PDA

View Full Version : no fuss cast on

Ellieblue
03-09-2007, 05:22 PM
I was just about to CO 270sts for a round sweater for my daughter and dreading running out of tail yarn, when it hit me. Since I am using 14 balls of yarn for my project, I will just tie two ends together, CO and then clip off one of the balls. :doh: We think of something new every day don't we. ellie

janelanespaintbrush
03-09-2007, 07:36 PM
I think this is one of those tricks that gets "unvented" (http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1055197&lastnode_id=0) pretty often. ;) I suppose it's not a surprise since great minds think alike... and we knitters are a pretty smart bunch. :happydance: I wonder if anyone has thought of compiling a list of tips in a single thread so these little gems of knowledge that come up here and there in the forums can be found in one place...

BinkyKat
03-09-2007, 09:51 PM
OMG, I read this once before and for some reason couldn't visualize, but now I totally get it! I have a christening gown project that starts our casting on 450 stitches and I sorta prefer the long tail cast-on and did't want to do a knit on...or perhaps i could do a crochet cast-on..
But this makes total sense!!!!
Thanks for bringing it up! :hug:

lucky_alf2
03-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Very neat idea! I just cast on 145st for a banket the other day and stressed beforehand about the tail length too --next time I'll do it this way! TFS!!!

Rennagayle
03-10-2007, 11:54 AM
OMG, I read this once before and for some reason couldn't visualize, but now I totally get it!

I'm having the same problem, only I still don't get it. :??

Knitting_Guy
03-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Pretty clever using a second ball for the tail yarn. No worries about it coming up short. I'll have to remember this one.

losnana
03-10-2007, 01:46 PM
I think this is one of those tricks that gets "unvented" (http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1055197&lastnode_id=0) pretty often. ;) I suppose it's not a surprise since great minds think alike... and we knitters are a pretty smart bunch. :happydance: I wonder if anyone has thought of compiling a list of tips in a single thread so these little gems of knowledge that come up here and there in the forums can be found in one place...

Seems like a thread for tips like this would be a great idea. could even be a "sticky" so we could find it easily. Anyone???

of troy
03-10-2007, 04:06 PM
i have just completed a 4 part tutorial on cast ons..i am a bit of a fanatic on cast on's...
(see my blog--or click here (http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/2007/03/cast-ons-part-1.html#links) to start at part 1-there are links to each part.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

to do a long tail with 2 ball of yarn, take 2 yarns, and make a slip knot from both yarns (don't leave a long tail.. just 6 to 8 inches or so)

put slip knot on needle. (do not count slip knot as a stitch)
now, use one ball for thumb, and one ball for index finger, and continue casting on in 'normal" long tail.

when you have completed the cast on, cut the 'thumb' yarn, and continue to knit with 'index finger yarn'. when you return to end of first row, remove slip knot from needle and undo it.

you end up with 3 yarn tails (2 on side edge, 1 on other side/edge) to weave in. but when you are doing a large cast on, this is a small inconvience compared to not having enough yarn for the tail!

this can also be done decoratively.. use 2 balls of yarn, 1 MC , 1 CC and tie them together.. then do a "normal" Long tail cast on --only you get a contrasting color edge.. a simple, attractive, but slightly different, and definately decorative cast on! (this is show in red and white on part 4 of cast on tutorial.)

Jan in CA
03-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Seems like a thread for tips like this would be a great idea. could even be a "sticky" so we could find it easily. Anyone???

The mods are discussing this. The problem is even with a sticky many people never look at the stickys we have that answer questions. :shrug:

madametj
03-11-2007, 06:23 PM
there is a 13 page list of tips on KPC (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/tips_and_tricks.php?page_number=1) i'm sure a lot of them are from ppl on this forum, i noticed one by ContiKnitter on there.

:happydance:

losnana
03-12-2007, 06:59 AM
Thanks. I've bookmarked that site.

zkimom
03-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Well, it's early and with the time change and all I'm still having a hard time envisioning using 2 balls to cast on with. :whoosh:

I'm slowly getting it though thanks to the post by of troy.

My question is: What's wrong with using a knit on cast on method for projects with lots of stitches? It's pretty easy to do and leaves a nice edge, especially for the bottom of a sweater. I use it often as it eliminates much of the cussin' I do when I run out of yarn before I run out of stitches.

Just wondering.

Susan

As for the stickies, I find that if I have to wade through pages and pages of posts on one thread, my eyes usually glaze over before I get the info I'm looking for. stickies are a great idea for a "go to" folder but there are so many pages in them they are hard to organize.

Knitting_Guy
03-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Well I'm still a very new knitter, but as far as I know there's nothing wrong with a knit on cast on. From my own limited experience the long tail cast on is just faster.

I was using the knit on method to begin with and felt like it was taking way too long. I was really happy when I finally figured out the long tail cast on as it really confused me the first few times I'd tried it.

of troy
03-12-2007, 10:24 AM
every cast on has its uses!
there isn't a single bad cast on in my list of cast ons. (http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/2007/03/cast-ons-part-2.html#links)

but some cast on's are better for some things.

some cast on's are tighter (less stretchy)
some cast on's are stretchier (but harder to do!)

some cast on's are more decorative (but leave more tails to be woven in)
some cast on's are perfect matches for some cast off's.. (but are best done with a crochet hook, not a knitting needle!)

If you only know 1 cast on, it's like only owning a hammer--good for nails, but not for screws!

many cast's are in families (like the long tail family.) once you know the basic long tail, its easy to learn variations--like the "use 2 balls of yarn" version, or the norwegian version, or even the braided/latvian version.

there are times when a tight, less stretch cast on is perfect (cast on 3 or 4 stitches on horizontal button hole, or casting on a bunch of stitches, for a hand of bag..)

there are other cast on's (tubular, channel island) that are very stretchy, and attractive too.. these are great for edging on hats or necklines. these cast on's are bit harder to learn/do than others, but worth the effort (for a piece of knitting that is, in the end, going to hang around your face!)

Until you learn 3 or 4, and see how differently each one behaves, its hard make good choices as to which cast on to use when!