PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Conversations, How do you Respond?

luv2knit
03-08-2007, 03:15 PM
I was waiting for my DS in the orthodontic office the other day and always take my knitting. However the reception there always has to say something about my knitting and ask me a dozen questions. Usually I don't mind people asking me, but I found that lately I opt to wait in the car and knit that go in the office. She is the type of person who is kind of over the top when she talks to you about anything. What annoys me isn't so much that she asks about my projects, but she consistently tells me that she could never do that, she only knits in squares with one stitch. Ok, that is fine, but she has to tell me that every single time I am in there. And not to mention there are usually several other people waiting for their kids too!

This particular visit she did the same thing, awed over my shawl, made her usual comments, but then the older lady across from me, pulled out her knitting project and said "you must be an expert, can help me figure out what I am doing wrong." At that point I wanted to just disappear like Froto with his magic ring. But I didn't, I smiled and offered to help her, assuring her I am not expert. Turns out she was learning to knit and trying to make a scarf using 3 strands of yarns at a time. She was doing the garter stitch and I removed a yo and fixed her dropped stitch. Wasn't much, but she really was doing a good job from I noticed. I told her about our LYS and to check it out, everyone is really nice there and helpful. She attempted her project again, but then got frustrated and threw it back in her bag. Too which she added that she was only doing this for her sister and she didn't really want to learn to knit anyways! And sewing was a lot easier!

I smiled and said when I first learned it was hard and it did get easier, but I didn't really know what else to say! I didn't tell her this, I also sew, but it took me 30 something years to get really good at it. I only started knitting last year and wished I had started knitting 30 years ago, think of all the sweaters I could have already knitted! :roflhard:

How do you respond to people when you are knitting and they make you feel uncomfortable?

Jan in CA
03-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Well, I don't know what to tell you about the receptionist. :shrug: I think I'd try to sit where I'd be less in the open if possible or facing away from her if the chairs allow it. Or just do as you have been waiting in the car. :shrug:

As for the woman learning... I think I would have told her that it's easier to learn to knit with one strand. It's too easy to miss a strand or get accidental YO's when using multiple strands when learning. She may or may not like to hear it, but it's the truth so.. :shrug:

Krautie
03-08-2007, 03:34 PM
I like it very much, when I'm sitting in a waiting room, knitting a sock (yes, everybody can see the cuff, the heel and it's very clear that this is a sock and nothing but a sock) and then I hear the question from the left corner:

"Oh! Do you knit socks?"

No. I knit an airplane. :wall:

Or: "Oh! It really looks like a sock!"

Thanks. :grrr:

Who knits in public must accept stupid and annoying commentaries, I'm afraid so :shrug:

Ingrid
03-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I usually don't get comments, but then again wherever I knit, people are used to seeing me do it.

The stoooopidest conversation I've had was, "What are you knitting?"

"A sweater."

"My aunt crochets."

Me :??

syndactylus
03-08-2007, 03:52 PM
& then there's my orthodontic surgeon, who charged me an obscene amount of money for a fake tooth and some cow gum, and now after having paid half his kid's college tuition before he's even hit preschool not only expects me to get braces and bleaches and veneers (for his early retirement from kindergarten?) thinks I am just going to up and knit him a cashmere blanket too.
brings it up every single time.

:chair:

& I just laugh, perhaps because I'm always valiumed halfway to lala land and also because somehow telling him he's ripping me off already seems like it would be too rude. and maybe counterproductive.

Stiney
03-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Who knits in public must accept stupid and annoying commentaries, I'm afraid so :shrug:

"Who is alive must accept stupid and annoying commentaries" is one of the basic tenets of my life. :teehee:

But seriously, I've never had anyone but coworkers comment on my knitting. I would be freaked out and wonder about the mental health of any stranger who started commenting (unless they were another knitter.) But that's just the Northeast in me talking. :rofl:

luv2knit
03-08-2007, 04:44 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

That makes me feel better! I do get the strangest comments, nothing quite as funny as those. I do have two friends who constantly say "where's mine?" I always respond by telling them that if they buy the yarn I will knit one up for them..they have yet to take me up on it!

I doubt I will quit knitting in public, just need to work on my comebacks! I love knitting too much to give it up! :roflhard:

I did tell the lady who was trying to knit that she really was doing a good job, and I actually could have sat there and knit up her project myself. It was so soft and the colors were very pretty! I encouraged her a lot to visit our LYS.

My favorite place to knit is at the children's dance studio. The kids are always so fascinated with what I am doing. One time the teacher stopped class and "Said that is beautiful, what is that?" I was so wrapped up in what I doing I didn't even realize that she was talking to me!
:teehee:

hellokitty165
03-08-2007, 05:19 PM
wow knitting scarf using three strand of yarn ... she either wanted to finish fast or it must be really cold in your area :teehee:

i blushed... everytime someone compliment my work in the plane..then next will be "What r u making ??? i just replied with a smile and carry on with my work ...

redwitch
03-08-2007, 05:27 PM
The other day I was knitting in the Anthropology department tearoom when a lecturer walked in and said 'Oh,... crochet!'

To avoid that receptionist, maybe you could listen to an ipod or CD player - if not, just buy the earphones/earplugs and pretend they're plugged into something in your bag! Then ignore her talking to you - if she tries a fifth time, just look her way, give her a smile like you're humouring her for about .5 seconds, make it a fake one where you just pull back your lips to show your teeth. Dip your head at the same time like you are giving a token polite nod to whatever it is she's saying, then look back to your knitting and DON'T LOOK UP AGAIN!

With the headphones, if you can get a chair where she's not in your line of view, you could safely ignore her for hours!

Sarah

CarmenIbanez
03-08-2007, 05:45 PM
I occaisionally knit around my students. During study hall, or after school. I think it is cute that no matter what I am knitting, they all call it "sweater".

"I like your sweater"

"Is your sweater almost done?"

"Is that the same sweater as yesterday?"

So sometimes I'll tell them. It's a wrap, or a scarf, or a blanket.

"Oh, but what about the sweater?"

