are hideous together! It's like Joseph's Amazing Technicolor Booga. :ick: Free Booga, anyone?

landolphe
03-03-2007, 04:19 AM
Hi Jenn (I'm guessing here.),

I understand how you feel, I have the same reaction to a Ribbon Yarn Triangular Shawl (from Hell) that I've been working on for ... oh, it seems like 139 years more or less. :teehee:

But, I actually like your little bag and I have a great use for it at the moment. I would be honored and pleased to have it. How do we do this?

Cheers,

Landolphe

hunterjenn
03-03-2007, 04:24 AM
:cheering: If you want it, it's yours! :teehee: I'm waiting for it to dry...PM me your address, and I'll put it in the mail!

Man, a day and a half on a project I hate is insane--how are you managing to keep working on a whole SHAWL you don't like?

- Jen :D (The less-preferred Jenn spelling was the only one available when I got my email address)

nonny2t
03-03-2007, 06:04 AM
I like the brightly colored one better than the brown one! I think you did a terrific job on both of them!

vaknitter
03-03-2007, 09:09 AM
WOW - I think the bag looks great ! We are our own worst critics though. I have things I knit that I see how I could have done them better, but I get tons of compliments on them. I have a hat I felted that I cannot bring myself to wear out in public, but my husband really likes it on me. I think while we are knitting we have a picture in our brains and if it doesn't come out exactly right we are disappointed.

auburnchick
03-03-2007, 12:14 PM
I love the bag! Cat-fight! :teehee:

Here's (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24933&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ugly+sweater+bag&start=204) my "ugly" project (scroll to the bottom of the page). It grew and grew and grew. Totally unusable.

Your's is lovely, though!! :heart:

hydeemarie
03-03-2007, 12:24 PM

Here's (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24933&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=ugly+sweater+bag&start=204) my "ugly" project (scroll to the bottom of the page). It grew and grew and grew. Totally unusable.

I like that! :heart:

Jan in CA
03-03-2007, 02:04 PM
It IS bright, but it's cute! A 16yr old might love it!

DudeWithSticks
03-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Yes, you are your worst critic. The bag looks great, and I don't mind the colors etc. (But I do like your color choice for your bag though) :P

Is that more of an intermediate thing to knit? Or can a advanced newbie do something that great?

knitqueen
03-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Yes, you are your worst critic. The bag looks great, and I don't mind the colors etc. (But I do like your color choice for your bag though) :P

Is that more of an intermediate thing to knit? Or can a advanced newbie do something that great?

The Booga Bag is a GREAT pattern for a beginner! You're already doing cables, you could surely do a booga bag. Good practice with knitting in the round, picking up stitches, and felting. :thumbsup:

hunterjenn
03-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah, you could totally do it...um..."Dude." :rofl: It's a fun project and goes quickly.

:hug: Thanks, everyone. I think I did just have an idea of how I wanted it to look. I have to say, now that it's drying, it looks somewhat better, but it's still not quite what I was after. Glad somebody likes it though! :teehee:

hunterjenn
03-03-2007, 06:29 PM

:rofl: Nathalie! I think it's really cute, but when you look at a picture that shows how big it is...um...I can see how it might be a tad large! :rofl: Cabling's really pretty, though.

auburnchick
03-03-2007, 07:06 PM

:rofl: Nathalie! I think it's really cute, but when you look at a picture that shows how big it is...um...I can see how it might be a tad large! :rofl: Cabling's really pretty, though.

So did I make you feel better??? :roflhard:

hunterjenn
03-03-2007, 07:53 PM

TOH-tally! :roflhard: Just proves that we're too stubborn to quit! :rofl: :oops: Man, I wish I'd just trusted my instincts on this one. :rofl: Whew! We're awesome. :D

mks22300
03-03-2007, 09:18 PM
I love the colours of your bag, I think they're so bright and cheerful! Great job on both your bags.

i'd rather be knitting
03-04-2007, 02:33 AM
They're both adorable. I prefer the brown'ish one, but only because I lean toward earthy colors. I think they both look great.

auburnchick
03-05-2007, 11:24 AM

TOH-tally! :roflhard: Just proves that we're too stubborn to quit! :rofl: :oops: Man, I wish I'd just trusted my instincts on this one. :rofl: Whew! We're awesome. :D

Um, I wouldn't call it stubborn-ness. My error can be blamed on pure stupidity. I'll just blame it on the college classes frying my brain cells. ;)

hunterjenn
03-05-2007, 12:57 PM

Um, I wouldn't call it stubborn-ness. My error can be blamed on pure stupidity. I'll just blame it on the college classes frying my brain cells. ;)

:teehee: See, now, I was going to claim stupidity on my part, but I didn't want to force that distinction on you! :rofl: I may not have had any classes for 7 years (!) or so, but my brain's still plenty damaged...from that and other things since, I'm sure.

auburnchick
03-05-2007, 02:52 PM

:teehee: See, now, I was going to claim stupidity on my part, but I didn't want to force that distinction on you! :rofl: I may not have had any classes for 7 years (!) or so, but my brain's still plenty damaged...from that and other things since, I'm sure.

Between my classes (which were easier as a younger gal) and teens (which will TOTALLY fry the ole brain), there is not much hope. I am very lucky that my knitted socks actually look and fit like socks. :roflhard:

hunterjenn
03-05-2007, 06:18 PM

Between my classes (which were easier as a younger gal) and teens (which will TOTALLY fry the ole brain), there is not much hope. I am very lucky that my knitted socks actually look and fit like socks. :roflhard:

:rofl: Yeah...so looking forward to when my boys are teenagers! :shifty:

VictoiseC
03-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Joseph and the amazing technicolor booga bag! That's soooo funny. I'm sorry but I like it! You know (well too late now if you're sending it off) bags go with moods and months... like I have this bright orange handbag I can't stand to use except in July and October believe it or not. I think it might've grown on you. It's pretty! But..... I understand.