PDA

View Full Version : OT: off of the "need haircut **updated photo"

Stonington
03-06-2007, 02:31 PM
You all had such good advice for Mason! Care to help me as well? My hair is down the middle of my back and has that dang poof ( I just can't seem to let that go :teehee: ). I would like to look nice for DD's wedding.. sooo what do you think?

TIA
anne

mwedzi
03-06-2007, 02:35 PM
I'd say, get rid of the poof in the front and cut it a wee bit, to maybe 2-4" beyond the shoulders, then get that slightly softly curled.

You should really take my advice with the tiniest grain of salt ever mined, though.

janelanespaintbrush
03-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Oh, this is such fun -- I love to play beauty consultant! Is your hair similar to what's in your avatar now? If so, I think a short, pixie-ish cut would be great on you. I think it would lighten up your look, and make you seem even more youthful and energetic. (Obviously, you already appear younger than you are if you have DD who's old enough to marry! ;)) Would that be too drastic?

auburnchick
03-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Is it naturally curly? How does it do in the humidity? How long have you worn it longer?

Stonington
03-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Is it naturally curly? How does it do in the humidity? How long have you worn it longer?

Nathalie

naturally wavey, but kinda flat on top (use a curling iron). Curls a bit more in the summer. Has been all different lengths... mostly on the longer side. I like what use to be called "wispies" around my face, really showing my age now lol.

anne

mwedzi
03-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Short would look good on you. There is just one thing I've always felt about the idea that short hair makes people look younger. It may be true, everyone says it's true, but precisely because everyone does it, I now consider it a style for older women. It's become so pervasive that now I actually associate that haircut with being older and so now the person *looks* older to me, if you know what I mean. :shrug: I know, I know, I'm a bad person, but I do think it. That being said, I don't know that you do (or should) care at all about trying to look younger.

How about shoulder length? Man, I am no help at all. Long, shoulder length, short. I dunno. But I'd definitely go without the front fluffy.

Stonington
03-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Short would look good on you. There is just one thing I've always felt about the idea that short hair makes people look younger. It may be true, everyone says it's true, but precisely because everyone does it, I now consider it a style for older women. It's become so pervasive that now I actually associate that haircut with being older and so now the person *looks* older to me, if you know what I mean. :shrug: I know, I know, I'm a bad person, but I do think it. That being said, I don't know that you do (or should) care at all about trying to look younger.

How about shoulder length? Man, I am no help at all. Long, shoulder length, short. I dunno. But I'd definitely go without the front fluffy.

lol.. well I don't want to look "matronly" I am 44 and like you have kind of felt short hair was for older women.. remember the day of short permed hair lol. I was kind of thinking middle of the road.. sort of like the Catherine Willows Character on CSI? What do you think?

anne

mwedzi
03-06-2007, 03:09 PM

lol.. well I don't want to look "matronly" I am 44 and like you have kind of felt short hair was for older women.. remember the day of short permed hair lol. I was kind of thinking middle of the road.. sort of like the Catherine Willows Character on CSI? What do you think?

anne

I didn't know the look cuz I don't watch the show, so I googled. you mean like this:
http://sonie51.joueb.com/images/cath1.jpg
I think that would be nice. Btw, that pic scared the bejeezus out of me. She looks like she's going to fry me with her eyes! But her hair is nice. :teehee:

janelanespaintbrush
03-06-2007, 03:26 PM
It seems like Catherine's hair constantly changing -- does it look the pic currently?

About this long/short-old/young business... sometimes I think long hair on adult women can make them look like they're trying to cling to their youth, particularly if the style is an obvious remnant of their teenage years. But it depends on the individual. I'm 36 and have hair most of the way down my back -- thankfully, I can get away with it... I say thankfully because it's really easy to take care of -- pretty much just wash and wear. Whenever I've had shorter hair, a lot more maintenance seemed to be required. No blow drying or styling for me, thank you. It's sort of funny because I loved to do that stuff as a teenager -- I must've fulfilled my quota then. :teehee:

candicane
03-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Do you have a good hairdresser. By "good" I mean does he/she make suggestions and have good reasoning for them? Do they have nice hair? I would never go to someone if I thought their style looked bad.

I honestly never know what to do with my hair. But my stylist does. Also, once you find a style that suits you, he/she can give you pointers on how to style yourself.