:teehee:

msoebel
03-08-2007, 05:57 PM
I like to knit in public. I like to teach new knitters (being fairly new myself). At least I did...until the overnighter on Friday night when one of the other chaperones and I sat down for a lesson. She has been bugging me to knit so for Christmas I bought her a set of needles and some yarn.

Anyway...we sat down to attempt knitting...our lesson almost ended when she threw it all-needles, yarn- at me! :shock: She is the kind of person who likes to do everything PERFECTLY and does not like it when she can't do everything "just so" the first time out.

She kept telling me she couldn't do (mind you, I'm only talking about casting on...). When she got that, she threw the ball of yarn at me AGAIN when we tried to knit.

I tried to explain that it comes with practice, but I don't think she believed me. Apparently, she believes I picked it up one day and just started knitting.:roll: I'm not sure that she will find knitting relaxing. :?eyebrow:

Misty

CarmenIbanez
03-08-2007, 06:02 PM
I don't think anyone that threw something at me would get second chance. :fingerwag:

ArtLady1981
03-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Hi'ya syndactalys!

Here is what I would do with that orthodontist!

GIVE HIM A PRICE!

Base your "BID" on this:

A: Cost of cashmere yarn for an average aran afghan.
(aran weight cashmere can be found in an Ebay yarn shop)
B: Total knitting hours by $20 per hour= Value of your time.

(Compute total number of stitches per row in an average aran afghan...this total will tell you how many knitting minutes per row...thereby the total hours...my current aran afghan has 90 knitting hours, for a total fee of $1800 for my "time"...if I were charging for it!)

Basically, "time and materials". He can understand this language!
He will either "pony up" or "shut up". Either way, it is a win-win for you.

Don't undersell your work. Either knit out of love for free...
or charge an amount that gives you market value for your work!

KathyinCali
03-08-2007, 06:09 PM
It took me over a year to find my knitting groove and finally enjoy it as a relaxing hobby. I was petrified in the beginning that I was going to mess up a stitch and have to start over....There was no way in the beginning I was confident enough to frog just back to the mistake. I come from a crochet background where ripping out was not a bid deal. To that end, I guess I'm coming along as last night I had to rip back a dozen rows on a shawl and I did it with relative ease :)

I get all types of comments on my knitting in public. I just smile and keep on knitting :happydance:

Stiney
03-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi'ya syndactalys!

GIVE HIM A PRICE!

Whereas I would laugh at him, and/or ask when I was going to get those braces for free. :rofl:

ArtLady1981
03-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Here is my PET PEEVE!

Here is the scenario: whilst happily knitting away in public...there are:
People who comment on what you are doing, discuss knitting with you ad nauseum...completely sucking you into the conversation...and then they finish with:
"Oh I just don't have the patience for knitting!"

Like, what has patience got to do with knitting? No no, lady, patience factors in when I come across people like you! Now THAT takes patience! :doh:

Knitting takes time, desire, perserverence and passion! :happydance:

jhelanee
03-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Here is my PET PEEVE!

Here is the scenario: whilst happily knitting away in public...there are:
People who comment on what you are doing, discuss knitting with you ad nauseum...completely sucking you into the conversation...and then finish with "Oh I just don't have the patience for knitting!"

Like, what has patience got to do with knitting? No no, lady, patience factors in when I come across people like you! Now THAT takes patience! :doh:

What she said! :cheering:

luv2knit
03-08-2007, 06:19 PM
She kept telling me she couldn't do (mind you, I'm only talking about casting on...). When she got that, she threw the ball of yarn at me AGAIN when we tried to knit.

I tried to explain that it comes with practice, but I don't think she believed me. Apparently, she believes I picked it up one day and just started knitting.:roll: I'm not sure that she will find knitting relaxing. :?eyebrow:

Misty

The samething happened to me when I tried to teach my 24 year old niece to knit at Christmas. She whinned the whole time, I almost threw the yarn at her... :teehee: but I didn't. I just left her alone with Amy's videos and let her try it, she really struggled, but eventually made a small triangle scarf for her 11 year old sister. She seemed to enjoy that, but I didn't try to help, I just waited until she asked. She didn't seem to have any trouble with a YO, but she hated doing purling, so she just stuck with Knit stitches. Yes, practice, it's like people think you learn it overnight, like knitting is the one thing everyone picks up on immediately, unlike all the other stuff in life we have to learn one step at time! :doh:

Oh I love the IPod idea, I may just have to get to get one!!!! :roflhard:

luv2knit
03-08-2007, 06:22 PM

Oh my goodness, yes, I hear that a lot! I get that a lot also because I homeschool my two kids! Knitting AND homeschooling take all three and a lot of tea and chocolate! :roflhard:

hunterjenn
03-08-2007, 06:24 PM
and then they finish with:
"Oh I just don't have the patience for knitting!"

:roflhard: The one I always get is (after the same long, suck-you-in conversation), "Oh, I could never do THAT." Like those of us who knit must be savants of some kind! And if you don't believe you could ever do it, why all the questions??? I should be used to it by now, though, having identical twins. My favorite annoying stranger question: "Are they twins?" No, this one's a puppy... :whoosh:

I did get asked what I was crocheting this week, too. :teehee:

marykz
03-08-2007, 06:37 PM
oh you hit a soft spot today!!!!! I had made a little bag for my S-I-L. really small, not lined, just meant to hold hankies and lipstick. And I sewed her a tissue holder. She was happy enough with them. But....

the next week she had to tell me all the negative things her mother (my M-I-L) had said about them. ("why would you ever want that? when would you ever use that?" that tissue holder looks like it should hold sanitary pads.") (ok I was really proud of them and they didn't look "crafty" or "homemade in the bad way.")

This whole conversation is bothering me. Did this mean the SIL didn't like them? If she did like them- why repeat bad things? Why would she think I want to hear bad things about items I made with love?!!! I was so floored at the time I just said I didn't care.

But I do.

(sigh) So I have no answers for you, just commiseration..... Marykz

mwedzi
03-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Oh, comments from people when I KIP or CIP don't bother me. What's the big deal? They're curious about what you're doing and often don't know much about it, probably just want to strike up a conversation or just looking for an intro to find out more about something that looks intriguing. I mean, if they came out with "what's that hideous thing you're making with sticks and string", okay, then I'd understand being upset. If they tell me they could never do it, I say sure you can, you just have to want to. If they tell me they don't have the patience for it, I tell them that they might in fact find it entertaining, but that they may be right. Some knitting does require a lot of patience and a lot of perserverance, and maybe they aren't the personality type to go in for that for a hobby. And some people call my crochet knitting and call my knitting crochet and even weaving! So what? They don't know any better and there was nothing malicious in it and I'm not really suffering in any way because of it. I just tell them one hook is crochet and two needles is knitting and I smile and they smile and there you have it. I don't know, maybe I just don't get peeved about stuff like this so much. :shrug:

With the receptionist lady, I bet if you were doing anything she'd talk about it over and over. Some folk are just like that.

So how do I respond to knitting conversations? Usually with a smile, is all, and a friendly answer to their question. I think I would only be stressing myself out more if I did anything else. The only one that gets me is the knitting is for grandmothers thing, which somehow magically manages to insult both me and my grandmothers (neither of whom knit, btw). Then Stabbing Nikki comes out, and she's not nice.

ArtLady1981
03-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Hi Marykz:

The person who passes along negative stuff...is as guilty as the originator of the poison.

I would say, the person who passes it along is worse because it is intentionally aimed at hurting you. The originator of the poison might not have intended for the words to reach your ears.

All in all, here is a big HUG! :hug:

I feel for you! I have never ever been spoken to like this woman spoke to you.
What a toxic person she seems to be.

MamaMer
03-08-2007, 06:47 PM
I am thinking I shouldn't knit socks in public anymore. I almost always get either:

"is that a sweater?"

Yep, for a really tiny child

or

"you can knit socks? Like the socks you wear?"

No, just like the socks you frame and look at all day. And it is as if people have forgotten that socks haven't always come from Target :doh:

iza
03-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Wow there's really something with doctors/dentists offices and knitting. I was looking at new yarn I had just bought while waiting to be called for a root canal treatment, and the assistant saw me. She became very excited and wanted me to knit her some socks, and that she would pay for it. She said I could use leftover yarn from my stash, she didn't mind. But then all through the root canal treatment, she started saying she'd like them blue. And thick. And maybe purple stripes. No pink she hates it. And people are crazy asking 10$ for a pair of socks. Of course she tells me all this while I can't answer anything and I'm in pain :grrr: That woman was so annoying :wall: :wall: :wall:

Needless to say I won't knit her anything.

ArtLady1981
03-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Here is an idea for those of you who are uncomfortable with 'what to say' when someone asks:
"Will you knit _______for me and I will pay you?"

Whaddya say? Some knitters are just good at putting out the big N-O...but....even those of us who are halfway assertive...maybe almost assertive...don't ya just kick yourself with the lame answers you come up with in response to that question: Will you knit this for me for money?

I am coming closer and closer to the development of a small-sized, discreet 'pricelist' which lists 10 of the most commonly requested items. This pricelist would go something like this as AN EXAMPLE:

1) A Simple Pattern Shawl or Poncho, sizes S/M ; Size L add $50
w/Premium Yarn $250
w/Better Yarn $175
w/Modest Yarn $125
2) A Simple Pattern Cardigan, sizes S/M ; Size L add $50
w/Premium Yarn $350
w/Better Yarn $275
w/Modest Yarn $199

So forth and so on....
The pricing factors in time and materials. Prices I listed are just an example.

So next time someone asks: Will you knit that for me?....put on your smiley face and say: "Why certainly. Here is my pricelist! Give me a call later and we can discuss your yarn choices!"

FYI: I don't want to knit for money...I knit out of love for free...and lots of it...but would knit for money if the money equaled what I make in my own field. I think most folks don't want to pay what a garment is worth (my time and materials) nor do they want to take their own time to knit, or even learn to knit. That is just my own observation out here on the West Coast. I am sure it is different in other communities.

syndactylus
03-08-2007, 07:27 PM
Dear Artlady,
I would be less "bemused" if this guy offered money.
Ohhhhh, no.
He expects it free!
(& it's like he really does expect it, too!)

:roflhard:

ArtLady1981
03-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi Syndactylus! What is he thinking???? Oh, I know!!!!!! His time is worth $XXX per hour...and yours is worth $0. That would be it! Did you see my post just above your last one? About the pricelist? Give it a thought. I am working on my price list now. I will develop it on WORD...4 per page...and just cut each sheet into 4 pricelists. Maybe edge it with my scalloped scissors. Maybe use photopaper, too. Make it look real pretty. Will share it with anyone who is interested!

Krautie
03-08-2007, 07:36 PM
FYI: I don't want to knit for money...I knit out of love for free...and lots of it...but would knit for money if the money equaled what I make in my own field. I think most folks don't want to pay what a garment is worth (my time and materials) nor do they want to take their own time to knit, or even learn to knit. That is just my own observation out here on the West Coast. I am sure it is different in other communities.

I think thats the same situation in Germany.....everyone (who can not knit or do not want to learn it) loves handknitted things very much and is very impressed but nobody will pay a reasonable price :??

Thats why I only knit for gift if I not knit for me.

And if someone asks me the "Do you..." or "Can you..." question I can say NO, yes :twisted:

Stiney
03-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Like those of us who knit must be savants of some kind!

Well, I don't know about you, but I am. :rofl:

auburnchick
03-08-2007, 08:06 PM
One of my favorite comments (and most embarrassing for dd) came when a teammate of her's told me, upon spying me knitting, "My grandmother knits too."

Dd wanted to crawl into a hole on the soccer field.

