PDA

View Full Version : Knitting book from 1882

letah75
03-04-2007, 04:39 PM
My neighbors were at a consignment shop and found a knitting/crochet book that was copyright in 1882, and printed in 1883, and THEY BOUGHT IT FOR ME!!!!!

http://bp1.blogger.com/_kuLg7qFxS7c/Resj_yglF_I/AAAAAAAAADI/Gu3svGTOdXI/s320/scan.jpg

OMgosh, it is sooooo cool. I'm gonna have to try some of the patterns, but I'll have to 'decode' them first. I'm having a blast reading it, and trying to figure out what they are talking about.

It's got allllll kinds of patterns. Pettycoats, socks of 12 year old boys, stockings, a crochet watch holder, a gentleman's waist coat, a carriage rug, etc. The 'descriptions' of the patterns which are in ( ) under the title, are cool in themselves. "very handsome" and the like.

This book is sooo cool. They got it for $9.00, what a steal. You can't get a new knitting book for that.

aineepooh1
03-04-2007, 04:43 PM
WOW~!! What a deal.. before you use it too much I would see what it could appraise for!~ it might be worthe MUCH MORE THAN $9. If not.. it still would be interesting to find out some history on the book~!

Great find~ :happydance:
What cool neighbors~! :cheering:

DQ
03-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Wow! Aren't your neighbours great! :cheering:

PinkRoses
03-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Wow, that is a great find! :happydance: How cool is it that that you have such great neighbors?! That is the oldest knitting book I've heard of. You'll have to post any confusing things in there that we don't know now like how different they wrote some patterns.

XbelovedXoneX
03-04-2007, 06:08 PM
wow, that is an amazing find! I would definitely look into getting it appraised.

AnreeAce
03-04-2007, 06:31 PM
:passedout:

Stiney
03-04-2007, 06:44 PM
That's so cool! :cheering:

I agree that you should get it appraised, but I would also try to "back it up" either by scanning the pages into your computer or photocopying. You might want to have a professional do that.

It's old, so the book is fragile and you don't want to put too much wear and tear on it, whether or not it's worth anything. And if it IS worth something, you want to keep it in the best possible condition.

Mariblue
03-04-2007, 09:03 PM
How thoughtful of your neighbors! That's a really great find. Knitting or not, books that old are awesome, adding the knitting part to it makes it almost heavenly!
If you have a really good digital camera that takes close up pictures, then you could photograph each page in good light. I've taken pictures of older pictures (from the 1970's and such) in the morning, right next to the windows on my kitchen table, in a stong natural light, and my digital pictures always turn out great.

mdog182
03-04-2007, 10:13 PM
how exciting! i love vintage knitting patterns...i try bidding on them on ebay all the time, but all the good ones get snatched up. of course, 1883 is a little beyond "vintage". haha. it is seriously old school.

letah75
03-04-2007, 10:23 PM
It's old, so the book is fragile and you don't want to put too much wear and tear on it, whether or not it's worth anything. And if it IS worth something, you want to keep it in the best possible condition.

Actually the book is in AMAZING condition!!! It looks like its never been opened. There are no creases on the spine, and the pages are perfect!!!!

Here is one of the patterns for a lady's pettycoat:

LADY'S PETTICOAT.

(Bloth these petticoats take about 15's skeins of white yam. Bone pins. No. 5's.)

Cast on 120, and knit 25 inches plain, then rib by doing 2 plain, and 2 pearl for 24 rows. Cast off. Do another breadth;
and for the third and front breadth you must, after the first 12
rounds, decrease at the beginning and end of each row about every two inches. If you do not like to have a gored breadth do this one exactly the same as the other two. Crochet some scalloped edges round the bottom of the petticoat, after having joined the breadths together. These petticoats are beautifully warm, and last for a long time. Summer ones can be knitted with the same pins in Angola yarn. It can be charmingly finished with a border . You need only make the petticoat 24 inches long in that case.

Here is the other petticoat pattern:

LADY'S SCARLET AND WHITE PETTICOAT.

(WORN INSTEAD OF A FLANNEL ONE.)

Wooden pins about 17 inches long, and then cast on all the stitches you require. With pins NO.5 cast on 360, and knit with scarlet for 1 inch; then 2 inches of white, then 2 inches of scarlet. Now do the rest of the petticoat in double knitting, or some fancy stitch, like following. When it is 26 inches long rib 21 rows in 2 plain, 2 pearl, and cast off. Knit a simple crochet scarlet edging. These petticoats pull out several inches longer after being washed.

Stiney
03-04-2007, 10:28 PM

Actually the book is in AMAZING condition!!! It looks like its never been opened. There are no creases on the spine, and the pages are perfect!!!!

If your book doesn't have any beginner's instructions, I would check out a post I did yesterday that links to a site with scanned in vintage/antique knitting patterns because some of them explain the stuff. "plain knitting" is the knit stitch. "pearl" is the purl stitch, of course. Etc.

And I would still want to make copies and work from the copies. The paper is old enough that it can't stand up to the heavy use it'd be getting if you used it like you would a new knitting book. But that's just me!

five_six
03-04-2007, 10:45 PM
If your book doesn't have any beginner's instructions, I would check out a post I did yesterday that links to a site with scanned in vintage/antique knitting patterns because some of them explain the stuff. "plain knitting" is the knit stitch. "pearl" is the purl stitch, of course. Etc.

And I would still want to make copies and work from the copies. The paper is old enough that it can't stand up to the heavy use it'd be getting if you used it like you would a new knitting book. But that's just me!

I have tried to look at these links you posted yesterday cawthraven, but the pdf's (of this very series that letah has) download, but all appear blank to me... does this happen when you view them?

letah75
03-04-2007, 10:55 PM

I looked for that post but I didn't see it. Do you still have the link?

Stiney
03-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Here's the link (http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/booklist.htm)

I didn't see the book Letah found. :shrug: But the ones that I have clicked on worked. Maybe the PDF's hadn't finished loading?

letah75
03-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks! I'm going to book mark that page!

saracidaltendencies
03-05-2007, 12:38 AM
Wow, what a steal! I love vintage knitting patterns!

aineepooh1
03-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Letah~ That is just too cool reading those vintage patterns from over a hundred years ago~!! WOW~!
I guess the more things change the more the stay the same~~ I guess needing a WARM petticoat vs needing a WARM pair of leggings kinda serves the same purpose~!! :teehee: