PDA

View Full Version : Pattons SWS for booga bag?

vaknitter
03-05-2007, 11:54 AM
I have been asked to make a booga bag for a friend and she would like it striped/varigated...I am not a big fan of Noro Kuryon so would Pattons SWS make a nice striping pattern and felt up well? I have only ever felted with handspun and handpainted yarns that I buy locally...but they do not stripe reliably.

thank you

brendajos
03-05-2007, 11:57 AM
It's not going to felt great but it could look cool with some texture. The content is 70% Wool - 30% Soy. That 30% is not really going to felt. I think the general rule of thumb is that it should be at least 85% wool in order to felt fairly evenly.

That being said... someone will have successfully done it and prove me completely wrong :teehee:

HamaLee
03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Every Michael's I've been to that sells SWS has a knitted swatch and a felted swatch of it hanging. So it seems that it does felt. The swatches still show the stitches--but I think that's lazy felting on the store's part rather than the yarn. Because even felted swatches of 100% wool they have hanging up show stitches, and I've felted enough to know that you can get those stitches to pretty much vanish.

I think I'm going to make entrelac pillows with my SWS :happydance: and I've seem some swatches with really nice striping. Good luck!

kellyh57
03-05-2007, 12:19 PM
I did it. It felted up nicely. I don't think you can see any of the stitches in it, but the bottom may not be perfectly felted. It's pretty fuzzy though. I think all wools are like that though. My Cascade did the same thing.

Kelly

Ronda
03-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm glad you asked this question. I wondered the same thing. I thought about doing a Lucy bag in SWS.

vaknitter
03-05-2007, 12:28 PM
WOW - I just walked by the SWS, saw the swatch and didn't look at the fiber content...just thought they had some nice colorways. Luckily I didn't buy it yet so if there is something else moderately priced that you would recommend..

divagirl
03-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Patons classic wool in the rosewood color is really pretty. It's not stripey like the SWS, but it kind of looks like glazed pottery when it's felted.

Jax3303
03-05-2007, 01:10 PM
I love SWS. It felts really well (same as WOTA, Patons classic merino & cascade220, felts better than kureyon) and it felts really FAST.

brendajos
03-05-2007, 01:15 PM
seeee i tol'ja people would prove me wrong!...lol

Michele
03-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I have made 2 booga bags with SWS. It felts really fast and sturdy. It is a little hard to knit with because it is unspun.

jmp3775
03-05-2007, 02:45 PM
I've actually heard that it felts REALLY well, REALY REALLY fast! I havent felted it, but made a Lady Eleanor wrap out of it, and I loved knitting woth it! :happydance:

Cristy
03-05-2007, 03:28 PM
I have made 2 booga bags with SWS. It felts really fast and sturdy. It is a little hard to knit with because it is unspun.

It's the "unspun" part about this yarn that annoys me and keeps it from being unenjoyable, but I admit that the colors are nice..

SabrinaJL
03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
I JUST finished a Booga today in SWS. It's the 2nd bag I've made and felted from SWS and it felts crazy fast. When I was reading about felting I read it might take a couple cycles to felt properly. It only took about 12 minutes for them to completely felt. In fact, I'm off to post a pic.

I enjoy working with SWS and it knits up beautifully.

misha rf
03-05-2007, 11:16 PM
I did a different felted bag with it (pic is posted; scroll down):

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24933&start=528

My advice would be to avoid the lighter shades. I'd forgotten that lighter colors don't felt as well or as quickly. It took about 6 trips to get it to the degree of feltedness (is that a word?) that I wanted. But I'm really happy with how it turned out!