PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrrrrr!!!! Tangled Mess!!! :(

nadja la claire
03-07-2007, 06:10 PM
I did a KA dye today on my KP Bare sock yarn. And I don't know what I did wrong but it's just one big tangled mess:doh: and I don't know what to do. :shrug: Has this happened to anyone else? Will I be able to untangle this? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh :gah: HEEEEEEEEEELP!!! :help: :help: :help: :help:

Thanks

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

rebecca
03-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry that you got all tangled...i've not done much dyeing so I won't be of any help, just wanted to say sorry...

hellokitty165
03-07-2007, 06:37 PM
I did a KA dye today on my KP Bare sock yarn. And I don't know what I did wrong but it's just one big tangled mess:doh: and I don't know what to do. :shrug: Has this happened to anyone else? Will I be able to untangle this? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh :gah: HEEEEEEEEEELP!!! :help: :help: :help: :help:

Thanks

Nadja xxx

arrr Nadja,

i did dye my merino last time and it might be i rinse it with too warm water... it kind of felt ... i dry it and i have not touch it yet... it seem that they felt and maybe that is why it tangled up ... oh boy ... i really dare not to touch mine now...since yours got tangled... are you trying to wind them into ball that got tangled midway ? or before u dry them got tangled ?... the stirring part got it mess up ...i think... i tied a long string when i stir them during dyeing so that i know where is the string to untied when i wind them up into ball... boy hope u get out of that mess soon ...sorry about that :verysad:

jeanius80
03-07-2007, 06:38 PM
not sure what to say :shrug:
check out knitty.com... the most recent issue has a good lesson on dying..maybe you could see where you went wrong? :hug: hope it helps.....

nadja la claire
03-07-2007, 06:50 PM

Thanks

Nadja xxx

arrr Nadja,

i did dye my merino last time and it might be i rinse it with too warm water... it kind of felt ... i dry it and i have not touch it yet... it seem that they felt and maybe that is why it tangled up ... oh boy ... i really dare not to touch mine now...since yours got tangled... are you trying to wind them into ball that got tangled midway ? or before u dry them got tangled ?... the stirring part got it mess up ...i think... i tied a long string when i stir them during dyeing so that i know where is the string to untied when i wind them up into ball... boy hope u get out of that mess soon ...sorry about that :verysad:

I haven't tried to wind it yet. The hank is still intact. It's just tangled. I'm afraid to try to wind it once it drys out. I've never dyed yarn before and I've been dying (no pun intended) to do it. I just hope I don't have to trash this yarn, the color came out so nice.

Nadja xxx

five_six
03-07-2007, 07:00 PM
I dyed a hank last week, that is still sitting over one of my dining chairs, looking much like that Nadja, except mine is pink... I managed to rewind about 6 lengths around another chair, in the hopes of getting it into a ball somehow, once i'd untangled it. But, I don't know if i can save it. I'm unwilling to let it go though... so every time i walk past the dining chair i pick it up and (wishfully thinking) give it a little shake, thinking that magically, all of the tangles will have worked out their disagreements, and it will just all fall into a nice neat little pile for me to go at, but that hasn't happened yet :verysad:

Oh well... I keep it there to remind me of my folly. Thinking I could wind 3 200yd balls back into a skein of 600yds, dye it from it's yucky white, then use it. Well, I got stuck at the use it bit!

syndactylus
03-07-2007, 07:03 PM
is it actually sticking together, or just tangled?
that happened when I dyed some malabrigo, but I got it unknotted and it was a little felted, but looked ok when I knit it. just a little bumpy. :doh: my aunt liked it that way!

Mariblue
03-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I just dyed two skeins of the Bare superwash this week too (my first time). I carefully tied it in several different spots, and it ended up looking much like yours does.
In any case, I feel your pain, but I do have some advice. Once it's dry, try your best to fit it around something, I used my dining room chairs. Pick an end to start with, and just take it slow. Try to keep it loose. Never EVER pull on the yarn, but as you are winding the ball, lift it over or under any pieces of yarn that are in its way. It takes time, so take many breaks! Try to make sure there are not any major twists in the skein, all those little extra loops will work themselves out.
I'm all ears if anyone can give advice on how to not let this happen!

SandraEllen
03-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Hmm... I just dyed some KP bare sock yarn this weekend (superwash/nylon) and it got kinda squiggly too. Luckily I have a swift but i had to keep stopping as I was winding it.

