PDA

View Full Version : knitting pattern central

Lindsey H
03-08-2007, 04:25 PM
I am having trouble getting knittingpatterncentral.com again. When I try I just get MSN Live search. This happened a few weeks ago too :wall: . Is anyone else having trouble :shrug: ?

Stiney
03-08-2007, 04:35 PM
:shrug:

It came right up for me. Are you typing it correctly? Try adding the http://www. at the beginning (sometimes my work computer is dumb and won't load pages without that info. :??

If that doesn't work, try googling it and clicking on the link.

mwedzi
03-08-2007, 04:38 PM
isn't coming up for me, either. i guess it might be temporarily down.

Stonington
03-08-2007, 04:47 PM
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/index.php
It is working now. :woot:

Jan in CA
03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
It's not working for me at all today. :shrug:

Stonington
03-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Very strange.. :??
It's those dang cyber gremlins again!

anne

RachelG
03-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately, due to DNS glitches, it's going to appear for some people and not appear for others for the next few days until everyone picks up the new DNS.

We certainly didn't need or ask for this problem, but it just happened. :pout:

Braden
03-08-2007, 10:13 PM
It comes up for me fine. :shrug:

Stiney
03-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Unfortunately, due to DNS glitches, it's going to appear for some people and not appear for others for the next few days until everyone picks up the new DNS.

We certainly didn't need or ask for this problem, but it just happened. :pout:

Shouldn't either refreshing the page work for people with problems? Or clearing the cache? I forget which.

Edited for clarity.

Jan in CA
03-09-2007, 01:42 AM
What's DNS and how can we get it?

suzeeq
03-09-2007, 01:52 AM
DNS is the address to a website only in numbers instead of letters. Like 206.32.456.252 or something like that. All websites have them, it's just hidden. One of those computer geek things...

sue, only half a geek cause I only know they exist, not how they work, etc.

RachelG
03-09-2007, 06:46 AM
It's not something I give you, it's something your ISP picks up automatically after a few hours/days.

I think.

(ISP = Internet Service Provider)

Stiney
03-09-2007, 11:26 AM
What's DNS and how can we get it?

I would try these steps:

1. In Internet Explorer, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
2. Click the General tab.
3. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files.
4. Click to select the Delete all offline content check box, and then click OK.
5. Click Delete Cookies. When you are prompted to confirm this selection, click OK.
6. Click Settings.
7. Click View Objects.
8. Click View, and then click Details.
9. If Damaged appears in the Status column for any program file, remove that program file.
10. Close the Downloaded Program Files dialog box.
11. In the Settings dialog box, click OK .
12. Under History, click Clear History, and then click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the selection.
13. In the Internet Options dialog box, click OK.
14. Try to browse the Internet.

figaro
03-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I can't get in either. I followed the above instructions and it won't let me on the site still? :shrug: Both FireFox and Internet Explorer say they can't find it.

newbieknit
03-09-2007, 03:32 PM
I can get to the site with no problem.

A DNS issue is not one you can fix on your end. Generally DNS issues come when someone changes their hosting. Changing hosting changes where the website is 'found'.

This would be a server side issue. If hosting has been changed, it can take from a couple hours to days for it to resolve. I'm not certain if this is a case of changed hosting or not, but there isn't anything we can do to 'fix' this... it's all in the hands of the internet gods.

Kats

Jan in CA
03-09-2007, 06:17 PM
I still can't get in and I've cleaned my cache and download history. :shrug:

RachelG
03-09-2007, 06:36 PM
This would be a server side issue. If hosting has been changed, it can take from a couple hours to days for it to resolve. I'm not certain if this is a case of changed hosting or not, but there isn't anything we can do to 'fix' this... it's all in the hands of the internet gods.

Kats

No changed hosting. My server did go down temporarily once this week.

My domain is on Registerfly, which has been having serious issues lately.

Lindsey H
03-09-2007, 08:48 PM
I never heard of such a thing :shrug:. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info.