My response..."It's actually quite the 'hip' thing for us younger gals too." Mind you, I'm nearing 40 so can speak personally to that.

efsaturn
03-08-2007, 09:09 PM
that is so funny that people could get so frustrated when they are just trying for the first time and it is not perfect. Why do we expect things to be perfect the first time? Why are we so closed minded to learning? I used to think only grannies knitted and that knitted things were all like afgan squares and dollies. I had no idea that a sweater is knitted and that I could do that. I am glad I opened my mind!

psammeadred
03-08-2007, 09:27 PM
I just tell people that it's like learning to tie your shoes. It takes a while for the muscle memory to develop.

And I've also had people come up to me in the doctor's office and say, "Oh, I could never do that!" It was a stockinette stitch baby sweater, for crying out loud!

Knitting_Guy
03-08-2007, 10:03 PM
As a guy I always get some interesting comments when knitting in public, especially in a truck stop. I enjoy it, make a bit of fun out of it, and answer whatever questions they ask regardless of how dumb they are.

The dumbest question I've been asked so far is "Are you gay?" I explained the differences between the definitions of gay and hobby using language I won't repeat here but suffice it to say I made the person feel like a real *** by the time I was finished with them.

Braden
03-08-2007, 10:21 PM
People either gawk at me for being a guy knitting, or try to get me to make them stuff, for FREE! Yeah, I'll get right on that, if you want it, you can make it your self.

ArtLady1981
03-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi there Mason AKA Knitting Guy!

My oh my! What rock did that person crawl out from under? :shrug: What a question of mixed messages! It could fill paragraphs!

I might have said "Am I gay? Why Yes, I am very merry, cheerful and happy whilst knitting undisturbed by blockheads such as yourself! Now if you will excuse me, let me get back to being merry, cheerful, happy, and gay!" :happydance:

luv2knit
03-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Soooo my question is when did grandma learn to knit anyways? I suspect most of them learned long before they became a grandmother, don't you think? :shrug:

I like the idea of the price list! I certainly agree I knit because I :heart: creating something special for myself and others.

I am really enjoying reading all of your comments, I have spent most of the day :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: !

Mommy22alyns
03-08-2007, 10:59 PM
[I should be used to it by now, though, having identical twins. My favorite annoying stranger question: "Are they twins?"

At least yours are twins! :teehee: My girls are almost exactly 2 years apart and I've been asked several times if they're twins. :?

aylaanne
03-08-2007, 11:26 PM
The dumbest question I've been asked so far is "Are you gay?" I explained the differences between the definitions of gay and hobby using language I won't repeat here but suffice it to say I made the person feel like a real *** by the time I was finished with them.
I stopped and :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: when I read this. Mason, I love you. :muah: Don't ever change.

syndactylus
03-09-2007, 12:28 AM
ArtLady - I don't think I'm quite good enough to charge yet, either, is the thing. if I ever am, and am not too busy giddily making every sweater on the planet, I will definitely need your list then. :teehee:

as it is now I only inflict stuff on people who have to love it because it came from me.

Rorshach
03-09-2007, 12:39 AM
Well I've covered this particular topic before as far as being a guy and knitting in public. But currently, KIP brings more encouraging questions. Some like "How do I get started?" and how much does it cost to get started? So it's bothered me less and less these days, but when I do get asked a rude question, my typical response is not to answer.

auburnchick
03-09-2007, 12:43 AM
[I should be used to it by now, though, having identical twins. My favorite annoying stranger question: "Are they twins?"

At least yours are twins! :teehee: My girls are almost exactly 2 years apart and I've been asked several times if they're twins. :?

I got this quite often until a couple of years ago...and I have a BOY and a GIRL...28 months apart. I guess they must look a lot alike! :??

psammeadred
03-09-2007, 12:47 AM

I got this quite often until a couple of years ago...and I have a BOY and a GIRL...28 months apart. I guess they must look a lot alike! :??

My younger sister and I are 21 months apart. We both have red hair and very fair skin, but after that, the resemblance pretty much ends. People who have known us for years still get us mixed up. We've even had people ask if we were twins RIGHT AFTER we told them our ages. "Okay, if I'm 23 and my sister's 21, it would be a little difficult for us to be twins, don't you think?"

redwitch
03-09-2007, 02:27 AM
Same here - about 25 months apart, both fair redheads, and we used to get that a lot, especially as children.

BTW auburnchick, being twins has nothing to do with looking alike (beside identical twins). Fraternal twins are just that - siblings born at the same time. A female can have a male brother, so she can have a male twin (again, besides identical twins). So being a different looking boy and girl doesn't make them any less likely to be twins than different-looking girls are.

Sarah

hellokitty165
03-09-2007, 03:01 AM
Wow there's really something with doctors/dentists offices and knitting. I was looking at new yarn I had just bought while waiting to be called for a root canal treatment, and the assistant saw me. She became very excited and wanted me to knit her some socks, and that she would pay for it. She said I could use leftover yarn from my stash, she didn't mind. But then all through the root canal treatment, she started saying she'd like them blue. And thick. And maybe purple stripes. No pink she hates it. And people are crazy asking 10$ for a pair of socks. Of course she tells me all this while I can't answer anything and I'm in pain :grrr: That woman was so annoying :wall: :wall: :wall:

Needless to say I won't knit her anything.

you should budget $10 ...buy the cheapest yarn and needle in town and charge her $10.... some people really got the NERVES !!!

hellokitty165
03-09-2007, 03:10 AM
as you know i am a housewife who travelled with my husband to work most of the time.... so guess what people alway assume that i have alot of time knitting or doing stuff for them... but they never consider i had my own things to do...i wash my DH and my own clothes with hands over the basin and dry them on yarn that is tied on poles near the window... i knit stuff to give people that i like....i do marketing and cooking all meals a day and all this need planning... and still people can go "i would love to have this , this and THIS ... i wanted this yarn and this kind !

WOW ! they really got the NERVES to demand ... i just smile and never say anything... i never like people to control my life.....i rejected that since i was born... i am more care-free type and never like people to plan my schedule as to what to do and what to knit !

hellokitty165
03-09-2007, 03:12 AM

My oh my! What rock did that person crawl out from under? :shrug: What a question of mixed messages! It could fill paragraphs!

I might have said "Am I gay? Why Yes, I am very merry, cheerful and happy whilst knitting undisturbed by blockheads such as yourself! Now if you will excuse me, let me get back to being merry, cheerful, happy, and gay!" :happydance:

if that is so ...we are all a bunch of LESBIANs who knits !

aineepooh1
03-09-2007, 04:16 AM
Hello Kitty~~ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I have heard that argument before that people assume that if you don't work outside the home YOU DON"T WORK and have lots of free time~ not always the case and even if you do~ how you spend you free time is YOUR decision not theirs to make :hug:

Artlady~ I am really loving your input on this subject b/c people do sometimes tend to be very demanding about what they want. They don't take into consideration the time, cost and TLC that just goes into making any Handmade, created or Crafted project.. :??

So... I think those of you who don't feel our knitting skills are marketable per se.. you can always print a price list off, show it to obnoxious people and watch them have STICKER SHOCK!! Then just sit back and :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: at their ridiculous behavior ..~

Many people are just so guilty of not THINKING before they SPEAK :shrug: I know I am one of them :oops: :out:

If all else fails and the pushy obnoxious people show up and demand MAKE ME A BLANK ~ Just do what I do and say... I will add you to my list...
My list is infinite b/c I have things I want to make for fun, things to make to learn a new skill/technique, things I make purely out of :heart: :heart: and those who I will make it for them when I take pity on their stupidity or when DONKEYS FLY~!! :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

:hug:
Ainee
:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

hellokitty165
03-09-2007, 06:02 AM
another thing we could do when they demand us to knit them something... we should dig into our stash and give it to them...we are helping them and at the same time reducing our stash .... :roflhard: :roflhard:

Debbie
03-09-2007, 09:48 AM
I got to KIP last week ... without a bra! I do this at home most of the time ... but IN PUBLIC ???? Have you had your yearly mamogram? You can be assured of an hour or so to KIP in PUBLIC ... bra-less! Please, if you have not made your appointment for this year's mamo ... do it right now and enjoy REAL freedom ... KIP W/O B

carmabelle1191
03-09-2007, 10:06 AM

My younger sister and I are 21 months apart. We both have red hair and very fair skin, but after that, the resemblance pretty much ends. People who have known us for years still get us mixed up. We've even had people ask if we were twins RIGHT AFTER we told them our ages. "Okay, if I'm 23 and my sister's 21, it would be a little difficult for us to be twins, don't you think?"
I used to have tha same problem. My brother and I are 16 months apart, and we were both the same height, same color hair ect., so people always used ot think we were twins. :wall: People have stopped mistaking us for twins now, but my mom always said it was annoying having to correct everyone.

feministmama
03-09-2007, 02:06 PM

So what about folks who are *actually* lesbian. Are we unhappy knitters :??

auburnchick
03-09-2007, 02:17 PM

I used to have tha same problem. My brother and I are 16 months apart, and we were both the same height, same color hair ect., so people always used ot think we were twins. :wall: People have stopped mistaking us for twins now, but my mom always said it was annoying having to correct everyone.

You'd think that once the ole boobs come in that they would be able to tell the difference! :roflhard:

beckyrhae
03-09-2007, 02:39 PM
I knit in public pretty often. I spend alot of evenings with my friends at Starbucks and I get all kinds of questions and comments. I work there, so the customers know me. In fact one of them gave me my unoffical nickname. "The knitting Barista" ... as in "Oh, that knitting barista. " It makes me laugh.

I've never had anyone annoy me really, its usually just people in total awe, or people interested in what I'm doing. I even had a customer bring me his moms old knitting stuff when she passed away. Some super cool yarn that she spun herself and needles... he said he wanted to give it to someone he knew would use it. I made him a scarf with some of the yarn so he could have something of his moms, sorta. His reaction to that was one of the greatest things ever. Made me all warm and fuzzy.

I always encourage people to visit our LYS and tell them about our guild and meeting dates, nights we just sit and knit.... its great.

bip
03-09-2007, 02:42 PM

You'd think that once the ole boobs come in that they would be able to tell the difference! :roflhard:

She didn't just say, "Yeah, and the 22 months I was still carrying this one after that one was born were awful!"

madametj
03-09-2007, 03:40 PM
One of my favorite comments (and most embarrassing for dd) came when a teammate of her's told me, upon spying me knitting, "My grandmother knits too."

My response..."It's actually quite the 'hip' thing for us younger gals too." Mind you, I'm nearing 40 so can speak personally to that.

:roflhard: i'm sorry auburnchick, but i must laugh at u now. :teehee:
i can imagine what color my face would turn if my mom told someone i know that knitting is "hip" for "us younger gals." lol

as far as i'm concerned the only people would actually use the word "hip" are pretty old by now :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
03-09-2007, 03:42 PM

i can imagine what color my face would turn if my mom told someone i know that knitting is "hip" for "us younger gals." lol

as far as i'm concerned the only people would actually use the word "hip" are pretty old by now :rofl:

I use the word "hip" all the time and...never mind.

nadja la claire
03-09-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi'ya syndactalys!

GIVE HIM A PRICE!

Base your "BID" on this:

A: Cost of cashmere yarn for an average aran afghan.
(aran weight cashmere can be found in an Ebay yarn shop)
B: Total knitting hours by $20 per hour= Value of your time.

(Compute total number of stitches per row in an average aran afghan...this total will tell you how many knitting minutes per row...thereby the total hours...my current aran afghan has 90 knitting hours, for a total fee of $1800 for my "time"...if I were charging for it!)

Basically, "time and materials". He can understand this language!
He will either "pony up" or "shut up". Either way, it is a win-win for you.

Don't undersell your work. Either knit out of love for free...
or charge an amount that gives you market value for your work!

I agree, let him know that your time and talent are worth something too. And yarn ain't free. :!!!:

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

Stiney
03-09-2007, 04:20 PM

I use the word "hip" all the time and...never mind.

I use the word "hipster" all the time. :shrug: :teehee:

GinnyG
03-09-2007, 04:40 PM
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
So now I'm EMBARRESSED............ I am a RN in a large clinic, I run a Cardiac Rehab Program and right outside my gym/office is a very large waiting room for several Practitioners. There are often people sitting and knitting, I always go over and ask them what they are knitting.

Maybe I should just leave them alone, BUT i TRY not to ask stupid questions :shrug:

nadja la claire
03-09-2007, 04:49 PM
People are always asking me if I'm knitting or crocheting. Sometimes after I've told the person that I'm indeed knitting they then ask "So what's the difference?"

Once when I was waiting for the train some guy walked over to me and asked me what I was doing. I told him I was knitting and then he said "Are those authentic knitting needles?" :shock: I thought to myself Jeeze I hope this idiot doesn't think that's a good pickup line. I gathered my stuff then looked at him and said "No, no they're not." And walked away.

The one thing that really bugs me is that complete strangers think that they have the right to just walk up to me and start feeling my work without even asking. I remember before Christmas I was on a break at work knitting a gift and this student just walks up and grabs the end of the scarf and just starts pawing it telling me "Oh this is no good, it shouldn't be puffy like this." :grrr: :!!!: I took a breath and said that when I finished it I would block it so that it would lie flat. I then took the baby alpaca and silk scarf from her hands and continued to knit.

Nadja xxx

newbieknit
03-09-2007, 05:01 PM
I am frequently asked to knit items for people I know. Usually just making them be in charge of purchasing the materials scares off most of them... they walk into the LYS and are overwhelmed. If I want to knit the project I'll go with them to the LYS and guide them through the process. That way they get what they want, and I get a yarn I'd like to work with.

I have been asked to knit hats for quite a few people whose availability to go to the LYS didn't mesh with mine, so I'd just ask them what colors and go purchase the yarn myself. Once the project is finished, I usually write them a note with the cost of the yarn and any embelishments, the time it took me to design and knit the item, the option of a tip, and the care instructions. I have been pleasantly surprised by the money these people give me. I was once given a $50 tip for knitting a very simple hat! That $50 afforded me the opportunity to buy the new Knit Picks Needles!

Of course, I cannot deny any child who asks me to knit them something. Especially those little ones who want me to knit them something because they would like to wear an item I created for them specifically.

As far as answering knitting questions when I KIP, I generally try to be very gracious. Anymore, it is rare that people try to strike up conversations with complete strangers. They are obviously interested in what I'm doing and have taken the time to ask me. I just remember all the times that I asked someone what they were doing and got the brush off, and how I felt like a complete idiot. Once, before I was a knitter, I was sitting in a waiting area and this older woman was 'tatting'. I was completely mesmerized. I asked her what she was doing and making, and this sweet woman explained the whole thing to me, showed me over and over again what to do, and really encouraged me to give it a try. She inspired me, and I hope one day I'll inspire someone else. Now, if it's just a guy asking about my knitting cuz he thinks I'm hot and he wants my number.. well... I stick to talking about what I'm knitting for my beloved husband! :)

EssenceRose
03-09-2007, 05:16 PM
I must be strange. I don't mind when people strike up conversations about my knitting. I tend to knit in public a fair bit (waiting to pick my son up from school, in a waiting room, etc). I've had all kinds of comments and whilst I admit some have annoyed me, more often than not the comments are from people who are just curious or are simply trying to make conversation.

The only "bad" comment I've had was when I was knitting my first ever sock (so I was a bit protective of my work) and somebody said "OH what are you knitting?" I say proudly, "A sock!" -- ha! She goes "oh... a baby sock? Surely there's no way that will fit an adult! (it WAS an adult sock and I was SO disappointed).

But every week after that when we met up (it was a parenting group) they checked on the progress of my little adult sock and made comments on how it was looking more and more like a real sock to wear. So I take the comments with a grain of salt now and if anybody is asking me about my knitting, it's probably because they are just curious.

I know I used to be one of those people who said "Oh, I could never do that" and "Oh, I don't have the patience for that!" And look at me now!! LOL

knit-errant
03-09-2007, 05:59 PM
I don't really mind if people ask about my knitting/crocheting. I don't think I've had any negative or awkward comments yet, and usually we end up in a conversation about what I'm working on, what they or their mother/grandmother/whoever did. It's usually kind of fun.

Actually, today I was crocheting when I went to pick up my daughter from school. Before she came out, a little girl came up to me (kindergarten/1st grade) and asked me what I was doing. I told her I was crocheting and it would turn into a shirt eventually. She looks at it and says, "That little thing?!" and giggles. (I just started last night, and I maybe have a 12"x16" rectangle.) We talked for another 5 minutes or so and by the time her mom came, she announced that it was "SO cool! And PRETTY!" and she wanted to learn. It was awfully cute.

ArtLady1981
03-09-2007, 06:00 PM
I have a friend whose husband is ALWAYS being asked to do favors. He is a self employed carpenter. I just remembered what his standard answer is! A FEW SIMPLE WORDS, that cause no offense, but get the point across:

"Oh, I'd really love to but I just can't." [PERIOD. no further words.]

Who says he needs to share the "why" he can't? [He said what he meant and he means what he said: He would love to help but just can't!]

BTW: he is a church-going family man with 5 children! Does that tell you what his priorities might be on the weekends and after work during the week?

His "I'd really love to but just can't" response is perfect for many situations where you are being asked to do something you can't do, or don't want to do. When bolder people press further and ask "why"...he says "I'd rather not say". If they ask "why can't you say?" he would say "I'd rather not say." :teehee: And he is a very friendly, outgoing, sweet kind of guy. The life of any party! Someone who can appear to be a pushover.

Me personally, being the chatterbox that I am...I gleefully go on and on when someone asks me about my knitting while in public...they are probably sorry they asked! The only thing that bugs me is when they say "Oh I just don't have the patience for it". I cannot figure out what that really means. There is more to it than "I don't have the patience for it". It sounds like a fake response. It is saying something else that I just can't put my finger on. It bugs me. I don't why it bugs me and that bugs me, too. :teehee:

REVS
03-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Wow, what a great thread! I just read the whole thing on my lunch break... :rofl:

I'm a pretty new knitter, and therefore haven't been KIP for long either. I haven't encountered many comments so far, and those have been only positive and encouraging.
But it seems just like any other thing you do in public that sets you apart from the rest (walking with your kids, walking the dog, having a different hair/dress style from most people, etc) - I guess it just invites comments.
In general I don't mind the truely interested ones, even if they don't know anything about it. What bothers me is the judgemental ones.

Artlady, :notworthy: I LOVED your comments on this whole thread! If/when I encounter annoying, self-elevating comments on my knitting I will be prepared and have a whole arsenal of comments at the ready.

REVS
03-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Wow, what a great thread! I just read the whole thing on my lunch break... :rofl:

I'm a pretty new knitter, and therefore haven't been KIP for long either. I haven't encountered many comments so far, and those have been only positive and encouraging.
But it seems just like any other thing you do in public that sets you apart from the rest (walking with your kids, walking the dog, having a different hair/dress style from most people, etc) - I guess it just invites comments.
In general I don't mind the truely interested ones, even if they don't know anything about it. What bothers me is the judgemental ones.

Artlady, :notworthy: I LOVED your comments on this whole thread! If/when I encounter annoying, self-elevating comments/requests on my knitting I will be prepared and have a whole arsenal of comments at the ready. Thank you!

I can see how the "I wouldn't ever be able to do this" or "don't have the patience to" comments can annoy you. You just went to great lengths to try and peak their interest. Maybe it can bother you less if you just take it as a compliment - you already peaked their interest by just doing what you did - knitting! They are probably just telling you that they are impressed and that it looks complicated and you look like you're doing it very well. Not everyone wants to learn, but if they still admire you for what you do, that's great.
I'm a female physicist and whenever that comes up in conversation I often get "Oh, that's the one subject I always HATED in school", or "Wow you must be smart" - How do you answer that? - It took me a while to get that they don't hate ME, just that they don't know anything else to say... Or maybe I'm just fooling myself about that... :??
I used to try and justify why I liked it and they didn't, but by now I've realized that I won't "convert" them and I just move on.

Ali
03-09-2007, 06:58 PM
I think the "I don't have the patience for it" comment is annoying because it always sounds slightly insulting.
There is nothing wrong with being patient.
It's a bit like people telling you they don't have the patience to have kids...

This is OT but related to things strangers talk about...I once had a woman actually ARGUE with me over the sex of my baby son. He was dressed in an orange t-shirt and striped overalls, bright but definitely not girly. After the initial incorrect guess I said "he's a boy." Then I get "she can't be a boy" I assured her that yes, he was a boy.
This was the reply, "no, SHE is not a boy, she is too pretty to be a boy"
Incidentally my daughters get called boys all the time. Even when wearing HOT PINK.

nadja la claire
03-09-2007, 07:11 PM
I don't mind when people ask me what I'm knitting, that's fine. I just loose patience with stupid or rude comments or as I mentioned before when people feel they have the right to just start touching my work without asking.

Nadja xxx

auburnchick
03-09-2007, 07:15 PM
You know, I had an interesting (short) conversation with a sub at my school today.

I went into a teacher's room (during planning, of course) to do some software updates on her computer (for those of you who don't know, I'm a computer tech at my school). Teacher was out and had a sub.

The sub said, "Oh your job must be interesting."

I said, "Yes, I enjoy it a lot. It's always something different."

She said, "I like computers, but I could never do what you do."

I told her, "I'm self-taught. I learned everything on my own by practicing."

She harrumphed.

I then continued, "...Just like last summer when I taught myself to knit. You just decide to do something and do it."

I NEVER say I can't do something. If I see something that I want to do, I figure out how to do it (hence my interesting trips to Home Depot).

So, that's my standard response to people (other than the "hip" comment to teens). I always wonder WHY people think they "can't" learn. I think it's really laziness.

auburnchick
03-09-2007, 07:19 PM

Ok, Madame...

What word is THE word to use then??

By the way, during the week after my daughter's knee surgery, I felt like we got very close (especially given that I was holding her hair while she puked every day from the pain meds...).

Anyhow, she had some friends who came to visit every day, and I would tease my daughter by telling her friends that we were "tight." Daughter groaned and stated that NO ONE uses that word anymore either.

I wanna be cool... :wall:

P.S. At least I didn't use the word "Knitster..." :roflhard:

luv2knit
03-09-2007, 07:45 PM
After reading over some of the funny and some of the more serious responses, I think that if I am going to knit in public, I should not worry about people silly responses and learn to smile a lot more! :D I do enjoy having people talk with me about my knitting, it's just those few silly remarks that get to me. I think it's just the one receptionist who gets on my nerves and someone said that she probably would do that if I was doing anything else.

Thanks everyone for cheering me up!

:cheering:

AnotherBecca
03-09-2007, 07:58 PM
The stories in this thread are great!

I have a bad habit of knitting gifts at the very last minute. Even if I begin months ahead of time, I end up setting it aside until the last 2-3 weeks! That said, I knit in public quite often. Or semi-public anyway.
I teach 1st/2nd grade and when we go out to the playground for recess, I take my knitting bag and work on my project if it's a simple enough stitch pattern. That's 15 minutes of knitting I finish up standing right there on the playground. The kids often come up to me and check my progress and remind me how many days I have left to finish! They always want to know what it will be and who it is for. Usually a baby shower gift, so they always ask me "Did the baby like the blanket?" Some of the more knowledgeable kids in the group explain that showers come before babies so the baby probably hasn't even seen it yet.
I also sponsor our school's scrapbook club, and when my gift-giving deadlines are drawing near, I take my projects. The kids are totally mesmerized, and really bewildered by the fact that I can knit while I'm talking to them. One girl said "I think we should have a knitting club instead!" (I think so too!)

When I take my knitting to lunch or something though, then I have to hear the other 'grown-ups' and their "I don't have any free time for that" garbage. I want to say, "Do you watch tv? Are your hands never idle in a day?" I always just say "Well, you have to find a balance and find a way to make time for things that are important to you, even if that means getting up earlier or staying up later or just listening instead of intently watching your favorite programs".

madametj
03-11-2007, 06:43 PM

Ok, Madame...

What word is THE word to use then??

By the way, during the week after my daughter's knee surgery, I felt like we got very close (especially given that I was holding her hair while she puked every day from the pain meds...).

Anyhow, she had some friends who came to visit every day, and I would tease my daughter by telling her friends that we were "tight." Daughter groaned and stated that NO ONE uses that word anymore either.

I wanna be cool... :wall:

P.S. At least I didn't use the word "Knitster..." :roflhard:

ah, "tight" i remember when we used to use that word back in the 5th grade :teehee: classic example:

Melissa: "Mom, this dress you made me is tight!"
Melissa's mom: "Where? :?? "

I'm sorry i can't really tell you what THE word is. it may sound a little harsh, but everything parents use "turns to old"

my mom has been saying things are "the bomb" lately ( :doh: hello? 1995?)

i've also witnessed her shouting " :cool: BOO-YAH!"

... :wall:

Ingrid
03-11-2007, 06:49 PM
When the high-schoolers I work with use the word tight, they mean that they're really getting angry and tense.

"You better stop now, cuz I'm really gettin' tight, yo."

I added the yo, just because I'm so sick of it, yo. :teehee:

Dangles
03-11-2007, 08:15 PM
I knit in public pretty often. I spend alot of evenings with my friends at Starbucks and I get all kinds of questions and comments. I work there, so the customers know me. In fact one of them gave me my unoffical nickname. "The knitting Barista" ... as in "Oh, that knitting barista. " It makes me laugh.

I've never had anyone annoy me really, its usually just people in total awe, or people interested in what I'm doing. I even had a customer bring me his moms old knitting stuff when she passed away. Some super cool yarn that she spun herself and needles... he said he wanted to give it to someone he knew would use it. I made him a scarf with some of the yarn so he could have something of his moms, sorta. His reaction to that was one of the greatest things ever. Made me all warm and fuzzy.

I always encourage people to visit our LYS and tell them about our guild and meeting dates, nights we just sit and knit.... its great.

Awww :)

MoniDew
03-12-2007, 12:18 AM

A year and a half ago, I knitted an entire sweater during the week and a half my son was in the hospital recovering from a wreck. (I planted myself in my son's room and refused to leave until he did.) His friends also kept tabs on the sweater's progress during visits with him. My children are no longer phased by my knitting, but to his friends, it seemed an endless source of facination.
________
FORD MUSTANG MACH 1 HISTORY (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Mustang_Mach_1)

GinnyG
03-12-2007, 07:20 AM

One of my patients wrote in an evaluation of services theat I was "Da Bomb", I had to call my daughter to find out if that was a good thing or a bad :oops:

madametj
03-13-2007, 07:15 PM

One of my patients wrote in an evaluation of services theat I was "Da Bomb", I had to call my daughter to find out if that was a good thing or a bad :oops:

psammeadred
03-13-2007, 08:49 PM

We once had a pharmacy student sign his test paper "Da Bomb, aka Tofu Delivery." How would you like to have your prescription filled by "Da Bomb?"

Epinoia
03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
After reading over some of the funny and some of the more serious responses, I think that if I am going to knit in public, I should not worry about people silly responses and learn to smile a lot more! :D I do enjoy having people talk with me about my knitting, it's just those few silly remarks that get to me. I think it's just the one receptionist who gets on my nerves and someone said that she probably would do that if I was doing anything else.

Honestly, I disagree with your new route. I am somewhat disturbed by a lot of the responses I've been seeing that advocate the "smile and ignore" method. If someone approaches you and asks about your knitting, by all means have an adult conversation with them about it. If they make comments such as "I don't have the patience for that," raise an eyebrow quizzically and say that they certainly have an interest in it if they're approaching a stranger to talk about it, and that's usually all you need to start.

As for the people who's hands roam onto your fabric, tell them sternly and immediately not to touch. No person in their right mind would go ahead and grab the arm or clothing of a stranger, because in this society, it is hostile to do so. The same goes for knitting: tell them to back off.

When I was living in nyc, and knitting on the subway, I sometimes had men touch my knitting, and I promptly told them to f* off. Just because it makes you feel good to knit in public does not mean you have to be an ambassador for the art of knitting, and spread it like some gospel to [weird] strangers. You knit for yourself, and others will just have to get used to it. We're all adults here, there's no need to put yourself in an uncomfortable situation for the sake of a stranger.

As for the men who knit: You're awesome! Keep doing it!

I love the pricelist idea, too.

madametj
03-13-2007, 09:07 PM

i think u've got the right idea. people are people, and people sometimes say and do weird things. as long as what they say isnt overly offensive, theres no reason to let anyone ruin ur day, or to become some grinch who growls at anyone who touches or glances at your knitting.

I'm glad u're all cheered up! :hug: :happydance:

ecb
03-14-2007, 12:52 AM
When people tell me they could NEVER learn to knit its just TO hard, I say knitting may be hard, but how easy was driving a stick shift when you started driving?
Some times they come back with, 'well, what do you drive anyway?' I tell them I cannot afford to Drive a tractor trailer anymore, so I just have my little Civic Hybrid Manual Transmission car

So what about folks who are *actually* lesbian. Are we unhappy knitters :??
Oh DON'T get me started
as a gay mother of 3 kids (2 of whom get mistaken for twins in the Drs office by the staff who KNOWS how old they each are)
I really wierd people out by being so un-di kely as to knit
I JUST BREAK ALL the steriotypes

I knit to escape the chaos of the world, to fill my Quiet times, to create wonderful things, and to piss off my teenaged daughter

I make things for people when I believe I owe them for a Kindness, a Mitzvah
like the guy at the body shop fixing the bumper on my car for free, the FIRST TIME he ever met me
or for my Friends Wife who did a LEEP for me, and asked tht I pay for the pathology and never charged me for ANYTHING else, not her time, not her equiptment, or her staffs time

I really should also start doing one kindness a day without getting caught by anyone
it was challenging and fun

ecb