At least it is still in a hank. See if you can get someone to hold out their arms for you. That should help a lot.

When i first saw the pic I thought, "oh no... she took it out of the hank before she dyed it" but, thankfully, I was wrong.

nadja la claire
03-07-2007, 07:55 PM
I just dyed two skeins of the Bare superwash this week too (my first time). I carefully tied it in several different spots, and it ended up looking much like yours does.

You're supposed to tie it in several places!!!??? I feel like such an idiot!!!!! :oops: :doh: :oops: :doh: :oops: :doh: :oops: :doh:

Nadja xxx

five_six
03-07-2007, 07:59 PM
I tied mine as well, but i think i must have moved it too much when i rinsed etc (even though i though i barely moved it at all), cause when i untied it and went to roll it, instant tangled mess!!

And mine is 100% acetate.

Silver
03-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Did you leave the little ties on the hank? If you did, DO NOT PANIC. I've been here myself... here's how to fix it.

Find one of the two places where they tied a length of yarn around the hank.
Lay the hank on a table and expose that tied section.
Carefully separate each misaligned strand by moving it to the correct side of the tie. (I hope you're following me here.)
Once you have them all on the correct sides, pick up the hank by that tied area, hold it firmly with one hand and give it a good shake
Put an arm through the hank at the tied section.
Put the other arm through the other way as if you're crossing your arms in front of you.
Begin rolling your arms over each other and let the hank travel along.

After a short while, the hank will begin to open up. Periodically, hold the tied area again and fling the hank as if you're cracking a whip. Repeat the arm rolling technique.

Repeat these two techniques until the hank is all nice and neat again. :)
(I hope it works for you!)

NEXT time you're going to dye a hank, take some scrap yarn and tie 4 or more loops around the sides of the hank. Loosely though, you don't want to constrict the yarn any or else the dye won't get through. Just tie the loops loosely so they help keep the hank in order.

Mariblue
03-07-2007, 08:18 PM

You're supposed to tie it in several places!!!??? I feel like such an idiot!!!!! :oops: :doh: :oops: :doh: :oops: :doh: :oops: :doh:

Nadja xxx

No, no, you're not an idiot!
:grphug:
Just remember, it looks really knotted, but right now it's only a mess. Don't pull too aggressively on any part of the yarn, that's when the REAL knots start!

*KnitPixie*
03-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I had the same problem when I handyed my sock yarn last week. It looks ten times worse than yours. Do not fret it can be fixed. My loving Fiance has been fixing it for me :teehee: He says the easiest way to untangle a mess like that is to find an end in the huge mess and weave it through ocassionally untangling a knot :hug: :heart: I hope that makes sense give it a try its time consuming but alot less frustrating

DreamWeaver
03-07-2007, 10:14 PM
This happens to me all the time. A way to fix it is to find one end and roll it into a ball by hand. When you get to a place where the yarn is all tangled try to find where your strand of yarn is going, and open up that space and thread your slowly forming ball through. It takes tons of time and patience, (and a decent amount of chocolate to calm your frustration) but in the end it's worth it :thumbsup:

Stay strong, we're all here for you :hug:

Mariblue
03-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Did you leave the little ties on the hank? If you did, DO NOT PANIC. I've been here myself... here's how to fix it.

Carefully separate each misaligned strand by moving it to the correct side of the tie. (I hope you're following me here.)
Once you have them all on the correct sides, pick up the hank by that tied area, hold it firmly with one hand and give it a good shake
Put the other arm through the other way as if you're crossing your arms in front of you.

After a short while, the hank will begin to open up. Periodically, hold the tied area again and fling the hank as if you're cracking a whip. Repeat the arm rolling technique.

NEXT time you're going to dye a hank, take some scrap yarn and tie 4 or more loops around the sides of the hank. Loosely though, you don't want to constrict the yarn any or else the dye won't get through. Just tie the loops loosely so they help keep the hank in order.

Wow, Silver, thanks so much for taking the time to explain that! I can visualize exactly what you mean, and am going to try this next time. It would save so much time!

nadja la claire
03-07-2007, 11:23 PM

Yes, I left the ties intact. OH thank you, thank you, thank you, Silver!!!!! :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: Thank you everyone!!!! I feel so much better. :muah: :hug: :muah: :hug: :muah: :hug: I glad I'm not the only one to have this problem. I have a bunch of yarn I want to dye so, Silver I will not forget to tie it in the way that you have instructed. Oh Silver, you are so wise :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Nadja xxx