What type of salon do you go to? If you are going to a Best Cuts kind of place, you might want to splurge and go to a salon (I like Aveda salons), where you might get a little more attention.

Candice

Stonington
It seems like Catherine's hair constantly changing -- does it look the pic currently?

About this long/short-old/young business... sometimes I think long hair on adult women can make them look like they're trying to cling to their youth, particularly if the style is an obvious remnant of their teenage years. But it depends on the individual. I'm 36 and have hair most of the way down my back -- thankfully, I can get away with it... I say thankfully because it's really easy to take care of -- pretty much just wash and wear. Whenever I've had shorter hair, a lot more maintenance seemed to be required. No blow drying or styling for me, thank you. It's sort of funny because I loved to do that stuff as a teenager -- I must've fulfilled my quota then. :teehee:

sort of like this?

anne

Stiney
:shrug: I have short hair, and I think it makes me look more adult than when I have longer hair, but I'm still practically a kid (23.)

I think you'd look really cute with short hair, even disregarding age. If I were you, I would go to a bookstore, grab all the hair magazines, and flip through and find stuff you like. Also, talk to your hair dresser about what s/he thinks would look good and work with your face and hair (everyone's hair behaves differently). Once you get an idea of what you want, bring the picture in. I'm lucky in that I trust (more or less) my hair dresser, and I know it's just hair and it will grow back, so I'm pretty carefree about trying new things.

stacyk9
03-06-2007, 03:40 PM
I recently wanted a new haircut myself and I went to www.clairol.com (http://www.clairol.com/default.jsp?hf=true) and at the top there is a button called "Try It On Studio". You can either download your own picture or use the computer picture and try on different hairstyles, FOR FREE!!!!! It's alot of fun!

Stacy

Stonington
Do you have a good hairdresser. By "good" I mean does he/she make suggestions and have good reasoning for them? Do they have nice hair? I would never go to someone if I thought their style looked bad.

I honestly never know what to do with my hair. But my stylist does. Also, once you find a style that suits you, he/she can give you pointers on how to style yourself.

What type of salon do you go to? If you are going to a Best Cuts kind of place, you might want to splurge and go to a salon (I like Aveda salons), where you might get a little more attention.

Candice

Candice,
That is another problem, I have not found a stylist since coming her to Southern Maine. Compound that with the fact that I work with all men :doh: No one here to ask for referals from. ha! I really get nervous going to someone new - hence the somewhat untidy look right now.

anne

auburnchick
Hmmm...

I'm the kind of person who wants to "know" I got a haircut when I get one. In other words, cut enough off for me (and everyone else) to notice. I like to get my money's worth. :teehee:

Since your hair is only wavy, I say go for it and cut it. Maybe just above your shoulders. Work in those bangs.

Remember that it's only hair. It will grow back out if you get it cut shorter than you like.

janelanespaintbrush
03-06-2007, 04:00 PM
How about something like this (http://beauty.about.com/od/hairstylephotogalleries/ss/hairgallery.htm), except a wee bit tamer (not sticking up so much in the back)?

Stonington
03-06-2007, 04:03 PM
How about something like this (http://beauty.about.com/od/hairstylephotogalleries/ss/hairgallery.htm), except a wee bit tamer (not sticking up so much in the back)?

wow that is short! lol I don't know if I am feeling quite brave enough for that one Janel. Last time it was that short was in the 8th grade :teehee: and that was a LONG time ago. Very cute but a bit too drastic for me.. please keep those ideas coming though I appreciate them!

anne

Lisa Kay
03-06-2007, 04:19 PM
When is the wedding? I would suggest giving yourself a lot of time to get used to a new style before the wedding.

I'm not one for making big changes in my hairstyle all at once...tried that about three years ago and I feel like I've just recently recovered.

My best suggestion would be to do plenty of research. Find pictures online or from magazines...both styles you like, and also some you hate. Taking picures along helps a lot. Also, write down anything you want to remember to tell the stylist. If I don't have it written down, it's guaranteed that I will forget something. How much time do you want to spend on your hair on a daily basis? What have you liked about past hairstyles? What haven't you liked?

Most salons will let you schedule a free 10-15 minute consultation with a stylist. This has worked out really well for me in the past when trying to find someone new. It gives you a chance to get ideas from a variety of stylists, and get a sense of who you'd like to have cut your hair. They don't all have to be from different salons, either, although I think it's a good idea to shop around. I've called a salon before and said something like, "I'm looking to find a new person to cut my hair, and I'd like to set up consultations with a few of the stylists that work in your salon." Stylists usually have various levels of ability or training, and are usually priced accordingly. So you might want to ask about their various levels and set up an appointment with one of each (such as stylist, advanced stylist, master stylist...or whatever titles they use at any given salon).

Getting a few "professional opinions" can help give you more ideas, as well as a plan for how to get there.

I would suggest starting with cutting your hair just below shoulder length, and maybe add some long layers for movement (nothing shorter than chin length). And I also agree with the others who have said it's time to ditch the poof.

Good luck!

Stonington
03-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Yes.. I definately know it is time to ditch the poof... have tried many times, but now I am going to DO IT. I did find this online. I like it very much... ?

oh! the wedding is in April.

anne

Lisa Kay
03-06-2007, 04:31 PM
I did find this online. I like it very much... ?

:heart: Love that haircut!

Some people do really well with layers, but I've figured out through trial and error that I'm not one of them. At least not that many layers (hence my suggestion for long layers below the chin :teehee: ).

I would collect a variety of pictures that you like and take them with you to consultations. See what some stylists think about what would work well with your hair before you make a final decision.

Stonington
03-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Lisa and all! Thank you for all of the suggestions. :hug: This is the most generous of forms! I am printing off pics as we "type" :teehee:

anne

kemp
03-06-2007, 04:42 PM
I really like that style too!

I wouldn't automatically go short. Maybe start by getting a good 2" off with some soft layers so it's really healthy and have the bangs blended in like the pic you posted.

You can always go shorter later if you like the change!

Stonington
03-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Kemp,

Thanks!
That is exactly what I was thinking.. If I go too short I think it would be too much of a shock to my system :teehee:

anne

puppyluv
03-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Anne!
I'm not sure, I think I can tell from your pic that you have rather fine hair like me, the kind that doesn't like to do anything unless a curling iron is involved?
If you get some layering action going on, you should like the result.
Your hair will seem thicker, and without all the extra weight, getting volume will be easier.
I REALLY like that pic you posted, gorgeous.
BTW, have you tried a product made by "Rusk", called "Thickr Thickening Spray"...I swear by it!!! Available in salons only, probably.
Although your hair doesn't look quite as fine as mine...
When my neice was over she wanted to borrow a "pony tail binder". So I went and found her one. And she said "NO, not a piggy tail binder, I want to put ALL my hair in it!" And I just hung my wispy head in shame LOL :roflhard:

Stonington
03-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Anne!
I'm not sure, I think I can tell from your pic that you have rather fine hair like me, the kind that doesn't like to do anything unless a curling iron is involved?
If you get some layering action going on, you should like the result.
Your hair will seem thicker, and without all the extra weight, getting volume will be easier.
I REALLY like that pic you posted, gorgeous.
BTW, have you tried a product made by "Rusk", called "Thickr Thickening Spray"...I swear by it!!! Available in salons only, probably.
Although your hair doesn't look quite as fine as mine...
When my neice was over she wanted to borrow a "pony tail binder". So I went and found her one. And she said "NO, not a piggy tail binder, I want to put ALL my hair in it!" And I just hung my wispy head in shame LOL :roflhard:

lol yes it is very fine now! Before I had my daughter (many years ago!) it was so thick that like your neice I could never put my hair up in a scrunchie. I will look for Rusk, thank you for the suggestion!

anne

puppyluv
03-06-2007, 05:27 PM
I will look for Rusk, thank you for the suggestion!

Yes, do try it, you'll feel like you have a whole new head of hair, after you get those layers put in, and pump in the Rusk Thickr!
Also, for hairspray: Kenra Volume Spray 25.
The. Best. Hold. Ever.
Ideally I'd prefer a "flexible hold" spray, but that doesn't work out with my job (doggie groomer) so I go with the Kenra 25 and my hair stays put all day.
My mother is a beautician, so I have tried everything on the shelves.

Have you thought about doing some highlights, while you're at it?

saracidaltendencies
03-06-2007, 05:45 PM
If you haven't gotten your hair cut yet, what about a Heather Locklear type style? I think it's a great style, not too young, not too old...lol

http://www.hollywood-celebrity-pictures.com/Celebrities/Heather-Locklear/Heather-Locklear-10.JPG

Stonington
03-07-2007, 09:06 AM
I will look for Rusk, thank you for the suggestion!

