PDA

View Full Version : What sort of rediculous items are in your stash?

Chel
03-06-2007, 09:24 AM
I have 7500 yards of sport weight chenille in a sage color. Seriously. I am a big girl but not THAT big. What am I going to do with 7500 yards?

suzeeq
03-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Make a king size blankie.

sue

bip
03-06-2007, 10:36 AM
I bought 15 skeins of moonlight mohair and another 15 or so of Moda Dea Cheri in bubble gum pink. I have no idea what I am going to do with either one.

Silver
03-06-2007, 10:37 AM
I bought 15 skeins of moonlight mohair and another 15 or so of Moda Dea Cheri in bubble gum pink. I have no idea what I am going to do with either one.
*turning on my hypnotic charm* You're going to give them to me! :teehee:

Jan in CA
03-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Chenille? :doh: I'm no help here...I don't like chenille in the first place so I'd probably donate it or sell it. :shrug:

brownishcoat
03-06-2007, 01:38 PM
What do you mean ridiculous items??!? That IS my stash!!! :shock:

:teehee:

aylaanne
03-06-2007, 01:39 PM
I think chenille would make a nice blanket. I don't have anything truly ridiculous in my stash yet, give me time though (and more room to keep yarn) :teehee:

bip
03-06-2007, 01:42 PM

...If your hypnotic charm were to succeed, what might you make with them? (my not so subtle attempt at stealing your ideas!)

CarmenIbanez
03-06-2007, 02:15 PM
I had a boat load of Lion Boucle in all kinds of colors. But I ebayed it last week!

dovey
03-06-2007, 02:18 PM

...If your hypnotic charm were to succeed, what might you make with them? (my not so subtle attempt at stealing your ideas!)

I would use one to make these arm/wrist warmers!

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kmm-wristlets.html

Jenelle
03-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Well... I have around 35 skeins of caron SS, about 5 of them have a little bit left to the skein. Most of them I have no idea what I'm going to use for. :shrug: :teehee:

dovey
03-06-2007, 02:23 PM
OOh this would be PERFECT! It uses 12 balls!!!! It would be great for traveling on a plane too.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60392-K.html

SabrinaJL
03-06-2007, 02:54 PM
I bought 12 balls of Moda Dea Wild and 4 of Bernat Frenzy while they were on clearance at Michael's. That was around the time I first started knitting and BEFORE I realized I don't really care for novelty yarns. I made my daughter a hat and scarf out of some of the Wild, but I still have 8 1/2 balls of it left.

samm
03-06-2007, 02:57 PM
What do you mean??? I hold dear every last scrap and skein in my stash! All the littlest bits of leftover ww are patiently being made into one of those fish affies. It may take five years, one fishie at a time, but think of the stashbusting! I love my stash!!! :muah: Even the orphan strands.

mwedzi
03-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Ooh, someone made a U-Neck vest (from Knit1?) with Moonlight Mohair. I'm making a crochet Fat Bottom Bag (from SnB Happy Hooker) with Moonlight Mohair held together with another yarn.

Silver
03-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Well, I love pink, and I think a little short sleeve pink cardigan would look so sweet. That might be too girly for you though.. ? You could bring down the pink by knitting it along with a black or other dark color. :)

DreamWeaver
03-06-2007, 09:54 PM
I have homespun :wall: what on earth made me to buy homespun? :wall: :wall: :wall:

psammeadred
03-06-2007, 10:42 PM
I have homespun :wall: what on earth made me to buy homespun? :wall: :wall: :wall:

Tell me about it - I have 8 or 9 skeins of Seafoam to make a blanket, or so I thought.

I also have tons of recycled yarn that I may not use, like a super-lightweight yellow wool that breaks if you look at it funny. (Thankfully, it's not m*ths, just wimpy wool.) My least favorite items in my stash are the Homespun, a ton of TLC Amore, several balls of WoolEase Thick & Quick, and a sweater made of a barely-spun yarn that is just about impossible when it comes to joining separate balls.

Silver
03-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Um.. what's wrong with Homespun? I know people don't like it, but why? I made a blanket out of Homespun and my brother in law loved it so much he "stole" it from me. I have a sweater made out of Homespun that feels soooo good against the skin, I don't even like to wear a bra under it. :oops:

madametj
03-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Um.. what's wrong with Homespun? I know people don't like it, but why? I made a blanket out of Homespun and my brother in law loved it so much he "stole" it from me. I have a sweater made out of Homespun that feels soooo good against the skin, I don't even like to wear a bra under it. :oops:

i've just gotta get some of this Homespun. i know every1 says its terrible, but i've heard its soft and i've gotta see what its all about. next time i will not avoid it when i see it at the store!

Stiney
03-06-2007, 11:12 PM
I love how Homespun feels, but I hate knitting with it. It's just such a nightmare whenever I touch it. :pout:

DreamWeaver
03-06-2007, 11:29 PM
I love how Homespun feels, but I hate knitting with it. It's just such a nightmare whenever I touch it. :pout:

You stole the words right out of my moulth. I love the look of homespun and I love the end product, but I just can't knit with it! I think it's cuz I have this nerodic habbit of pushing the fluffy part of the yarn back to the ball, so I get all of the fluffy stuff on the bottom of the little thread and it' hard to knit with (did that make any sense?)

So, I mean no offence to homespun lovers. I like the yarn too. I just don't love knitting with it :thumbsup:

suzeeq
03-07-2007, 01:40 AM
The thing about knitting successfully with Homespun is you need to use larger needles. Like 11s or bigger. Then it behaves better, though you can still get a needle tip into the thread instead of the whole stitch. Not a yarn you want to knit in movies with.

sue

Debbie
03-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Silver ... those would look SO CUTE at the beach :) (Moonlight Mohair Wrist Warmers )

Silver
03-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Well I never had a problem knitting with Homespun so I didn't know it was causing problems. I can see how it could because of how the yarn is made... I used it very early on in my knitting career and haven't used it again but I guess I was just too naive to think it was a bad yarn... it felt sooooo good. I did use larger needles with it so I guess that's why I never had any problems.

Man I still love that purple sweater (http://www.cometosilver.com/knit/fos/PurpleSweater.jpg) I made with it. *sigh*

Silver
03-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Silver ... those would look SO CUTE at the beach :) (Moonlight Mohair Wrist Warmers )
Hee... that was Dovey that suggested the wrist warmers :)

snowangel
03-07-2007, 08:52 AM
I just made a scarf out of the moonlight mohair that I found at this new store. I'm not sure if it's a chain or not, it's called Ollie's and it's kind of like an Odd Lots. Lot's of overstock, buyout stuff. They had the M Mohair, suede yarn, boucle, and some other lion yarn for 1.99 a skein. Now that I see those wrist warmers I think I need to go back so my scarf can be a set!

dovey
03-07-2007, 11:39 AM
I am actually using some Homespun right now to make a scarf for my mom. I am a very new knitter....so maybe I don't know better, but it is knitting up easily!

Chel
03-07-2007, 11:53 AM
I really think it is the homespun you get... I used a skein to make a lovely scarf and it was lovely. Then I got 3 skeins to make a shawl and ugh! It was nasty-rougher to the touch and split if I even looked at it wrong.

Needless to say that project is still OTN but not even considered on the WIP list.

syndactylus
03-07-2007, 05:53 PM
I have an untold number of skeins of overpriced (scratchy!) worsted mohair that sheds worse than one of my mother's cats and bleeds until it's neonlike.
But I'm still trying to come up with something useful to turn it into.

rebecca
03-07-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm with Silver, I used homespun shortly after i began knitting, my mil LOVES the afghan I made with it bc it's so soft, but it didn't really give me any problems.

Something ridiculous in my stash :shrug: All I can say is that I am in dire need of a yarn purchase, haven't made one or been surprised with any in a month....and that is ridiculous around here :wink:

Mama Bear
03-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Chel,

If you decide to try using the chenille for a blanket or afghan, you may want to do a swatch and wash it first. Chenille can worm horribly.

I have used chenille knit on much smaller than called for needles to make teddy bears. That usually takes care of the worming, and it can make a lovely fabric for teddy bears.

Mama Bear

bellium
03-07-2007, 06:54 PM
i bought a ball each of sugar and creme yarn in: white, red, orange, lime green, dark green, and yellow. i wanted to knit the sushi roll TP cozy that i saw on an episode of 'knitty gritty' - unfortunately, i can't get the dimensions right, despite messing around with my needle size and my pattern instructions, and after knitting four seperate sushi "tops", none of which have come out properly, i am getting ready to scrap the project until i can afford to get the yarn suggested in the pattern instructions. sooooo......if anyone has any ideas on projects to use up my sugar and creme, by all means, send them my way!

Dangles
03-07-2007, 07:04 PM
OOh this would be PERFECT! It uses 12 balls!!!! It would be great for traveling on a plane too.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60392-K.html

Wholly shawl, batman! :noway:

Mama Bear
03-07-2007, 07:22 PM
psammeadred,

The recycled yarn would probably work fine if you double or triple strand it. If you take a plied yarn, like say.. Cascade superwash or Jaeger Matchmaker merino, and pull a single strand out, you will find it is very flimsy falling apart. Plied, it's great.

I love to mix strands of different recycled yarns, you can get some lovely unique yarns this way.

Fragile recycled yarns can also be great for felting!

Mama Bear

Mulderknitter
03-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I am not so sure if this is ridiculous or not... ok it is... :roflhard: I have for some reason a TON of really awful red heart acrilic in really AWFUL colors, red, green, orange, purple....why? :wall: because it was cheap and I got it in bulk from someone destashing :doh: I kept thinking... I'm a Packer fan... all of my friends are Packer fans... maybe use the green and some of the horrible gold that I picked up and some random place for no apparent reason other than it was YARN and make some Packer related thing? :--- except that the yarn sucks and I would hate to not only work with it but also give it to someone!

Stiney
03-07-2007, 07:52 PM
The thing about knitting successfully with Homespun is you need to use larger needles. Like 11s or bigger. Then it behaves better, though you can still get a needle tip into the thread instead of the whole stitch. Not a yarn you want to knit in movies with.

sue

I did use big needles. Size 13.

I just chalk it up to "everyone knits differently" and for my knitting style, Homespun=Headaches.