PDA

View Full Version : Semi-OT: newborn baby measurments?

humblestumble
03-03-2007, 07:32 AM
I am knitting a pattern and the only gauge given is for the smaller needles which are hardly used in it. So the outdoor bunting that I am making looks much too big!!! I am trying to contact the publisher of the book for corrections, but in the mean time I'd like to know the average measurments of a baby from newborn to 3 months old around the tummy with clothes on. I have no children. I was planning on making this for my hope chest so I have nothing to compare it to. I am SO frustrated! :wall:

Please help?

miccisue
03-03-2007, 09:14 AM
I am knitting a pattern and the only gauge given is for the smaller needles which are hardly used in it. So the outdoor bunting that I am making looks much too big!!! I am trying to contact the publisher of the book for corrections, but in the mean time I'd like to know the average measurments of a baby from newborn to 3 months old around the tummy with clothes on. I have no children. I was planning on making this for my hope chest so I have nothing to compare it to. I am SO frustrated! :wall:

Please help?

Go to Bev's Country Cottage. On her website, she has several different measurements for babies - depending on weight, age, and some generalized as "most newborns use this size".

I hope I'm reading your question right and that this site helps you!

suzeeq
03-03-2007, 11:31 AM
You may not realize newborns don't stay that size for very long and some are larger than others. If you knit something in the 3-6 month size range, they'll probably grow out of it about the time they're 3 months old. I never bought newborn size for my two, they fit into 3 month size right away and were wearing 6 month size by 3 months.

sue

lissalue
03-03-2007, 12:05 PM
You may not realize newborns don't stay that size for very long and some are larger than others. If you knit something in the 3-6 month size range, they'll probably grow out of it about the time they're 3 months old. I never bought newborn size for my two, they fit into 3 month size right away and were wearing 6 month size by 3 months.

sue

this is pretty true, however, two of my three kids wore 0-3 months until they were 6 months or older although they are extremely healthy. my third is 6 months old now and she fits in her 3-6 months clothes perfectly. so, it kind of depends on the baby. but, there is just something about having those itty bitty clothes. i will be happy to measure my baby although she is bigger than what you are looking for. just let me know.

Jan in CA
03-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Lots of measurements here.
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html