PDA

View Full Version : Educate me about sweaters

cinnybuns
03-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Hi all,

Please someone edumacate me :rofl: on making sweaters. I mean after I pick the pattern etc. What does blocking mean? Why do we block, is it easy putting on sleeves things like that.

I'm really interested in making a sweater/cardigan I can bring to work but I haven't the slightest idea what some of these terms mean. :pout:

Silver
03-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Read this (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html). :)

Holly
03-07-2007, 12:00 PM
I would like to suggest a Knitting Pure and Simple pattern for your first sweater (knittingpureandsimple.com) They are mostly patterns that are knit in the round from the top down (no seams!) , and I find the patterns to be very easy to understand. They have a free baby cardigan sweater pattern that you can download and try -- a great first attempt at a garment because it is small, but still uses the same techniques you will use in an adult size garment. Many LYS have the various patterns for sale (generally in a binder), or you can do an internet search for patterns for sale online (they don't sell the patterns from the site). I am just completing a women's hooded tunic, and I've done the baby sweater.

Good luck!