PDA

View Full Version : Do you actually use or wear what you knit?

Aquaria
03-05-2007, 12:30 AM
I know this might sound funny :?? ... But every time I finished knitting something I would just leave them in my box of FOs and occasionally take them out and admire them. I have this sort of unknown fear that if I wear them or take them out with me they would get wrecked or something... :oops: Do any of you have the same problem? :shrug:

saracidaltendencies
03-05-2007, 12:34 AM
I don't have this problem, however, I usually knit for other people...lol...Seriously, in the year + I've been knitting, I FINALLY made something for myself, my cell phone case which I did last week...hahaha...One day I'll make a few more things for myself...lol

aineepooh1
03-05-2007, 12:54 AM
yep~ I give almost EVERYTHING I make away so I don't keep it very long~ except for my double standed red :heart: lunch bag~~ that takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'
~~ :teehee:

It's hard to imagine something terrible happening to your children~~
I think the doctor's call it seperation anxiety~!! :teehee:

:hug:
Ainee

brendajos
03-05-2007, 01:17 AM
I think of it kind of like saving your good china for some day special. At the end of your life you will have beautiful china that you can barely remember using. What's the point of that? Every day should be considered special!

Use it, gift it, donate it, but SOMEONE should enjoy it!

noejusti
03-05-2007, 02:41 AM
I wear quite a bit of my stuff, especially to work. And I make stuff for other people too.
When I first started knitting stuff, I tried to pick pieces that were very funky, but I never liked wearing them because they were not realistic (like a really fluffy thick wool sweater with a cowl neck- and I live in L.A., so it stayed in my drawer because it is never cold enough to wear that darn thing). Now I find patterns that I like and I ask myself if I will wear it if I make it. If the answer is yes, then I make it. Make sure you pick things to make that are truly something you would wear. It's a shame to waste all that time and work if it is only going to stay in the drawer. Show off your stuff and be proud!

:thumbsup:

Happy knitting!
v.

hellokitty165
03-05-2007, 02:55 AM
i know it sound silly... but after i made something ... i cannot bear to wear it ...worrying that it will be wear and tear... lol... i made a hello kitty sweater and it sitting in my walk-in closet and i just cannot bear to wear it...worrying that it will look old after many wash !!!! i should wear all my stuff... u know what ...i am wearing all my products from this point onwards...life is too short not to enjoy my handmade items..

Jan in CA
03-05-2007, 03:11 AM
I mostly knit for charity, but I do wear the sweater I made and I use the dishcloths. ;)

knit-a-holic
03-05-2007, 03:38 AM
Most of the stuff I knit, I give it away. If there is something that I've knitted and I can't depart from it, I'll wear it...but usually they're just scarves and hats. I have this obsession with scarves and hats...lol. :heart:

Lieke
03-05-2007, 03:50 AM
Things I knit for myself, I ALWAYS wear. I just love wearing my hand-knitted sweaters. I still wear my first sweater, which I knitted about 3 years ago. Don't be afraid to wear something nice you've knitted for yourself. Live is to short for that and knitting takes to much time and effort for that. You're worth it!

humblestumble
03-05-2007, 05:21 AM
I haven't yet. I am not afraid to wear them, but I guess I just thought I would wear them more than I would want to wear them. Hopefully I will soon find something that I really like to wear. I think I really need to knit things at a much finer gauge than given.

Aquaria
03-05-2007, 05:39 AM
I think I opened up a bit more now... Thanks guys! :hug:

It's not that I don't like my knitted projects... It's rather because I'm WAY TOO fond of them, so I'm scared that they would get wrecked.

But now! since you guys told me:
It's a shame to waste all that time and work if it is only going to stay in the drawer.
life is too short not to enjoy my handmade items..
Show off your stuff and be proud!
Live is to short for that and knitting takes to much time and effort for that. You're worth it!
and
Every day should be considered special!

I, from now on, will actually wear and use my knitted projects! :cheering: :teehee: :rofl:

TeenKnitter
03-05-2007, 07:36 AM
I don't wear most of my stuff (unfortunately). I am currently working on a sweater which I plan to wear. I make pretty funky stuff, which I love, but it'd be weird to wear it to school. But I also LOVE to make stuff for other people, I made hats for all of my friends for Christmas.

Ingrid
03-05-2007, 08:53 AM
I wear all my stuff. I don't see any point in saving it. I guess once the knitting part is done, I don't feel a real need to protect the sweater or whatever. It's a sweater. If it gets ruined (and none have, yet), I have an excuse to buy more yarn for another one. :teehee:

AnreeAce
03-05-2007, 10:15 AM
I wear my things too. After I put all the work into it, I can't wait to get it on. And I also get a huge kick out of somebody complementing me on my handknits, because then I can tell them that I made it myself.

I like what Mason Dixon has to say about it: "Must. Use. The. Handknits."

auburnchick
03-05-2007, 10:38 AM
The main reason I taught myself to knit last summer was to have a more "practical" hobby.

So, with that in mind, I make things that I intend to use. I've made a bath rug, hand towels (both of these items are in my bathroom and used every day). I've also made dishcloths, which the family uses often.

I've recently gotten on a sock kick. I cannot wait for the socks to come off of the needles so I can wear them (wearing a pair right now!!!).

Go for it! You know, if something happens to your item, at least you wore it and loved it while you could!!

:muah:

Stiney
03-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Yes! I'm wearing my Fetching right now. I also wear one of the two hats I've made for myself--I used to wear the other, but it was big to begin with and kinda grew, so I gave it to my mom. She has a big head. :teehee: I love the hat, so I plan on making another one. (The original plan was to make her one, but the second one was coming out much smaller. So to the frog pond and I'll make this hat again for myself later.)

Those are the only wearables I have made so far, but I do plan on wearing them. Otherwise I wouldn't put so much blood and sweat and tears into them. :teehee:

cheesiesmom
03-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Since I started knitting socks, I wear my knittables all the time! They are fast, they fit, etc. Before that I gave most of my items away and I don't know if anyone uses/wears what I made or if they're sitting in someone's drawer, closet, or (heaven forbid) rag bag.

KathyinCali
03-05-2007, 01:29 PM
If I make it with the intention of it being for me I do wear it. I made two Ruanas in the last few months and I wear them any chance I get.

I once knit an absolutely beautiful alpaca scarf for myself and then didn't wear it-just let it sit in the closet. When I finally did take it out to wear it, a moth had somehow gotten to it! :-x I was crushed and swore I'd wear what I knit for myself then on.

DQ
03-05-2007, 01:47 PM
I haven't done many FO's yet but I do plan to make things for myself to wear when I'm not doing things for other people ^_^

honestabby
03-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Most of my knitting goes to others (and my mantra is, If you love it, let it go) but when I knit something for myself, I wear it enough to at least show it off. Haven't lost or runined anything yet.

An exception to the rule: I took an "advanced beginner" knitting class where we made a baby sweater. The rule is when you take a class at this LYS, you must buy the yarn there, and of course their yarn is mostly expensive stuff. When I added up the cost of the yarn and the cost of the class, that baby sweater was not cheap. I thought about giving it to a nephew for his new baby, but crocheted them a nice baby afghan instead. I'm still waiting for someone "sweater-worthy" to give this baby sweater to!

miccisue
03-05-2007, 03:29 PM
To be honest, I'm still waiting for the chance to make something for myself so I can wear it. Seems like most of my knitting has been done for presents for others....although I do have a couple of scarves I made that I do wear.

I've got yarn for a couple of sweaters that I plan to make for myself, and barring any unforseen circumstances (like I totally mess them up, LOL!) I will wear them!

auburnchick
03-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Most of my knitting goes to others (and my mantra is, If you love it, let it go) but when I knit something for myself, I wear it enough to at least show it off. Haven't lost or runined anything yet.

An exception to the rule: I took an "advanced beginner" knitting class where we made a baby sweater. The rule is when you take a class at this LYS, you must buy the yarn there, and of course their yarn is mostly expensive stuff. When I added up the cost of the yarn and the cost of the class, that baby sweater was not cheap. I thought about giving it to a nephew for his new baby, but crocheted them a nice baby afghan instead. I'm still waiting for someone "sweater-worthy" to give this baby sweater to!

Maybe you could donate it to a hospital or women's shelter??

VickyS456
03-05-2007, 03:43 PM
I think of it kind of like saving your good china for some day special. At the end of your life you will have beautiful china that you can barely remember using. What's the point of that? Every day should be considered special!

This cracked me up! I wear/use everything I've knitted so far, but the beautiful china I got for my wedding 6 years ago is still safely packed away in it's box in the attic!!!! :roflhard:

bip
03-05-2007, 04:16 PM
I am getting better about actually USING handmade things. For the longest time they seemed so precious, I couldn't bear to use them. I'm not sure what changed my mind. My husband's philosophy about everything is, "If you love it, you have to let it go," so maybe it was his influence.

I don't have much trouble using stuff I've made for myself. I figure, I *KNOW* how to make it, so if it gets ruined, I'll just make another! Maybe once that spiral throw I posted earlier starts to show some wear, I'll regret my policy. That thing took a lot of effort! Then again, there were some mistakes in the first few colors, so maybe if it gets ruined over time, I'll see it as a Mulligan!

syndactylus
03-05-2007, 04:25 PM
the only thing I've kept so far is a scarf.
I'm using it, but only until I reknit it.
then I'll use it again, but it will be a different scarf.
& hopefully this sweater I'm knitting will actually fit, and then I will probably wear it every single day until someone says I smell. :ick:

dustinac
03-05-2007, 04:28 PM
:rofl: the few scarves I have I do use... my kid's wear their items as well.. so does dh.. :happydance:

heykaren
03-05-2007, 04:56 PM
I have finished 2 sweaters for myself in the past few months. They are not the best fit, but I wear them proudly and wish the weather wouldn´t get warmer yet :pout: My boys and DH don`t want me to make them anything ( "I don`t wear sweaters..." ) so I guess all the yarn and new things will be for ME!!!!!! :happydance:

Knitting_Guy
03-05-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't think I would want to knit something I couldn't or didn't want to use or wear.

Quiltlady
03-05-2007, 06:53 PM
I do wear most of what I knit. But I enjoy the process of knitting even more than the finished products. I have a few tote bags that are so nice but I haven't used those yet...I better begin to real soon. :cheering:

KnitClickChick
03-05-2007, 08:11 PM
The thing I wear the most is one of the many many scarves I have made. I've made some other stuff, (shawls/hats) but I don't really wear it. Mostly because I don't have much confidence in my work and am afraid that if I wear it, people will think "that hideous thing sure looks homemade!"

Mommy22alyns
03-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I prefer, right now, to knit for others... of course I haven't finished anything yet... :oops:

Aquaria
03-06-2007, 12:12 AM
okay well... of course I use my FOs sometimes but not outside. What I had been saying was things happening to my FOs while I wear it out side.(a strange fear it is)

Of course I sometimes wear my projects and play with them at home just for fun, but I'm just too afraid that they'll get wrecked.

I don't have enough yarns to knit things like sweaters, etc. etc. but I do knit gloves, scarves, such and such that use up less yarn. Due to the fact that I can't get much yarn easily and can't make as much FOs as you guys do, the projects seem more precious to me. You know, some of them even seem like a memory to me, like my first FO, first mitten, etc. It would have been very heartbreaking to see them getting wrecked.... :pout:

But you guys have told me some great reasons why I should use them, so perhaps I will be more careful with them when I actually get to use them.:)

noejusti
03-06-2007, 02:07 AM
Mostly because I don't have much confidence in my work and am afraid that if I wear it, people will think "that hideous thing sure looks homemade!"

To KnitClickChick- some of the stuff I see in the malls on the mannequins looks very homemade and is intended to look like that. You would be surprised what you make that looks just like you bought it out of those stores. You just might be making something right now that is very trendy.
So instead, they will ask you where you bought it and you can tell them you made it yourself.

Happy Knitting, and Happy Wearing!
v. :cheering:

Aquaria
03-06-2007, 03:54 AM
Mostly because I don't have much confidence in my work and am afraid that if I wear it, people will think "that hideous thing sure looks homemade!"

To KnitClickChick- some of the stuff I see in the malls on the mannequins looks very homemade and is intended to look like that. You would be surprised what you make that looks just like you bought it out of those stores. You just might be making something right now that is very trendy.
So instead, they will ask you where you bought it and you can tell them you made it yourself.

Happy Knitting, and Happy Wearing!
v. :cheering:

Great point! :cheering: :rofl: :thumbsup: