PDA

View Full Version : Childrens' fascination with knitting

EssenceRose
03-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Kids are entranced by the moving needles and lovely yarn! I was watching my son's swimming lesson last week, also doing some mindless knitting while I was at it (as you do). It was a baby hat... a nice and easy K1, P1 for many many rounds -- which mean I could just sit there and not have to actually concentrate on it.

Instead, I was concentrating on the conversation my 6 year old son was having with one of his classmates. It went like this:

Classmate: What is your mum doing?
My son: Knitting
Classmate: Ask her what she's knitting!
My son: I already know what she's knitting! It's a baby hat! (said in an exasperated way as if it SHOULD have been plainly obvious).

I couldn't help but giggle at him! It seems that the knitted garment is a normal thing to my children and it hadn't occured to me the fascination it brings to those who don't knit or know anyone who knits. :rofl: The whole class was rather intrigued by what I was doing. I often get asked by a room full of 6 year olds "What are you doing??" hehe!

Abbily
03-09-2007, 05:34 PM
How funny! I am actually looking forward to swim lessons next month- hopefully that will be two-2 hour blocks of knitting time each week!

My 5 year old daughter really wants to learn how to knit. She's got the idea, but she can't quite control two needles and the working yarn all at once, so I end up with her sitting in my lap so I can catch the needles every time she needs to wrap the yarn. :)

Cristy
03-09-2007, 05:42 PM
awwww....my dd will be 5 in October and she is showing interest but I am POSTIVE that she doesn't have the patience for it...besides...it took me until I was 26 to get enough patience! I really would like to teach her but I just don't think she'll be ready any time soon...just sitting still is hard for her--she has so much energy!!

My dd is taking seim lessons and starts soccer next week...I guess that's what I could do during practice--knit!! w/ soccer it's hard for me to knit b/c her practices are so short and I'm so interested in the sport--it's hard for me not to run out there and be the coach (I played in HS and college).

Abbily
03-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Christy, LOL my dd only sits still for it for about 5 min at a time... she hasn't actually done more than about 10 stitches. :)

I've got 2 dd's and one best friend (of my oldest dd) in swim lessons this time around, so I don't know if I'll get to knit, or if I'll be refereeing the whole time...

Carey

ETA: wow, I just noticed in your sig that you have a 1 month old son?! I'm impressed that you manage to fit in any knitting! :)

Cristy
03-09-2007, 06:01 PM
the folks around here will tell ya that I probably do more talking about ds than knitting lately...but I am sitting here w/ the laptop open and knitting a sock for my dd (was supposed to be for a baby but perhaps my guage was wrong...it'll fit my 4yo!! LOL!!). My little guy is sleeping right now...so he can stay up all night!

Jan in CA
03-09-2007, 06:13 PM
:teehee:

Birdy
03-09-2007, 06:16 PM
I have to say,

I've taught my 7 y/o DS to knit and he is really good. His tension is only a wee bit wonky, and that is because he is afraid to slide the stitches up in case they fall off, so he pulls on the stitch a fair amount.

But he won't really knit often. I just have a nice child sized pair of needles with about 25 stitches across on it and some Red Heart (it puts up with his pulling).

Anyhow... he's done about 3 inches in 3 months.

He'll watch me and grab it and knit for a row (say about 10 mins worth) and then put it away.

And I am thrilled with that :D :heart: :heart:

But it took me a lot of patience to teach them that far

My DD is 5, and she can say the rhyme and knows the idea. She will hold the left needle, and wrap the yarn, but I have to do the rest.

And I am thrilled with that too :D :heart: :heart:

But it took a lot of patience :teehee: And the ability to say, "no more, walk away or Mommy will have to go and lock herself in the bathroom for a few minutes again!" :heart:

samm
03-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Hi there! My son didn't start knitting until he was in his twenties! Now he knits all the time. I don't recall any of the boys asking to learn, and I didn't offer, that I can remember. They were always interested in what I was doing, but didn't want to try it. In the Mason-Dixon book I believe they talk about little kids fingerknitting. And making the long strand with those loops for looms. Kids might like to do that. And then you can knit with whatever they fingerknit? samm

Arielluria
03-09-2007, 06:29 PM
I met a little 4-year old girl and her grandmother at the car dealership and she was fascinated by my knitting too. (actually there were several adults interested ;)).

She was bored stiff waiting for their car to be serviced, so I let her look at my knitting book from which I was making a dog sweater, and she loved the book with all the dog pictures. We got to talking and I showed her how to knit & purl. She thought the little plastic socks on the ends of my needles which hold the stitches in place were cute, so I gave her a pair to keep.

She doesn't have any knitters in her family, so hopefully I helped inspire little Courtney to become a knitter when she grows to have some dexterity. :) I encouraged her grandmother to get something for kids to keep her interested until she does. It was a fun and special meeting ;)

Ali
03-09-2007, 06:46 PM
I taught my son to finger knit (which is like a crochet chain over your finger) when he was four, so he would leave my knitting alone. It kept him occupied for a bit. He is now almost 6 and showing no interest. He also doesn't like any knitted jumpers or vests, the only thing I have made for him with his approval is a crocheted stuffed snake.
My 3 1/2yo DD likes to watch for a bit and used to like stabbing at a ball of yarn with the needles, but doesn't really want to do it. I don't expect her to til she is at least 7 or 8. My one year old DD, LOVEs to play with balls of yarn, and carry them around!

DQ
03-09-2007, 07:15 PM
The only interest my son has in my knitting (he's 18 months) is to drape himself over my lap whenever I pick it up! I try and sneakily pick it up when he's happily playing but he notices in the end. :doh:

Julie
03-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Ali, I taught my daughter to finger knit when she was 4, too :D ...she really wanted to knit like me but I thought we should work on the manual dexterity a bit. ;) Now she's 6 and she can do a simple cast on and knit with some assistance -- she just doesn't get that you have to keep practicing. We finished about 12 rows together and she was all, "okay, done. now I know how to knit." :roflhard:

Ali
03-09-2007, 07:41 PM
:teehee:

5/6 is such a cute age. I keep getting in trouble for calling my son 'baby'. He gets SO offended, but he IS a baby! It just slips out!

bobi1218
03-09-2007, 07:53 PM
My 3yo DS is absolutely fascinated with knitting. He'll even point out other people out in public wearing sweaters and say "Is that knitted, Momma?" He likes to watch me knit, for some weird reason.

My 9 month old DD just likes to get into my knitting bag to unravel yarn and chew on needles.

EssenceRose
03-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Hi, Ali! I like your signature!! LOL I can relate to that... I'm actually an American, but I've been living in NZ for the past 5 years. So of course I had to have a giggle at your siggy! Hehe...

what part of Australia are you from?

Abbily
03-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Finger knitting? What is that? Does anyone have a link?

Carey

Cristy
03-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Ali--I love your sig too--just today I was thinking, "now what the heck is a jumper"....

EssenceRose
03-10-2007, 12:14 AM
It took me a while to learn the different terms when I got here Cristy. I also thought 'what on EARTH is a jumper?" LOL I call it a jersey more than a jumper. But it's just a way of saying sweater. Hehe.

Also, "boot" means "trunk", "jelly" is "jello", "bonnet" is the hood of the car, "duvet" is a blanket/bed spread, and "rubbish" is "garbage".

When I first arrived in NZ, my husband told me he'd put my suitcase into the boot. I actually looked down at my foot and then to him like he was crazy!! :roflhard: I had NO idea what he was talking about! Luckily, the knitting language is universal (mostly). :rofl:

Cristy
03-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Well...at least we are starting to use "duvet" a little more often...

Julie
03-10-2007, 01:24 AM
finger knitting: http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer06/FEATfingerknitting.html

:D

Aquaria
03-10-2007, 03:01 AM
Awww! :teehee: How cute! :hug:
It's wonderful when such things happen! It feels good to know that some people will be interested in your knitting. :)

Mommy22alyns
03-10-2007, 02:57 PM
My soon to be 4 year old daughter was fascinated from the time I bought my first supplies! She said she wanted to learn knitting too, and I had to give her a bit of yarn so she could "knit." Some lacing cards entertained her for a while, but she's still very curious!

rissa
03-10-2007, 06:27 PM
My DD is 5, and she can say the rhyme and knows the idea. She will hold the left needle, and wrap the yarn, but I have to do the rest.

What rhyme is that?? I have 2 dd's one who is 10 who is already knitting and one that is almost 7, I'd love to teach her and I think a nifty rhyme would really help her. :muah:

Birdy
03-10-2007, 07:34 PM
This is terrible, I can't remember exactly how it goes, but I got it from Amy's video. So you should be able find it! Even though I continental knit now, I taught them Throw/American.

For my son, we had to end up changing the explanation completely.

For him, we say the stitches on the left needle are a row of town houses. You go in the door on the neighbours side. Then you grab the yarn and run around the tree in the back yard and tug the yarn down till you can see it at the front door.

Then you shoo the yarn out the door and he elected to keep the "off jumps Jack" bit.

Whatever works though!

DQ
03-10-2007, 07:37 PM
finger knitting: http://www.knitty.com/issuesummer06/FEATfingerknitting.html

:D

Ooh fun! I think I'll try that myself :teehee:

Ali
03-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Hi, Ali! I like your signature!! LOL I can relate to that... I'm actually an American, but I've been living in NZ for the past 5 years. So of course I had to have a giggle at your siggy! Hehe...

what part of Australia are you from?

I live in Melbourne, Victoria.
Oh, and also I'm a Mum (not mom) and I don't say duvet I say doona. I think there may be some people in Australia who do say duvet though, but not the ones from Melbourne.
I grew up near a country town called Albury, which is in New South Wales, on the Victorian border. I just can't bring myself to say 'sweater' so I added the siggy to explain myself. Incidentally, to have a ciggy (pronounced siggy) is to have a cigarette over here.