Rennagayle
03-10-2007, 12:21 PM
I'd never heard of DN's. We learn a myriad of things here. :thumbsup:

I guess my ISP hasn't picked it up yet. Sigh. :nails:

Knitting_Guy
03-10-2007, 03:39 PM
I just checked it myself and there does appear to be a DNS (Domain Name Server) problem. This is often a problem with the host server.

Jan in CA
03-10-2007, 03:41 PM
I miss my KPC!! :waah:

KnittinVegan
03-13-2007, 12:08 PM
I still can't get onto KPC! I've tried with Firefox and Internet Explorer. Help!

momwolf
03-13-2007, 12:28 PM
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php
I got on fine :shrug: try clicking here and see if that gets you there

Jan in CA
03-13-2007, 12:48 PM
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php
I got on fine :shrug: try clicking here and see if that gets you there

Nope. :pout:

momwolf
03-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Bummer :pout: So why is it when I click on it from post I get it and you don't :?? I guess I'm not understanding whats happening here :??

Jan in CA
03-13-2007, 01:15 PM
All it says for me is "server not found blah, blah, blah".. It's terribly frustrating because I use KPC all the time!! :!!!: :!!!: :!!!:

DreamWeaver
03-13-2007, 01:17 PM
:hug: there there, Jan. It won't be broken forever :hug:

I'm getting on fine, so, there's not much I can say. Just warm wishes for those people who are sad without their KPC :muah:

momwolf
03-13-2007, 01:20 PM
I have my computer wiz son working on this for you guys :cheering: He's gonna call me back in 15 to 20 minute.
Hang on Jan :hair: , hopefully he can figure something out :shrug:

momwolf
03-13-2007, 01:53 PM
ok here we go for Internet explorer
Go to tools
internet options
connections
Then click on Lan setting
Check-- use a proxy service for Lan
check---By pass proxy sever for local addresses
Adress box type --proxy.chartermi.com
in port box type 8080
Click OK and thats it

Jan in CA
03-13-2007, 01:56 PM
I hope that works for IE users. I only use Firefox though. :shrug:

ETA: YIKES! I did that with IE figuring I could use it for KPC even though I hate IE, but it didn't work and made it so I couldn't get to any site including DH's homepage! Removed the added info and it works again now. Whew!

Thanks for trying though, Momwolf!

PinkRoses
03-13-2007, 02:02 PM
I've been having a problem with this all day. Good thing I printed my favs. :shrug:

momwolf
03-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Just so happens he gave me info for Firefox
tools
options
click advanced
click network tab
click settings
check box--manual proxy confriguration
http proxy box type in--proxy.chartermi.com
port box type in 8080
click ok

Jan in CA
03-13-2007, 02:12 PM
I don't have a network tab. :shrug:

momwolf
03-13-2007, 02:17 PM
what do u have in advanced options i have son on phondo u have older version of firefox

suzeeq
03-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Me neither, don't have anything after Advanced.

I was able to get to the site before, but not now either. Maybe it's FF's popup blocker?

<allows popups for KPC> Nope, that wasn't it...

sue

Jan in CA
03-13-2007, 02:23 PM
I checked for updates and it said there are none. I update regularly and now have 1.5.0.10.

momwolf
03-13-2007, 02:32 PM
click on General NOT advaned
click -connections settings
then continue as before

Jan in CA
03-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Nope. When I try that I can't get anywhere on the internet. I'll try and contact my cable company and see if they know what's up. I do appreciate all the work you and your son have done to help!

momwolf
03-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Sorry none of this helped :tap: Dan(son) says that contacting internet service would be your next step

suzeeq
03-13-2007, 02:58 PM
I tried it in IE and it does report a DNS problem, which is KPC's server. momwolf, have you hit refresh to see that you're not bringing up a cached copy of the page?

sue

Compulsive
03-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Jan,

I had problems until this morning.

How I got around not accessing KPC directly:

1. go to Google
2. type in knitting pattern central free knitting pattern directory
3. enter

KPC should be one of the first listings

Next:

Click on where it says cached after the Google listing.

You should end up at the directory and able to select a catagory.

If not, go back to Google & type in:

Knitting Pattern Central & one of the catagories you're attempting to access, for example:

Knitting Pattern Central Free Knitting Patterns Women's Clothing

enter

The first choice on Goolge should be the directory within Women's Clothing.

Click the Cached option.

This should take you directly to that page of patterns.

HTH

Stiney
03-13-2007, 03:14 PM
I tried it in IE and it does report a DNS problem, which is KPC's server. momwolf, have you hit refresh to see that you're not bringing up a cached copy of the page?

sue

Sue, the problem is with your ISP most likely. About half of us can't bring up KPC, and the other half can. I can see it, and it's not a cached copy.

suzeeq
03-13-2007, 03:27 PM
But the DNS numbers are for that particular site, right? So it means that some ISPs aren't recognizing them? The funny thing is, when this thread started, I had no problem getting to the site; I just did only today and I haven't changed ISPs in the meantime.

sue

momwolf
03-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Mine works fine :shrug: Had son try on his computer (he has firefox NEWER version )and he couldn't get it either so he did what I printed out for everyone and it came up right away.Jan has old verion so he went to old version and seen they had a different tab listing so he told me the new info but Jan still can't get in :shrug: He says it should of worked :shrug:

momwolf
03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
I think it must be their site :!!!: I just went there and page comes up but nothing else only the pattern of the week which is on elann.com :doh: Mine worked fine this morning :!!!:
Didn't they just do some changes on this site?Maybe it's just them?Does anyone else have problems going anywhere else?

Jan in CA
03-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Compulsive, that worked to get the main page, but every other link doesn't work. :wall:

Momwolf.. I tried to update and it said there weren't any updates. There is a newer version?? I'll have to go check when I get back from haircut appt. Thanks for pointing that out.

momwolf
03-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Yes there is but Dan says not to switch yet they're still getting the bugs out

Stiney
03-13-2007, 04:07 PM
:shrug:

Everything works for me. I'm on a LAN at work, with IE 6.0

Rennagayle
03-13-2007, 04:10 PM
It's still not loading for me, either. :tap:

KnittinVegan
03-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Is it possible for one of you with full access to KPC to find an email address and ask them if they're working on their website? It just doesn't make sense that out of the blue so many of us would have trouble accessing just this one website -- it's got to be something on their end, doesn't it? Thanks!

Jan in CA
03-14-2007, 01:01 AM
KnittinVegan...RachelG is the owner and she is aware of the problem.

KnittinVegan
03-14-2007, 01:05 AM
KnittinVegan...RachelG is the owner and she is aware of the problem.

Awesome. Thanks!

RachelG
03-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Hi...

I am so sorry about this! The server IS up and running (but obviously only for some and not or others...and it seems to be a random thing and not something that is pinpointed to a geographic location or a browser, etc.)

We thought that it would only take a few days for the new DNS to propagate. For the record: Nothing on KPC was changed. We did not switch servers. Nothing was done to "deserve" this. :shrug: My server did go down temporarily last week and after it came up this happened.

Has anybody heard anything new about the problems at Registerfly? That is who has my domain and I know they have issues right now.

Anyway, my hosting rep is out for business trip until tomorrow (Thursday). Rest assured that I will get in touch with him then to have everything fine-tooth-combed to make sure the problem isn't on my end.

Until then...again, my apologies!

momwolf
03-14-2007, 10:34 AM
I thought it was probably on her end.Glad someone contacted her :cheering: guess we should of done that in the beginning :doh:
Oh well glad she is fixing it :happydance:

suzeeq
03-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Yeah, generally when you can't access just one site, and the rest of the internet is fine - it's that one site. Hope she can resolve it soon, I like the improvements.

sue