Yes, do try it, you'll feel like you have a whole new head of hair, after you get those layers put in, and pump in the Rusk Thickr!
Also, for hairspray: Kenra Volume Spray 25.
The. Best. Hold. Ever.
Ideally I'd prefer a "flexible hold" spray, but that doesn't work out with my job (doggie groomer) so I go with the Kenra 25 and my hair stays put all day.
My mother is a beautician, so I have tried everything on the shelves.

Have you thought about doing some highlights, while you're at it?

Wish you lived near, I would have you introduce me to your Mum! lol. I would let her be creative! My hair has been highlighted, colored.. I went to beautician school years ago-started with very long hair and ended up with a feathery razor cut! Your Mum would recognize this phenomenon :roflhard: Thank-you for sharing all of your product and styling info! :hug: Think it is time to remove that awful pic taken with my phone and replace it with something else :teehee:

anne

Stonington
03-07-2007, 09:09 AM
If you haven't gotten your hair cut yet, what about a Heather Locklear type style? I think it's a great style, not too young, not too old...lol

http://www.hollywood-celebrity-pictures.com/Celebrities/Heather-Locklear/Heather-Locklear-10.JPG

I like that, very sleek and professional looking.. but feminine at the same time. I think I will print off all these pictures and take them with me... ask for help deciding! Thanks! :hug: is the avatar pic under your user name you?

anne

Lisa Kay
03-15-2007, 01:25 PM
:waving: Hi, Anne! Okay, I'm really curious about your progress...

Are you still collecting pix...have you gone in for any consultations...did you already get your hair cut or are you still thinking it over? Inquiring minds want to know! :teehee:

Stonington
03-15-2007, 01:35 PM
:waving: Hi, Anne! Okay, I'm really curious about your progress...

Are you still collecting pix...have you gone in for any consultations...did you already get your hair cut or are you still thinking it over? Inquiring minds want to know! :teehee:

Hey Lisa :waving:
I am going tonight! I have chosen the following: http://www.hairpedia.com/medium-hair-styles/medium-hairstyles/medium-hairstyles4.php .. am a bit nervous, my hair has been long for years now. :verysad: But I am ready! :cheering:
anne

Lisa Kay
03-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Oooh! Good luck!

Don't forget to do before and after pictures, especially since your hair has been long for years.

I hope all goes well and that you'll be happy with the results!

Stonington
03-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Oooh! Good luck!

Don't forget to do before and after pictures, especially since your hair has been long for years.

I hope all goes well and that you'll be happy with the results!

Well here goes.. not the best of picture-taken in the office here at work ha! I felt naked when she took the first cut 7 inches! :pout: The stylist also mentioned color "deep chestnut". Had fun! :cheering:

anne

stacyk9
03-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Your hair looks great! You picked a good haircut! :muah:

Stacy

Stonington
03-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Your hair looks great! You picked a good haircut! :muah:

Stacy

Thanks Stacy! :hug: you are sweet. DH :heart: kept saying.. she took your poof :pout: lol.. been poofy for as long as I have know him lol

anne

msoebel
03-16-2007, 09:34 AM
I love it! It is much more modern...I think you look younger.

It is very pretty.:flirt:

Misty

Stonington
03-16-2007, 09:41 AM
I love it! It is much more modern...I think you look younger.

It is very pretty.:flirt:

Misty
:hug: Thanks Misty! :heart:
anne

younger.. whoooo wheeee!

nonny2t
03-16-2007, 10:43 AM
I would shorten it up some and get it layered and texturized! Pay the $$$ and have someone really good do a good haircut on you and you can't go wrong.

Stonington
03-16-2007, 11:10 AM
I would shorten it up some and get it layered and texturized! Pay the $$$ and have someone really good do a good haircut on you and you can't go wrong.

You think I should have it cut again? :?? She took about 7 inches off.. Loved her! It was my first visit to her salon and I will definately go back :heart:

anne

Lisa Kay
03-16-2007, 03:56 PM
Wow! You're haircut looks wonderful! :cheering:

I think maybe nonny2t might have been replying to your original post before you got your haircut. Maybe she missed the before and after pix on pg. 3? :shrug:

I'm glad you were happy with the salon and that it was a good experience. Having that much hair cut off and making that big of a change can be stressful. Woohoo for you! :happydance: