PDA

View Full Version : Formal KnittingHelp Request

Braden
03-10-2007, 10:39 PM
Now, I'm not a moderator, but I would like to save them trouble by asking everyone to please use the SEARCH FEATURE (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/search.php?/) to try to find asnwers to your questions. That saves the moderators trouble of having to lock posts that discuss the same topic as others. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
03-10-2007, 10:45 PM
:teehee: I take it you've noticed that link in some of the mods signatures?

Mommy22alyns
03-10-2007, 10:58 PM
:oops:

cheley
03-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Sometimes us non moderators don't have time to do a search!!!! And want answers quickly :grrr: SORRY!!!!!!!!

Braden
03-10-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm kind of embarased here, I didn't mean it like that, guys. If you like, I'll delete the post.

redwitch
03-10-2007, 11:22 PM
The thing is that even if you don't have time, that doesn't change the fact that the posts are a waste of time!
Although, in fact, it is faster to search and read the answers already posted, you will get your answers immediately. If you post, you may not get an answer at all, and if you do it will not be immediately!

There are many posts asking 'What is 'gauge?'' and 'what is Magic Loop/ 2 circs and where can I find tutorials/can someone explain how to do it?' when you can find detailed explanations just by Googling, that has always been my preference because it is lazy to ask a question that is explained online extensively! Also faster to find online. Those posts are an extreme, though.

Asking a specific question that has not been answered, on the other hand, no problem - like asking for opinions on subbing wool tension x for one with tension y, or clarification of something where the explanation is still confusing!

Sarah

Braden
03-10-2007, 11:24 PM
The thing is that even if you don't have time, that doesn't change the fact that the posts are a waste of time!
Although, in fact, it is faster to search and read the answers already posted, you will get your answers immediately. If you post, you may not get an answer at all, and if you do it will not be immediately!

There are many posts asking 'What is 'gauge?'' and 'what is Magic Loop/ 2 circs and where can I find tutorials/can someone explain how to do it?' when you can find detailed explanations just by Googling, that has always been my preference because it is lazy to ask a question that is explained online extensively! Also faster to find online. Those posts are an extreme, though.

Asking a specific question that has not been answered, on the other hand, no problem - like asking for opinions on subbing wool tension x for one with tension y, or clarification of something where the explanation is still confusing!

Sarah

Exactly. That's all I meant.

Webigail
03-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Your formal or informal request is pretty rude, particularly since you are NOT a mod.

Not everyone is Intenet saavy, or understands algorithms, but I suppose not everyone possesses tact either.

Braden
03-10-2007, 11:28 PM
OK, I apologize for my rudeness, and lack of concern. I will ask a moderator to delete the post, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

iza
03-10-2007, 11:29 PM
:shrug: I don't see anything wrong or rude by just reminding people that a search tool exist :shrug:

Julie
03-10-2007, 11:31 PM
ITA -- I think that reminding people about the search feature is very helpful and polite -- after all, it serves the fab dual purpose of saving the mods time (combining/moving posts) AND getting posters the answers that they need immediately! What could be nicer? :D

Webigail
03-10-2007, 11:33 PM
:shrug: I don't see anything wrong or rude by just reminding people that a search tool exist :shrug:
It's rude, because although I personally understand how search engines work, many people do not and this is a knitting HELP site; why make people feel as if they cannot ask questions? Better yet, why not utilize the PM function to inform a person, rather than risk the potential of "public" embarrassment?

I'm done.

Braden
03-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Okay, I asked Ingrid to delete the post, so it will be gone soon. Sorry again.

lauraknits
03-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Wow.

I did not think contiknitter was rude at all. I think it's helpful to let people who might not otherwise notice that there IS a search function that might help them to find answers to their questions immediately. I, for one, did not notice the search function at the top of the page right away and assumed for a while that this forum didn't have one. And I AM internet/computer savvy! :oops:

I reaaally don't think any harm was meant....

The think I like most about this forum is that the assumption of goodwill is still here....

That's why I'm here.

iza
03-10-2007, 11:47 PM
:shrug: What can I say? I don't see how anybody could feel offended by your post, ContiKnitter. I should use the search feature more and I'm actually glad you reminded me to use it.

Braden
03-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks, guys.

Webigail
03-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Maybe I misunderstood your intentions. Please, accept my apology. I should have known there was no malice intended. :muah:

Braden
03-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Maybe I misunderstood your intentions. Please, accept my apology. I should have known there was no malice intended. :muah:

That's fine. I really understand where you were coming from. :thumbsup:

Jessica Cobb
03-11-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm glad this is settled. I never saw it as being rude. It was very helpful, and if people don't understand the search funtion obviously they can post a new topic, it isn't a big deal. No one is getting mad because people post questions, it was just a suggestion. I'm sure it was just a reminder to those of us who forget or neglect the search function sometimes. Including me! :teehee:

aineepooh1
03-11-2007, 01:44 AM
I still don't understand what we are supposesd to use the search feature for~!! :noway:

Jan in CA
03-11-2007, 01:56 AM
I still don't understand what we are supposesd to use the search feature for~!! :noway:

Well, here's a screenshot. It's pretty self explanatory though. You put in whatever you want to find. I've search for pattern names to see if anyone else has made it and terms like "increases" or "stockinette curling" will get you lots of help. Sometimes you can find exactly what you needed. If not then by all means ask for help.

I have also used it to find a specific post by another member by putting their name in the search for author as well as a search term. Give it a try. ;)

aineepooh1
03-11-2007, 02:20 AM
Hmmmm... that may take a little practice for me~! :eyebrow:

momwolf
03-11-2007, 02:30 AM
I was just thinking the other day that some of the mods must get tried of explaning the more simple things over & over. :??I have seen the same question asked 2 or 3 times in the same day.Some people don't even check the forum before they ask a question to see if their question has been asked already that day. I am surprised that more people don't use the search button more.Maybe the search button should be made bigger so people see it, and explan how to use it better :shrug: Anyway just my 2cents
LOVE ALL YOU MODS and thanks for all your time and help :muah: :hug: :cheering: :notworthy:

mwedzi
03-11-2007, 09:39 AM
I was thinking this the other day, too. I'm surprised people were so upset by the idea. Most forums I've been on that have an extensive number of posts have a little note at the top that says something like "try searching first".

But, what I was really thinking is that it might be nice to have a FAQ. You know, with things like what gauge is, going up or down a needle size, etc. Not that I'm suggesting it has to be the mods who do this, as I'm sure their plate is already full, just a thought to put out there . . .

Ingrid
03-11-2007, 10:00 AM
It's true that the Search feature may give you 1,895 posts to answer your question, and if you can't narrow it down, by all means, ask.

No one is saying that you are required to search first, it's just a suggestion that there is all kinds of information contained in the hundreds of thousands of posts on the forum. You may find something you didn't know you were looking for! :teehee:

stitchwitch
03-11-2007, 10:22 AM
I belong to a motorcycle and a personal watercraft forum and both of them have a "sticky" post at the top of all forums in a pretty stern voice stating using the search function first. Those that don't are pretty much embarrassed beyond belief for not doing so. I hope that doesn't start to happen here. I'm so used to the stigma of asking a question that already might have been settled that I rarely post any new threads or ask. I usually try and find it first in old threads or search my books.

hydeemarie
03-11-2007, 11:00 AM
I just have to say that if it werent for people who asked questions before the search feature, then we would not have any previous posts to refer to!

Ingrid
03-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Nobody should ever be afraid or embarrassed to ask a question!!

I guess this whole thing is just a reminder that the search feature is there, and it contains a wealth of information, that's all.

PinkRoses
03-11-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm glad this is settled. I never saw it as being rude. It was very helpful, and if people don't understand the search funtion obviously they can post a new topic, it isn't a big deal. No one is getting mad because people post questions, it was just a suggestion. I'm sure it was just a reminder to those of us who forget or neglect the search function sometimes. Including me! :teehee:

I agree 100%. :muah:

Webigail
03-11-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm so sorry I attacked the poor dear. I try to exercise forum etiquette, just took the message the wrong way. I should have minded my own business, hope you all will not think ill of me.

urban_artisan
03-11-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm sorry :( I'm new here and new to knitting. I did try to search for answers before posting my recent question, but I didn't even know what terms to search for. :shrug:

*Edited because I see the post is resolved. I will say that I already felt silly asking questions here among so many advanced knitters, and now I feel even sillier. :oops:

feminine_earth
03-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm sorry :( I'm new here and new to knitting. I did try to search for answers before posting my recent question, but I didn't even know what terms to search for. :shrug:

*Edited because I see the post is resolved. I will say that I already felt silly asking questions here among so many advanced knitters, and now I feel even sillier. :oops:
Please don't feel silly...not everyone on here are advanced knitters. I know I'm not! There are many, many beginners, and nobody should feel silly for asking questions.

When I first started knitting, I had no idea what to search for because I didn't know the proper terms. We all gotta start somewhere. Please stay and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you'd like. :hug:

Jan in CA
03-11-2007, 01:34 PM
No need to feel embarrassed. :hug:

Most of the forums DO have sticky posts at the top with info for the most commonly asked questions (especially the "How-to Questions forum, but they are by no means comprehensive which is why the SEARCH (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/search.php) is so handy. On page 2 of this thread I offered some info about how to search if you need help. This forum has been around for a long time so odds are that someone has asked the question before. However, if after searching you don't find your answer then by all means ask for help. :hug:

Stiney
03-11-2007, 01:46 PM
No need to feel embarrassed. :hug:

Most of the forums DO have sticky posts at the top with info for the most commonly asked questions (especially the "How-to Questions forum, but they are by no means comprehensive which is why the SEARCH (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/search.php) is so handy. On page 2 of this thread I offered some info about how to search if you need help. This forum has been around for a long time so odds are that someone has asked the question before. However, if after searching you don't find your answer then by all means ask for help. :hug:

Or if you don't know what terms to search. :)

Ingrid
03-11-2007, 01:56 PM

I will say it again--NEVER feel silly or embarrassed about asking a question. That's how we learn.

It also gives the newer knitters a chance to proudly answer something they recently learned themselves.

One of the reasons I stick with this forum is that nobody EVER gets rebuked for asking a question--even if it's been answered many times before.

iza
03-11-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm so sorry I attacked the poor dear. I try to exercise forum etiquette, just took the message the wrong way. I should have minded my own business, hope you all will not think ill of me.

:hug: don't worry too much Webigail, it happens to everyone. Sometimes you read the words correctly but don't necessarily get the intention right.
:muah:

I think everything is clear now, and we're back to our good old KnittingHelp forum again, full of friendly people who are completely addicted to knitting and want to know EVERYTHING about it! :teehee:

:heart: :muah:

nadja la claire
03-11-2007, 02:14 PM
I have to admit that I never even noticed the search option before :oops: contiknitter I don't think that you were being rude but the way you said it did come off as.....well....kind of tough on the unobservant people like myself and at 1st glance I was a little ticked off, but thanks for pointing it out and maybe next time you have an observation you'll choose your words more wisely.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

nadja la claire
03-11-2007, 02:24 PM
I belong to a motorcycle and a personal watercraft forum and both of them have a "sticky" post at the top of all forums in a pretty stern voice stating using the search function first. Those that don't are pretty much embarrassed beyond belief for not doing so. I hope that doesn't start to happen here. I'm so used to the stigma of asking a question that already might have been settled that I rarely post any new threads or ask. I usually try and find it first in old threads or search my books.

I think that's terrible :!!!: I come here and ask for advice because I feel comfortable and I know that no one is going to make me feel stupid and as I said in my last post on this thread I never noticed the search feature but just means I'm not very observant I don't think I should be subject to ridicule because of that :!!!: :!!!: I hope this forum never becomes like that.

Nadja xxx

cheley
03-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Yea, you have it right :cheering: I must say, I "was" a newbie when I found this forum, I have asked questions, posted swaps and obtain patterns.....This forum has been awesome...Oh, also purchased Amy's CD last year :happydance: So, I don't think I'll be intimidated or "ebarrassed" to repeat a question that's been asked a million times!!!! We have a choice, use this Forum or not..... :hug: Have a great Day

stitchwitch
03-11-2007, 02:54 PM

I think that's terrible :!!!: I come here and ask for advice because I feel comfortable and I know that no one is going to make me feel stupid and as I said in my last post on this thread I never noticed the search feature but just means I'm not very observant I don't think I should be subject to ridicule because of that :!!!: :!!!: I hope this forum never becomes like that.

Nadja xxx

Yeah, it's icky and I've basically quit looking at those forums because of all the negativity. I can't see that happening here anytime soon unless a bunch of goons hijacks the forum, everyone here is pretty cool, super helpful and I've never felt ill at ease posting here which is something I can't say for other forums. I always leave here with a positive feeling, I like that! :happydance:

Braden
03-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Maybe next time you have an observation you'll choose your words more wisely.

I sure will!

Jax3303
03-11-2007, 04:51 PM
IMHO- Contiknitter shouldn't choose her words more carefully next time. She didn't do anything wrong THIS time. What she said was something that NEEDED to be said. I can't believe you guys actually have issues with what she wrote and how she wrote it. When I see the same old questions time after time, when the same question was just asked and was still on the first freaking page, I purposefully DO NOT answer it in hopes that people will realize (after not getting answers), hey, maybe I should actually use my eyes and fingers and look for the answer.

nadja la claire
03-11-2007, 05:01 PM
IMHO- Contiknitter shouldn't choose her words more carefully next time. She didn't do anything wrong THIS time. What she said was something that NEEDED to be said. I can't believe you guys actually have issues with what she wrote and how she wrote it. When I see the same old questions time after time, when the same question was just asked and was still on the first freaking page, I purposefully DO NOT answer it in hopes that people will realize (after not getting answers), hey, maybe I should actually use my eyes and fingers and look for the answer.

Sorry, next time I'll keep my opinion to myself.

Nadja xxx

Braden
03-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Sorry, next time I'll keep my opinion to myself.

No bother :thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
03-11-2007, 05:58 PM
I think it's time for everyone to just have a glass of wine or whatever you're favorite beverage may be and chill out a bit. Yes, most forums do have a search function, and yes it's always a good idea to try to use it prior to asking a question, but I haven't seen anyone here get upset because a new knitter (like me) asks a common question.

This is one of the most newbie friendly forums I have come across in my many years on the net, and I would surely hate to see that change.

I'm pretty sure one of the first questions I asked on this forum was one that had a nice long thread that addressed it, but at the time I was convinced that I was the only one dumb enough to have that problem. :rofl:

Let's not get too awfully involved with the whole forum etiquette thing and forget that we all share a common interest in the most satisfying art of knitting.

This must be some lunar cycle thing as I've seen folks sniping at each other on a number of forums in the past couple of days who would otherwise get along with each other just fine. Even the guys on my favorite beard forum have been bickering. Geez.

Julie
03-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Even the guys on my favorite beard forum

There really is a forum for everything, isn't there? :rofl:

Ingrid
03-11-2007, 06:39 PM
On that note, I think I'll lock this forum. I feel like a simple suggestion has raised the ire of too many people, unnecessarily.

We are a friendly bunch, and NOBODY should EVER feel rebuffed for asking questions, but we do have a search feature and that has been pointed out.

End of discussion, OK?

BTW--Contiknitter is a he. :teehee:

:grphug: