PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep your patterns organized?

vaknitter
03-05-2007, 11:59 AM
:shrug: I have so many patterns that I have printed of this site and others, but I have no idea how to catalog and keep track of them. Do you have a filing cabinet drawer, 3 ring binder....just pocketfolders....I need help. I have been telling my husband for months that I would organize my craft room (we are newlyweds and I need to make room for him in the house and he needs to put his computer desk in the multipurpose/craft room) and I just can't seem to get it going.....

HamaLee
03-05-2007, 12:03 PM
My printer stinks so I never print out my patterns, god help me if I did because I'm the most unorganized person ever :oops: . Right now everything is just bookmarked in my browser--until my computer dies and I lose them all and then panic.

My purchased patterns and pattern magazines are lurking all over my apartment...it's bad! :teehee:

projectgal
03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
I try to keep most of my patterns on my computer, scanning those that I received in a paper form.

I only print the pattern that I am using and then throw it away after I've used and marked it.

I'd be interested in how others store their patterns though; this should be a good thread.

brendajos
03-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I totally keep mine organized by category here. (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php) It seems to work out really well for me!

:teehee:

Stiney
03-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I have a binder, but I only have been printing them as I use them. Often after I've made it. :teehee:

I try and remember to save patterns to my desktop, but I've been very spotty about doing so.

vaknitter
03-05-2007, 12:32 PM
HAHA - Brendajos you're too funny. I use that system too.

I print patterns that I have used and am going to use and I also have a done taking up space on my computer. My poor laptop is starting to act its age and I am afraid to rely on it to store my patterns much longer so I am trying to decide if I should start moving them to a CD-RW or if I should just slowly print and file them....

I am seriouly thinking about file folders labelled - hats, scarfs, bags, babies, misc and adding them to my existing filing cabinet.

Once I get this solved - we move onto how to store yarn such that I can close the closet door :teehee: If I mention the use of power tools maybe I can get DH to build me some shelves in the closet

DianaM
03-05-2007, 12:55 PM
At the moment, I have a 400GB external drive where I store pretty much everything. I have a folder for knitting and crochet with subdivisions for hats, socks, sweaters, etc.

I'm slowly starting to print out some of them as I knit them up and can add side notes to the prints. They're going into a 3-ring binder and sheet protectors.

momwolf
03-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I print out most of my patterns because I have found that some sites discontinue some patterns. So I put mine in 3 ring binders.I have one for sweaters and then I put them in catagorizes with the tab pages that you can slip in the little name tag.So in the sweaters binder I have cardigans--pullovers--tank top---summer--ect The only thing I had to buy was a 3 hole punch
I have a binders for
1 shawls --Hats--Scarfs
2 mens & Kids
3 Baby sweaters
4 how to stuff
5 socks
6 baby hats and buntings
7 Charts & peoples sizes I knit for

Well you get the idea

CarmenIbanez
03-05-2007, 01:25 PM
I have binders at home that are organized by category. But I have been fallind down on the organization lately.

DQ
03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm still only beginning (but getting increasingly more obsessed!) so I only have one box to store things in...might add another box so I can organise things a bit more. I've got all my loose patterns in a ring binder in plastic wallets. They aren't really in any order yet though...

I print off patterns I really like because I don't want to go back to them and found they've gone! But I've also got a lot of patterns bookmarked and organised on the computer too :happydance:

KathyinCali
03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
I have a really cool clear binder I found for my patterns. I also have them stored on my computer.

SandraEllen
03-05-2007, 01:38 PM
3 ring binder. i keep the patterns i've copied out of books (shame on me), ones i've bought, and ones i've printed from the internet.
I only print out ones that I'm really interested in making.

I keep them in those slide-in page protectors and then use a clipboard to attach them to when I'm using them.

jodstr2
03-05-2007, 01:38 PM
in a file folder which is in a hanging file folder in a file cabinet.
LOL, my knitting stuff is the ONLY stuff in my whole house that's organized.
priorities! :rofl:

jeanius80
03-05-2007, 01:40 PM
i save patterns in my favorites folder .... i print the ones as i am going to use them and whule i use them they get shoved in the zippy bag with the project :teehee: real nice. i plan on getting some sheet protectors for longer term usage. and a file folder for longer storage for printed patterns.
Flipdrive.com (http://www.flipdrive.com/login.php)is a place you can store lots of different things, including favorites lists (in case your pc decides to eat all your files :oo: )
i think a binder with the patterns in sheet protectors is great...hmmm

Jan in CA
03-05-2007, 02:09 PM
I have a pattern folder on my computer, a 3 ring binder, and a stack on my computer desk. :teehee: I know I don't need to print so many out, but sometimes I like to read them through and I prefer sitting on the couch or in bed at night than to sitting in the computer chair staring at the monitor. :shrug:

I have been thinking about getting an accordian file thingy to put some in, too.

VickyS456
03-05-2007, 04:05 PM
I have most of my saved patterns printed to .pdf in a folder on my desktop, but the ones I've actually paid for DH prints them at work (our printer died), punches holes in the sides and then puts them in clear plastic sleeves for me. I just need to pick up a binder to put them in.

Stiney
03-05-2007, 04:10 PM
I have most of my saved patterns printed to .pdf in a folder on my desktop, but the ones I've actually paid for DH prints them at work (our printer died), punches holes in the sides and then puts them in clear plastic sleeves for me. I just need to pick up a binder to put them in.

I stole a beat-up one from work. The plastic protector things on the front were disgusting, so I ripped them off. I got a desk calendar from one of our vendors that's got neat art collages by an artist on the left hand side. (One of the advantages of working in publishing is your vendors are printers and do gorgeous calendars.) :-D Anyway. I've been saving the part with the pretty pictures, and I cut them down around the picture collage elements and am putting them on the binder. I'll try and take pictures when I get home.

Mrs. D.
03-05-2007, 04:11 PM
I put mine in a large 3-ring binder. However, I have not been real good about categorizing them, there all just there. I think I will try to get that done this week.

hellokitty165
03-05-2007, 04:13 PM
i had alot of print out which i never knit them... what a waste of time and killing all the trees for the paper... i tried to store in CD now ... chances is i only own a pair of hands... so it take awhile for me to jump into another potential knit pattern...

as you know i got at least 15 of unfinished work on my knitting needles now... goosh ! i am hopeless .. trying to finish them one by one is taking forever... maybe i should give it to someone free to finish them

heykaren
03-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I use "notebooks" with bound plastic slip in folders ( I use them for recipes too - you can keep the book on the counter and the recipe stays clean! ) I need another one soon and then maybe I´ll organize them, they´re just kind of in there as I printed them out for now...

VickyS456
03-05-2007, 05:28 PM

I stole a beat-up one from work. The plastic protector things on the front were disgusting, so I ripped them off. I got a desk calendar from one of our vendors that's got neat art collages by an artist on the left hand side. (One of the advantages of working in publishing is your vendors are printers and do gorgeous calendars.) :-D Anyway. I've been saving the part with the pretty pictures, and I cut them down around the picture collage elements and am putting them on the binder. I'll try and take pictures when I get home.

oh that sounds cool! yes, please take a pic if you can :)

Quiltlady
03-05-2007, 06:47 PM
I print out a lot. But I have to admit that a lot I don't end up keeping for whatever reason. :shrug:

I have about five binders and each is for a differnt "theme" such as baby, adults etc. It works nicely for me. I use the clear envelops that go in the binder and I can easily see the items as I turn each page.

Stiney
03-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Okay, here they are.

The main part on the front of the binder was from January. I used the bottom part of January on the bottom of the back of the binder. The skinny saint-person part on the front is from the bottom left corner of February. The top of the back is the top half of February. I haven't figured out how to incorporate the rest of February yet. :teehee:

I haven't done anything on the spine of the binder yet (It's a 3 and a half inch binder so I have some space to play.)

Once I'm done I plan on getting some clear contact paper so that the edges don't rip.

stacy.duval
03-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Organize? What's that? :oops:

KnitClickChick
03-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Organized? Well, I have a whole bunch I printed out and "organized" into the back flap of my favorite knitting book. Then I have more "organized" in a big stack on my desk. I have even more "organized" on my computer in pdf when my printer ran out of ink. Organized? Sure, I'm organized! :happydance:

madametj
03-05-2007, 09:09 PM
i keep mine in a binder and organize them from head to toe. for example:

hats/headbands
scarves
shurgs
sweaters
belts
skirts
legwarmers/socks

purses and other "unwearables" (cup cozies, cell phone cases, toys) all go in the back

hope this helps ;)

DreamWeaver
03-05-2007, 09:58 PM
I keep all of my pattern books ona particular shelf in my bookshelf, but most of my patterns are bookedmarked. I have one massive foulder called "knitting patterns". Then that bookmark subdivides into 9 different sections: bags/cozies, Hands, Hats/Headbands, Other, Scarves, Socks, Sweaters, Tops, Shrugs/Ponchos/Capelets. And then the patterns in each of the seperate folers are alphabatized.

Yeah, I like to have things organized ^_^;;

Brrlracinbt
03-05-2007, 10:42 PM
I use binders and organize them by category and then in alphabetic order.

newamy
03-05-2007, 11:22 PM
Organized???
Well I print them and put them in a binder. They are not in any order. And some don't have holes punched yet... so they are stuffed in the front pocket. But I do have my binder on my bookshelf neatly next to my knitting books. Sometimes I go through and clean them out. Sometimes I also have patterns stuffed in my knitting bag or on the bed side table.
Overall I'm really not that organized with them.

1knittychick
03-05-2007, 11:33 PM
I have a 3 ring binder and put them in clear covers and have them divided into purses, scarves, etc. I also use divider tags and code them (each color represents where I saw the pattern (knitty gritty, Knittinghelp, etc).

Ingrid
03-05-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm supposed to organize all this stuff? :??

ArtLady1981
03-06-2007, 05:32 AM
I didn't read all the Posts...but wanted to add something before I go off to bed:

To all who save a lot of patterns in a folder on their computer:

Many are very afraid of what will happen to all their patterns IF their computer crashes!

TRUTH: It is not IF your computer crashes...it is WHEN your computer crashes!
All computers crash eventually, even new ones...and all computer wizards will tell you they get crashes, too! Nothing new...it just happens. Your computer will crash sometime this year! Especially those of us who do internet, forums, have Windows XP and Norton.

Here is what I do to QUICKLY AND INSTANTLY back up any FOLDERS to which I make frequent changes: I have a "memory key" that plugs into a USB port. I can leave it in all the time...or put it in and take it out. Once it is in the port...I locate the FOLDER I want to back-up...with the cursor on the folder, right click...then chose SEND TO...then chose USB Memory. In a FLASH...the entire folder is saved on that little memory key. Even a 512 mb memory key hold tons of info...and they are very cheap right now...because all the 1-4 GB keys are now out.

For all of you who are very familiar with what I am talking about already...I applogize for the boring step-by-step directions. I did it for those who are not familiar with this great little gadget!!!

I think the reason folks neglect regular backups of their files and folders is because doing backups on the CD-RW is time consuming. LISTEN UP FOLKS! Get a memory key! It will save you WHEN (not IF) your computer crashes!

PS: once the data is saved on the memory key...if you do lose it on your computer...or just delete it from your computer...all you have to do to put it back onto your computer...Go to MY COMPUTER...locate the USB Memory icon...open it...and click on any folder or item that you want to send back to your computer. Just right click, Send to: My Documents...and voila...it is back on your computer. As a matter of fact...once a folder is saved on the memory key...I delete seldom used folders off my computer...and just rummage through them from the memory key when needed. This relieves time from Virus and Spyware scans...and perks up computer performance. Unclutters My Documents...etc.

JamOKnit
03-06-2007, 11:11 AM
I am like NewAmy.....I print out the ones that I am really interested in and stash them in a 3-ring binder (or in the pockets if I forget to hole punch them). My binder is in the closet next to my stash. :teehee:

When I am working on a pattern I place the page in a plastic sheet protector and carry it along with my work in my knitting bag.

I've also bookmarked a ton of great patterns and websites on my computer at work, which I need to dump onto a USB or something soon before they get lost in our building move in a few months...

Silver
03-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I like a lot of others, I use a big fat 3 ring binder with dividers. And every pattern is in a page protector. It's all organized and purty because I'm kinda obsessive about my knitting patterns. I don't print every pattern I find, only the ones that I'm SURE I will knit eventually. Plus I have a lot of technique and info pages in my binder. This one's getting kinda full though, might be time for a Volume 2.

When I'm using a pattern, I keep it in the page protector. A new box of page protectors is cheaper than paper and ink cartridges.

Stiney
03-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Your computer will crash sometime this year! Especially those of us who do internet, forums, have Windows XP and Norton.

Umm...I've gone years withought having my comptuers crash. Yes, it happens, but you can't say for sure when it will happen or that it will happen within the year.

But yeah, Windows is unstable. That's why I love my Mac. :heart: But using Norton or McAfee means your computer is LESS likely to crash.

I'm not sure what a memory key is...is that like a USB Flash Drive (or memory stick)?

I personally recommended backing up your entire system onto an external hard-drive regularly--like once a month or once every couple of months, depending on how hard you use your computer.

If you have a PC, run anti-virus all the time. Run Ad-Aware and something like SpyBot at least once a week. Defrag every 6 months. Make sure you install Windows security updates. Clear your internet history and delete Temporary Internet Files regularly.

Silver
03-06-2007, 11:50 AM
TRUTH: It is not IF your computer crashes...it is WHEN your computer crashes!
All computers crash eventually, even new ones...and all computer wizards will tell you they get crashes, too! Nothing new...it just happens. Your computer will crash sometime this year! Especially those of us who do internet, forums, have Windows XP and Norton.

Agreed! I am a computer "wiz" and when friends' computers crash, they ask me to fix them. I just fixed a $1200 Notebook yesterday. (He owes me a day out on his boat for that one!) Anyway, I digress. ArtLady is dead on right when it comes to computer crashes. Yours WILL crash eventually. Even if you use all the security in the world, the fact is that hard drives do not last forever and one day they will fizzle out and die, taking all of your beloved knitting patterns with it.

I speak from experience. I'm a serious graphic artist and have lost all of my art not once, but twice which is far more devastating than losing a list of patterns. I now back up my important files every 3 months... like art, website work, and knitting stuff. Oh, and pix of hotties. :drool:

puppyluv
03-06-2007, 12:18 PM
But yeah, Windows is unstable. That's why I love my Mac. :heart: But using Norton or McAfee means your computer is LESS likely to crash.

I love my Mac too! :heart: Haven't had a crash in...well I don't remember, 5 years?
I don't even have a printer hooked up to my laptop, so I just bookmark patterns I'd like to print. I save them to one of two folders:
1. Patterns I may need
2. Patterns I MUST KNIT!

And when I save the bookmark, I rename it with a desciption to give me a better idea of what it is, for instance "Noro scarf knit lengthwise".
Also, on the "must knit" patterns I bookmark, I usually follow the name with a series of exclamation points, which sounds stupid, but it's my way of describing how keyed up I am about the pattern!

So when I go to find a project to knit, the ones with the most !!!!!'s are the ones I check out first!

feminine_earth
03-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Silver, your binder is awesome! I have the same binder, but I have not gotten around to making a table of contents. I do have all my patterns in plastic page protectors though. :teehee:

Question: do you put each individual page (double sided) into its own page protector, or do you stuff all the pages of one pattern into one page protector? I'm doing the latter at the moment, but only because I can't afford a gazillion page protectors. :rofl:

Jan in CA
03-06-2007, 01:19 PM
I've never had a computer crash to the point of losing anything, but I know it's possible. Or it may never happen. The point is to use common sense.

I always print out ones I paid for and of course there are the random others. If my computer crashes the rest can be replaced, it would just be a pain to do.

I said before that I keep them in a binder, forgot to mention that I don't hole punch, I use sleeves that have the holes already in them.

Silver
03-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Silver, your binder is awesome! I have the same binder, but I have not gotten around to making a table of contents. I do have all my patterns in plastic page protectors though. :teehee:

Question: do you put each individual page (double sided) into its own page protector, or do you stuff all the pages of one pattern into one page protector? I'm doing the latter at the moment, but only because I can't afford a gazillion page protectors. :rofl:

I put all the pages into one sleeve with the first and second pages as the front and back. I just rearrange them as I'm working to keep them in the page protector. I can't afford a gazillion page protectors either, plus it would take up way too much room! :)

MoniDew
03-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Organized? Well, I have a whole bunch I printed out and "organized" into the back flap of my favorite knitting book. Then I have more "organized" in a big stack on my desk. I have even more "organized" on my computer in pdf when my printer ran out of ink. Organized? Sure, I'm organized! :happydance:

I've got a pile "organized" on the nightstand next to my bed, half on, and half off on the floor. I've got another pile "organized" on the back of the potty, part of which has also "organized" its way into the stack of magazines I've got "organized" next to the potty. I've got a few "organized" right here in the paper tray of the printer, until they "organize" their way onto the floor, and a few more "organized" next to my chair in the TV room. Basically, I've got stuff of every imaginable sort "organized" all over the place.

yup, I'm an "organized" kinda gal!
________
Honda mr50 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_MR50)